Connect with us

metro

Bandits: Residents of Sokoto communities relocate to Niger Republic

Published

on

Thousands of residents of 17 communities in the Sabon Birni Local Government Area have relocated to Niger Republic over frequent attacks by bandits.

A member of the Sokoto State House of Assembly, representing Sabon Birni North constituency, Aminu Almustapha Boza, disclosed this

Boza said the villagers are currently taking refuge at Tudun Sunnah village, Gidan Runji Local Government in Maradi State of Niger Republic.

The lawmaker, however, alleged that he made several attempts to see Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal over their plight but to no avail.

“I have been trying to see the governor but he refused to grant me audience because he knows my reason of seeing him.

“Our people are being killed every day. So far, we counted over 50,000 of them taking refuge in Niger Republic. It took us two days to count them in the presence of Governor of Maradi and chairman of Gidan Runji.

“I am regretting joining politics. I know the kind of support we gave the governor during his re-election because he promised us security, development and others but look at it, my people are suffering and he cannot come or send a delegate or even relief materials to them.

“The last time he (Tambuwal) came to our area was after bandits massacred several people in Tarah area last year where he advised my constituents against taking arms to defend themselves,” he alleged.

However, Governor Aminu Tambuwal denied shunning the lawmaker, saying he has been contacting him over the security situation in his constituency.

The governor spoke through his media aide, stating he had facilitated a meeting between the Commissioner of Police, the Director DSS in the state and the lawmaker during which he was directed to contact any one of them in any distressed situation.

 

He added that the member was one of the two members invited for the last security meeting but only that of the Isa Constituency attended.

 

Tambuwal further explained that providing security is a prerogative of the president but despite that the state government would not shy away from its responsibility of ensuring the wellbeing and welfare of its people.

 

Tambuwal also said that he had called the lawmaker last Thursday before departing the state on an official trip.

But the lawmaker denied being invited to attend any security meeting, just as he admitted talking to the governor on the phone last Thursday during which he asked him to call the Minister of Police Affairs, the Chairman Senate Committee on Defence, Senator Aliyu Wamakko, Senator Ibrahim Gobir and the Chief of Army Staff over the security situation in his area.

He said he responded that he was not the “Chief Security officer” of the state.

“That was the only time he called me and those were what he told me to do,” he alleged.

Boza described the condition of the refugees as pathetic because they were staying in an open place with no toilets, food or drugs.

“They are living under the rain and sun, with nothing from the local and state governments. I bought some bags of garrin rogo, rice and mosquito nets with some drugs for them and I will buy more today. My fear is what will happen if there is any outbreak in the camp,” he said.

He noted that over 300 people lost their lives to banditry in Sabon Birni Local Government Area between 2020 and now.

On why he was blaming Governor Tambuwal while he has no control over security operatives, he said that the governor is the Chief Security Officer of his state.

He said, “We have seen what Governor Zulum is doing in Borno State to bring peace to his people. Today, you will see him at the villa, tomorrow either with Chief of Army Staff or Chief of Air Staff or even at the refugee camp and his efforts are paying because Boko Haram members are voluntarily surrendering themselves to the Army.

“Another example is what his friend and our neighbour, the governor of Zamfara State, is doing to restore peace in the state.

“This is what we want to see from Governor Tambuwal – going to places where he knows we can get help, especially now that the Chief of Army Staff is from Sokoto. He should visit him and solicit for his support because there is no way the federal government can come in without the cooperation of the state government.”

metro

Abuja Lady Who Staged Own Kidnap Has Mental Disorder- Police

Published

on

Ameerah Safiyan

The officer of Legal Matters of the FCT police command, Mr James Idachaba, has said that Ameerah Safiyan, the therapist who ”stage managed” her kidnap had mental health challenge.
He said this had occurred before.

Idachaba stated this on Wednesday, after Magistrate Chukwuemeka Nweke, delivered a ruling following a guilty plea Safiyan entered.

”She was discharged by the court going by the medical report carried out in a police medical institution. It was revealed that she had some form of mental health disorder which prompted her behaviour to allege her kidnap.

”At the end of the 12-month probation period, she will be finally cleared, but that if it is discovered during the period she disregarded any of the conditions, the court could extend the probation period or sentence her to a jail term,” he said

The court had earlier discharged her on certain conditions after she was charged on a count charge of giving false information with intent to mislead public servants.

READ ALSO:

After her admission of guilt, the court had attached three conditions to her discharge.

The court ruled that she must be on probation for 12 calendar months, released her to one surety, her father who must enter into a bond to ensure that Safiyan is of good behaviour.

The court in addition ruled that she must be under the supervision of a probation officer, DCP. Hauwa Ibrahim who will monitor her welfare and mental well-being.

The court further directed that she must report once a month its office for her assessment in order to be sure that she continued to maintain good conduct and that her mental state was properly taken care of by the family.

The 23-year-old therapist, a resident of Apo Resettlement, Abuja had on June 14 via her Twitter handle and WhatsApp platform alleged and claimed to have been abducted with 17 others by gunmen wearing police uniform.

The police however, through its Public Relations Officer, CSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, Force Headquarters, in a statement, denied involvement of its officers in the alleged abduction for a ransom.

The police also stated that Safiyan was found somewhere in Lagos and that she had cooked up the kidnap story.

On June 20, she apologised to the public for misleading them to believe her kidnap story.

She made the apology via a tweet where she stated that everything she had said in her previous tweet which stirred uproar was just a result of her own delusion and negative thinking.

NPO

Continue Reading

metro

Ekweremadu: Senate Dispatches Delegation To UK

Published

on

Former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu

The Senate has raised a delegation to the United Kingdom to meet with the former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, who is facing an organ harvesting charge in the European country.

Senate President Ahmad Lawan disclosed this on Wednesday after the Red Chamber emerged from a closed-door session, which lasted for about an hour. 

Lawan said the delegation, which comprised of members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, will leave for London on Friday. 

The Senate President said the decision to wade into Ekweremadu’s arrest and detention was against the backdrop of a briefing received by the Nigerian High Commissioner to London.

He further disclosed that the Senate would engage the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Nigerian High Commission in London on the recent arrest of Ekweremadu.
He said, “I had a personal engagement with our Nigerian High Commissioner to Britain, Alhaji Isola Sarafa, who has done so well to establish contact with our colleague, who has been able to get his team to be in the court at Uxbridge  where Ekweremadu was taken to.
READ ALSO:
“The high Commission has also been able to provide some consular services that include the engagement of some lawyers who will defend our colleague.
“We commend them for giving attention to the issue at stake. Equally, the Nigeria Foreign Affairs Minister has been engaged here, so that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs takes steps to provide diplomatic support for our colleague.
“Because this issue is already in court, we have limited opportunity to discuss beyond what we have done so far.
“But I want to ensure the family of our colleague, Senator Ike Ekweremadu and Nigerians, that the Senate will continue to engage with our ministry of foreign affairs as well as our high commission in London.
“The High Commission has done so much but we still expect that it will continue to provide any other further consular services.
“We have also mandated our committee on foreign affairs to engage with the British high commission here in Nigeria, to find more details on this case, as  as far as the high commission is involved.
“There will be a delegation to London to see Senator Ike Ekweremadu and his wife. A delegation from the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs of the Senate will leave in the next two days to London for that purpose.
“I want to urge all all federal government institutions that can do anything to ensure that Justice prevails in this case, that they do so.”
The closed door session which started about 10:57 a.m ended at 11:49 a.m.
Continue Reading

metro

2023: Court rejects motion seeking Tinubu, Atiku’s disqualification

Published

on

Atiku Abubakar and Bola Ahmed Tinubu

A Federal High Court, in Abuja, has refused to grant a motion, seeking an order compelling Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from accepting Bola Tinubu as the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC)’s candidate for the 2023 presidential election.

Similarly, the court declined to grant the prayer, asking INEC from recognising Atiku Abubakar as the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)’s presidential candidate for the next year’s poll.

Justice Inyang Ekwo, in a ruling Tuesday, instead ordered the plaintiffs; Incorporated Trustees of Rights for All International (RAI) and Northern Nigerian Youth Democrats (NNYD) to put all the defendants on notice.

 Justice Ekwo, who refused to grant prayers one, two and three in the ex-parte motion marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/942/2022 which was dated and filed June 22 by the plaintiffs’ counsel, Kingdom Okere, however granted prayers four, five and six.

The judge further ordered the lawyer to effect service of the court papers on the defendants within seven days of the order and adjourned until July 14 for further mention.

READ ALSO:

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that RAI and NNYD, through their lawyer, had filed the motion seeking for six orders.

Listed as defendants in the application include the APC, PDP, Tinubu, Atiku, Nyesom Wike, Bukola Saraki, Anyim Pius Anyim, Bala Mohammed, Udom Emmanuel, Terella Diana, Dele Momodu, Ayo Fayose, Charles Ugwu and Chikwendu Kalu as 1st to 14th defendants respectively.

Others are Sam Ohuabunwa, Chukwuemeka Nwajuba, Pastor Tunde Bakare, Ahmad Yerima, Rochas Okorocha, Tein Jack-Rich, Ben Ayade, David Umahi, Dr Ahmad Lawal, Yemi Osinbajo, Rotimi Amaechi, Yahaya Bello, Ogbonnaya Onu, Chief Ikeobasi Mokelu, INEC and EFCC as 15th to 30th respectively.

Among the orders the court declined include “an order restraining, prohibiting and barring the 29th defendant (INEC) from accepting the nomination of the 3rd and 4th defendants (Tinubu and Atiku) as the presidential candidates of the 1st and 2nd defendants (APC and PDP) for the 2023 presidential election pending the hearing of the motion on notice or as may otherwise be directed by the Hon. Court.

“An order directing all parties in this suit to maintain status quo which existed before the suit pending as may otherwise be directed by this Hon. Court.

“An directing speedy hearing/fast-tracking of this suit and abridging the time within which the plaintiffs and defendants may file their respective defence/responses in this suit to five days from the date of granting this application.”

But the court granted an order of substituted service on Tinubu, Atiku, Wike, Saraki, Nwajuba, Bakare, Yarima, Okorocha, Jack-Rich, among others.

It also granted an order of substituted service on all the defendants through a publication of only the originating summons in a national daily.

Okere, who gave seven grounds why the orders should be granted, said the “suit is a public interest suit that seeks to promote constitutional democracy, rule of law, the Federal Character Principle and principles of equity, justice and fairness in holding the office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” among others.

In the originating summons, the lawyer wants the court to determine “whether having regard to the clear, unambiguous and express provisions, spirit and tenor of ARTICLES 11 (A) (I), 12 (1) AND 13 (1) of the Constitution of the APC, 2014 (as amended), the special national convention of the 1st defendant held on the June 6 and June 7 was properly constituted as regards the composition of delegates who should attend and vote at the said convention.

“Whether having regard to the clear, unambiguous and express provisions, spirit and tenor of Section 33 (1) AND (5) (C) of the Constitution of the PDP, 2017, (as amended), the special national convention of the 2nd defendant held on the May 28 and May 29 was properly constituted as regards the composition of delegates who should attend and vote at the said convention,” among others. NAN/EAGLE

Continue Reading

Trending