Business
Banks to digitise FX sales, threaten to sanction fraudulent customers
The bankers’ committee, on Thursday, announced plans to begin the sale of foreign exchange to customers through the platform of the Nigerian Inter-bank Settlement System Plc (NIBSS).
The committee is a forum of chief executives of Nigerian banks and the directors of the different departments of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), with the CBN governor as chairman.
Last month at the monetary policy committee (MPC) meeting, the apex bank said it would no longer sell FX to Bureau De Change operators(BDCs).
Godwin Emefiele, CBN governor, said the apex bank would channel weekly allocations of dollar sales to commercial banks to meet legitimate FX demands.
Speaking with journalists at the end of the bankers’ committee meeting, Segun Agbaje, group managing director of Guarantee Trust Holding Company (GTCO), said that foreign exchange for personal travel allowance (PTA), tuition fees, among others, would soon be sold online.
At the Thursday meeting, the committee discussed the state of economy, foreign exchange (FX) policies and stoppage of FX to BDCs and the ongoing rehabilitation of the National Arts Theatre which is aimed at repositioning Nigeria on the global tourism map.
“I hope that many of you will see that the new Foreign Exchange policy with regards to Invisibles, Personal Travel Allowance (PTA), Basic Travel Allowance (BTA), tuition fees, and medical payments, is working very well,” NAN quoted Agbaje to have said.
“We have taken it upon ourselves along with the regulator to make sure that this works; and this is just the first phase and if you noticed most of the things you are doing today, you are going into the branches to do most things.
“But, we are going to also try to digitise this whole thing the way the world is going; and that is being done by Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System Plc (NIBSS) where you will be able to buy online.”
According to him, the NIBSS already has a portal, through which banks share information on the application process.
Agbaje warned fraudulent individuals to have a change of mind as any one caught would not be able to do anything in the banking system again.
He further said the punishment would not only be meted to fraudulent individuals, but also to any bank and staff that contravened the apex bank’s rules.
In addition to digitising, Agbaje expressed the hope that customers would no longer carry out all their transactions by cash.
“The world today is not friendly about arriving in countries with cash, so we are hoping that people will be able to put this on their cards and card account,” he said.
“If you use a card, there is more KYC that can easily be done! It will be quicker, cheaper and faster, you will be less harassed when you arrive in countries and there will be no need for you to fill a cash declaration form.”
Speaking on the rehabilitation of the National Arts Theatre, Herbert Wigwe, managing director of Access Bank, said the entire project would be completed December 2022.
“What I want to say is just to let the public know that work has started in earnest,” Wigwe said.
“There is a second module to the national theatre which has to do with music, fashion, information technology as well as the film industry.
“What that does, apart from National Theatre, which can host major events, people can work on different structures in which they can rent, build spaces around them, to do whatever creative thing they need to do so long as valuable products will be coming out of it.
“So that second phase will start shortly, I think most of the contracts will be awarded sometime in September.
“And we expect that the entire project should be completed, that is, the National theatre and the various vatican should be ready by December 2022.”
Business
Nigerian Equities Post World’s Second-Best Dollar Returns in 2026, Recover $21bn
Nigerian Equities Post World’s Second-Best Dollar Returns in 2026, Recover $21bn
Nigerian equities have emerged as one of the best-performing stock markets globally in 2026, delivering the world’s second-best dollar returns after years of currency-driven losses and weak investor sentiment. The local market has risen 31 percent in dollar terms this year, helping investors recoup about $21 billion in market value lost following the sharp naira devaluation in 2024.
Market capitalisation on the Nigerian Exchange Group has climbed to approximately $84 billion, representing a 58 percent increase from levels recorded before the currency collapse. According to Bloomberg, Nigeria’s benchmark equity index has surged 31 percent year-to-date, significantly outperforming global peers. The rally far outpaces the 11 percent gain in the broader emerging-market index and the 6.4 percent advance recorded by frontier-market stocks.
Analysts attribute the sharp rebound to a combination of stronger corporate earnings, exchange-rate stability, and renewed investor confidence following wide-ranging economic reforms. Olabode Williams, an analyst at SBG Securities Ltd, said companies hardest hit by the naira’s earlier collapse have now stabilised their balance sheets and returned to profitability. He noted that investors are increasingly pricing in growth as corporate fundamentals improve, adding that Nigerian equities are becoming more attractive to both local and foreign investors after years of underperformance.
READ ALSO:
- Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
- Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
- Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet
The rally has also been supported by a firmer naira, which has appreciated by more than seven percent against the dollar in 2026, ranking as the world’s second-best performing currency among those tracked by Bloomberg. The currency rebound has strengthened dollar-based equity returns and helped reverse losses triggered by earlier exchange-rate volatility.
Foreign participation has increased sharply alongside the rally. Data from the Nigerian Exchange Group shows that non-Nigerian trading in local equities reached a 19-year high in 2025. Transactions by foreign investors tripled to ₦2.65 trillion ($1.97 billion) from ₦852 billion in the previous year, reflecting renewed global appetite for Nigerian risk assets.
Market analysts believe the rally could extend further if major listings materialise. Gloria Fadipe, an analyst at CSL Stockbrokers Ltd, a unit of FCMB Group Plc, said the market could exceed $100 billion in valuation this year if large-scale listings proceed. She noted that potential listings of Dangote Refinery and Dangote Fertiliser could deliver capital gains of up to 34 percent while deepening market liquidity.
The rebound comes amid broader macroeconomic reforms introduced by Bola Tinubu, including the unification and liberalisation of the foreign-exchange market. While the reforms initially triggered volatility and inflationary pressure, economists say they are restoring policy credibility, improving capital inflows, and repositioning Nigerian assets for sustained long-term growth.
Nigerian Equities Post World’s Second-Best Dollar Returns in 2026, Recover $21bn
Business
Naira Maintains Stability Against Dollar as CBN FX Measures Keep Markets Calm
Naira Maintains Stability Against Dollar as CBN FX Measures Keep Markets Calm
The Nigerian Naira showed relative stability against the United States Dollar during Tuesday, February 17, 2026, trading sessions in both official and parallel foreign exchange markets. After a weekend of consolidation, the local currency continued to hover around the ₦1,350 band, reflecting the effectiveness of the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) liquidity management policies.
In the official Nigerian Foreign Exchange Market (NFEM), the Naira opened at ₦1,351.18 per dollar and adjusted slightly by mid-morning to ₦1,354.86, a movement attributed to early-week corporate demand. Analysts say the Electronic Foreign Exchange Matching System (EFEMS) and the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) have helped anchor the official exchange rate below the ₦1,400 mark for over two weeks, providing a predictable environment for businesses and investors.
READ ALSO:
- 28 Wedding Guests Die in Separate Road, Boat Accidents in Enugu, Kebbi
- FG, Progressive Governors Forum Pledge ₦8bn Relief for Singer Market Fire Victims
- Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results
Meanwhile, in the parallel market, the Naira traded at a traditional premium, ranging from ₦1,380 to ₦1,440 per dollar in commercial hubs like Lagos, Abuja, and Kano. Traders reported sufficient dollar supply for personal travel and small-scale business transactions, noting that the narrowing gap between official and parallel rates has discouraged speculative hoarding and improved market efficiency.
Recent CBN interventions, including expanding access to licensed Bureau De Change operators and enforcing regulatory compliance, have strengthened FX liquidity, allowing for more transparent price discovery. Combined with Nigeria’s moderating inflation rates and robust external reserves of around $49 billion, these measures have bolstered confidence in the Naira and helped limit excessive volatility.
Market watchers, however, caution that challenges remain, including uneven foreign exchange inflows and persistent demand pressures in the informal sector. Sustaining the Naira’s stability in the coming weeks will depend on continued policy consistency, enhanced liquidity provision, and investor participation across sectors.
Summary of Rates on February 17, 2026:
- Official NFEM Opening: ₦1,351.18 per $1
- Official NFEM Mid-Morning: ₦1,354.86 per $1
- Parallel Market Range: ₦1,380 – ₦1,440 per $1
Analysts remain cautiously optimistic that the Naira can maintain its stability and momentum for the remainder of February, provided that external reserves and FX supply measures continue to support the market.
Naira Maintains Stability Against Dollar as CBN FX Measures Keep Markets Calm
Business
Dokpesi Jr, Ex-GMD Akiotu Clash Over DAAR Communications Mgt Restructuring
Dokpesi Jr, Ex-GMD Akiotu Clash Over DAAR Communications Mgt Restructuring
A public dispute has erupted at DAAR Communications Plc as Chairman Raymond Dokpesi Jr and former Group Managing Director, High Chief Tony Akiotu, publicly clashed over the company’s recent management restructuring, raising questions about corporate governance and the legacy of Nigeria’s pioneering media organisation.
Speaking in Abuja, Dokpesi Jr defended the executive shake-up, stating he has “no regrets” about the decisions made following the sudden death of the company’s founder, Raymond Aleogho Dokpesi Sr. He described the departure of long-serving executives as a difficult but necessary step to ensure stability, investor confidence, and future growth. The chairman noted that the company faced challenges after his father’s passing, including declining share value and reduced investor confidence, and emphasised that the transition process was carefully managed to minimise tension.
READ ALSO:
- EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations
- Troops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations
- X Restored After Global Outage Disrupts Millions Worldwide
Dokpesi Jr acknowledged that the exiting executives were owed salary arrears and other entitlements, which the organisation has been settling, amounting to billions of naira accumulated over their 15-year tenure. He explained that the restructuring allowed the company to prioritise outstanding obligations and improve operational efficiency, with most business units now financially independent and others expected to achieve autonomy before the end of the year. “I will continue to apologise to Mr Tony Akiotu and the affected management staff for any hurt feelings,” he said, “but I have no regrets — the results validate the decision.”
In response, Akiotu criticised Dokpesi Jr’s statement as unfair and misleading. He argued that it was inappropriate for a chairman who presided over board meetings and approved management memos to later accuse the same leadership team of mismanagement. Akiotu highlighted that all major operational and financial decisions during his tenure were subject to board approval, and that the team had contributed significantly to the company’s growth into a national and international media brand, with operations spanning Nigeria, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Akiotu also noted that while executive retirements may be permissible under corporate regulations, the public portrayal of their tenure overlooked the sacrifices made to build one of Nigeria’s pioneering broadcast institutions. “If Raymond Dokpesi Jr believes we played no part in the growth of the company, we leave it to Nigerians and history to make that judgment,” he said.
Industry observers say the dispute underscores ongoing debates about corporate governance, leadership succession, and strategic reform within DAAR Communications, which continues to be a major player in Nigeria’s broadcast media sector. Both parties have called for dialogue, but the public nature of the clash has drawn attention across the media and business community, with speculation over potential boardroom changes and the company’s future direction.
Dokpesi Jr, Ex-GMD Akiotu Clash Over DAAR Communications Mgt Restructuring
-
News1 day agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro1 day agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
metro2 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News1 day agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
Entertainment2 days agoMystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
-
metro2 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
Auto2 days agoAppeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
-
News2 days agoTeargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives


