Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been charged with two more counts of rape, the Crown Prosecution Service said.
The CPS said in a statement today that it had authorised Cheshire police to charge the defender with two additional counts of rape and Louis Saha Matturie, 40, with two additional counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
Mendy, of Withinlee Road, Prestbury, Cheshire, and Matturie, of Edwin Court, Eccles, will appear at Stockport Magistrates’ Court on November 17.
Mendy, 27, now faces six counts of rape and one of sexual assault which relate to four complainants over the age of 16.
He has been remanded in custody since his first appearance at the magistrates’ court on August 27.
- BREAKING: Residents killed as gas explodes in Lagos community[UPDATED]
- Twin bomb blasts rock Uganda’s capital city
- FULL LIST: Nine dead, Four missing… Lagos #EndSARS panel lists 48 victims of Lekki shooting
- ‘Bandits are living in fool’s paradise’ – Buhari reacts to killing of 15 people in Sokoto
So far no pleas have been entered to the charges.
At a previous hearing at the magistrates’ court, Christopher Stables, representing Mr Mendy, said that his client strenuously denies the allegations.
A provisional trial date was set for January 24 next year with an estimated length of two and a half weeks.
Following his charging by Cheshire Police in August, Manchester City said Mr Mendy, who the Blues signed from Monaco in 2017, had been suspended “pending an investigation.”
“The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete” they added.
Team Nigeria @ Commonwealth Games will get presidential reception – Minister
Members of the historic Team Nigeria to the 2022 Commonwealth Games will receive a presidential reception, Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, has said.
Team Nigeria achieved its best performance ever at the Commonwealth Games at the 2022 edition in Birmingham, winning 12 gold, nine silver and 14 bronze medals.
Speaking with Team Nigeria athletes on Monday, Dare praised them for bringing the country into global focus for positive reasons.
A statement by the minister’s media office quoted him as saying, “I followed every moment of your competition. I was in Birmingham from the beginning till I had to leave for other official engagements. So many Nigerians followed you too. We are all so proud of what you achieved for Nigeria and yourselves.
“Mr President is also very proud of you and has approved that a presidential reception be held to honour you for the historic feat at Birmingham 2022.
“We will immediately start to plan for the reception and once we have tightened things up, we will announce the date, invite you over from your different bases and you will have that privilege of meeting Mr President.
“Nigeria will appreciate you for the great acts of sacrifice, patriotism and determination to excel that you all have demonstrated here whether you have a medal around your neck or not.”
Meanwhile, Group Chief Executive of Oando Plc, Wale Tinubu, has announced that his company will give cash rewards to all Team Nigeria medallists at the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Tinubu said his company would match whatever cash reward was already in place for the athletes by the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development.
This implies that gold medal winners will get another $5,000, Silver medal winners ($3,000) and Bronze medal winners, ($2,000) from him.
Golden Sunday for Nigeria as Brume takes country CWG gold medals to 12
Nigeria ended its participation at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games on Sunday hauling a number of gold medals, with Long Jump sensational Ese Brume leaping 7m to hit gold. This took the country’s gold medals to 12 at the tournament.
The victory dance started in the morning at the Alexander Stadium, where the quartet of Tobi Amusan, Favour Ofili, Rose Chukwuma and Grace Nwokocha won the 4x100m women’s relay race.
The quartet also set a new African record of 42.10s to win the country’s 11th gold medal in what has turned out to become Nigeria’s best outing at the Commonwealth Games.
The 4x100m women team included Tobi Amusan, Favour Ofili, Rose Chukwuma and anchor, Grace Nwokocha.
Earlier, the quartet of Udodi Onwuzurike, Favour Ashe, Alaba Akintola and Raymond Ekevwo won the bronze medal in the men’s 4x100m event won by the English team. The Nigerian men finished in a time of 38.81s to make it to the podium.
Ofili on Saturday became the third Nigerian woman after Mary Onyali (1994) and Blessing Okagbare (2014) to win a medal in the 200m at the Commonwealth Games.
The 19-year-old ran 22.51 seconds to place second behind Jamaica’s Elaine Thompson-Herah (22.02s Games record), the Tokyo Olympics double sprint champion.
Namibia’s Tokyo Olympics 200m silver medalist, Christine Mboma, finished third in 22.80 seconds.
Ofili’s silver medal win is the second such medal Nigeria has won in the event after Mary Onyali, who ran 22.35 seconds to place second behind Australia’s Cathy Freeman in 1994.
Nigeria’s record in the event now reads one gold after Blessing Okagbare’s 22.25 seconds blistering run eight years ago in Glasgow, Scotland and two silver medals.
Interestingly, the three Nigerians that qualified to run in the final of the half-lap event have ended on the podium.
In the last field event of the day, Ese Brume made 7.00 metres in the long jump to break her Commonwealth Games record and added another gold medal to Nigeria’s kitty.
Earlier, Elizabeth Oshoba failed in her attempt to win a gold medal in the women’s featherweight boxing final, losing 5-0 to Northern Ireland’s Michaela Walsh. She got a silver medal for her efforts.
The women’s 4×400 metres relay team were not luckier as they could only finish seventh in the race won by England. Canada took the silver, while the bronze medal went to Jamaica.
With 12 gold medals in the kitty, Nigeria made it her best-ever show at the Commonwealth Games.
Man United stunned 1-2 by Brighton in 2022/23 EPL first match
Manchester United started the 2022/23 English Premier League on a disappointing note under a new manager, Erik ten Haag, losing 1-2 to Brighton at home on Sunday afternoon.
Brighton had never won at Old Trafford. But they made history when Pascal Groß got his first of the day to put the visitors ahead in the 30th minute, according gto Vanguard.
Despite being inferior in post-match statistics, the Seagulls made life difficult for United for the entire duration of the game.
Football365 also reports that Erik ten Hag was brought to the club in the summer to begin a rebuild on the back of a slump that has seen them go five years without winning a trophy and there is not going to be a quick fix.
Starting with Cristiano Ronaldo on the bench, United were thoroughly outplayed in the first half as two Pascal Gross goals in the space of nine minutes gave the Seagulls a deserved lead.
Ten Hag’s men did improve after the break once Ronaldo had come on, but only found the back of the net through an Alexis Mac Allister own goal and were unable to get a leveller.
It was a worthy three points for Brighton, who have high expectations this season despite losing key players in the summer, and they enjoyed a first-ever win at Old Trafford.
It was 93 days since the nadir of Ralf Rangnick’s reign saw United hammered 4-0 at the Amex Stadium at the end of last season, but not much has changed on the pitch yet from that afternoon.
Despite their early arrival at the ground, United were caught cold in a hugely disappointing opening 45 minutes and were nearly behind in the opening 15 seconds.
Leandro Trossard pressed Diogo Dalot on the edge of the penalty area, stole possession but could only fire into the side-netting.
Having averted early disaster, it looked like United were going to take control as they forged a great chance to score in the eighth minute.
Scott McTominay got in down the right and his blocked shot fell perfectly for Bruno Fernandes, but the Portuguese blazed his effort well over.
But from then Brighton asserted themselves and they deservedly took the lead on the half-hour.
McTominay was robbed of possession by Moises Caicedo, who found Danny Welbeck’s clever run between the two centre-halves, and the ex-United striker picked out Gross at the far post, with the midfielder having an easy tap-in.
Things got worse for United nine minutes later as Brighton doubled their lead after they sliced through the Red Devils in just four passes.
Saudi Explains Why Lightning Can Only Strike Crescent Moon on Holy Mosque’s Towers
El-Rufai: Not Even My Corpse Will Be Found Near PDP
JUST IN: Air Peace Suspends Flights To South Africa Over Aviation Fuel, Visa Delay
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
American preacher, Creflo Dollar confesses he misled congregants, says tithing not biblical + Video
[UPDATED]Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna + Video
Lagos mother fights off suspected ritualist attempting to abduct kids + VIDEO
Politics1 week ago
Many Shut Out As INEC Ends Voters’ Registration
Politics1 week ago
2023: Misguided Elements Out To Stoke Religious, Ethnic Divisions — Tinubu
Sports1 week ago
Nigeria wins first gold medal in weightlifting at 2022 Commonwealth Games
metro1 week ago
Terror: Lagos police, South-West Amotekun on alert
Entertainment1 week ago
Two Nollywood stars abducted in Enugu
metro1 week ago
Kwara Court sentences two sureties over failure to produce suspects
metro1 week ago
Maiduguri agog as Tinubu, govs, Dangote, others attend Shettima daughter’s wedding
News1 week ago
Nigeria may collapse soon, nowhere is safe, Northern CAN warns