Connect with us

News

Facebook changes name to ‘Meta’

Published

on

Mark Zuckerberg

Social media giant, Facebook has changed its name to Meta.

Facebook made the statement on its official social media pages.

According to Facebook chief, Mark Zuckerberg, the parent company’s name is being changed to “Meta” to represent a future beyond just its troubled social network.

Speaking during the annual developer conference, he said, “We’ve learned a lot from struggling with social issues and living under closed platforms, and now it is time to take everything that we’ve learned and help build the next chapter.

“The metaverse is the next evolution of social connection. It’s a collective project that will be created by people all over the world, and open to everyone. You’ll be able to socialize, learn, collaborate and play in ways that go beyond what’s possible today.

“Whether you’re imagining feeling closer to your long-distance family members or dancing with your friends wherever they are, share your vision for the future in the comments below.”

Daily Post

News

Saudi Explains Why Lightning Can Only Strike Crescent Moon on Holy Mosque’s Towers

Published

on

The Holy Mosque in Saudi (Masjid Al Haram and Masjid Al-Nabawi) has explained in a tweet on Sunday night why lighting only strikes the Crescent Moon on the clock tower.

The mosque, through its handle @theholymosques stated that the lightning only strikes the crescent on the clock tower because of the Makkah clock which consists of 20 automatically extending lightning conductors and 800 fixed rods to protect the watch and lights from lightning.

READ ALSO:

“The lightning only strikes the crescent moon on top of the clock tower because the Makkah clock contains 20 automatically extending lightning conductors and 800 fixed rods to protect the watch and lights from the lightning.”
The Holy Mosque attracts millions of worshippers annually.

Continue Reading

News

El-Rufai: Not Even My Corpse Will Be Found Near PDP

Published

on

Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State

Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has said he can never decamp to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

El-Rufai said this while reacting to claim of Daniel Bwala, spokesperson of PDP presidential campaign, that he would soon dump the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

In a tweet, Bwala who until recently was a member of the APC, said he was optimistic that El-Rufai would be in the PDP even before the 2023 elections.

READ ALSO:

“My attention was drawn to @elrufai laughing at a comment made about me on my past video. Hmm @elrufai is one of the finest we have from the north, I will never join issues with him, especially because I am optimistic he will be with us before the 2023 elections,” he tweeted.

Reacting, El-Rufai quoted the tweet and wrote: “Thanks @BwalaDaniel but no, thanks. Never ever, not even my corpse will be found in the vicinities of your new-found political party. I still dey laugh!!! – @elrufai.”

Bwala recently announced his resignation from the ruling APC to the PDP over the decision of former presidential candidate for the 2023 elections, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu’s choice of a Muslim-Muslim ticket.

Before decamping, Bwala made a lot of TV appearances where he harshly criticised the opposition PDP, his new party.

Just last week, he was appointed alongside a former federal lawmaker, Senator Dino Melaye, as spokesperson of the Atiku Presidential Campaign for next year’s elections.

Continue Reading

News

Court to hear ‘certificate forgery’ suit against Tinubu Sept 7

Published

on

A federal high court in Abuja has fixed September 7 for the hearing in a suit seeking the disqualification of the presidential candidate of All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, from contesting in the 2023 elections.

The plaintiffs, four APC chieftains, are asking the court to rule that Tinubu is ineligible to run for president in the 2023 presidential election as the party’s candidate because he allegedly submitted false information to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

In a 33-paragraph affidavit in support of the suit deposed to by one Ibiang Miko Ibiang, the plaintiffs averred that Tinubu falsely swore to an affidavit in 1999 in which he claimed to have attended St Paul Aroloya Children Home School, Ibadan -1958-64, and Government College, Ibadan -1965-68 and presented the same to INEC.

Tlaintiffs said the deposition was untrue. They claimed in his INEC form for the 2023 elections that Tinubu refused to include any information about his primary and secondary schools in order to hide the alleged false information he gave INEC.

The plaintiffs are praying the court to determine “Whether having regard to the provision of sections 1 (3); 4(1)and 2; 14(1),(2)(a), and (c)and 42(1)(a)and (b) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended), the provision of section 29(5)of the Electoral Act, 2022 as enacted by the 4th defendant which modified the provision section 31(5) of the Electoral Act,2010(as amended) is not ultra vires the 4th Defendant and therefore unconstitutional, null, void and of no effect whatever.

“Whether having regard to the decision of the supreme court in the case Modibbo Vs Usman (2020) 3 NWLR(PT.1712)470 and the provision of section 137(1)(j) the 3rd defendant has not presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) the 1st defendant and thereby disqualified from participating in the forthcoming 2023 presidential general election,” they said.

Upon the favourable determination of the questions, the plaintiffs are asking for “a declaration that the 3rd defendant (Tinubu) has presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission for the purpose of seeking to be elected into the office of president of the federal republic of Nigeria”.

“A declaration that the 3rd defendant stands disqualified from participating in the 2023 presidential election as a candidate of the 2nd defendant has presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission for the purpose of seeking to be elected into the office of the president of the federal republic of Nigeria.

“An order disqualifying the 3rd Defendant from contesting or participating in the forthcoming 2023 presidential general election as a candidate of the 2nd defendant.

Ruling on an ex parte application, Ahmed Mohammed, the judge, granted an order for substituted service on Tinubu after the plaintiffs’ counsel, Goddy Uche, told the court that substituted service has become necessary because all attempts to serve the presidential candidate proved abortive.

The court ordered that court processes should be served on the national secretariat of the APC and that such service shall be deemed as having been properly served on Tinubu.

Continue Reading

Trending