Former Oyo governor Alao-Akala dies at 71 – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Former Oyo governor Alao-Akala dies at 71

Published

on

A former Governor of Oyo State, Otunba Christopher Alao-Akala, is dead. He was aged 71.

Akala was the governor of the state between 2007 and 2011.

Although details of his death are sketchy, sources close to the politician confirmed the tragic incident on Wednesday.

The politician, who had been battling terminal ailment for a while, died in his Ogbomoso country home, on Wednesday morning, according to sources.

Daily Trust also quoted a source at the All Progressives Congress (APC) as confirming Akala’s death, adding that he died in his room.

“It is true that Oga is dead. He died in the early hours of Wednesday in his room in Ogbomoso. He was full of life last night. In fact, I head he was playing with his children before he went to bed. We are in a mourning mood now,” he said.

Born on June 3, 1950, at Ogbomoso in the Ogbomoso North Local Government Area of Oyo State, Alao-Akala had his elementary school at Osupa Baptist Day School, Ogbomoso before proceeding to Kamina Barracks Middle School, 5th Battalion of Infantry in Tamale, Ghana.

This is the third known death of prominent personalities from Ogbomosho in a month.

On December 12, 2021, Oba Oladunni Oyewumi, the Soun of Ogbomoso, passed on.

On January 8, 2022, Prof Taibat Danmole, his daughter who was a lecturer at the Lagos State University (LASU), also died.

 

metro

Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely

Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the governor of Lagos, said repair works on the Independence Bridge will continue.

Sanwo-Olu also apologised to residents for the hours-long gridlock experienced due to the rehabilitation of the bridge.

Commuters and motorists spent hours in traffic on April 2 due to the closure of the bridge in the Victoria Island area.

Following public outcry, David Umahi, minister of works, ordered the immediate reopening of the bridge.

Speaking on Thursday during the inspection of the bridge, Sanwo-Olu said the state takes full responsibility for the gridlock.

The governor noted that the repair is for the good of the city, as the bridge — which is one of the oldest in the country — had begun to fail.

He urged residents to support the state government as there is never a good time to carry out road repairs.

“First, I think what is appropriate is to tender apology to all our citizens and to all Lagosians for a very difficult heinous traffic that we experienced in the last 24 hours within the city and the Island of Lagos,” Sanwo-Olu said.

READ ALSO:

“There is never a best time to solve a difficult problem like this. Any time you do it, there would be discomfort. Let’s bite the bullet and come out of this better.

“I think the apology is important so that we can take full responsibility as government both at the national and subnational level, for taking our citizens through an unfortunate incident.

“It was all for a good cause, it is all to avert future disaster waiting to happen. You know how life is — there is never a best time for you to do all you want to do, there will always be challenges even if you think it is the best time.

“This contract has been signed over three years ago; our duty is to preserve the integrity of the Independence Bridge — which is like one of the oldest bridges in the country.”

The governor added that traffic will be managed and diverted during the rehabilitation.

“If you don’t have business to do in Victoria Island in the next two to three weeks, conduct your business via social media, telephone, zoom meetings, online meetings, let’s plan ahead,” he said.

“If you don’t need to come and visit somebody here, you don’t have to come.

“You are going to see a lot of LASTMA officers on the road, we are calling them from other parts of the city to come here.”

Sanwo-Olu also appealed to residents not to drive against traffic or drive recklessly during the rehabilitation period.

Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely

Continue Reading

metro

Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos

Published

on

Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos

The Lagos State Police Command has taken a Chinese national into custody for allegedly affixing a counterfeit diplomatic number plate to his vehicle while visiting the United States Embassy in Victoria Island.

The suspect, identified as 40-year-old Lei Lu, was arrested on April 3, 2025, following a tip-off from a concerned citizen.

Police sources say the report came in around 12:17 p.m., shortly after the man was spotted at the embassy premises earlier that morning.

READ ALSO:

Responding swiftly, detectives from the command arrived at the scene and detained the individual. His vehicle, displaying the fraudulent plate marked 138-CD-46—typically reserved for British diplomatic missions—was also seized.

During questioning, Lu reportedly failed to produce any documentation authorizing the use of the diplomatic tag. Officers documented the evidence, including photographic records of the plate and vehicle.

Authorities say an investigation is underway to uncover the reason behind the impersonation and assess any potential threats posed by the act.

 

Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos

Continue Reading

metro

Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt

Published

on

Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt

Senate President Godswill Akpabio has said he will take legal action against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan over claims that he planned to have her killed.

In a statement released on Friday by his media aide, Eseme Eyiboh, Akpabio said he would not be distracted by what he called a campaign of lies and misinformation.

“As a statesman devoted to national unity and democratic values, I will not be distracted by malicious falsehoods or inflammatory rhetoric,” the statement quoted.

Eyiboh said official letters are being prepared for both Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan and former Senator Elisha Abbo. The letters demand public apologies, retractions, and compensation for damage to Akpabio’s reputation.

Recall that Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan during an event in Kogi State on April 1, 2025 claimed that Akpabio hired former Governor Yahaya Bello to assassinate her.
READ ALSO:

Reacting, Eyiboh reminded the public that Senator Natasha had made similar accusations in the past, including ones she later withdrew without explanation.

“Her recurring pattern of false accusations, including similar claims in 2019 and 2023 against other public figures, reveals a troubling exploitation of victimhood narratives for personal and political gain,” it added.

The statement also addressed comments made by former Senator Elisha Abbo during an interview on April 2, where he accused Akpabio of influencing the court to remove him from office. Eyiboh said Abbo had already apologized in 2023 for making similar claims, admitting that they were based on false assumptions.

“His new claims regarding being denied entitlements are also categorically false. Senate entitlements are processed administratively and not at the discretion of the Senate President,” the statement said.

Eyiboh suggested the timing of these accusations may be politically motivated, with the aim of damaging the image of the Senate and its leadership.

“These individuals, possibly backed by hidden interests, appear united in a desperate attempt to undermine the Senate and its leadership,” he said.

 

Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt

Continue Reading

Trending