Ghanaian President Akufo-Addo wins second term by slim margin – Newstrends
Connect with us

Politics

Ghanaian President Akufo-Addo wins second term by slim margin

Published

on

The Ghanaian electoral commission on Wednesday declared incumbent President Nana Akufo-Addo the winner of the country’s presidential election.

Seventy-six-year-old Akufo-Addo of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) beat his opponent and predecessor John Dramani Mahama of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) with 51.59 per cent of the votes.

More than 13 million ballots were cast out of a total electorate of 17 million and across 38,000 polling stations throughout the country. Voters also chose 275 lawmakers for the national parliament.

Five people were reportedly killed during the election just as the process was mired by accusations of fraud before the official results were released.

But Chairperson of the Electoral Commission of Ghana Jean Adukwei Mensa commended the commission’s workers for operating the smooth conduct of the poll.

Although the results of one constituency remained disputed, Mensa said that even if all remaining votes went for Mahama, it would not change the overall outcome.

Specifically, Akufo-Addo scored 6,730,413 or 51.59 per cent of total votes while Mahama received 6,214,889 or 47.36 per cent of total votes.

Mensa said, “On the basis of the foregoing election results and by the powers vested in me as the chairperson of the Electoral Commission of Ghana and the interim officer of the election, it is my duty and honour to declare Nana Akufo-Addo as president-elect of the Republic of Ghana.”

But Mahama on Tuesday accused Akufo-Addo of showing “credentials that are very undemocratic” and harnessing the military to sway the outcome.

“You cannot use the military to try and overturn some of the results in constituencies that we have won. We will resist any attempts to subvert the sovereign will of the Ghanaian people,” the 62-year-old former president said.

Akufo-Addo and Mahama had on Friday signed a peace pact.

Politics

Power tussle as Kano APC nullifies Ganduje’s suspension by his ward 

Published

on

Power tussle as Kano APC nullifies Ganduje’s suspension by his ward 

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano State has nullified the suspension of Abdullahi Ganduje, national chairman of the party, by the ward leadership of the party.

The APC executives in the Dawakin Ward under the Tofa Local Government Area of Kano earlier on Monday suspended Ganduje over allegations of corruption levelled against him.

Halliru Gwanzo, legal adviser of the ward, said the suspension would subsist until Ganduje, a former Kano governor, is cleared of the allegations.

But some hours later, the state working committee of the party upturned the suspension order.

Abdullahi Abbas, chairman of the APC in Kano, claimed the ward executives who suspended Ganduje were working with the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP).

Abbas also announced the suspension of the ward executives for six months.

“We have evidence of meetings between the state government officials and those that suspended the national chairman, and the state working committee has agreed to sanction them for six months and they stand suspended,” the chairman told journalists.

Last week, a Kano High Court ruled that Ganduje should appear before it on April 17 on charges of bribery, diversion and misappropriation of public funds.

He will be arraigned alongside his wife and son.

In 2018, Daily Nigerian, an online newspaper, published a video of Ganduje allegedly receiving bundles of dollars from contractors, which he stuffed into his “babanriga”, a traditional outfit.

The newspaper said Ganduje demanded $5 million as bribe from the contractors who recorded the video.

Continue Reading

Politics

BREAKING: Kano ward exco suspends APC national chairman, Ganduje

Published

on

National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Abdullahi Ganduje

BREAKING: Kano ward exco suspends APC national chairman, Ganduje

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Abdullahi Ganduje, has been suspended by members of his ward, the Ganduje Ward in the Dawakin Tofa Local Government Area of Kano State.

The Executive Council of Ganduje Ward led by Haruna Gwanjo disclosed this during a press briefing in Kano on Monday.

Gwanjo said that the former governor has to clear his name of corruption allegations regarding his long-standing dollar case.

A viral video had captured Ganduje allegedly receiving bundles of dollar notes as a bribe from a man said to be a contractor and stuffing them in the pockets of his flowing gown.

READ ALSO:

The video, which garnered widespread attention in 2017, has been the subject of intense scrutiny.

Ganduje had denied the content of the video when it first surfaced and maintained his innocence but years after, the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP)’s administration of Governor Abba Yusuf revisited the case, vowing the prosecute the ex-governor.

The Kano High Court would arraign Ganduje on Wednesday, April 17, 2024 on charges bordering on allegations of bribery, diversion, and misappropriation of funds, including the purported acceptance of $413,000 and N1.38bn in bribes.

The Kano State Attorney General and Commissioner of Justice, Haruna Dederi, had said Ganduje would be arraigned alongside his wife and six others.

The Yusuf administration, which initiated the criminal suit against the eight respondents, had declared its readiness to present 15 witnesses to testify before Justice Usman Na’aba of State High Court.

BREAKING: Kano ward exco suspends APC national chairman, Ganduje

Continue Reading

Politics

Soldiers could have fired at Yoruba Nation agitators – Bode George

Published

on

Soldiers could have fired at Yoruba Nation agitators – Bode George

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, Bode George, has said the invasion of the Oyo State House of Assembly complex by the Yoruba Nation agitators is an act of treason.

Indeed, he said if soldiers were the first set of security operatives invited to quel thé situation, they could fire at them for taking up arms against the government.

George stated this on Monday during an interview on Arise Television.

He said what the agitators did amounted to taking up arms against the government.

He said, “You don’t just go and take up arms against your government, it’s treason. That they called Amotekun and the police is something; if it were people from my old profession, they would have seen them as enemies and fired at them.

“I was completely very angry because that is not the way you talk to your government. What could have driven them into that? My conclusion is that they might not be educated. You don’t take up arms against your nation.

“It’s unimaginable; you brought guns and charms. Were they dreaming? It’s unacceptable, it’s the highest breaking of the law of the land. You have your freedom of speech which is the most sensible way to approach this problem. The problem is that this thing never leaked to the intelligence of this nation.

“Agitators carried their weapons in military uniforms, and nobody stopped them on the road.

“You now see the urgent need for state police because they could not have been meeting somewhere if we are well organized like the state police.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content