Gunmen have continued their onslaught on police stations in Imo State with an early morning Thursday attack on Mbieri Divisional Police Headquarters situated in the Mbaitoli Local Government Area of the state.
The bandits abducted a cop, injured two others and freed many suspects in detention at the police station.
A report by The PUNCH quoted an indigene of Mbieri that the bandits struck around 1am and immediately released the suspects in custody at the police facility.
The gunmen were also said to have taken away the phones of the police personnel on duty at the division and those of the suspects.
But a police source at the division said, “We resisted them but they overpowered us. They had more sophisticated weapons. They took all the phones they saw; released the suspects and vandalised the police building.”
The source also said the attackers kidnapped one police officer and injured two other cops.
A community leader, Nokey Ebikam, however said the police divisional headquarters was not burnt.
According to him, the gunmen attacked the police facility and freed the suspects in detention after vandalising the building.
Another indigene of the area, Darlington Irobi, confirmed the attack on the police facility.
Police spokesperson in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, confirmed the attack on the police station when he was contacted by The PUNCH on Thursday morning.
He also confirmed that while one police officer was missing, two others were injured.
Ikeokwu also confirmed that some suspects detained in the police facility were freed by the attackers.
He however said the police authority in the state had commenced investigation into the attack.
The PUNCH reports that six divisional police headquarters had been attacked between February and April apart from the state police command headquarters and Owerri Correctional Centre attacked on Monday, with 1,884 inmates released and over 50 vehicles burnt.
The gunmen also attacked a military base at Ukwuorji on the Owner-Onitsha Expressway and razed four other operational vehicles belonging to the military.
Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo State has said some aggrieved politicians are behind the attacks on police stations, adding that their objective is to destablise the All Progressives Congress administration.
Gunmen attack Rivers SDP gov candidate Magnus Abe campaign train
Gunmen suspected to be hired assassins on Monday evening attacked the campaign train of the governorship candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Rivers State, Senator Magnus Abe.
The gunmen, according to Leadership, carried out the attack at Akinima community in the Ahoada-West local government area of the state.
Abe and his team had earlier visited Ubeta and other communities in the area before heading for Akinima, the headquarters of the local government area, when they came under heavy gun attack.
DSS intercepts syndicates selling new currency notes
The Department of State Services (DSS) said it has intercepted some syndicates in parts of the country for their involvement in selling the new redesigned Naira notes.
The service disclosed this in a statement on Monday by its spokesman,Dr Peter Afunanya saying that the syndicates were intercepted by operatives of the service during an operation.
“Investigation has also shown that some Commercial Bank officials were aiding the economic malfeasance.
- Abuja-Kaduna trains resumes to services Tuesday, says NRC
- Peshawar: 32 dead, 150 wounded in large explosion at Pakistan mosque
- Viral Video: My campaign bus was hijacked by APC thugs- Jandor
“Consequently, the Service warns the currency racketeers to desist from this ignoble act.
“Appropriate regulatory authorities are, in this same vein,urged to step up monitoring and supervisory activities to expeditiously address the emerging trends,”he said.
He said the DSS has ordered its commands and formations to further ensure that all persons and groups engaged in the illegal sale of the notes were identified.
The DSS spokesman, therefore, urged anyone with useful information relating to the sales of the new currency to pass the same to relevant authorities.
Accidents: FRSC boss recommends truck barrier on Ojuelegba Bridge, warns against ‘one-way’ driving
The Federal Road Safety Corps has recommended the construction of a truck barrier on Ojuelegba Bridge in the Surulere area of Lagos to prevent articulated vehicles especially trucks carrying containers from using the bridge and falling on other vehicles.
The FRSC Corps Marshal, Dauda Biu, made the recommendation while reacting to an accident around the bridge on Sunday in which a container-carrying truck fell on a passenger bus, killing nine people including two children.
A statement by the Corps Public Education Officer of the FRSC, Bisi Kazeem reported the corps marshal as expressing deep concerns over the fatal accident, which he noted was becoming a regular occurrence.
Biu also spoke on another accident recorded on Sunday that claimed 11 lives on Soka Bridge on the Lagos-Benin Highway and warned against excessive speeding and driving against the traffic popularly called one-way.
The statement said, “Whilst his concerns stem from the reoccurring container crashes on Ojuelegba bridge that has claimed several lives, the Corps Marshal recommends the construction of barricades against articulated vehicles (tankers, trucks, trailers and other heavy duty vehicles) on Ojuelegba Bridge as a permanent solution to the reoccurring crashes.”
The corps marshal who frowned on the incident explained the importance of barricading the bridge against articulated vehicles citing some of the dangers that come with their continuous use of the bridge as he called for efforts to be made towards expanding the connecting roads under the bridge to accommodate all articulated vehicles.
He revealed that FRSC rescue teams in collaboration with other Emergency Management Agencies had cleared obstructions from the crash scenes for ease of movement while the driver of the Mack truck had been arrested and handed over to the police for further investigation and possible prosecution.
The corps marshal also reiterated the need for the enactment of laws that will bring justice to victims of these crashes and where such laws already exist, efforts should be made to activate them so that justice will be served accordingly to both the drivers and the victims.
It stated that a preliminary investigation conducted into the fatal crashes revealed that the Ojuelegba crash involved a Mack Truck with a 40ft container with the registration number KJA 380 KD, who apart from engaging in excessive speed, also indulged in an act of wrongful overtaking and a Suzuki mini bus registered as KTU 921 YD; while the Soka avoidable menace involved a truck driven against the traffic and a Macopolo bus.
The statement said, “The container mounted on the Mack truck at Ojuelegba, according to our operatives, fell off the truck and landed on the Suzuki mini bus filled up with passengers which obviously led to the death of 9 of the passengers.
“As at the time of this statement, 11 victims were burnt beyond recognition at the Soka Bridge while the Ojuelegba crash involved 13 people comprising of nine males and four females. Out of the 13 people, nine were killed comprising five male adults, one male child, one female child and two female adults.
“Out of the four victims who survived the Ojuelegba crash, two were rescued without injuries while the remaining two sustained various degrees of injuries.
He urged the public to always use the FRSC toll free line 122 and the National Traffic Radio 107.1 FM which are always available for all road users to report emergencies at any given time.
Gunmen attack Rivers SDP gov candidate Magnus Abe campaign train
Huge crowd welcomes Atiku to Zamfara PDP presidential campaign rally
Famous 4×4 Grenadier coming to Nigeria, courtesy Coscharis Motors
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
Osun state gov, Ademola Adeleke, thrills guests as he dances to Buga amid removal saga (Video)
Cristiano Ronaldo’s partner Georgina Rodriguez buys him a Rolls Royce for Christmas (video)
Drama as angry bride refuses to marry groom during church wedding [Video]
News6 days ago
Buhari appoints ex-IGP Aranse PSC chairman, seeks Senate confirmation
International2 days ago
Russian/Ukraine war: Vladimir Putin sends 100 strippers to front line to boost morale of Russian soldiers
metro2 days ago
Updated: Eight confirmed dead as container falls on passenger bus in Lagos + photos
metro3 days ago
Updated: Kaduna-Abuja train derails close to Kubwa station
Opinion6 days ago
IGP tenure: Police affairs minister goofed, says rights group
metro5 days ago
Unknown Gunmen kill APC Chairman in Imo, Kidnap 5 Chieftains
metro3 days ago
Woman bites off another’s breast in bloody fuel queue fight in Delta
Auto3 days ago
Lanre Shittu assembles new pickup, plans vehicles to carry its nameplate