Herdsmen give FG condition to end open grazing - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Herdsmen give FG condition to end open grazing

Published

on

Fulani herdsmen under the umbrella of the Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore have given conditions to be met in order to end open grazing in Nigeria.

Herdsmen said they are willing to quit open grazing if the Nigerian government would make finance and logistics available for them to create alternatives.

Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore brand Ambassador, Temitope Ajayi, said this alongside officials of the association while on a courtesy visit to the Minister of Women Affairs, Pauline Tallen, in Abuja.

READ ALSO:

The herdsmen noted that they can’t suddenly quit the age-long practice because there is no alternative way yet to feed their cattle.

Ajayi added there was a need to re-orientate and change the mindset and perceptions of the Fulani herders so as to end outdated practices of open grazing.

“There is a need to re-orientate and change the mindset and perceptions of the Fulani herders, farmers and other entities in Nigeria, modernise cattle breeding and end outdated practices of open grazing and other nomadic activities, and bring them up to international best practice,” she said.

The herdsmen vowed to leave the farmlands as soon as ranches that are being proposed by some government officials, particularly southern state governors, are provided.

Daily Post

metro

DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai and National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu
Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai and National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu

DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu

Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, has formally reported former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, to the Department of State Services (DSS) over an allegation that the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) imported Thallium Sulphate, a toxic chemical, into Nigeria.

The allegation was referred to the DSS in a letter dated February 13, 2026, written on behalf of Ribadu by Brigadier-General O.M. Adesuyi. The letter acknowledged El-Rufai’s earlier correspondence seeking clarification on claims that ONSA procured about 10 kilograms of Thallium Sulphate, allegedly from a supplier in Poland.

According to the letter, the allegation has been formally handed over to the DSS for a comprehensive investigation, given the grave national security and public safety implications associated with toxic and tightly regulated chemical substances.

Adesuyi stated that El-Rufai and any of his associates with relevant information would be invited by the DSS to submit evidence, documents, or testimonies to support the claim.

READ ALSO:

“Your Excellency and other parties involved, who may possess relevant information relating to this claim, will be duly invited by the service to provide any evidence that may assist in an in-depth investigation, establishing the facts and ensuring due diligence,” the letter said.

The NSA, however, categorically denied the allegation, stressing that ONSA has neither procured nor initiated any process for the purchase of Thallium Sulphate and has no intention of doing so.

The controversy began after El-Rufai raised public alarm, accusing Ribadu of importing a dangerous toxic substance into the country. In a letter dated January 30, 2026, El-Rufai said he was writing “as a concerned citizen” to seek clarification over information allegedly available to opposition political leaders regarding the procurement.

He argued that thallium salts are highly poisonous and strictly controlled worldwide, adding that transparency was necessary to protect public trust, democratic accountability, and national safety.

El-Rufai had also claimed during a television interview that the NSA’s phone had been tapped and that Ribadu was listening to his conversations—an allegation that further escalated political tension around the issue.

Security analysts say the DSS probe will be crucial in determining whether the claim has any factual basis or amounts to a false security alarm capable of undermining public confidence and national stability. As of the time of filing this report, the DSS has not issued an official statement, while El-Rufai has yet to publicly respond to the referral of his allegation for investigation.

DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu

Continue Reading

metro

Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother

Published

on

Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother

Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother

In a development that has sparked widespread conversation across Nigeria’s religious and political space, Primate Elijah Ayodele has built and commissioned a new mosque in Lagos in honour of Chief Abibatu Mogaji, the late mother of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The prominent cleric, who leads the INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church, unveiled the mosque during his annual thanksgiving programme held in Oke-Afa, Isolo, describing the project as a fulfillment of what he called a divine instruction.

According to Ayodele, the decision to construct the mosque was not politically motivated but rooted in spiritual obedience. He stressed that the gesture was not aimed at gaining favour from the presidency or securing political influence, but rather to promote religious harmony and unity in Nigeria. “I built the mosque because God directed me to do so,” the cleric reportedly said at the commissioning ceremony.

READ ALSO:

Ayodele explained that the newly completed mosque would be fully handed over to Muslim leaders and the local Islamic community for administration. He stated that neither he nor his church would be involved in its management, reinforcing his claim that the project was purely an act of faith and interreligious goodwill. Originally, the mosque was said to have been planned under a different name, but Ayodele disclosed that he later renamed it in honour of Tinubu’s mother following what he described as further divine direction. Chief Abibatu Mogaji, a respected community leader during her lifetime, remains a significant figure in Lagos political history due to her influence and grassroots mobilisation efforts.

The commissioning event drew attendance from religious leaders, traditional rulers, and political representatives, reflecting the broader significance of the gesture. Observers described the commissioning as a rare example of Christian–Muslim interfaith collaboration, particularly in a country where religious identity often intersects with politics. Supporters say the act underscores the importance of peaceful coexistence and tolerance between faiths, while critics have questioned the timing and broader implications of the move within Nigeria’s political climate.

Nonetheless, Ayodele maintained that the mosque stands as a symbol of unity and obedience to divine guidance, rather than a calculated political gesture. The development has since generated conversations online, with many Nigerians debating its spiritual, social and political dimensions.

Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother

Continue Reading

metro

Bandits Abduct Wives, Daughters of JIBWIS Chief Imam, Others in Bauchi

Published

on

Some Nigerian policemen

Bandits Abduct Wives, Daughters of JIBWIS Chief Imam, Others in Bauchi

Suspected bandits have abducted the wives and daughters of the Chief Imam of Jama’atu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa Ikamatis Sunnah (JIBWIS) in Digare, Abubakar Muhammad Digare, during a late-night attack in Bauchi State, escalating concerns over rising insecurity in Northern Nigeria.

The attack reportedly occurred on Saturday night in Digare town, Alkaleri Local Government Area, where gunmen stormed the cleric’s residence and forcibly whisked away several women, including his wives and daughters, alongside other residents.

Eyewitnesses said the assailants invaded the community under the cover of darkness, firing sporadically to scare residents before targeting the imam’s home. Villagers fled into nearby bushes while others locked themselves indoors as the attackers operated unchallenged for several minutes. The abducted victims were taken to an undisclosed location, and as of the time of filing this report, the exact number of those kidnapped has not been officially confirmed.

READ ALSO:

Residents described the incident as one of the most brazen attacks in recent months, noting that targeting the family of a respected religious leader such as Abubakar Muhammad Digare has deepened fear within the community. Local sources said the attack has triggered panic across surrounding villages in Alkaleri LGA, with many residents calling for increased security presence to prevent further raids.

The Bauchi State Police Command has yet to release a detailed statement on the incident. However, community leaders are urging security agencies to intensify search-and-rescue efforts and strengthen patrol operations in vulnerable rural communities. Security analysts warn that repeated bandit attacks in Bauchi and neighbouring states highlight persistent gaps in intelligence gathering and rapid response coordination, stressing that kidnapping for ransom remains a major driver of armed violence in parts of northern Nigeria.

The latest abduction adds to a growing list of kidnapping incidents in Northern Nigeria, where armed groups frequently target rural settlements, religious leaders, women and children. Observers say the targeting of high-profile community figures could further destabilise affected areas if urgent measures are not implemented to restore confidence and deter future attacks. Authorities are expected to provide further updates as investigations continue.

Bandits Abduct Wives, Daughters of JIBWIS Chief Imam, Others in Bauchi

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending