HND holders to undergo one-year mandatory training – FG – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

HND holders to undergo one-year mandatory training – FG

Published

on

BSC/HND Dichotomy

HND holders to undergo one-year mandatory training – FG

The Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Dr. Folasade Yemi-Esan, has asked workers with Higher National Diploma (HND) to undergo one-year mandatory training before their conversion from executive to officers cadre.

According to a statement on Saturday, Yemi-Esan said this at a virtual interactive session with civil servants in commemoration of the 2024 Civil Service Week with the theme, “Educate an African Fit for the 21st Century: Building Resilient Education Systems for Increased Access to Inclusive, Life-long, Quality and Relevant Learning in Africa.”

The one-year mandatory training programme to bridge the gap between polytechnic awarded Higher National Diplomas and university degrees has been controversial between the National Universities Commission (NUC) and the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE).

A bill was passed at the Ninth National Assembly in 2021 to end the dichotomy but was not signed into law by the last administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

Thus, NBTE, which regulates technical and vocational education, had to introduce what it describes as a one-year top-up programme which offers a platform for HND holders to level up towards obtaining a bachelor’s degree.

While fielding a question from one of the civil servants during the virtual meeting, Yemi-Esan, said, “The curriculum for HND and B.Sc holders were not the same, hence, HND graduates would have to undergo mandatory one-year training before conversion from Executive to Officers’ cadre.”

Adebayo Hassan in Grade Level 14 had earlier asked about the dichotomy between B.Sc and HND holders in the Service and what the Federal Government was doing to bridge the gap.

READ ALSO:

Speaking on the 2024 Civil Service Week theme, Yemi-Esan emphasised the need for education to be accessible, inclusive and of high quality, while highlighting the need for it to constantly remain relevant to the rapidly evolving demands of the modern world.

According to her, “The theme also speaks to how the Nigerian Civil Service is leveraging learning and development to enhance the capacity and capability of its workforce with a view to delivering on national priorities.”

The Head of the Civil Service disclosed that the rapidly changing work environment as well as demands for greater efficiency have necessitated the adoption of a Performance Management System by the Nigerian Civil Service, adding that PMS Policy and Guidelines have been developed and circulated to all Ministries, extra-ministerial Departments and Agencies.

She pointed out that core teams for its implementation have been duly constituted.

According to her, “PMS implementation has been cascaded to the Ministries, with the Permanent Secretaries serving as the primary drivers.

“In this regard, performance contracts are to be further cascaded down to the last officer in each MDA.

“This new system will assess each officer’s performance solely based on their respective Key Performance Indicators and it will enable tracking of job objectives across all MDAs.

“By implication, each officer across the Service can clearly link his goals and objectives with those of his department, those of the respective Ministry and the national KPIs.

She described the digitalisation of work processes in the Service as another reference point in the ongoing transformation of the Federal Civil Service.

She further stressed that the Office has fully digitalised all personal and policy files and is implementing digital transaction workflow processes, as all official correspondences, in the form of memos and internal and external circulars, are now being processed electronically through the Enterprise Content Management solution.

HND holders to undergo one-year mandatory training – FG

News

JUST IN: Reps call for suspension of NMDPRA CEO pending investigation

Published

on

Chief Executive Officer of the NMDPRA, Mr. Farouk Ahmed

JUST IN: Reps call for suspension of NMDPRA CEO pending investigation

The House of Representatives has called for the suspension of the Chief Executive of the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Authority (NMDPRA) pending conclusive investigations into the allegations against the Authority.

This followed the adoption of a motion of urgent public importance by Hon. Esosa Iyawe on the House’s urgent need to address the outage resulting from what he called unguarded comments from him.

Hon. Iyawe had reminded the House that fuel quality can impact engine hardware, thus ultra-low sulfur diesel is recommended for all types of companies, power plants, storage tanks, industrial facilities, fleets and heavy equipment, and even ships, as high Sulphur content in fuels, causes damage to engines and contributes to air pollution.

He said considering the various risks associated with Sulphur, governments around the world have taken steps to regulate it by setting standards that require maximum reduction of emissions of this chemical compound, which diesel producers are expected to adhere to.

According to the Edo Lawmaker, Sulphur dioxide has dire environmental and health consequences, as it can damage the human respiratory system, compromise lung function and even cause cancer.

READ ALSO:

He said the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Authority (NMDPRA) permits local refiners to produce diesel with Sulphur content of up to 650 parts per million (ppm) until January 2025, as approved by the ECOWAS.

He alleged that recently, the Chief Executive of the NMDPRA stated that the diesel produced by the Dangote refinery is inferior to the ones imported into the country and that their fuel had a large content of Sulphur, which he put at between 650 to 1,200ppm.

He said: “In their defence, Dangote called for a test of their products, which was supervised by Members of the House of Representatives, wherein it was revealed that Dangote’s diesel had a Sulphur content of 87.6 ppm (parts per million), whereas the other two samples diesel imported showed Sulphur levels exceeding 1800 ppm and 2000 ppm respectively, thus disproving the allegations made by the NMDPRA boss.

“Allegations have been made that the NMDPRA was giving licences to some traders who regularly import high-Sulphur content diesel into Nigeria, and the use of such products poses grave health risks and huge financial losses for Nigerians.

“The unguarded statements by the Chief Executive of the NMDPRA, which has since been disproved, sparked an outrage from Nigerians who tagged his undermining of local refineries and insistence on the continued importation of fuel an act of economic sabotage, as the imported products have been shown to contain high levels of dangerous compounds.”

He expressed concern that the careless statement by the Chief Executive of the NMDPRA without conducting any prior investigation is not only unprofessional but also unpatriotic, especially in the face of the recent calls for protest against the Federal Government.

JUST IN: Reps call for suspension of NMDPRA CEO pending investigation

Continue Reading

News

Privacy: Google cancels plan to remove cookies from Chrome browser globally

Published

on

Privacy: Google cancels plan to remove cookies from Chrome browser globally

Google is planning to keep third-party cookies in its Chrome browser, it said on Monday, after years of pledging to phase out the tiny packets of code meant to track users on the internet.

The major reversal follows concerns from advertisers – the company’s biggest source of income – saying the loss of cookies in the world’s most popular browser will limit their ability to collect information for personalizing ads, making them dependent on Google’s user databases.

The UK’s Competition and Markets Authority had also scrutinized Google’s plan over concerns it would impede competition in digital advertising.

“Instead of deprecating third-party cookies, we would introduce a new experience in Chrome that lets people make an informed choice that applies across their web browsing, and they’d be able to adjust that choice at any time,” Anthony Chavez, vice president of the Google-backed Privacy Sandbox initiative, said in a blog post.

READ ALSO:

Since 2019, the Alphabet (GOOGL.O), opens new tab unit has been working on the Privacy Sandbox initiative aimed at enhancing online privacy while supporting digital businesses, with a key goal being the phase-out of third-party cookies.

Cookies are packets of information that allow websites and advertisers to identify individual web surfers and track their browsing habits, but they can also be used for unwanted surveillance.

In the European Union, the use of cookies is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which stipulates that publishers secure explicit consent from users to store their cookies. Major browsers also give the option to delete cookies on command.

Chavez said Google was working with regulators such as the UK’s CMA and Information Commissioner’s Office as well as publishers and privacy groups on the new approach, while continuing to invest in the Privacy Sandbox program.

Privacy: Google cancels plan to remove cookies from Chrome browser globally

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Reps amend finance bill, raises 2024 budget to N35.055tn

Published

on

JUST IN: Reps amend finance bill, raises 2024 budget to N35.055tn

The House of Representatives on Tuesday, July 23, amended the 2024 appropriation bill to increase the 2024 budget from N28. 777 trillion to N35.055 trillion.

This followed the consideration of the report of the House Committee on Appropriation which considered the request from the President for about N6.2 trillion as supplementary budget.

Chairman of the House Committee on Appropriation, who presented the report of the committee for consideration, said both the House and the Senate agreed on the increase.

READ ALSO:

The House considered the report of the Committee on Appropriations on a Bill for an Act to Amend the Appropriations Act, 2024.

The bill authorises the issuance of N35,055,536,770,218 (thirty-five trillion, fifty-five billion, five hundred and thirty-six million, seven hundred and seventy thousand, two hundred and eighteen Naira) from the Consolidated Revenue Fund of the Federation.

Out of this amount, N1.742 trillion is allocated for Statutory Transfers, N8.270 trillion for Debt Service, N11.268 trillion for Recurrent (Non-Debt) Expenditure, and N13.773 trillion for the Development Fund for Capital Expenditure for the year ending December 31, 2024.

JUST IN: Reps amend finance bill, raises 2024 budget to N35.055tn

Continue Reading

Trending