I killed my twin over ‘bad behaviour’ - woman tells police - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

I killed my twin over ‘bad behaviour’ – woman tells police

Published

on

I killed my twin over ‘bad behaviour’ – woman tells police

A mother has explained why she decided to snuff the life out her three children.

Lauren Anne Dickason, 42, was charged with murdering her daughters Liane, aged six, and twins Maya and Karla, aged two after allegedly suffocating them to death, according to Daily Mail

She told the police that she killed one of her twins first because she was “badly behaved”.

Dickason, who is on trial in the High Court in Christchurch, New Zealand, admitted to killing her children but denies it was murder.

Her defence claims she is not guilty by reason of insanity.

“I did the twins first… The first one was being really, really, really horrible to me lately,” the mum explained, referring to Karla.

“She has been biting me and hitting me and scratching me and throwing tantrums 24 hours a day – and I just don’t know how to manage that. That is why I did her first.”

The sisters were found dead at their home in Timaru on New Zealand’s South Island on September 16, 2021, by their father Graham Dickason.

The surgeon had moved with his wife and daughters from Pretoria, South Africa, to start a new life just days before.

READ ALSO:

On the night of the alleged triple murder, the 42-year-old smothered the girls 20 minutes after her husband left for a work function.

On Tuesday, the jury watched a video of Dickason’s interview with police the day after the girls died.

The recording showed the mother saying she had not “felt normal” for months before “something just snapped”, the New Zealand Herald reported.

During the interview, she talked about the “overwhelming” move from South Africa to New Zealand and said how she had lost hope.

“I don’t even know where to start… It just got too overwhelming – and with the new visa thing that came through yesterday I just see no hope for us here in the future,” Dickason told cops.

“Just getting on the aeroplane was enough of an effort, there was so much paperwork to be done and then there was the two weeks in MIQ which almost had us crazy.

“Something just snapped last night.”

She explained that the children were jumping on couches and not listening to her.

So she went to the garage, spotted some cable ties and thought, “That could possibly work”.

In the interview, Dickason admitted she “had been thinking about it for sure,” and put the three sisters in a room before using the cable ties on them.

That attempt was unsuccessful, however, so she suffocated them.

Detectives then heard that Dickason tucked each child into their beds, pulling the blankets over their heads fully aware that they were dead.

She said: “Then I decided I had to do something with myself… and I ran through the house and none of the knives were sharp and then I just started drinking my medication that I could find. I wanted to die.”

Dickason explained that in the lead-up to the alleged triple murder, she had been getting only two hours of sleep a night, was losing many kilos due to stress and had not felt normal for around nine or 10 weeks before.

READ ALSO:

She went on to say that moving to New Zealand had only exacerbated issues.

The mother added that it was her “first day off” in four months, telling officers that after killing the girls she just climbed into bed with a hot water bottle and processed everything that had happened.

In the interview, Dickason explained that she been diagnosed with major depressive disorder in 2015, had post-natal depression after the birth of each daughter and was being medicated for years before stopping in early 2021.

She also admitted to having thoughts of harming her kids in the past and had told her husband on three occasions that she was scared as she had considered hurting their children.

The mother sat with her head in her hands as the interview recording was played in court.

Earlier in the trial, the jury heard Dickason had carried out several searches regarding how to overdose children and what the lethal or fatal qualities of specific drugs were.

Last week, Crown Prosecutor Andrew McRae alleged Dickason was an angry and frustrated woman, who resented her daughters for standing in the way of her relationship with her husband.

Mr McRae alleged the mother was fully aware of her actions and labelled the killings as methodical, purposeful and perhaps clinical.

The defence, however, argued that Dickason was “very unwell” and didn’t recognise how unwell she was until it was “too late”.

The trial will resume on Wednesday and is expected to run for at least another two weeks.
Experts are also expected to speak on whether they believe the mother was insane

I killed my twin over ‘bad behaviour’ – woman tells police

metro

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Published

on

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu State — At least 18 passengers were killed after a massive ancestral tree, locally known as “Ukwu Akpu Awhum,” collapsed onto a commercial 18‑seater bus on Tuesday, during a heavy thunderstorm and rainfall. The bus was en route from Ukehe in Igbo‑Etiti LGA to Enugu metropolis when the tragedy occurred.

Eyewitnesses said the ancient tree fell without warning, crushing the bus and its occupants instantly. “The rain was very heavy, the wind was strong, and we heard a loud crash,” one resident recalled. All passengers were reportedly killed on impact.

READ ALSO:

Local resident Charly Okeke suggested that recent human activity, including tying red and white cloths around the tree trunk for spiritual purposes, may have weakened the tree, contributing to the collapse. The community has been thrown into mourning, as families grapple with the sudden loss.

Emergency responders and local volunteers rushed to the scene, pulling survivors from the wreckage and transporting the injured to nearby hospitals. Authorities are expected to investigate the cause of the collapse, though no official statement has been released by Enugu State authorities as of now.

The tragedy highlights the dangers posed by aged trees along busy roads, especially during periods of torrential rain and strong winds, and underscores the need for public safety measures and regular assessments of roadside trees to prevent similar disasters.

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Continue Reading

metro

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Published

on

Over 200 Killed as Deadly Landslide Hits Mining Community in Congo

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State — Tragedy struck early Wednesday morning as a carbon monoxide gas leak at an underground mining site claimed the lives of at least 37 miners and injured more than 20 others. The incident occurred around 6:30 a.m., shortly after workers returned from morning prayers.

According to eyewitness Safiyanu Haruna, survivors and local residents discovered miners unconscious inside the poorly ventilated tunnels. “It’s heartbreaking to wake up to the news that 37 miners, who had been struggling to make ends meet, have died,” he said.

READ ALSO:

The injured miners were immediately transported to a hospital in Wase town for treatment. Authorities and emergency response teams had not yet arrived at the site when the leak occurred, highlighting the dangers of underground mining in poorly regulated areas.

Funeral prayers for the deceased are currently being held in the community, with the Local Government Area chairman reported to have attended. Security forces have sealed off the mining site to prevent further casualties and aid ongoing investigations.

The tragedy underscores the critical need for improved mining safety regulations, particularly in remote areas where miners often work under hazardous conditions with limited safety protocols. Experts warn that carbon monoxide exposure in mines can be deadly within minutes if ventilation and gas detection measures are inadequate.

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Continue Reading

metro

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf
Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.

Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.

READ ALSO:

The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.

Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.

The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.

The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending