metro
ICPC arrests El-Rufai’s doctor over alleged false statements, court order breach
ICPC arrests El-Rufai’s doctor over alleged false statements, court order breach
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has arrested Professor Bello Abubakar, the personal physician to former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai, over allegations of making false statements and facilitating what the anti-graft agency described as a violation of a court-approved medical visit.
The Commission disclosed that Professor Abubakar was taken into custody on Tuesday following a visit to the National Hospital, Abuja, which it said was approved solely for El-Rufai to receive medical attention while in ICPC custody.
According to a statement issued by the Commission’s spokesperson, John Odey, the ICPC granted El-Rufai’s request for medical consultation in compliance with an order of the Kaduna State High Court and in line with its statutory obligation to protect the rights, dignity and welfare of persons in its custody.
The anti-graft agency explained that the Kaduna State High Court had fixed July 6, 7 and 8, 2026, for the accelerated hearing of criminal charges pending against the former governor.
However, on the first day of hearing, El-Rufai did not appear in court. According to the prosecution, when ICPC officers arrived to escort him to the courtroom, he declined to leave, insisting that he wanted to consult his personal physician.
The Commission further claimed that no prior request had been made for the medical consultation. It also alleged that when questioned by the Commission’s medical doctor, El-Rufai reportedly said he had no immediate medical complaints but stated that his wife, Asia El-Rufai, who is also one of his legal counsel, requested that he see Professor Abubakar.
Following arguments by both parties, the court adjourned further proceedings until July 15, 2026, to hear El-Rufai’s application seeking the trial judge’s recusal and to await the decision of the Kaduna State Chief Judge on a pending petition requesting that the case be transferred to another judge.
Despite the adjournment, the ICPC said it facilitated the former governor’s visit to the private wing of the National Hospital under strict security arrangements.
According to the Commission, its medical and security personnel remained outside the consultation room at the request of El-Rufai’s family while he was purportedly being examined by his attending physician.
READ ALSO:
- Nollywood actress appeals for support as recurring cancer spreads to bones
- Xenophobic attacks: Senate threatens review of diplomatic relations with South Africa
- NELFUND, EFCC intensify probe into 34 institutions over alleged unpaid student refunds
However, the anti-graft agency said the visit took an unexpected turn after photographs allegedly showing El-Rufai meeting with political associates surfaced on social media.
The ICPC said one of El-Rufai’s political associates, Isa Ashiru Kudan, posted photographs on Facebook at about 2:00 p.m., claiming they had just concluded a meeting with the former governor.
According to the Commission, the photographs showed El-Rufai alongside Professor Abubakar, Isa Ashiru Kudan and three other individuals inside the hospital at a time when the visit was expected to be strictly for medical consultation.
The Commission alleged that the meeting exceeded the scope of the court-approved hospital visit and constituted a violation of the court’s order.
“The images and post indicated that the arranged medical visit was utilised for activities outside the scope contemplated by the court and the ICPC. This is a clear violation of the court order,” the statement said.
The ICPC further stated that it had exercised patience, professionalism and courtesy in handling El-Rufai and other suspects in its custody but alleged that such courtesies had been abused.
It added that it would formally draw what it described as El-Rufai’s “flagrant disobedience of court orders” to the attention of the court.
The Commission also announced the arrest of Professor Abubakar, alleging that he made false statements during the course of the hospital visit. It said the physician remains in custody while investigations continue.
“The professional and humane nature of the ICPC should not be taken for granted,” the Commission said, adding that it would not tolerate the abuse of its goodwill by any individual or group.
The latest development marks another twist in the ongoing legal proceedings involving the former Kaduna governor. As of the time of filing this report, Nasir El-Rufai, Professor Bello Abubakar, and their legal representatives had not publicly responded to the allegations made by the ICPC.
It remains unclear whether the Commission will file additional charges arising from the alleged breach of the court-approved medical visit. The case is expected to return to the Kaduna State High Court on July 15, when the court will consider the pending applications and determine the next stage of the trial.
ICPC arrests El-Rufai’s doctor over alleged false statements, court order breach
![]()
metro
Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break
Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break
In a move that has sparked excitement across the country, the Federal Government has made an official declaration that will see workers nationwide enjoy a well-deserved break from their daily routines. The announcement, which came through the Ministry of Interior on Friday, has sent waves of anticipation through offices and businesses as citizens begin making plans for the upcoming holiday.
The Federal Government has officially declared a public holiday to commemorate this year’s Eid ul Mawlid, which marks the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him). The declaration gives workers across the country a break and provides Muslim faithful an opportunity to observe the occasion with prayers, religious activities, and family gatherings. The declaration was made by the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, on behalf of the Federal Government in a statement issued on Friday, August 21, by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Dr Magdalene Ajani. The announcement has been welcomed by Muslim communities across Nigeria, who are now preparing to mark the significant religious occasion with traditional observances and communal festivities.
READ ALSO:
- Ooni of Ife, Other South-West Monarchs, Sunday Igboho Unite for Historic Security Summit in Ekiti
- Tinubu FBI records: Agency seeks secret court filing over safety, investigative methods
- 2027: Senator Saliu Mustapha quits APC after losing Kwara governorship ticket
In his goodwill message, Tunji-Ojo extended warm felicitations to Muslims in Nigeria and across the diaspora, while also urging all Nigerians, regardless of their religious affiliations, to use the occasion as an opportunity for introspection and moral renewal. He emphasised that the life and teachings of the Prophet Muhammad offer timeless lessons that transcend religious boundaries and speak to the universal values of humanity. The minister stated that every Eid ul Mawlid gives citizens reason to pause and draw lessons from a life defined by compassion, humility and service to others, adding that these are qualities the nation needs now more than ever. He encouraged every Nigerian, not just Muslim brothers and sisters, to reflect on them, underscoring the importance of embracing these virtues as a foundation for national transformation.
The minister stressed that the celebration period should serve as a time for collective prayer for peace, unity, and national cohesion, emphasising that the task of maintaining peace across the country requires the collective efforts of all citizens, irrespective of their ethnic or religious backgrounds. He called on citizens to observe the celebration with restraint, mutual respect, and consideration for one another, while wishing the Muslim community a joyous and peaceful Eid. Tunji-Ojo further noted that the occasion presents an opportunity for Nigerians to strengthen the bonds of brotherhood and foster a spirit of tolerance and understanding, which are essential for the nation’s progress and development.
Reaffirming the Tinubu administration’s commitment to safeguarding lives and property, the minister assured Nigerians that the government remains dedicated to ensuring peace and stability across the nation at all times. He encouraged citizens to support initiatives designed to promote national unity and peaceful coexistence among Nigerians of diverse religious and cultural backgrounds, noting that sustainable development can only thrive in an environment of peace and security.
Eid ul Mawlid, also known as Mawlid al-Nabi, is observed by Muslims in many parts of the world to honour the birth of Prophet Muhammad. In Nigeria, the occasion is usually marked with special prayers, religious gatherings, lectures, and charitable activities. The declaration means workers across the country will enjoy a day off from work on the designated day, giving many Nigerians an opportunity to rest, spend quality time with family, and participate in Eid ul Mawlid activities. Businesses, schools, and government offices are expected to remain closed on the holiday.
Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break
![]()
metro
Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million
Abuja Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million
A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Dutse, Abuja, has ordered the remand of a 52-year-old dry cleaner, Abdul Mohammed, who pleaded guilty to stealing expensive jewellery belonging to Senator Ireti Kingibe, the lawmaker representing the Federal Capital Territory in the National Assembly. The stolen items, which included gold bangles, necklaces, luxury wristwatches, and earrings, were allegedly sold by the suspect to two buyers for a total sum of N45.7 million.
Magistrate Abdullahi Ilelah gave the remand order on Friday following Mohammed’s guilty plea and adjourned the matter until September 21 for sentencing, allowing the court time to deliberate on the appropriate penalty for the offence .
The case has drawn significant attention due to the high-profile nature of the victim and the brazen breach of trust by a service provider who had been granted access to the senator’s residence. The prosecution told the court that Senator Kingibe, who resides in the upscale Zangon Daura Estate in Kado, Abuja, first reported the incident at the Criminal Investigation Department of the Nigeria Police Force on June 27 .
READ ALSO:
- Ooni of Ife, Other South-West Monarchs, Sunday Igboho Unite for Historic Security Summit in Ekiti
- Tinubu FBI records: Agency seeks secret court filing over safety, investigative methods
- 2027: Senator Saliu Mustapha quits APC after losing Kwara governorship ticket
According to the prosecution counsel, Adama Musa, the dry cleaner gained unlawful entry into the complainant’s private room, where he forcefully broke open her jewellery box and carted away an assortment of high-value items . The offence, which contravenes Section 289 of the Penal Code Law, carries prescribed punishment for theft and related property offences .
During police investigation, Mohammed reportedly confessed to the crime and disclosed that he did not act alone in disposing of the stolen assets . The defendant admitted to selling all the stolen jewellery to two buyers, identified as Suleiman Isah and Isah Yusuf, both residents of the Federal Capital Territory, for a total sum of N45.7 million . This confession formed a crucial part of the evidence linking him to the crime.
The prosecution urged the court to proceed with sentencing without further delay, citing Section 112(8) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015, which empowers the court to act swiftly on guilty pleas in appropriate circumstances . The court is now expected to determine the legal consequences for the convicted dry cleaner when it reconvenes for sentencing on September 21 .
Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million
![]()
metro
Ooni of Ife, Other South-West Monarchs, Sunday Igboho Unite for Historic Security Summit in Ekiti
-
Insurance3 days agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
metro2 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
metro3 days agoUS Court Grants Four-Day Extension for Release of Tinubu Drug-Trafficking Records
-
Business2 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
Auto2 days agoNew Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
-
metro3 days agoPolice Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
-
Politics2 days ago2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
-
International3 days agoUS indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
