metro
I’m Now Left With Nobody – Husband Of Woman Killed With 4 Kids By IPOB
The husband of the pregnant woman killed along with her four children by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Jubril Ahmed, said he is still in trauma.
Jubril who works as a security guard in Anambra State told Daily Trust that his wife was nine months pregnant and the family was expecting a new baby within the week when they were killed.
He said, “They were coming back home after she visited her sister who was living in the nearby town. She and the four children were all wearing hijabs; that was why the gunmen targeted them.
“As I’m talking to you, I’m in the process of recovering their corpses. The police have given me some documents which I will use to collect the corpses. I’m in the mortuary now, they are demanding N30, 000 from me before they will release the corpses of my family.
“My hope is to take the corpses to Ganye Local Government Area in Adamawa State and bury them because the cemetery the Arewa community is using here is already filled.
Jibril gave the name of his late wife as Harira Jibril, 32, and those of the four children as Fatima, 9; Khadijah, 7; Hadiza, 5; and Zaituna, 2.
“I’m now left with nobody; they have wiped out my entire family. I am so worried and in trauma, there is a need for the government to do something,” Jibril said.
The leader of the Hausa Community in Orunba South, Sarki Kabiru Bakari, told Daily Trust that they later recovered the corpses of the victims Tuesday evening.
He, however, said the plans to take them to their hometown in Adamawa for burial had been cancelled because the corpses were not taken care of in the mortuary, and could not withstand the travel to the North.
“We have now decided to bury them in Awka Wednesday (today). The mortuary attendant did not treat the corpses, no preservation measure was done; hence we cannot travel with the corpses as they have already started decomposing. We have no other option than to take them to Awka and bury them there,” he said.
Bakari added that the security personnel had been deployed in the area and that the Anambra State police commissioner has visited them and assured them of swinging into action.
“But after we bury the victims, we will all relocate to our hometown in the North; we are no longer safe here. The husband of the woman will also relocate back to Adamawa as soon as he buried his family; he is working here as a security guard,” he said.
ACF, NEF condemns killings
The Northern Elders Forum (NEF) and the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) have condemned the killing of northerners in the South East by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
While the NEF urged the government to take decisive actions to end the killings, the ACF called on the government to pay attention to security.
The NEF Director of Publicity and Advocacy, Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, said northerners and even easterners must be protected from the activities of IPOB.
He called on the government to take decisive steps to end the killings and the targeting of northerners.
“The events in the south East particularly the events in recent days are tragic and very dangerous. There is a lot of anger in the land as there appears to be an attempt to provoke some local communities as well as some parts of Nigeria. Our position is that those with the responsibility to stop this must stop it now.
“We are appealing to everybody to remain calm and not to take the laws into their hands but we are demanding that northerners must be protected same way that we are demanding that easterners must be protected from the activities of these people who are killing.
“There is no excuse for failure to stop what IPOB is doing and we hope that in the next day or two, we will see decisive action on the part of governments, on the part of governors, and on the part of northern leaders and the elite to speak up and stop what is going on there, the targeting of northerners in the southeast must stop. The killings of even south easterners by IPOB must stop; we cannot have a country like this.”
The Secretary-General of Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), Murtala Aliyu, said it was important for the government to bring issues of insecurity to the forefront, secure the country, secure the south East from IPOB and secure the North from bandits and all other threats.
He said, “It is important that government pay attention to security more than any other thing today. ACF is worried like every Nigerian over the killings in Anambra State. Our main worry is the general situation in the south East. Our people, the northerners are also victims, but even the other Nigerians that are living there are not safe, especially even the Igbo themselves.
“The important thing is to look at the whole issue holistically beyond regional or sectarian issues but look at the security of the country. It is quite unfortunate that today, in Nigeria, Nigerians are not safe wherever they are.
“Our own take is that government must take this seriously, a lot of energy is spent on the electioneering, yes, the election is necessary, bringing a new government is necessary but we think that before this government leaves, they must do something about the insecurity otherwise, even election will be impossible in some locations.”
READ ALSO:
- No plane crashed in Lagos – FAAN, NEMA
- Buhari promises to sign forensics, fraud examiners’ institute bill
- 2023: Massive deployment of security agents as Lagos PDP holds gov’ship primary + photo
CAN condemns killing
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Kaduna State chapter, has condemned the murder of the pregnant woman and her children.
Describing it as barbaric, the association said it was unfortunate that people no longer value life in the country.
The CAN chairman in Kaduna State, Rev. Joseph John Hayap, in a statement titled, ‘The expansion of evil versus the silence of godly people in Nigeria,’ lamented how evil had taken over Nigeria on the ground of religion, region, ethnicity and other differences.
The association urged the federal government to go after the murderers and all others who have killed any Nigeria from any region or of any identity.
“Until our government and law enforcement agencies go after all criminals and murderers and justice is seen to have been done on all murderers, this evil will not stop and the murderers will not see their crime as evil but instead, they will smartly make us fight amongst ourselves and pay less attention to their crime.”
Arewa youths challenge Soludo to act
Also speaking on the issue, the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (AYCF) in a statement by its National President, Alhaji Yerima Shettima, yesterday said the killings of northerners in the South East presupposed an ethnic cleansing agenda.
It urged governors of the region to take urgent steps to “end the killing of innocent northerners or face the legal consequences of their inaction.”
Rising from its emergency meeting in Kaduna, the AYCF said the murder of northerners working or trading in the South East at the slightest opportunity was an unacceptable act of undue provocation.
The group said it had expected Governor Charles Soludo of Anambra to use his exposure in governance and management to tackle the killings, but seemed to have been a ‘disappointment’.
The statement said, “The fact that the governors of the South East are the chief security officers of their states but do nothing to stop the unprovoked killing of northerners presupposes an ethnic cleansing agenda and we condemn it, in whatever guise – IPOB attack or ESN.
“The killing of a mother and the baby she cuddled as well as the Christian Aircraft Engineer of northern extraction means the lives of our own people are no longer valued in the South East, where IPOB, ESN, and so-called unknown gunmen are doing as they please as non-state actors, unhindered.
“Silence of these governors, despite the brutal attacks on our sons and daughters in the South East must be stopped now and we want to sound our note of warning, that no Nigerian has the monopoly of violence and that northerners’ respect for the rule of law should never be taken as a weakness.”
Northerners not targeted for killings in Anambra, says Soludo
But reacting, Governor Soludo denied that the coordinated killings were targeted at northerners in the state, saying it is a general case of insecurity affecting everybody.
READ ALSO:
- Two burnt to death in Anambra fire explosion
- Killing: Don’t start fight that won’t end, IPOB replies northern groups
- Why I lost PDP primary in Kogi -Dino Melaye
He said that the Anambra people had suffered more casualties in the ongoing killings in the state than any other.
The governor, in a statement released by his Press Secretary, Christian Aburime, said the story that northerners were the target was capable of inciting violence in the country.
Soludo said, “While it is true that there is general insecurity across the country, there is no targeted religious or ethnic killing in Anambra State. As a matter of fact, the Anambra indigenes have suffered more casualties as a result of the unfortunate killings.
He added, “The report, therefore, is totally unacceptable and inimical to the unity and progress of the nation. The government of Anambra State hereby states that the report is not only sensational but misleading and should be immediately retracted to reflect the real situation on the ground.”
The governor stressed that Anambra indigenes, the northerners and other people from other parts of the country had lived and done business together peacefully because of shared common values.
He assured of continuous efforts to work for the good and progress of all and sundry in the state.
Police reassure Hausa community of protection
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Echeng E. Echeng, yesterday visited the Hausa community in the state and reassured them of their safety.
The CP in a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, DSP Ikenga Tochukwu, said the investigation had begun, adding that policemen had been deployed in strategic places in the state.
DAILY TRUST
metro
Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus
Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus
Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu State — At least 18 passengers were killed after a massive ancestral tree, locally known as “Ukwu Akpu Awhum,” collapsed onto a commercial 18‑seater bus on Tuesday, during a heavy thunderstorm and rainfall. The bus was en route from Ukehe in Igbo‑Etiti LGA to Enugu metropolis when the tragedy occurred.
Eyewitnesses said the ancient tree fell without warning, crushing the bus and its occupants instantly. “The rain was very heavy, the wind was strong, and we heard a loud crash,” one resident recalled. All passengers were reportedly killed on impact.
READ ALSO:
- Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
- BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
- Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
Local resident Charly Okeke suggested that recent human activity, including tying red and white cloths around the tree trunk for spiritual purposes, may have weakened the tree, contributing to the collapse. The community has been thrown into mourning, as families grapple with the sudden loss.
Emergency responders and local volunteers rushed to the scene, pulling survivors from the wreckage and transporting the injured to nearby hospitals. Authorities are expected to investigate the cause of the collapse, though no official statement has been released by Enugu State authorities as of now.
The tragedy highlights the dangers posed by aged trees along busy roads, especially during periods of torrential rain and strong winds, and underscores the need for public safety measures and regular assessments of roadside trees to prevent similar disasters.
Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus
metro
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State — Tragedy struck early Wednesday morning as a carbon monoxide gas leak at an underground mining site claimed the lives of at least 37 miners and injured more than 20 others. The incident occurred around 6:30 a.m., shortly after workers returned from morning prayers.
According to eyewitness Safiyanu Haruna, survivors and local residents discovered miners unconscious inside the poorly ventilated tunnels. “It’s heartbreaking to wake up to the news that 37 miners, who had been struggling to make ends meet, have died,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
- Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
- Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
The injured miners were immediately transported to a hospital in Wase town for treatment. Authorities and emergency response teams had not yet arrived at the site when the leak occurred, highlighting the dangers of underground mining in poorly regulated areas.
Funeral prayers for the deceased are currently being held in the community, with the Local Government Area chairman reported to have attended. Security forces have sealed off the mining site to prevent further casualties and aid ongoing investigations.
The tragedy underscores the critical need for improved mining safety regulations, particularly in remote areas where miners often work under hazardous conditions with limited safety protocols. Experts warn that carbon monoxide exposure in mines can be deadly within minutes if ventilation and gas detection measures are inadequate.
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
metro
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.
Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.
READ ALSO:
- Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
- Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan
- E‑Transmission Alone Cannot Guarantee Free, Fair Elections – Shehu Sani
The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.
Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.
The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.
The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro1 day agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
metro3 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News1 day agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
Entertainment3 days agoMystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
-
metro3 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
Auto3 days agoAppeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
-
metro1 day agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate


