Insecurity slows down Kano-Kaduna rail project to 22.6% - Contractor – Newstrends
Connect with us

Railway

Insecurity slows down Kano-Kaduna rail project to 22.6% – Contractor

Published

on

Insecurity slows down Kano-Kaduna rail project to 22.6% – Contractor

 

Insecurity is slowing down the construction work on the Kano-Kaduna standard gauge rail project, contractor handling the job has lamented.

Indeed, it said only 22.6 per cent of the work had so far been accomplished.

The China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) awarded the project in 2021 disclosed this during an inspection of the work by the Minister of Transportation, Senator Sa’idu Ahmed Alkali.

Alkali was on construction site in the Makarfi Local Government Area of Kaduna State on Saturday.

The rail project involves a 203-kilometre double-track standard gauge railway from Kano to Kano with an estimated sum of $1.2 billion.

Nigeria’s Senate has approved China Development Bank as new financier for the Kaduna-to-Kano rail project at a cost of $973 million, after another Chinese lender withdrew from the project in 2020.

The CCECC while lamenting security challenge in the area sought collaboration with the military, recalling that two months ago, two of their personnel were kidnapped along Tashar Yari in the Makarfi LGA of Kaduna State.

Minister Alkali asked the contractors to review the metal clips they are using to hold the rail track.

He said doing so would help prevent the rail from being stolen or destroyed by vandals and thieves.

He said, “We came to see by ourselves, you know seeing is believing. We are able to appraise the performance of the contractors of Kano-Kaduna rail project.

“You can see as we stand here, we started raining some little observations in the clips they are using. We asked them to use anti-theft clips so that they cannot be easily removed.

“Although this project has security challenge, Nigerians should expect us to deliver in the shortest possible time,” he explained.

Railway

We’re ready to move livestock from North to South – NRC MD

Published

on

We’re ready to move livestock from North to South – NRC MD

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) says it will soon resume transportation of livestock from north to south.

The service was suspended in 2017 due to technical glitches.

Fidet Okhiria, managing director of the NRC, disclosed the planned resumption of the service on Wednesday when he appeared on ‘Morning Brief,’ a Channels TV programme.

Okhiria said the transportation of livestock and goods would recommence via the Warri-Itakpe route.

On Tuesday, President Bola Tinubu hinted at the possibility of creating a ministry of livestock development.

READ ALSO:

Okhiria said the NRC would modernise the movement of goods in the country “so that when they come by road from the north, they can move them by rail to south-south Warri”.

The MD added that the NRC has “brought in some wagons that can mobilise livestock and they are being assembled in the Kajola area of Oyo in the south-west”.

He said railway investments should prioritise people’s wellbeing over profit for indirect economic benefits.

“We’ve built 15 wagons for livestock and maybe in the next month or two, they would be deployed from Itakpe to Warri to drive the economy,” he said.

“You are not developing transportation because you want to make a profit in terms of naira and kobo, but the profit will come indirectly if we can move goods and link cities.”

We’re ready to move livestock from North to South – NRC MD

Continue Reading

Railway

Warri-Itakpe train service resumes today, says FG

Published

on

Warri-Itakpe train service resumes today, says FG

The Federal Government has assured passengers of the Warri-Itakpe train service of their safety as operations resume on the route on Monday.

This assurance follows a train accident on Thursday at the Major Gen. David Ejor rail station.

On Sunday, the Minister of Transportation, Senator Ahmed Alkali, gave this assurance during an inspection at the Agbor-Abraka rail station.

Represented by the acting Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Mr. Pius Oteh, the minister noted that their primary observation was to ensure that the track has been repaired.

He said, “Our first observation is to see that normalcy has been restored. We are here in the directive of Minister who is concerned when the accident happened on Thursday night.

READ ALSO:

“The NRC is the operator of all our rail services and we are aware that they have already begin to take preliminary steps to ascertain what happened and ensure everybody was safe and conduct further investigation. “As supervisory ministry of NRC also find the need to have a first assessment of the situation.

“You know that Warri-Itakpe railway is a critical component of our National railway infrastructure. We are happy to be here and express Minister concerned.

“We are happy that the incident did not led to any casualty, it an operational issue and we are happy to see that NRC has used their internal resource to fix the track.

“By tomorrow Monday, the train will resume its operation. We thanked God that the accident did not claimed any life.”

While commending the Nigeria Railway Corperation for efficient and effective service over the years, the minister disclosed that to run two sessions daily is on course.

On the issue of kidnapping around railway, the Minister said that security agencies are working very well to address the trend.

He assured safety of the public and encouraging them to continue using the train, noting that efforts are ongoing to entend the railway line to Abuja.

Warri-Itakpe train service resumes today, says FG

Continue Reading

Railway

Nigerian Railway Corporation suspends Warri-Itakpe train after derailment

Published

on

Nigerian Railway Corporation suspends Warri-Itakpe train after derailment

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has announced the suspension of its train services from Warri in Delta State to Itakpe in Kogi State, starting from Friday, July 5th.

The suspension is due to an obstruction on the track, according to the NRC.

This is contained in a notice sent to customers titled “Public Announcement” on Friday, saying that the agency would likely resume operations on Monday, July 8, 2024.

READ ALSO:

It read, “This is to officially notify our esteemed passengers that Warri-Itakpe Train will not run today being Friday, 5th July 2024 due to the obstruction we have on our track.

“We shall resume our normal train services on Monday 8th July 2024. Passengers who already booked their tickets online will be refunded.”

“All inconveniences is highly regretted. Thank you,” the statement added.

The train reportedly derailed on Thursday, July 4 at about 7.15pm.

A passenger on the train said it wobbled along its track at several locations and derailed.

It was however learnt that the NRC team was working to fix the problem.

Nigerian Railway Corporation suspends Warri-Itakpe train after derailment

Continue Reading

Trending