Japan islanders sleepless after 900 earthquakes in two weeks - Newstrends
Connect with us

International

Japan islanders sleepless after 900 earthquakes in two weeks

Published

on

Japan islanders sleepless after 900 earthquakes in two weeks

More than 900 earthquakes have shaken a remote and sparsely populated island chain in southern Japan over two weeks, keeping residents anxious and awake all night.

Seismic activity has been “very active” in the seas around the Tokara islands since 21 June, authorities said after a magnitude 5.5 earthquake struck on Wednesday.

There have been no reports of damage and no tsunami warning has been raised but authorities have advised residents to prepare to evacuate if needed.

“It’s very scary to even fall asleep,” one resident told the regional broadcaster MBC. “It feels like it’s always shaking.”

The Tokara area has experienced clusters of earthquakes in the past but the frequency of the most recent tremors has been unusual, according to local media.

Japan is one of the most seismically active nations on Earth, owing to its location on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, where many tectonic plates meet. It experiences about 1,500 earthquakes each year.

About 700 people live on seven of the 12 Tokara islands. There are no hospitals on some of these far-flung islands – the nearest is at least six hours by ferry to the prefectural capital, Kagoshima.

READ ALSO:

“You can hear a strange roar from the ocean before the quakes hit, especially at night. It’s eerie,” Chizuko Arikawa from Akusekijima island told The Asahi Shimbun.

“Everyone’s exhausted. We just want it to stop,” said the 54-year-old, who lives by the sea and runs a cattle farm with her husband.

“After so many quakes, it now feels like the ground is shaking even when it’s not,” said Isamu Sakamoto, 60, head of the local residents’ association in Akusekijima.

“The quakes start with a jolt from below, then the house sways. It’s sickening,” he said.

In Toshima village, some residents have been sleep-deprived and tired, authorities said, as they urged the media to stop inundating locals with queries.

“We ask that you be considerate and not make excessive inquires or interviews,” according to a notice on the village website.

Some guesthouses on the Tokara islands have stopped accepting tourists because of the earthquakes, Toshima Village said on its website, noting that they might be used as shelters for locals.

This series of tremors come as the country as a whole has been kept on edge by rumours that a massive, deadly quake could soon hit.

A 1999 comic book by manga artist Ryo Tatsuki has been fuelling these rumours. In a new edition released in 2021, she claimed the next big earthquake would strike on 5 July this year.

These speculations have spooked some tourists, with several media reporting a flurry of trip cancellations.

The vast majority of earthquakes that hit Japan are mild, but there are some that cause great damage, like the one in 2011 that triggered a massive tsunami into the north-east coast, killing more than 18,000 people.

However, authorities have for decades feared the “big one” – a once-in-a-century megaquake that many had grown up being warned about. Worst-case scenarios predict it could leave more than 300,000 dead.

Earlier this week, the government called for new measures, such as constructing embankments and evacuation buildings, to strengthen public readiness in case of such a disaster – but it warned that much more needs to be done.

Japan islanders sleepless after 900 earthquakes in two weeks

BBC

Loading

International

Trump Declares Strait of Hormuz ‘New US Territory’ on Truth Social as Iran Vows to Keep Waterway Closed

Published

on

Trump Declares Strait of Hormuz 'New US Territory' on Truth Social as Iran Vows to Keep Waterway Closed

Trump Declares Strait of Hormuz ‘New US Territory’ on Truth Social as Iran Vows to Keep Waterway Closed

United States President Donald Trump has escalated tensions with Iran by posting an image on his social media platform, Truth Social, that labels the strategic Strait of Hormuz as “NEW U.S. TERRITORY.” The graphic, posted on Tuesday, shows a map of the narrow waterway between Iran and Oman, with the strait circled beneath a banner reading “NEW U.S. TERRITORY.” The provocative post comes just days after Trump first raised the idea of a US takeover, saying at a political rally in New York state that “pretty soon I’ll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States.” Trump has repeatedly floated the idea of American control over Hormuz since the conflict began, earlier proposing a 20 per cent fee on all cargo shipped through the strait under what he described as the United States’ role as “Guardian of the Hormuz Strait.” The UN shipping agency said it strongly opposed any such fees and that there was no legal mechanism to impose them. The claim has no basis in international law. The Strait of Hormuz lies within the territorial waters of Iran and Oman and is governed by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, which guarantees the right of transit passage through international straits to all nations. However, legal experts note that neither Iran nor the United States is a party to the convention, stripping those provisions of binding force in this context, creating a legal vacuum where the principle of “transit passage” cannot be invoked legally.

Iranian officials have reacted swiftly and forcefully to Trump’s latest provocation. Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister, dismissed Trump’s comment as a “delusion,” warning that Tehran would “correct the delusions of this deluded man.” “The Strait of Hormuz has been Iranian, is Iranian, and will remain Iranian,” Gharibabadi said on X. “This strait will only be closed and opened under Iran’s command.” In a separate post, Gharibabadi also drew attention to the fact that Trump had “correctly” written the name of the “eternal Persian Gulf” rather than using the term “Arabian Gulf” preferred by US-allied Arab states. “Soon, his mistake regarding the Strait of Hormuz will either be corrected, or we will correct the delusions of this man who lives in illusions,” he wrote.

READ ALSO:

Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Iran’s Parliament Speaker and chief negotiator, told parliament on Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States meets Tehran’s demands. “I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding are implemented,” Ghalibaf said. Tehran’s four conditions include lifting the US naval blockade of Iranian ports, lifting oil sanctions, freeing up frozen Iranian assets abroad, and ending military threats and operations on all fronts. These conditions were outlined in a June 17 memorandum of understanding signed by both parties, which set a 60-day timeframe for a final peace agreement. However, the process quickly stalled over disagreements about control of the Strait of Hormuz, and Trump declared the agreement “over” on July 7.

The US president has also threatened to bomb Oman if the Gulf state interferes with American efforts over the strait. In a phone interview with Fox News, Trump said that if “Oman gets in the way we’ll bomb the s— out of them.” The threat came as Iran and Oman have been negotiating an agreement on managing the strait, with Tehran saying the two sides had reached an understanding on the route that ships would use. Trump later addressed the remarks while speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, saying of Oman: “I don’t think they behaved very well, but we’d handle them very easily, just like we do other things.” Oman, through whose territorial waters the contested Strait of Hormuz also flows, has positioned itself as a neutral party in the US-Iran war and is currently negotiating with Iran over the reopening of the critical waterway.

The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most critical energy chokepoints, through which roughly 20 per cent of the global oil and gas supply normally passes. Before the war, approximately 110 ships passed through the waterway daily. Since the US-Israel-Iran war began on February 28, traffic through the strait has fallen dramatically. Only one ship crossed the Strait of Hormuz on August 16, down from eight ships on August 15 and marking a record low, according to S&P Global Commodities at Sea. The average number of ships transiting the strait over the last week was about 12 vessels per day, down from more than 130 a day before the United States and Israel attacked Iran in late February. The closure of Hormuz has driven up energy prices, creating a political headache for Trump as November’s midterm elections near. The national average price of gasoline in the United States have been at their highest recorded levels for the month of August, according to the AAA motor club, while Brent crude was at about $91 a barrel, up from $72 just before the start of the war.

Maritime law experts have questioned the legitimacy of Trump’s claim. Jason Chuah, Professor of Maritime Law at City, University of London, told CNN that a US claim to the territory could not be established simply through a presidential declaration. “Under US law, claiming territory by a Presidential declaration is not enough. There are important constitutional requirements that must be cleared first,” Chuah said. “Under international law, annexation is contrary to the United Nations Charter. Territories including bodies of water can only be taken through agreement or cession.” Simon Baughen, Professor of Shipping Law at Swansea University, said Washington’s claim over the strait was highly unlikely to ever come to fruition, describing such a scenario as “very unlikely.” Chuah stressed that neither Iran nor Oman has unrestricted rights over the entire Strait of Hormuz. “Freedom of navigation prevails. That is the law,” he said. “The Strait is neither Iranian property nor Omani property in the ordinary sense of a piece of real estate. It is sovereign territory very much subject to an international regime of maritime navigation.” “A navy can control a waterway. It cannot, merely by controlling it, rewrite the law of title.”

Trump Declares Strait of Hormuz ‘New US Territory’ on Truth Social as Iran Vows to Keep Waterway Closed

Loading

Continue Reading

International

Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman Over Strait of Hormuz as US-Iran Deadline Expires

Published

on

Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman Over Strait of Hormuz as US-Iran Deadline Expires

Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman Over Strait of Hormuz as US-Iran Deadline Expires

President Donald Trump has issued a stark warning to Oman, threatening military action if the US ally interferes with American efforts to secure control over the strategic Strait of Hormuz, as a crucial 60-day deadline for US-Iran negotiations expires without resolution. In a phone interview with Fox News chief foreign correspondent Trey Yingst on Monday, Trump declared: “If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s—- out of them” . The threat comes as tensions over the vital maritime waterway escalate and the June 17 Memorandum of Understanding between Washington and Tehran officially lapses .

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office later on Monday, the president was asked to elaborate on his earlier remarks and did not walk back the threat, instead saying: “I don’t think they behaved very well, but we’d handle them very easily, just like we do other things” . When questioned about his recent suggestion that he would declare the Strait of Hormuz a US territory, Trump responded: “We have total control over the strait” . This is not the first time Trump has targeted Oman with aggressive rhetoric, as CNN reports that the president previously threatened Oman at a meeting in May, saying “Oman will behave just like everybody else, or we’ll have to blow ’em up” . The White House has yet to issue an official comment on the latest threats against Oman, according to NBC News . Oman, a longstanding US ally that borders Yemen, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia, has been engaged in separate negotiations with Iran over the status of the strategic waterway, and last Saturday, Iran’s semi-official Mehr News Agency disclosed that Tehran had reached an agreement with Oman on a plan for traffic through the strait .

READ ALSO:

Monday marked the end of a 60-day Memorandum of Understanding signed on June 17, 2026, under which both countries agreed to cease hostilities and negotiate an end to the war while addressing Iran’s nuclear programme. However, talks have stalled over the issue of control of the Strait of Hormuz, and neither side appears willing to extend the agreement. The impasse has had immediate consequences for global shipping, with maritime traffic tracker MarineTraffic reporting that shipping through the Strait of Hormuz nearly ground to a halt over the weekend, with just 13 ships passing through, including only three on Sunday. Meanwhile, international benchmark Brent crude oil broke above $90 per barrel, rising 2.7% to its highest level of the day, reflecting market anxiety over the potential disruption to one of the world’s most critical oil transit chokepoints, through which approximately 20% of global petroleum passes .

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Esmaeil Baghaei, has dismissed the 60-day timeframe, stating that “gross” US violations rendered the deadline “entirely moot” and insisting that “there is no such thing as a 60-day deadline in the text of the memorandum of understanding, and the Islamic Republic of Iran never formulates its policies under pressure, ultimatums, or time constraints” . He further explained that the memorandum merely provided a “60-day window for talks on two axes—sanctions relief and the nuclear issue—which could be extended if no result was reached” . However, due to what he described as “the blatant and widespread violation of the June 18 memorandum of understanding by the United States just a few weeks after its signing, no talks were initiated,” rendering the timeframe irrelevant . Baghaei also emphasised that Iran’s armed forces are “closely monitoring all movements with full vigilance” and that the country is prepared to respond if attacked, while Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi confirmed that messages are being exchanged through mediators but clarified that “this does not mean negotiations at all” .

READ ALSO:

In a separate development, Trump has demanded that Tehran “put up the white flag of surrender” and stated that the United States is “in no hurry” to make a deal, despite a backchannel remaining open with Tehran . The president also floated the idea of declaring the Strait of Hormuz a US territory, telling reporters: “After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, I’ll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States” , later adding: “I like the idea of declaring it a territory” . However, analysts have largely dismissed the declaration as a pressure tactic rather than a serious policy proposal, with Adel al-Ghurairi, an Iraqi political analyst and professor at Baghdad University, telling Xinhua that the statement “could put political pressure on Tehran, strengthen Washington’s position in talks, and send a message to countries concerned about energy security” . Similarly, Ahmed Al-Mufti, a Sudanese international relations expert, described it as “a negotiating tactic aimed at raising US demands before moving toward more realistic arrangements” .

With the MoU expired and both sides hardening their positions, the Strait of Hormuz remains a critical flashpoint, with Qatar, Pakistan, and Oman continuing diplomatic efforts to mediate, though the end of the agreement could determine whether the conflict moves toward renewed negotiations or another dangerous escalation. Analysts note that while the United States has strong naval, air, and intelligence capabilities in the region, maintaining permanent control over the waterway would face significant challenges, as Mustafa Ibrahim, a Palestinian political analyst, observed that “if Washington truly wants to end the confrontation, it must shift from coercion and maximum pressure to negotiations that address Iran’s security and political interests” . The real question, he added, is not whether Washington can project military power, but whether that power can deliver a political settlement that ensures the stability of one of the world’s most critical maritime chokepoints.

 

Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman Over Strait of Hormuz as US-Iran Deadline Expires

Loading

Continue Reading

International

UK PM Burnham Duped By Impersonator Of Top Trump Aide

Published

on

UK PM Burnham Duped By Impersonator Of Top Trump Aide
British Prime Minister Andy Burnham

UK PM Burnham Duped By Impersonator Of Top Trump Aide

British Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with an individual impersonating White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles before becoming suspicious—a major security lapse that prompted the UK embassy in Washington to raise the matter directly with the Trump administration .

Burnham, who took office on July 20, reportedly believed he was communicating with Wiles, one of US President Donald Trump‘s closest advisers and the first woman to serve as White House chief of staff. A person briefed on the matter told Politico that a “few messages” were exchanged before Burnham became suspicious, but insisted they were “of no significance.” Sources said the communication was through text messages only, with no telephone conversation taking place, and the suspicious activity was “quickly reported to the appropriate authorities” once concerns emerged.

READ ALSO:

International relations expert Professor Anthony Glees of the University of Buckingham suggested the incident was most likely the work of a foreign intelligence service—pointing to Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps, Russian, or Chinese intelligence as possible culprits. He noted that Wiles was among those targeted by an Iranian cyber espionage unit in 2024. Professor Glees also questioned why Burnham’s security team apparently failed to inform him that Wiles’ phone had been previously hacked, and that any messages purporting to come from her should have been treated with extreme caution. “My guess is that they would be about Burnham’s views on international affairs, particularly perhaps Trump and Netanyahu’s war on Iran, and Putin’s war on Ukraine,” he said. The incident follows an FBI investigation into an attempted hack of Wiles’ personal phone in May 2025. At that time, Wiles told associates her phone had been compromised after an impersonator used her contacts file to message other top US officials. Recipients included US senators, governors, and top business executives. The impersonation was targeted at her personal phone, not her government phone. The FBI director said at the time: “The FBI takes all threats against the President, his staff, and our cybersecurity with the utmost seriousness.”

Burnham, who became prime minister on July 20, has been working to establish a positive relationship with Trump. The pair have held a formal phone call, during which Burnham set out his vision for the UK and discussed UK security matters, the Middle East situation, and the upcoming World Cup. However, in his first major interview as Prime Minister, Burnham stated he would be prepared to call out Trump where necessary to defend Britain’s national interest. A Downing Street spokesperson declined to comment on the security breach, stating: “We do not comment on national security matters.” The White House has also declined to comment publicly. The incident is not the first time a senior British politician has been targeted by an impersonator.

UK PM Burnham Duped By Impersonator Of Top Trump Aide

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending