The Kogi State Government has introduced a levy on every loaf of bread baked in the state.
The state Ministry of Commerce and Industry said the levy was aimed at improving the internally generated revenue.
But the state chapter of the Association of Master Bakers and Caterers of Nigeria (AMBCN) told TheCable on Thursday that the bakers were against the levy.
An executive member of the association simply identified as Godfirst said the association has begun moves to meet with the consultant the state charged with collecting the fee.
Godfirst said they received a memo from the ministry imposing a levy to be paid “on each loaf of bread” produced.
“The letter was sent to us that a consultant has been given the job to generate funds from bakery to the state government; to generate revenue (for the) state government,” he said.
“We are trying to meet with the consultant but we have not been able to meet with him. We want to meet with him to give us more explanation.”
He said bakers in the state were experiencing hardship occasioned by the pandemic and would not be able to meet the new demand.
“We are not happy about it; presently there is no market. We are facing different types of challenges, and if they are now asking us to pay another tax, we don’t know how we can cope,” he said.
Kingsley Fanwo, the state commissioner for information, was not available for comments when TheCable called his phone number.
Just in: Nigerian railway postpones resumption of Abuja-Kaduna train indefinitely
The Nigerian Railway Corporation has postponed indefinitely the resumption of its suspended Abuja-Kaduna train service, following public outcry against the initial decision to return to operation next Monday May 23.
The service was suspended after terrorists on March 28 attacked a passenger train on that route, near Kaduna, killing eight people and abducting over 60 passengers, most of who are still in captivity.
The NRC had earlier in the week said the Federal Government had approved that train service should resume next Monday while efforts are being intensified to secure the release of those still held captive.
But relatives of the abducted by train passengers kicked against this, vowing to obstruct any train operation on the route without the release of their loved ones. Some option leaders also called on the government to rescind its decision to resume the train service.
A statement by the NRC Deputy Director Public Relations, Mahmoud Yakubu, on Friday evening announced a shift in the resumption date of the Abuja-Kaduna train and apologised for this.
It also said, “A new date will be announced soonest. The NRC will continue to cooperate and collaborate with the Federal Government in its uncompromising mandate of protecting the territorial integrity and the internal security of Nigeria for safeguarding the lives and properties of its citizens especially as it concerns the rail subsector.”
The corporation identified with relatives of those in captivity after the last train attack, adding that actions were being taken to secure their safe release.
It stated, “The Federal Government is alive to its
responsibility for the safe rescue of all persons being held hostage. We therefore appeal, particularly to the relatives of persons held hostage to be patient and cooperate with the corporation and the security agencies.”
Lagos airport shut temporarily, flights diverted over mangled corpse on runway
The international wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, was temporarily shut in the early hours of Thursday after the mangled body of a dead man was found on Runway 18R of the nation’s flagship airport.
The identity of the corpse could not be ascertained as of press time. Also, it could not be established whether the dead man was knocked down by an aircraft taking off or landing on the runway.
However, airport officials told our correspondent that the runway was temporarily shut down while a team of officials from the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria and the Nigeria Police Force evacuated the corpse from the runway.
During the temporary shutdown of the runway, international flights were prevented from landing and taking off from the airport’s international terminal.
Among the flights that could not land due to the shutdown was an Ethiopian Airlines flight 3907, a Boeing 77F aircraft with registration number ETAVN, which was coming from Lome, Togo to Lagos, Nigeria.
- I’ve no apology for being ‘mad’ about Nigeria ― Obasanjo
- Most okada riders are criminals, says Lagos CP
- JTF kills gang leader, nabs 3 others, rescues 2 kidnap victims in A-Ibom
- N80bn ‘Fraud’: EFCC Gets Order To Detain Accountant-General For More Days
The flight was later diverted back to Lome after holding for a while.
Airport officials said the corpse was suddenly found on Runway 18R during a routine runway inspection by FAAN personnel.
The spokesperson for FAAN, Mrs. Faithful Avokerie Hope-Ivbaz, could not immediately confirm the incident, saying she had yet to be briefed on the development.
Also, the Police Public Relations Officer, Airport Command, Mr Olayinka Ojelade, said he had yet to get the requited signal on the incident.
He promised to get back. As of the time of filing this report, he had yet to do so. However, a top police official at the MMIA confirmed the development.
He said the command was called upon in the early hours of Thursday to evacuate the corpse from Runway 18R.
According to him, the police are still investigating the identity of the dead man and how he got to the security area of the international airport.
However, an aviation security expert and former Military Commandant of the MMIA, Group Captain John Ojikutu,retd, said there was a need to investigate how the unidentified man found his way into the sensitive area of the airport, describing the incident as a major security breach.
According to him, the perimeter fence of the MMIA is not a security fence, adding that this has exposed the airport to various security breaches.
Ojikutu said, “The authorities need to investigate how the man got to the airport. Nobody can say much now; but he may have been knocked down by the wingspan or undercarriage of a jumbo jet but it is too early to say anything like that now. But we need to examine the issue of houses that have been built too close to the Lagos airport. The rule says no building should be situated less than six metres to the airport structure or fence. However, we have seen cases of people crossing the runway before.
“The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority and FAAN need to investigate this to ascertain what really happened. They need to find out the flights that landed before that incident. The current airport perimeter fence is not a security fence and we need to do something about it.”
Meanwhile, there have been a couple of airport security breaches in recent times.
A mishap was averted at the airside of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos some months ago when a speeding vehicle had a near collision with a Dana Air plane taxiing to take off on Runway 18L of the airport.
The unfortunate incident, which happened on December 21, 2021, occurred barely one week after a landing Max Air jet almost rammed into a malfunctioning car being tested on Runway 18L.
Also, there was pandemonium at the airside of the Lagos airport on December 27, 2019 when an unidentified man found his way into the airside mysteriously and mounted a moving Air Peace plane.
The man was later arrested by security operatives who were notified by the pilot of a private jet coming behind the Air Peace plane.
The incident happened barely six months after a man found his way into the Lagos airport and climbed a Port Harcourt-bound Azman Airlines plane.
The man, believed to be mentally ill, was later identified as Usman Adamu from the Republic of Niger.
The Police said the Nigerien could not speak or understand English Language.
The authorities said then that investigation was still ongoing to ascertain how Adamu gained access to the restricted area at the airport.
AutoTrends: Customs to reintroduce suspended e-valuation of vehicles Friday
The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) says it will reintroduce the suspended electronic valuation of vehicles on Friday.
The NCS said this in a letter dated May 17, 2022, and signed by Ajibola Odusany, NCS’ deputy controller, administration, on behalf of Yusuf Malanta, area controller in charge of the Apapa Command of the service.
Also known as vehicle inspection number (VIN), the policy has generated controversy since its introduction this year.
Clearing agents associations had protested against the e-valuation policy and grounded activities at the ports.
The freight forwarders said the e-valuation system sharply increased duty paid on imported vehicles.
This had forced the NCS to suspend the implementation of the VIN policy, following the intervention of the House of Representatives.
In bringing back the policy, the NCS said there would be a sensitisation programme for stakeholders in the clearance chain in preparation for the redeployment.
“In line with the planned nationwide deployment of the VIN Valuation on Friday, 20 May 2022, and the need to continually enhance the platform for optimal performance and service delivery, the sensitisation which is scheduled to take place on Thursday, May 19, 2022, at 11:00 am is to hold at the Apapa Command conference hall. The Deputy Controller Administration, A Y. Odusanya, on behalf of the Customs Area Controller requested that clearing agents should send their representatives to attend, saying the session would benefit everyone and further clarify any question,” the letter stated.
Acting President of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents (ANLCA), Kayode Farinto, confirmed the development,
saying the association would speak after the training.
“We’re going for the training. So, we can’t say anything until we’re through with the training,” he said.
Buhari appoints Semiu Adeniran new stastician general
Danish man gets death sentence for killing Nigerian wife, daughter
Just in: Nigerian railway postpones resumption of Abuja-Kaduna train indefinitely
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
[UPDATED]Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna + Video
Lagos mother fights off suspected ritualist attempting to abduct kids + VIDEO
General Overseer nabbed for drug trafficking in viral video performing miracles + Video
metro7 days ago
I killed three persons to get promotion, says cult member
metro6 days ago
How ex-FCMB staff allegedly stole N30m from Bank in one year of employment
metro7 days ago
Police intercept AK-47 rifles hidden in bags of beans heading for East, nab 23 suspects + photos
Politics7 days ago
With me as President, Nigeria will conquer banditry – Tinubu
metro7 days ago
Blasphemy: Buhari, CAN, NASFAT Condemn Killing Of Student
Education7 days ago
Agreement reached with ASUU, others, strike ends soon –FG
Politics5 days ago
Oshiomhole undergoes APC senatorial screening — 10 days after declaring presidential bid
metro5 days ago
Police arrest four persons over alleged jungle justice in Lagos