metro
Lagos promises justice in murder of engineer by commercial motorcyclists
Lagos State Government has condemned the May 12 mob attack by commercial motorcycle riders on a sound engineer, Mr David Imoh, who was killed in Lekki, promising that justice will be done.
The state’s taskforce on environmental offences arrested 10 commercial motorcyclists and impounded 123 motorcycles operating in the Lekki area on Monday as a consequence of the murder.
The police had earlier arrested four persons over their alleged participation in the murder of Imoh, 38, and promised to continue the manhunt.
Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, stated on Monday that he had spoken with Imoh’s family members and that two survivors of the condemnable act were in still hospital.
He extended the condolences of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and said the state government would address the root cause of the mob attack and similar incidents, which had caused public anxiety.
He said, “Government implores residents to remain calm as police continue to investigate the matter.
“Lagos has no room for savagery and anybody found to have been involved in the barbarism will surely face the law.
“We condemn and will not condone any kind of jungle justice no matter who the perpetrators are.”
metro
Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest
Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest
At least four northern traders were killed and several businesses looted during violent protests targeting northerners at the Oil Mill Market in Rumuokwurusi, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, over the weekend. The unrest has heightened concerns about ethnic tensions and public safety in the commercial hub.
Mr. Musa Saidu, Chairman of the Hausa Community in Rivers State, disclosed the fatalities while leading northern leaders to the market to assess the damage. He reported that multiple shops owned by northern traders were vandalised and looted, resulting in losses worth millions of naira. Saidu urged northerners living and doing business in the state to remain calm, emphasising that they are law-abiding citizens engaged in legitimate trade.
The protests were triggered by a fatal dispute on February 10, when Nchelem Samuel Festus, an indigene of Igwuruta in Ikwerre Local Government Area, was allegedly stabbed to death by a northern commercial motorcyclist over a stolen motorcycle. Festus later died from his injuries, sparking demonstrations and anger among residents. Protesters accused northern riders of involvement in other crimes, including rape and kidnapping, and demanded a ban on commercial motorcycle operations by northerners.
READ ALSO:
- Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria
- Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
- Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
Tensions escalated further when a wheelbarrow pusher, Zakara Afaaruwu, allegedly stabbed a trader from Benue State, Higightor Wenem, to death during a dispute over space at the market. The incident prompted renewed attacks on northern traders and widespread destruction of property. Afaaruwu has been arrested and is in police custody for investigation.
Security authorities have stepped up patrols in affected areas, with local councils imposing temporary restrictions on commercial motorcycle operations to prevent further clashes. Despite the reports from community leaders, the Rivers State Police have not officially confirmed the deaths, with CSP Grace Iringe-Koko, the Police Public Relations Officer, stating she was unaware of any fatalities.
Community leaders continue to appeal for peace and restraint, warning that targeting people based on regional or ethnic identity could escalate the violence. The incident underscores the urgent need for dialogue, lawful conflict resolution, and stronger measures to address socio-economic and regional tensions in the state.
Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest
metro
Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
The Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) has reportedly acquired about 35 commercial drones, marking a dangerous escalation in insurgent tactics and raising fresh security concerns for Nigeria’s military operations in the north-east and north-west regions.
Security assessments indicate that the drones are largely First-Person View (FPV) quadcopters, a low-cost but highly effective technology increasingly used by non-state armed groups globally. Unlike conventional surveillance drones, FPV systems allow operators to guide drones in real time using video goggles, enabling precise navigation and target selection on the battlefield.
The reported acquisition comes months after air and drone strikes ordered by Donald Trump targeted insurgent positions in Sokoto State on Christmas Day 2025. Although those strikes were intended as a deterrent to militant groups operating along the Nigeria–Niger border, security analysts say insurgents have instead adapted by investing in mobile, hard-to-detect aerial platforms.
READ ALSO:
- Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
- Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
- Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet
While insurgent groups in Nigeria have previously relied on drones mainly for intelligence gathering and surveillance, recent developments suggest ISWAP is preparing for offensive drone operations. Security experts warn that FPV drones can be modified to carry small explosive payloads and directed to detonate on impact, allowing militants to strike military assets, personnel, and defensive positions with greater accuracy.
Analysts say the use of such drones could enable repeated and sustained attacks on military formations rather than isolated raids. The availability of multiple drones also raises the risk of coordinated or swarm-style attacks, which could overwhelm troops and complicate traditional defensive measures.
Both ISWAP and Boko Haram have increasingly deployed drones alongside ground fighters during assaults on Forward Operating Bases and remote outposts, some of which have resulted in significant losses for government forces. Observers note that this tactical shift mirrors trends seen in the Ukraine war, where low-cost FPV drones have transformed modern combat by neutralising conventional military advantages.
Security commentators argue that Nigeria must urgently strengthen its counter-drone capabilities to maintain battlefield superiority. Recommended measures include greater investment in electronic warfare and signal-jamming systems, enhanced intelligence gathering, improved air-defence coverage for military bases, and expanded deployment of locally developed drone technologies.
Experts also stress the importance of tighter border controls and regional cooperation to disrupt the flow of drone components and technical expertise. They warn that failure to adapt quickly to the emerging drone-enabled insurgency could prolong insecurity across Nigeria’s conflict-affected regions and further strain military resources.
Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
metro
Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
– Brake Failure Suspected as Governor Orders Immediate Probe
Tragedy struck on Tuesday morning as seven persons lost their lives and two others sustained injuries in a multiple-vehicle crash at the busy Ota Toll Gate along the Lagos–Abeokuta Expressway.
The fatal collision, which occurred during peak traffic hours, reportedly involved a fully loaded trailer suspected to have suffered brake failure before ramming into smaller vehicles, including a commercial tricycle and a mini-bus. Eyewitness accounts described scenes of panic as the out-of-control truck ploughed into vehicles waiting near the toll gate.
Emergency responders from the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), and the Nigeria Police swiftly arrived at the scene to rescue victims and clear the wreckage.
The injured victims were rushed to nearby hospitals for medical attention, while the remains of the deceased were deposited at a state mortuary.
“The truck was speeding and suddenly lost control. People were shouting and running for safety,” an eyewitness told reporters at the scene.
READ ALSO:
- Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
- Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
- Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet
In a statement issued hours after the incident, Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives and ordered a comprehensive investigation into the cause of the crash. He condemned reckless driving and poor vehicle maintenance, particularly among heavy-duty truck operators.
“This avoidable tragedy underscores the urgent need for strict adherence to traffic regulations and proper vehicle maintenance,” the governor stated.
Motorists experienced heavy gridlock along the expressway as officials worked for several hours to restore normal traffic flow. Authorities have reiterated calls for drivers to exercise caution and ensure their vehicles are roadworthy before embarking on journeys.
The Lagos–Abeokuta corridor, especially around Sango–Ota, has witnessed repeated fatal accidents over the years, raising concerns among residents and commuters about road safety enforcement and infrastructure conditions.
Investigations into the exact cause of Tuesday’s crash are ongoing.
Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
Education3 days agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News3 days agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
News16 hours agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News3 days agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoArgungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu
-
News12 hours agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road


