Connect with us

metro

Late Edo youth wandered into military checkpoint naked, mother picked him up alive – Army

Published

on

Director, Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu

The Nigerian Army has denied torturing one Christian Ehima to death in Edo as claimed by the deceased’s mother.

The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig. Gen Onyema Nwachukwu, in a statement on Sunday and made available to journalists in Benin, described as misleading the report on social media alleging that troops tortured one Ehima to death in Igbake, Edo State.

The statement read, “While we sympathise with the family of late Christian over this unfortunate incident, it is instructive to put the records in proper perspective, contrary to the misgivings peddled on the social media.

“Incontrovertible evidence indicates that Christian Ehima wandered into a military check point at Wire -Ake in Edo State on the December 10, 2021, without his clothes on, and was halted by soldiers on duty.”

READ ALSO:

Nwachukwu said upon interrogation, the deceased could not say anything meaningful on where he was coming from or heading, adding that his behaviour was rather weird and indicative of one who was under some sort of influence.

He added, “The Guard Commander, who observed his abnormal behaviour, immediately requested for his phone in an effort to contact any of his relations, friends or associates.

“Shortly afterwards, a call came through to his phone and the caller identified herself as his mother and a police officer and was invited to pick up her son, who was still very agitated and unstable.

“When she was briefed about her son’s observed abnormal behaviour, she attributed it to influence of alcohol but the soldiers maintained that whatever was responsible for Christian’s behaviour at that time was way beyond alcohol.”

Nwachukwu explained that on sighting his mother, his behaviour aggravated while some passers-by were thereafter mobilised to help her take him to the hospital.

“The incident was recorded both on video and audio, showing the behaviour of Christian Ehima and his mother commending the soldiers for their kind intervention.

“The evidence, including audio recordings of the police officer and her son, are there for all to peruse,” he said.

He expressed surprise that the incident has been falsely reported in the social media without recourse to the reality of what transpired during the incident

He called on the public to disregard what he described as misguided information and an attempt to bring the Army to disrepute.

Recall that there had been report on social media in which Christian’s mother, Ehima Mercy, alleged that her son died as a result of torture in the hands of soldiers.

Punch

 

metro

Nigerian Bludgeons Chinese Man to Death in Italy

Published

on

Robert Omo, a Nigerian residing in Avellino, southern Italy, has been arrested for the murder of a Chinese man in the country.

According to the Times of Malta, Omo, 24, allegedly bludgeoned the Chinese man to death using a hammer. He was also reported to have injured a Bulgarian during the attack.

The Nigerian was said to have attacked the two men unprovoked on July 30, first striking the 49-year-old Bulgarian from behind and then attacking the 59-year-old Chinese man who had stepped in to prevent him from further assaulting his first victim.

READ ALSO:

The Bulgarian is receiving treatment in a hospital after sustaining serious injuries from the attack, while the Chinese man died on the spot.

It was also reported that Omo once served a 12-month jail term for bestiality in Malta.

After serving the jail sentence, he was deported from Malta, but the Nigerian found his way to Italy.

Reports revealed that Omo was once expelled from a care home in Avellino after he assaulted one of its workers.

After charges were brought against him over the recent attack, he pleaded not guilty, claiming he could not recall what happened during the incident.

FIJ

Continue Reading

metro

Female footballers, officials abducted, kidnappers demand N30m

Published

on

Police Public Relations Officer in Delta State, DSP Bright Edafe

Six people, which include players and officials of a grassroots female team, were reportedly kidnapped by gunmen in Uronigbe, a border community between Edo and Delta states in Orhionmwon Local Government Area of Edo State.

Our correspondent learnt that the six victims were kidnapped around 6pm on Friday, while returning from a game at Owa-Alero in Ika North-East Local Government Area of Delta State.

A source in the community said the kidnapers had contacted some families demanding a ransom of N5m each for the victims.

Police Public Relations Officer in Edo State, Chidi Nwabuzor

He said, “They (footballers) went to Owa-Alero to play a football match, but on their way back, they were kidnapped at Uronigbe area, the boundary between Delta and Edo.

READ ALSO:

“The victims include Mrs Precious Agbajor, one Abraham, Nancy, Beatrice, the driver and one other person. They are six in number that are in the kidnapper’s den. The matter has been reported at the Uronigbe police station.

“The kidnappers have contacted the family of Agbajor and asked them to pay N5m for his wife.”

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer in Delta State, DSP Bright Edafe, confirmed the kidnap, adding that the incident happened in Edo State.

His Edo State counterpart, Chidi Nwabuzor, said from the records available at the State Command, there was no information on the incident.

“You know we transmit our records to Force Headquarters everyday. There is no such record before us. From the Command’s record, no such incident happened yesterday (Friday), so the police will not give account of anything unreported.

“It is only when an incident is reported that the police can act on it. In most cases, citizens are not aware of the powers to report incidents. So the record I have from the Command is that no such incident happened yesterday (Friday), today (Saturday) and even the day before yesterday (Thursday).”

Punch

Continue Reading

metro

Unknown gunmen now known; they’re Igbo who kill for human organs – Soludo

Published

on

Anambra State Governor, Prof. Charles Chukwuma Soludo

Majority of them are Igbo who kill, harvest human organs for rituals, their objective being lucrative criminality —Soludo

Continue Reading

Trending