Man Utd in spectacular comeback beat Man City 2-1
Manchester United on Saturday in a comeback stunned Manchester City 2-1 at the Old Trafford as the team gradually moves up the English Premiership League table.
After a goalless first half, City took the lead on 60th minute to make it 0-1 for the visitors.
Jack Grealish jumped highest to connect with a perfect cross from Kevin De Bruyne and planted his close-range header into the middle of the goal. David de Gea was helpless.
City appeared to be heading for a victory when United struck on 78th minute to draw level through Bruno Fernandes.
Fernandes got a shot away from the edge of the box and scored into the middle of the net. Casemiro provided an assist for the goal.
Four minutes later, Marcus Rashford made it 2-1 for the homers.
He found himself some space inside the box to get on the end of a pass from Alejandro Garnacho, then sent the ball low into the middle of the net.
The stadium roared back to life as United brightened their chances of claiming the league and moved third on the table.
Morocco stun Brazil in int’l friendly
Morocco stunned Brazil 2-1 in a friendly international on Saturday as the north African side recorded a first ever win over the five-time world champions.
Midfielder Sofiane Boufal, a former Southampton star, but now playing with Al Rayyan in Qatar, gave Morocco the lead after 29 minutes, scoring with a powerful turn and drive from a pass by Bilal El Khannous.
Brazil skipper Casemiro levelled in the 67th minute when his weak shot was fumbled by goalkeeper Yassine Bounou.
But on-loan Sampdoria midfielder Abdelhamid Sabiri struck the winner with a volley in the 79th minute as Morocco showed that becoming the first Arab or African nation to reach the World Cup semi-finals last year was no fluke.
“I wouldn’t say we lacked understanding, it’s about putting into practice the ideas of a new coach,” said Manchester United’s Casemiro.
“I think we played a good game and did everything as far as possible to win.”
- Ex-Chief of General Staff Oladipo Diya dies at 79
- We will not tolerate anarchy – DSS
- Govt rescues 12-year-old girl allegedly defiled by her father
Only 10 of the 23-man squad that took Brazil to a disappointing quarter-final exit at the World Cup made the trip to Morocco for the game.
The injured Neymar was again missing with his number 10 shirt passing to Real Madrid youngster Rodrygo.
Brazil also had a new manager in the dugout with interim coach Ramon Menezes having replaced Tite who stepped down after the World Cup last-eight exit at the hands of Croatia.
The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) hopes to be able to announce the name of its new coach before the start of qualifying for the 2026 World Cup in September.
According to Brazilian media, the CBF’s first choice is Carlo Ancelotti, currently in charge of Real Madrid.
However, he is not expected to make a decision on his future before the end of the European season.
Before kick-off at the Ibn Batouta stadium, both teams paid tribute to Pele, who died last December at the age of 82.
Until Saturday, Morocco had suffered defeats in their only two other meetings with Brazil — 2-0 in a 1997 friendly and 3-0 in the group stages of the 1998 World Cup in France.
It’s a joke to talk about sacking me after Nigeria loss to G’Bissau – Peseiro
Super Eagles coach, Jose Peseiro, says he will not expect the Nigeria Football Federation to sack him after his team lost 0-1 to a lowly rated Guinea-Bissau before their home fans in the country.
He said it would be shocking for the NFF to sack him following the 1-0 defeat in Nigeria on Friday.
The Super Eagles lost in front of their fans in Abeokuta on Friday, thanks to a first-half goal from Mama Balde.
The win took the Djurtus to the top of Group A with seven points, while Peseiro’s men dropped to second.
When asked if he would be surprised to be fired following the loss to Guinea-Bissau, Peseiro replied, “I would be surprised if I’m sacked now.
“In today’s game in the first 30 minutes, we created chances, but the likes of Osimhen, Chukwueze and Ndidi could not score.
“But I believe my team played better than the results reflect.
So for me, it’s a joke to talk about sacking me.”
This is coming as some former football internationals, fans and sport analysts are already calling on the NFF to sack Peseiro after winning only two of seven matches as head coach of the team.
Bayern Munich sack Nagelsmann and appoint Tuchel
Bayern Munich have sacked manager Julian Nagelsmann after less than two years in charge and appointed Thomas Tuchel as his replacement until 2025.
The German side have won the last 10 Bundesliga titles and sit second in the table this season – one point behind leaders Borussia Dortmund.
They beat Paris St-Germain to reach the Champions League quarter-finals, where they will face Manchester City.
Tuchel, 49, was sacked by Premier League club Chelsea in September.
He replaces Nagelsmann on a contract until 30 June 2025 and will take training for the first time on Monday.
Bayern chief executive Oliver Kahn said: “When we signed Julian Nagelsmann in the summer of 2021, we were convinced we would work with him on a long-term basis – and that was the goal of all of us right up to the end.
“But now we have come to the conclusion that the quality in our squad – despite the Bundesliga title last year – has come to the fore less and less often.
- US retaliates as suspected Iran drone kills US worker in Syria
- CJN worships at Abuja Mosque hours after claims of meeting Tinubu in London
- Cash in circulation to rise 20% to N3.8trn, scarcity ends April – Rewane
“After the World Cup we have played less successfully and less attractively. The big fluctuations in performance have cast doubt on our goals for this season, but also our goals for the future.
“That is why we have acted now. Personally and on behalf of Bayern, I would like to thank Julian and his coaching team, and wish everyone the best of luck for the future.”
Nagelsmann, 35, joined Bayern after a spell at RB Leipzig and won the league by eight points in his first season in charge, in addition to the German Supercup in 2021 and 2022.
On Sunday his side were beaten 2-1 by Bayer Leverkusen, leaving them with just five wins from their past 10 league games.
Bayern confirmed assistant coaches Dino Toppmoller, Benjamin Gluck and Xaver Zembrod have also left the club.
Tuchel won the Champions League with Chelsea in May 2021 – one of three trophies won in 20 months at Stamford Bridge – and was voted World Coach of the Year following that campaign.
But the German, also formerly of Borussia Dortmund and Paris St-Germain, was sacked on new Chelsea owner Todd Boehly’s 100th day in charge in September, following a 1-0 defeat by Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League.
Bayern’s next game is against league leaders Dortmund on Saturday, 1 April.
NAFDAC warns about danger of using EzriCare eye drop
PDP crisis worsens as Benue ward suspends national chairman Ayu
UK says Lagos, Onitsha, P’Harcourt should be cosmopolitan cities
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
Politics7 days ago
BREAKING: NNPP wins Kano guber election
metro4 days ago
BREAKING: NLC directs workers to shut down CBN offices nationwide
metro2 days ago
Updated: Court dismisses PDP suit seeking Tinubu, Shettima’s disqualification
News6 days ago
Ramadan: Sultan urges Muslims to look out for new moon on Wednesday
metro5 days ago
Grandmother sets son, wife, two grandchildren ablaze in Ondo
metro7 days ago
House of Assembly member, 163 others arrested over attempt to destroy Kano INEC office
Politics6 days ago
Wike’s anointed candidate, Siminialayi Fubara, declared Rivers governor-elect
metro7 days ago
Bandits kill chief’s wife after N2m ransom in Kaduna