MC Oluomo, others return to NURTW after months of absence - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

MC Oluomo, others return to NURTW after months of absence

Published

on

MC Oluomo, others return to NURTW after months of absence

Chairman, Lagos State Parks and Garages (LASPG), Alhaji Musiliu Akinsanya (MC Oluomo), has announced his return to the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) with all his members.
This follows the lifting of suspension of Oluomo and others in the South-West by the new national body of the led by Alhaji Tajudeen Agbede.
It was celebration galore on Thursday September 7 at the Lagos State Council secretariat of the union in the Agege area as all the returnee members turned up in their green and white uniform at the monthly meeting.
It will be recalled that members of the union were forced to join the Lagos Parks and Garages Management Committee when the former president, Alhaji Tajudeen Baruwa, suspended Oluomo.
Speaking at the event, Oluomo lauded the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, for his support to the union during the trial period.
He described the transition as a new dawn in the organisation.
He reiterated the union’s commitment to the THEMES agenda of the Lagos State governor and ensuring the unity of all members irrespective of political or religious affiliations.
He also commended the new NURTW national leader, Alhaji Agbede, for taking the initiative to right the wrongs of his predecessor, promising that Lagos council under his watch would soon regain its number one position.
He said, “As we transcend from Lagos State Parks and Garages to NURTW, the revamped NURTW (both at the national and Lagos State council) will not rest on its oars to support the THEMES agenda of His Excellency, Governor of Lagos State.”
Speaking on the development, Alhaji Agbede said it was a welcome development, noting that the state chairman, Oluomo, was unfairly treated by Baruwa, but the injustice had been corrected
Agbede assured that other states in South-West would be joining the NURTW family soon.
“One of the problems created by the former president was illegal suspension and expulsion of members, especially in the South-West, but with my arrival at the helm of affairs, efforts are ongoing to make sure that we bring everybody back into the NURTW family,” he said.

In a statement, the Confidential Secretary, Lagos State council of the union, Omowunmi Aliu, said the operations of the LASPG still remains the same even after transitioning to the NURTW.
He said adding that the insecurities earlier experienced in the LASPG was as a result of people not understanding what LASPG stands for.
He said, “I want to use this medium to tell the people that we are not going back in the way we do our work. Our operation is still going on normally. It is still the same union they have always known.
“We are only going back to our great union, which is the NURTW; we are still the same.”

metro

DHQ Confirms 100 US Military Personnel Arrive in Bauchi for Counter-Terrorism Training

Published

on

U.S Soldiers

DHQ Confirms 100 US Military Personnel Arrive in Bauchi for Counter-Terrorism Training

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has confirmed that approximately 100 United States military personnel have arrived at Bauchi Airfield to assist the Armed Forces of Nigeria in training, technical support, and intelligence-sharing operations aimed at enhancing the country’s capacity to combat terrorism and extremist threats.

In a statement on Monday, Major General Samaila Uba, Director of Defence Information, said the deployment followed formal engagements between Nigerian and US defence officials and was executed at the request of the Federal Government. The personnel’s arrival is part of outcomes from a bilateral working group engagement between the two countries and reflects the ongoing security partnership between Nigeria and the United States.

READ ALSO:

Major General Uba explained that the US troops are serving strictly in advisory and technical roles, focusing on joint training exercises, operational planning, and intelligence cooperation. He emphasised that they are not combat forces, and all activities are being conducted under the authority and control of the Nigerian Government, in close coordination with the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

The collaboration is designed to provide specialised technical expertise to Nigerian troops, strengthening efforts to detect, deter, and neutralise extremist groups across the country. According to DHQ, the joint exercises will improve operational effectiveness, enhance interoperability, and support Nigeria’s ongoing fight against terrorist organisations, including Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).

Officials stressed that the deployment demonstrates Nigeria’s commitment to national security and its continued collaboration with international partners to build military capacity, safeguard communities, and protect national sovereignty. The DHQ also assured the public of transparent updates as the training and intelligence initiatives progress.

DHQ Confirms 100 US Military Personnel Arrive in Bauchi for Counter-Terrorism Training

Continue Reading

metro

EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai
Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai

EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, spent Monday night in detention at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission headquarters in Abuja after hours of interrogation over allegations linked to a multi-billion-naira corruption investigation involving his administration.

El-Rufai arrived at the EFCC headquarters around 10 a.m. on Monday after honouring an invitation and was questioned throughout the day over claims contained in a **2024 report of the Kaduna State House of Assembly. The report accused his government of financial mismanagement, abuse of office, irregular contract awards, and improper loan utilisation between 2015 and 2023. By late Monday night, sources confirmed that he remained in custody.

A senior EFCC official said investigators had been working on the case for nearly a year, explaining that invitations to high-profile suspects are usually issued only after preliminary findings reach an advanced stage. EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale confirmed that El-Rufai honoured the invitation but declined to comment on the substance of the interrogation or disclose the next steps in the investigation.

READ ALSO:

The EFCC probe is anchored on findings by an ad hoc committee of the Kaduna State House of Assembly mandated to review the state’s finances, loans, and contract executions during El-Rufai’s tenure. The committee alleged that several loans were not applied to their stated purposes, claiming that about ₦423 billion was misapplied or unaccounted for, leaving Kaduna State with heavy financial liabilities.

Lawmakers subsequently recommended the prosecution of El-Rufai and senior officials of his administration for alleged money laundering, contract irregularities, and reckless borrowing. The report also cited disputed payments exceeding ₦155 million, the alleged diversion of ₦1.37 billion meant for a light rail project, and the purported laundering of ₦64.8 million by senior aides.

El-Rufai has consistently denied wrongdoing, describing the legislative report as politically motivated and insisting that all loans were lawfully obtained and deployed to projects in infrastructure, education, healthcare, and security across Kaduna State.

In a parallel development, the Federal Government filed criminal charges against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja, accusing him of unlawfully intercepting communications linked to the **National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The three-count charge, filed under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act and the Nigerian Communications Act, alleges that El-Rufai admitted during a **February 13 interview on Arise TV that he and associates listened to phone calls connected to the NSA. Prosecutors argue that the alleged actions amount to illegal interception and failure to report a cybercrime offence, which they say could pose national security risks. No arraignment date has been fixed.

Meanwhile, security sources disclosed that the Department of State Services has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, a lecturer and government critic who went missing in Kaduna.

According to the sources, El-Rufai’s international passport was seized at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, as part of ongoing investigations. Officials said the probe may also extend to social media activities by individuals connected to the case.

El-Rufai has repeatedly denied any involvement in Dadiyata’s disappearance, maintaining that he neither knew the activist personally nor ordered or sanctioned any action against him, and has called for an independent investigation to establish the truth.

EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations

Continue Reading

metro

Troops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations

Published

on

Troops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds in Borno

Troops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have intercepted ₦37 million in cash and several mobile phones suspected to be linked to terrorist financing and coordination during a security operation in Borno State.

The recovery was made at the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Chabbal checkpoint, a strategic location along routes frequently exploited by insurgents in the North-East. During a routine stop-and-search, troops intercepted a vehicle conveying five occupants—three men and two women—and discovered about ₦37 million concealed in bags.

According to the North-East Joint Task Force, multiple mobile phones were also recovered from the suspects. The devices are believed to have been used for terrorist communication, coordination, and funding activities. The suspects and items have been taken into custody for further investigation.

READ ALSO:

The interception forms part of sustained efforts to dismantle financial networks sustaining insurgent operations, with the military intensifying checks along key transit corridors to disrupt terror funding pipelines.

In a related operation, troops of Sector 1, working with local vigilante forces, carried out a night ambush along a known crossing route used by insurgents moving from Cameroon into Nigeria. Elements of the Islamic State West Africa Province encountered heavy firepower, retreated, and abandoned logistics supplies believed to be intended for their operations.

The military said the coordinated actions were aimed at blocking both the movement and financing of terrorist groups, adding that the high command has commended the troops for vigilance and professionalism, and reaffirmed commitment to restoring peace and stability in the North-East.

Troops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending