The International Monetary Fund has announced $650bn special drawing rights (SDRs) for member countries to boost the liquidity, with Nigeria getting $3.35 billion.
Managing Director of the IMF, Kristalina Georgieva, disclosed this in a statement on Monday.
The SDR is an international reserve asset created by the United Nations specialised agency to supplement its member countries’ official reserves.
The value of the SDR is based on a basket of five currencies – the U.S. dollar, the euro, the Chinese renminbi, the Japanese yen, and the British pound sterling. They are units of account for the IMF, not a currency per se.
Georgieva said the SDRs would be distributed to countries in proportion to their quota shares in the IMF.
She said $275 billion would go to emerging and developing countries, with low-income countries receiving about $21 billion.
“The largest allocation of Special Drawing Rights (SDRs) in history—about $650 billion—comes into effect today. “The allocation is a significant shot in the arm for the world and, if used wisely, a unique opportunity to combat this unprecedented crisis,” the IMF said.
It also stated, “The SDR allocation will provide additional liquidity to the global economic system – supplementing countries’ foreign exchange reserves and reducing their reliance on more expensive domestic or external debt. Countries can use the space provided by the SDR allocation to support their economies and step up their fight against the crisis.
“The SDRs are being distributed to countries in proportion to their quota shares in the IMF. This means about $275 billion is going to emerging and developing countries, of which low-income countries will receive about US$21 billion – equivalent to as much as 6 percent of GDP in some cases.”
The IMF leader said countries should ensure that decisions on the use of the SDRs must be prudent and well-informed.
She further stated that the IMF would provide a framework for assessing the macroeconomic implications of the new allocation, its statistical treatment and governance, and how it might affect debt sustainability.
The bank would also provide regular updates on all SDR holdings, transactions, and trading – including a follow-up report on the use of SDRs in two years’ time.
“To magnify the benefits of this allocation, the IMF is encouraging voluntary channeling of some SDRs from countries with strong external positions to countries most in need,” the statement said.
It added, “Over the past 16 months, some members have already pledged to lend US$24bn, including US$15 billion from their existing SDRs, to the IMF’s Poverty Reduction and Growth Trust, which provides concessional loans to low-income countries. This is just a start, and the IMF will continue to work with our members to build on this effort.
“This SDR allocation is a critical component of the IMF’s broader effort to support countries through the pandemic, which includes: US$117 billion in new financing for 85 countries; debt service relief for 29 low-income countries; and policy advice and capacity development support to over 175 countries to help secure a strong and more sustainable recovery.”
The new SDR allocation is the highest in the history of the IMF.
In June, President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Akinwumi Adesina, said G7 countries had also agreed to reallocate $100 billion in their IMF SDR to African states by October.
SERAP sues Buhari over alleged missing N11tn electricity fund
President Muhammadu Buhari has been dragged to court by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) for allegedly failing probe N11tn electricity fund said to missing.
The money, according to SERAP, was meant to provide regular electricity supply for the country since 1999, and it is suspected to have “been stolen, mismanaged or diverted into private pockets.”
In the suit number FHC/L/CS/1119/2022 filed last week at the Federal High Court, Lagos, SERAP sought for “an order of mandamus to direct and compel President Buhari to investigate how over N11 trillion meant to provide regular electricity supply has been allegedly squandered by governments since 1999.”
This is coming after it was reported that Nigeria’s electricity grid has collapsed at least three times within five months, and 130 times in seven years, plunging many households across the country into darkness.
Toyota-Suzuki joint SUV coming in August, Africa listed
The collaboration between Toyota and Suzuki is set to manifest in concrete terms as Toyota says it will start the production of a new SUV model developed by Suzuki at Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt. Ltd from August.
The Suzuki-developed SUV will come with mild and strong hybrid variants – made in India for both brands, multiple sources including motorauthority.com report.
The two companies are said to be planning to export the new model to markets outside India including Africa.
Toyota and Suzuki are promoting mutual supply of vehicles globally, which is one of the collaborations in their business partnership.
The two companies signed a memorandum of understanding for a business alliance in 2017. Since then, the two companies have been bringing together Toyota’s strength in electrification technologies and Suzuki’s strength in technologies for compact vehicles for joint collaboration in production and in the widespread popularization of electrified vehicles.
The powertrains of the new model to be on sale in India will be equipped with mild hybrid developed by Suzuki and strong hybrid developed by Toyota.
By bringing together strengths of both Toyota and Suzuki through the collaboration, the two companies say they will be able to provide a wide variety of vehicle electrification technologies to customers and contribute to the acceleration of electrification and the realization of a carbon-neutral society in India.
While Suzuki leads and understands the India market, Toyota brings hybrid tech to the table.
Maruti Suzuki India Limited and TKM will market the new model in India as Suzuki and Toyota models, respectively.
Ford to end production of Focus in 2025
Ford has confirmed that it will stop producing the Focus model in 2025, in a move that threatens the longer-term future of its Saarlouis, Germany plant that only makes that model.
Nigeria may not miss the exit of the Focus as it has not really been as popular as other Ford models such as the Escape, the Edge and Everest.
Ford however said that its plant in Saarlouis would continue to produce the Ford Focus passenger car, while the company is also evaluating options for future site concepts.
In Europe, Ford has emphasised the future role for electrified models – which includes its Cologne plant in Germany being a hub for EV production. It will build a new SUV based on VW’s MEB platform from 2023.
Ford also recently announced that its Valencia, Spain, plant would receive investment for making electric vehicles on a next-generation electric vehicle architecture.
BREAKING: Tinubu Leaves For France
Meet 22-year-old Kano prince, who marries two wives same day
Nigerians To Pay More For Beverages, Sweetened Drinks As FG Enforces Sugar Tax
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
[UPDATED]Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna + Video
Lagos mother fights off suspected ritualist attempting to abduct kids + VIDEO
General Overseer nabbed for drug trafficking in viral video performing miracles + Video
News4 days ago
FG shops for new accountant-general, asks qualified workers to apply
metro4 days ago
Headless Body Of Abducted Ex-Anambra Lawmaker Found
metro5 days ago
Nigerian Arrested in Morocco for Sexual Exploitation of Migrants
Entertainment4 days ago
‘Buga’ video hits one million views in 24 hours
metro6 days ago
Police arrest Nollywood actor over alleged rape of minor in Akwa Ibom
Education5 days ago
Anambra commissioner under attack for calling jobseeker idiot
metro4 days ago
For Failing to Give SARS N100,000 Bribe, Lagos Bus Driver Spends 4 Years in Prison
Entertainment7 days ago
Stay away from Kanye West, fans warn Kim Kardashian after emotional Fathers Day post