Connect with us

Sports

Nigeria vs Ghana: Confusion as CAF doctor collapses, dies after fans invaded MKO Abiola Stadium

Published

on

Confusion has surrounded the death of Confederation of Africa Football’s doping doctor, Dr. Joseph Kabungo.

Kabungo, a Zambian medical practitioner, was said to have died shortly after Ghana stopped Nigeria from qualifying for the 2022 World Cup on Tuesday.

There are reports that Kabungo died as a result of the stampede that occurred at the Moshood Abiola National Stadium in Abuja before the commencement of the match.

However, another account blamed fans’ invasion of the pitch after the match for the doctor’s death.

It was also reported that the doctor suffered a cardiac arrest.

This is as efforts to reach the officials proved abortive as of the time of filing this report.

British-Nigerian journalist, Osasu Obayiuwana, tweeted that the doctor’s death was confirmed after he was rushed to the hospital.

It was learnt that Kabungo’s family, the Zambia FA and the Government of Zambia had been informed.

Osasu tweeted, “Sad news: I understand that an official for the @NGSuperEagles vs @GhanaBlackstars
match (not a referee or assistant referee) died in #Abuja today.

READ ALSO:

“His name is Dr Joseph Kabungo from Zambia. He was on duty as Doping officer. He collapsed suddenly and died. Cause of death not confirmed yet. His family, the Zambia FA and the government of Zambia have been duly informed.

“If the death of #Zambian doctor Dr Joseph Kabungo at the #Abuja stadium was caused by being attacked by the #Nigerian fans who invaded the pitch, after the @NGSuperEagles lost the @FIFAWorldCup ticket to @GhanaBlackstars, @thenff would be in terrible trouble with @FIFAcom.”

A Ghanaian sports journalist, Collins Poku, who was also at the venue of the match, alleged that the doctor was beaten to death.

While replying Osasu’s tweet, he posted, “They beat him, he fell and they throded on him. He lost consciousness was rushed to an ambulance closer to the Ghana dressing for CPR. The entire Ghanaian contingent watched on as resuscitation attempts were made with oxygen mask. He was taken to hospital later and now this. Sad.”

Meanwhile, a sports expert, Saddick Adams, claimed Kabungo had a cardiac arrest.

He tweeted, “A reliable CAF source tells me the death of the CAF Medical officer at the Moshood Abiola stadium last night was NOT related to the crowd violence.”

A report sent to the CAF team by the Game Control Department was quoted as reading in part, “Kabungo had a cardiac arrest when walking towards the team dressing rooms and collapsed on the floor.

READ ALSO:

“Both team doctors and other medical personnel administered CPR on him but after a while he was taken to hospital and that’s when the terrible news was confirmed.”

The deceased, a former Mufulira Wanderers goalkeeper, also once served as Chongwe and Siavonga District Chief Health Medical Officer.

At UNZA his mates fondly called him, “Walter Zenga” after the Italian great goalie.

Nigeria failed to qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup finals billed for Qatar after the Super Eagles could only draw 1-1 with the Black Stars of Ghana on Tuesday.

The draw in this home leg of the qualifying competition’s playoff round came short of helping Nigeria’s pursuit of a seventh mundial appearance.

Both sides had drawn goalless on Friday in the opening leg at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi.

The Super Eagles had then needed an outright win at the Moshood Abiola National Stadium in Abuja.

EAGLE

Sports

Ronaldo denies Saudi Arabia transfer deal, rejects new offer from Australia

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo has denied reports linking him with a potential move to Saudi Arabian outfit Al-Nassr on a lucrative offer worth £173million-a-year.

The Portuguese star, who came off the bench in Portugal’s 6-1 thumping of Switzerland, said after the match that the report is untrue.

Ronaldo is a free agent after reaching a mutual agreement with Manchester United to terminate his contract following his explosive interview with journalist, Piers Morgan.

This has intensified interest from clubs with reports rife in the media recently of a deal reached with Al-Nassr that would see the 37-year-old forward ply his trade in the Middle East.

READ ALSO:

“No, that is not true – not true,” Ronaldo said.

The five-time Ballon d’Or has also rejected a move to join a club in Australia (A-League).

A-League chief Danny Townsend disclosed the plans to lure Ronaldo to Australia shortly after the 37-year-old’s Manchester United exit but has now confirmed that the Portugal captain has knocked back their offer.

“We had interesting discussions, and there was genuine interest, but it’s clear he has other priorities at this stage,” Townsend told the Sydney Morning Herald.

Continue Reading

Sports

Ramos bags hat-trick as Portugal reach W’Cup quarter-finals

Published

on

Goncalo Ramos justified the shock decision to drop Cristiano Ronaldo by scoring a hat-trick on his full debut as Portugal demolished Switzerland 6-1 on Tuesday to power into the World Cup quarter-finals.

The 21-year-old Ramos, who started instead of Ronaldo, became the youngest player to strike three times in a World Cup knockout match since Pele in 1958.

Pepe, Raphael Guerreiro and Rafael Leao were also on target for a rampant Portugal, who booked a showdown with Morocco on Saturday for a place in the last four in Qatar.

Ronaldo, 37 and now without a club after his departure from Manchester United, has hogged the headlines during the tournament while looking a shadow of his former self.

The only man to score at five World Cups, Ronaldo was left out by coach Fernando Santos against the Swiss following his angry response to being substituted in the last group game.

READ ALSO:

It was a bold call to omit a player with a record 118 international goals in favour of giving a full debut to Ramos, the Benfica striker who had played just 33 minutes across three previous appearances.

But it took just 17 minutes for Ramos to reward Santos’ faith, and to achieve something Ronaldo has never done — score in a World Cup knockout game.

Joao Felix clipped delicately into the feet of Ramos, who quickly swivelled past Fabian Schaer and rifled into the roof of the net past a stunned Yann Sommer.

Otavio, who returned to the Portugal midfield after injury in their opening match, shot straight at Sommer before Ramos did likewise moments later.

Xherdan Shaqiri drew a fingertip stop from Diogo Costa with a dipping free-kick from distance, but Portugal soon had their second.

Bruno Fernandes whipped in a corner and the 39-year-old Pepe towered above the Swiss defence to powerfully head home.

Diogo Dalot hacked Remo Freuler’s header off the line after Diogo Costa failed to properly deal with a cross, but the Swiss simply had no answers against an irresistible Portugal.

Ramos turned in his second from close range six minutes into the second half from Dalot’s cross down the right.

He then turned provider by playing in Guerreiro to lash in another just four minutes later as the Swiss defence was ruthlessly ripped apart.

It was also Ramos who inadvertently glanced a corner towards Manuel Akanji at the far post as the Manchester City centre-back pulled one back for Switzerland.

Ramos completed his treble after more outstanding work from Felix, nonchalantly dinking over Sommer with one of his final touches before making way for Ronaldo.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s introduction elicited the biggest roar of the night. Ronaldo did have the ball in the back of the net but it was ruled out for a clear offside.

Leao capped off a sensational Portugal performance with a terrific curling strike in stoppage time.

AFP

Continue Reading

Sports

Spain’s World Cup exit to Morocco ‘cruel’ – Busquets

Published

on

Sergio Busquets said Spain’s 3-0 defeat on penalties by Morocco was a “cruel” way to decide the World Cup last-16 clash on Tuesday after the teams drew 0-0.

The midfielder’s spot-kick was saved by goalkeeper Yassine Bounou as the 2010 World Cup winners failed to score any of their penalties.

“It was a pity. It was decided on penalties in the most cruel way,” said Busquets.

“It was tough, very hard for us. We tried to wear them down, give them the run-around, find spaces. We lacked that little luck for the final ball.”

pain were also knocked out of Euro 2020 on penalties in the semi-finals by Italy.

READ ALSO:

Busquets, 34, would not be immediately drawn on whether he would continue playing international football.

“Now the most important thing is the national team and not me,” said the Barcelona player.

“It’s a tough night and we have to pick ourselves up and use this as experience for our game. There are some very young players who this will help a lot.”

Spain goalkeeper Unai Simon was the hero in Euro 2020 against Switzerland in a quarter-final shoot-out but on this occasion he could only stop one of Morocco’s efforts.

“I think in the 120 minutes of the game, we were superior to our opponents, but what I say counts for little now if we can’t find the net,” added Simon, who saved Badr Benoun’s penalty.

“In the shoot-out they were superior and that is what took them to the quarter-finals.

“We are seeing that there are surprises throughout the World Cup. We were not capable of overcoming them and we did not expect to be eliminated against Morocco, but it’s the reality and now we have to go home.”

AFP

Continue Reading

Trending