News
NIN/passports logjam: FG moves NIMC to ministry of interior

The federal government on Wednesday, September 13, moved the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to the Ministry of Interior.
The decision was reached in order to address the intractable problems associated with the National Identity Numbers (NIN) as one of the major conditions for seamless application and obtaining of International Passports and other travelling documents.
The NIMC was until now supervised by the Ministry of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy.
The Nation gathered in Abuja on Wednesday that the process of moving out the NIMC to the Ministry of Interior is being accelerated in line with President Bola Tinubu’s administration’s directive to remove all impediments and bottlenecks from obtaining NIN, and Passports.
READ ALSO:
- Sanwo-Olu swears in commissioners, special advisers(FULL LIST)
-
Aproko Doctor calls for autopsy on Mohbad’s death
-
UNILAG students resume protest against hike in school fee
A source familiar with the operations of NIMC told our correspondent in Abuja that the Ministry of Interior remains the traditional home of NIMC. The Source regretted that the problems associated with obtaining National Identity Numbers would have been addressed long ago with technological innovation, except for the mindset of Nigeria’s bureaucracy anchored on “awards of contracts”.
When contacted on the relocation of NIMC to the Ministry of Interior, the Head of Corporate Communications of NIMC, Kayode Adegoke confirmed the development.
He said: “Yes, we have been moved.”
Asked to explain the delays associated with issuance of NIN to Nigerians, especially those with change of birth date and arrangements of a sequence of names, Adegoke said the issues are being addressed.
He said NIMC would launch a mobile application by this weekend as part of several innovations to tackle the problems.
Adegoke said: “We are coming up with several innovations to address the problems. Nigerians will have opportunities to make online requests for changes of dates of birth, or any updates regarding their personal information. They will apply online and get responses in real-time.”
READ ALSO:
Police conniving with land grabbers to jail victims – Ogun Assembly
PDP rejects tribunal judgment declaring Lalong winner
US House probes Biden family for alleged corruption
Asked whether NIMC is aware that some persons are using the problems to obtain money fraudulently from Nigerians, Adegoke dismissed the insinuations, saying such persons are certainly not from NIMC.
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Immigration Service has disclosed that more personnel are being deployed to all its frontline desks across the country to meet the two-week deadline set by the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo.
Tunji-Ojo had a week ago asked the Service to clear the over 200,000 Passport application backlogs in the country. He announced on Tuesday that over 55,000 had been cleared within five days of his ultimatum.
The Service maintained that since the Minister handed down the ultimate, the personnel of the NIS worked even at weekends, including Saturdays and Sundays to ensure that the backlogs were cleared.
The Public Relations Officer of the Service, Dr Dotun Aridegbe told our Correspondent that the NIS Acting Comptroller General, Mrs Wura-Ola Adepoju has been proactive in responding to the deadline, while all facilities as well equipment are working optimally.
Dr Dotun said:” We have been working seriously to meet the deadline. And even before then, the Acting CG has been extremely proactive.
“Our personnel are working every weekend at all Passport offices around the country. And the frontline desks are working as well, including on Saturdays and Sundays.”
News
I didn’t collapse, says Wike, warns death rumour mongers

I didn’t collapse, says Wike, warns death rumour mongers
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has debunked reports that he collapsed and was rushed to the hospital last week.
Wike described the reports of his rumoured collapse as the handiwork of “baseless” people trying to score cheap political points.
He spoke after inspecting four ongoing projects in the FCT, including the International Conference Centre.
Online posts circulating on X had surfaced alleging that the minister collapsed at an event on Friday in the FCT.
The rumour also claimed that Wike was immediately rushed to an undisclosed hospital, where he received treatment.
Reacting, Wike said, “There was no time I collapsed, there was no time anybody took me overseas. But you see me every day. The day Mr President broke iftar on his birthday, I was there.
“The next day, I led Abuja residents to pay Sallah homage. I see all those stories just died down. This is politics. We have thick skin. Those things don’t bother us. We are not distracted. We are focused on our jobs.
“So, I thank Nigerians for being worried, which should be, but people should not wish their fellow human beings such a thing to happen.
“We know that we will die one day. Nobody will remain in this world forever, but it is only God that says the day you will die, not any human being to say you will die today or you will die tomorrow.
“So, you have seen that I am even healthier than most of them who carried that rumour and I will write their condolence letters. I can assure you that I will write their condolence letters.”
News
World Bank approves Tinubu’s $632m loan request

World Bank approves Tinubu’s $632m loan request
The World Bank is poised to approve $632 million in new loans to Nigeria today (Monday), amid growing concerns over the country’s expanding debt profile.
The loans are intended to support important sectors such as nutrition enhancement and quality basic education.
According to data obtained from the World Bank’s website on Sunday, the two loans scheduled to be approved today are $80 million for the Accelerating Nutrition Results in Nigeria 2.0 initiative and $552 million for the HOPE for Quality Basic Education for All programme.
Both projects are now in the negotiating phase and are likely to gain final clearance later today.
These new loans are part of the World Bank’s overall strategy to support Nigeria’s development agenda, which focuses on healthcare, education, and community resilience.
The loans will support the government’s efforts to improve nutrition and education for Nigerian children.
Additionally, the World Bank approved a $500 million loan for Nigeria’s Community Action for Resilience and Economic Stimulus Programme on March 28, 2025, a significant step towards addressing the country’s economic challenges through expanded access.
The initiative, formally known as the NIGERIA: Community Action (for) Resilience and Economic Stimulus Programme, is intended to give critical support to households impacted by economic downturns while also strengthening community resilience.
The initiative focuses on vulnerable populations, providing assistance to households and small companies to help them cope with economic difficulties.
READ ALSO:
- Okada rider allegedly stabbed to death by wife over money
- Police rescue two persons abducted in Lagos
- Miyetti Allah accuses Benue community of poisoning 20 cows
The loan clearance is likely to considerably boost Nigeria’s efforts to revive the economy through grassroots backing, especially given current issues such as inflation and high living costs.
The stimulus plan will prioritise enhancing food security and developing economic possibilities for the populations most affected by recent economic changes.
This decision came after a delay in distributing funds for a previous loan aimed at poor and vulnerable Nigerians.
Further investigation by The PUNCH revealed that the World Bank disbursed around $315 million to Nigeria from the $800 million allocated for the National Social Safety-net Program Scale Up.
Nigeria is yet to receive further funding from the World Bank for this loan project, which was approved in December 2021. The delay in grant release is most likely due to fraud detected under the initiative.
In honour of the 2023 International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, President Bola Tinubu unveiled a social safety net programme that will distribute N25,000 to 15 million households over the course of three months.
The Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation was responsible for managing the $800 million World Bank loan initiative.
However, due to allegations of embezzlement, the federal government was forced to stop the cash transfer program for further investigation and reform.
Betta Edu, a former humanitarian minister, was previously suspended for misappropriating N585 million set aside for palliative care distribution.
READ ALSO:
- Wike’s aide slams Atiku, says it’s too late to buy integrity
- Reps Committee recovers N21.4bn from four oil companies
- West African juntas impose levy on imported goods ECOWAS nations
Furthermore, Sadiya Umar-Farouq, Edu’s predecessor, was under investigation by the EFCC. The former minister is being investigated for allegedly laundering N37.1 billion during her stint as minister.
The World Bank also imposed sanctions on people and businesses discovered to be engaging in fraud under the initiatives.
According to the World Bank’s official website, this will bring Nigeria’s total approved loans to $9.25 billion over three years, indicating a growing reliance on multilateral funding to support critical sectors of the economy such as infrastructure, healthcare, education, and financial resilience.
A review of Nigeria’s World Bank loan approvals since 2023, under President Bola Tinubu’s government, reveals a huge rise in funding commitments.
In 2023, the World Bank approved $2.7 billion in loans for renewable energy, women’s empowerment, education, and the power sector. In 2024, funding approvals totalled $4.32 billion for various projects.
This increase was largely due to Nigeria’s growing need for financial assistance to stabilise the economy amid fiscal pressures and rising public debt.
Under President Bola Tinubu’s administration, the World Bank granted around 11 different credit projects for Nigeria.
In less than two years, the federal government has acquired loans from the World Bank totalling $7.45 billion, raising concerns about the mounting debt burden. According to data from the Debt Management Office, the World Bank’s portion of Nigeria’s external debt is $17.32 billion as of the third quarter of 2024.
The International Development Association is owing the majority of this debt, which amounts to $16.84 billion, or 39.14 per cent of Nigeria’s total external debt.
The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, another World Bank subsidiary, is owing $485.08 million, or 1.13 per cent.
While the planned World Bank loans may give much-needed budgetary relief, concerns persist about the country’s mounting debt burden.
According to recent data from the Central Bank of Nigeria, the country has spent $5.47 billion servicing external debt in the last 14 months, underscoring the strain on its foreign reserves.
World Bank approves Tinubu’s $632m loan request
News
Investigation of wanted businesswoman Achimugu not linked with Atiku, Sanwo-Olu – EFCC

Investigation of wanted businesswoman Achimugu not linked with Atiku, Sanwo-Olu – EFCC
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has reacted to media reports linking its investigations of Ms. Aisha Achimugu with political undercurrents involving former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu
This is contained in a statement by the commission on Friday night.
The statement read, “We wish to state unequivocally that the investigations of Achimugu have no correlation of any kind with the two political actors. She is being investigated for alleged criminal conspiracy and money laundering and has since been declared Wanted by the Commission”.
The EFCC started investigating Achimugu in 2022. Although she approached the court to obtain an injunction restraining the Commission from arresting, investigating, inviting or detaining her for any alleged criminal act, the injunction was challenged and vacated on Wednesday, February 19, 2025 by a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.
The court ruled that “…no court has the power to stop the investigative powers of the Police or EFCC or any agency established under our laws to investigate crimes when there is reasonable suspicion of commission of a crime or ample evidence of commission of an offence by a suspect.”
“The court further upheld the interim order of forfeiture of assets of Achimugu suspected to be proceeds of crime, dismissing her suit against it as lacking merit .
“The foregoing clearly establishes that the EFCC’s case against her has no immediate or remote nexus with any politician or any veiled or open reference to any political engagement or transaction.
“The EFCC is non-partisan and non-sectarian. We enjoin the public to continue to keep faith with the professionalism of the Commission without imputing any extraneous consideration to its works.”
-
metro3 days ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
metro2 days ago
Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport
-
International2 days ago
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown
-
metro2 days ago
Updated: Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 for Eid
-
metro2 days ago
Edo Gov Okpebholo wins round one as tribunal upholds his election
-
metro3 days ago
Police hunt for last suspect in LASU graduate killing
-
metro2 days ago
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
-
metro16 hours ago
Fraud rocks FIRS, court orders final forfeiture of Abuja, Kano houses linked to official