OAU student’s murder: Adedoyin, 6 others know fate May 30 – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

OAU student’s murder: Adedoyin, 6 others know fate May 30

Published

on

Timothy Adegoke and Prince Rahman Adedoyin

OAU student’s murder: Adedoyin, 6 others know fate May 30

Osun State Chief Judge, Adepele Ojo, will on Tuesday, May 30, deliver judgement on the alleged murder of ex-Masters student of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Timothy Adegoke.

A hotel owner, Dr. Ramon Adedoyin and six of the staff working with the Hilton Hotel, Ile-Ife, had been standing trial on 18 counts that include murder, conspiracy and interference with a corpse, following the death of Adegoke, who allegedly lodged in the hotel facility on November 5, 2021, but was found dead the next day.

Apart from Adedoyin, other co-defendants in the matter include; Magdalene Chiefuna, Adeniyi Aderogba, Oluwole Lawrence, Oyetunde Kazeem Adebayo Kunle and Adedeji Adesola.

The parties in the matter adopted their final written addresses and argued their cases before the court on Thursday, April 27.

At the sitting, after adopting his final written address filed on April 13, counsel to Adedoyin, the 1st defendant in the matter, Mr. Yusuf Alli, SAN, said there was no link between his client and the death of the late Adegoke, beyond the fact that the hotel, where the late OAU student died, belongs to the first defendant.

READ ALSO:

Alli, who insisted that there was no vicarious liability in law, said the charges pressed against his client and other defendants were based on suspicion and asked the court to discharge and acquit them.

In their separate submissions after adopting their final written addresses, replies on point of law and affidavits, counsel to 2nd, 4th and 5th defendants, Muritala Abdulrosheed, SAN, counsel to 3rd and 6th defendants, Dr. Rowland Otaru, SAN, and the lawyer representing the 7th defendant, Okon Ita, all asked the court to discharge their clients, as there were no compelling facts linking them to the crime.

But the prosecutor, Femi Falana, who adopted his final written address filed on March 29, 2023, recalled how Adegoke died and his body dumped in the bush, as well as the efforts made to hide the crime from the authorities by those involved after the oath of secrecy was administered on them.

Falana insisted that based on the evidence led before the court, the defendants, if found guilty should get a judgement commensurate to their level of involvement.

The court subsequently adjourned for judgement, which Justice Ojo said would be delivered before the end of May.

Besides the judgement on the main case, the court is also expected to rule on the issue of fiat to prosecute the case by Femi Falana, which the defence counsel were also challenging.

The prosecution counsel, Fatimoh Adesina, during an interview on Thursday, said the parties would return to court on Tuesday for judgement on the matter.

Adesina said, “It is Tuesday. We are going to court on Tuesday for the judgement.”

metro

Court turns down ex-power minister’s request for overseas medical trip

Published

on

Former Power and Steel Minister Olu Agunloye

Court turns down ex-power minister’s request for overseas medical trip

A Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court on Wednesday refused to grant an application filed by Dr Olu Agunloye, a former minister of power and steel, seeking to travel abroad for medical treatment.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is prosecuting him over certain infractions regarding the $ 6 billion Mambilla Hydroelectric Power Station in Taraba.

Agunloye, who served as a minister in the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, is being prosecuted by EFCC, on behalf of the Federal Government, before Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie.

He was charged in the suit, marked FCT/HC/CR/617/22, with a seven-count charge bordering on forgery, disobedience of presidential order and corruption.

He was alleged to have , among others, on May 22, 2003 awarded a contract titled “Construction of 3,960 megawatt Mambilla Hydroelectric Power Station on build, operate and transfer basis to Sunrise Power and Transmission Company Limited without any budgetary provision, approval and cash backing.

READ ALSO:

The prosecution also alleged that it traced some suspicious payments made by Sunrise Power and Transmission Company Limited to the former minister’s accounts.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Delivering a ruling, Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie, held that the defendant failed to adduce sufficient evidence to show that his ailment could not be treated by a hospital in Nigeria.

He therefore dismissed his application to travel abroad for medical treatment.

The judge subsequently, adjourned until Sept 23 for continuation of trial.

On January 11, Agunloye was arraigned on a seven-count charge bordering on fraudulent award of contract and official corruption.

The court admitted him to bail in the sum of N50 million.

The court also seized his passport as one of the bail conditions.

Agunloye, through his counsel, Adeola Adedipe, SAN, had applied for the release of his passport to enable him travel.

At the last adjourned date, Adedipe said his client needed urgent medical attention abroad.

Some of the documents tendered by the defence lawyer included medical reports from University College Hospital, Ibadan and the NISA Premier Hospital, Abuja.

The defendant also included a letter from the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) and an invitation from a foreign medical analyst requesting him to travel abroad for an urgent medical evaluation.

However, the application was opposed by the EFCC which claimed the former minister was a flight risk, having amply demonstrated unwillingness to present himself for trial until he was declared wanted.

Court turns down ex-power minister’s request for overseas medical trip

Continue Reading

metro

Bayelsa varsity final-year student killed over N150 levy

Published

on

Bayelsa varsity final-year student killed over N150 levy

A final year student of the Niger Delta University (NDU) Wilberforce Island, Francis Palowei, was st*bbed to d3ath by some youths over 500 levy in Amassoma community, Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.

The student of the Social Science Education Department was k!lled at a popular sand dump on Monday, July 15, 2024, when he refused to give the youths N150.

A resident of the community, who spoke to Daily Trust on the condition of anonymity, said the sand dump is a popular spot where students often go to relax and socialize.

He said some youths of the area, seeing the concentration of students around the sand dump, took it upon themselves to levy any students that came to that spot to relax, especially those who wanted to climb to the top.

He said on Monday evening, the student went to the spot with some of his friends and was heading to the top of the dump when some youths demanded N500 instead of the “regular N150 levy.”

READ ALSO:

An argument was said to have ensued after which the youths invited others, including a notorious cultist, to attack Palowei. Unfortunately, Palowei died during the attack

He described the student as a promising young man with a bright future, adding that his murder had left his family, friends, and the entire university community in mourning.

The deceased, who was a native of Obrigbene town in Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, was expected to graduate on Wednesday, July 24, 2024, when the university will hold its next convocation.

It was also gathered that the deceased’s father is a high-ranking police officer.

The Public Relations Officer at Niger Delta University, Mr Ndoni Igezi, who confirmed the incident on Wednesday, July 17, described it as unfortunate, stating that police were already on the matter to curtail any escalation.

“The sand dump is located at the end of the community. Though the owner of the dump is not charging any fees for it, some youths in the community normally collect N150 to allow people to climb to the top to have fun.

The spokesperson of the State Police Command, ASP Musa Muhammed, who confirmed the incident said the Commissioner of Police had already deployed additional security personnel to the area to restore calm and orderliness.

He also stated that police were on the trail of the suspected killers.

Bayelsa varsity final-year student killed over N150 levy

Continue Reading

metro

Ignore Igboho’s eviction order, police tell herders

Published

on

Sunday Igboho

Ignore Igboho’s eviction order, police tell herders

The Oyo State Police Command has warned civilians to ignore a viral video posted on social media by suspected separatist groups issuing eviction orders to herders in the state’s Igboho area.

SP Adewale Osifeso, the state’s Police Public Relations Officer, issued the statement in Ibadan on Wednesday.

Osifeso claimed that the video, which leaked online in the early hours of Tuesday, was expressly created by mischief-makers to undermine the state’s relative quiet by encouraging violence and civil unrest.

READ ALSO:

“The Oyo State Police Command wishes to dispel unfounded rumours and speculations across certain segments, making the round on social media, over the purported eviction of herders at Igboho, Oorelope, and local government areas by suspected separatist group members as misleading and complete falsehood.

“No notice of eviction was pronounced by any individual or group on anyone at any period in time,” Osifeso said.

He stated that the state commissioner of police, Ayodele Sonubi, has directed the supervising area commander in charge to personally lead confidence-building patrols and improve the visibility of personnel throughout the jurisdiction.

Osifeso further stated that more command operational, intelligence, and tactical assets had been deployed to avert any unforeseen incidents.

Ignore Igboho’s eviction order, police tell herders

Continue Reading

Trending