metro
One person confirmed dead, three rescued as truck crushes bus in Lagos
One person confirmed dead, three rescued as truck crushes bus in Lagos
One person has been confirmed dead and three others rescued after a truck crushed a commercial minibus in the early hours of Sunday, along Old Ipaja Road by Agbotikuyo, Lagos.
It was gathered that the Mack truck suffered a brake failure and fell on the minibus — commonly known as “Korope” — heading towards Iyana Ipaja.
The crash resulted in the immediate death of the minibus driver, while three passengers — two females and one male — were rescued unhurt and quickly handed over to emergency medical personnel for assessment and care.
The incident caused heavy traffic congestion, as the fallen truck blocked more than half of the road, affecting movement along adjoining routes including Shofunde and Olufunlayo streets.
Confirming the incident, the spokesperson of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), Adebayo Taofiq, said the agency’s officials swiftly implemented diversion and traffic control measures to ease the gridlock.
READ ALSO:
- Now is time for peace, says Trump after US strike on Iran nuclear sites
- Two warders suspended for assisting Lagos robbery inmate to process passport
- Traditionalists frustrating police investigation of Ekiti masqueraders attack on Muslim ladies – MURIC
According to him, the truck driver, who attempted to flee the scene, was intercepted by LASTMA operatives and handed over to security personnel from Elere and Area ‘G’ Police Divisions.
“the truck driver, in a failed attempt to abscond from the scene, was apprehended by vigilant LASTMA Officers and promptly transferred to security personnel from both the Elere and Area ‘G’ Police Divisions, who had been duly notified by LASTMA officials,” Adebayo said in a statement.
Emergency responders from the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Lagos State Ambulance Services (LASAMBUS), and the Nigeria Police Force worked alongside LASTMA to secure the area, recover the remains of the deceased, and restore normal traffic flow.
Meanwhile, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Transportation, Hon. Sola Giwa, has expressed condolences to the family of the deceased.
He urged operators of articulated vehicles to prioritize regular mechanical checks, especially on braking systems, before hitting the road.
He emphasized the state government’s commitment to enforcing roadworthiness standards and ensuring safer roads for all.
“Truck operators must adhere strictly to safety protocols. It is non-negotiable that every articulated vehicle undergoes thorough mechanical inspection — especially the braking systems — before venturing onto our roads. Preventable tragedies like this underscore the need for unwavering compliance,” Giwa said.
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Sports2 days agoWAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
-
Politics1 day agoDavido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
