International
One third of Gaza residents not eating for days, UN warns
One third of Gaza residents not eating for days, UN warns
Almost one in three people in the Gaza Strip are going for days without eating, the UN’s food aid programme has warned.
“Malnutrition is surging with 90,000 women and children in urgent need of treatment,” the World Food Programme (WFP) said in a statement.
Warnings of starvation in Gaza have intensified this week. Nine more people died of malnutrition on Friday, according to the Palestinian territory’s Hamas-run health ministry – bringing the total such deaths since the war began to 122.
Israel, which controls the entry of all supplies into Gaza, says there is no restriction on aid getting into the territory and blames Hamas for any malnutrition.
On Friday, UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer suggested the UK would play a role in dropping aid into Gaza by air after more than a third of MPs signed a letter calling on the government to recognise a Palestinian state.
This came after an Israeli security official had said that airdrops of aid into Gaza could be allowed in the coming days – something aid agencies have previously cautioned is an inefficient way to get supplies into Gaza.
“News that Israel will allow countries to airdrop aid into Gaza has come far too late – but we will do everything we can to get aid in via this route,” Sir Starmer wrote in The Mirror.
Sir Keir also said the UK was “urgently accelerating efforts” to evacuate children who need critical medical assistance to the UK for treatment.
While local media reported the United Arab Emirates and Jordan would carry out the latest drops, a senior Jordanian official told the BBC that its military was yet to receive permission from Israel to do so.
The UN has described the move as a “distraction to inaction” by the Israeli government.
The move came amid mounting international concern about humanitarian conditions in Gaza.
On Friday, Germany, France and the UK called on Israel to “immediately lift restrictions on the flow of aid” into the territory.
READ ALSO:
- Many Nigerians in UK risk deportation over scrapping of sponsorship
- UK, French, German leaders press Israel over Gaza aid
- Soldiers kill many terrorists, rescue 170 victims, foil oil theft
In a joint statement, they called for an immediate end to the “humanitarian catastrophe that we are witnessing in Gaza,” and to the war itself, adding that Israel must “uphold its obligations under international humanitarian law”.
“Withholding essential humanitarian assistance to the civilian population is unacceptable,” read the statement.
The UN Secretary General António Guterres said he could not “explain the level of indifference and inaction we see by too many in the international community – the lack of compassion, the lack of truth, the lack of humanity”.
Addressing the Amnesty International global assembly, he said more than 1,000 Palestinians had been killed while trying to access food since 27 May – when the US and Israeli-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) began distributing supplies as an alternative to the UN-led system.
A US security contractor who worked for the GHF in May and June 2025 told the BBC on Friday that he had “without question… witnessed war crimes” during that time.
Anthony Aguilar said he saw the IDF and US contractors using live ammunition, artillery, mortar rounds, and tank fire on civilians at food distribution sites.
The retired soldier said: “In my entire career, I have never witnessed the level of brutality and use of indiscriminate and unnecessary force against a civilian population until I was in Gaza at the hands of the IDF and US contractors.”
In its response, the GHF said the claims – which came from “a disgruntled former contractor who was terminated for misconduct a month ago” – were “categorically false”.
Meanwhile, the future of talks to secure a new ceasefire and hostage-release deal remains uncertain, after the US and Israel withdrew their negotiating teams from Qatar.
READ ALSO:
- Afenifere to Kwankwaso: Stop spreading dangerous lies about Tinubu govt
- PDP now wooing Peter Obi for 2027, says Jerry Gana
- 223 firms get 21-day Customs ultimatum on N379.6bn import duty
US President Donald Trump said Hamas “didn’t really want to make a deal”.
“I think they want to die,” he said.
Hamas has expressed surprise about the US remarks.
A senior Hamas official also told the BBC’s Gaza correspondent that mediators had informed the group negotiations had not collapsed, and said the Israeli delegation was expected to return to Doha next week.
Israel launched a war in Gaza in response to the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.
More than 59,000 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.
Israel imposed a total blockade of aid deliveries at the start of March and resumed its military offensive against Hamas two weeks later, collapsing a two-month ceasefire. It said it wanted to put pressure on the group to release its remaining Israeli hostages.
Although the blockade was partially eased after almost two months amid warnings of a looming famine from global experts, the shortages of food, medicine and fuel have worsened.
Most of Gaza’s population has been displaced multiple times and more than 90% of homes are estimated to be damaged or destroyed.
On Thursday, France announced it would official recognise a Palestinian state in September – a move which angered Israel and its main ally, the US.
A day later, more than a third of UK MPs signed a letter to Sir Keir calling for the UK to follow suit.
But the prime minister indicated such a move would not be imminent – it would have to be part of a “wider plan which ultimately results in a two-state solution” – a Palestinian state alongside Israel.
Almost a third of people in Gaza not eating for days, UN food programme warns
![]()
International
Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
Three people were killed after two teenage gunmen stormed the Islamic Center of San Diego in California, United States, in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime targeting Muslims.
The deadly San Diego mosque shooting, which happened on Monday at the Clairemont-area mosque, also left the two suspects dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to police.
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed that officers responding to reports of an active shooter found three adult male victims dead inside the mosque complex.
One of those killed was identified as a mosque security guard who officials said played a heroic role in preventing the attack from becoming even more devastating.
“One of the deceased is a security guard that works there and I think played a pivotal role in assisting from this being much worse,” Wahl said during a press briefing.
Authorities said the two suspects, aged 17 and 19, were later discovered dead inside a vehicle several blocks away from the mosque after allegedly taking their own lives.
Investigators revealed that one of the suspects had reportedly taken firearms from a parent’s home before carrying out the attack.
Police also disclosed that the teenager’s mother had earlier alerted authorities that her son was missing, suicidal and possibly armed, sparking concern before the shooting unfolded.
The investigation intensified after detectives reportedly recovered anti-Muslim writings and hate-related messages from weapons and materials linked to the suspects.
“We are considering this a hate crime until it’s not,” Police Chief Wahl stated.
READ ALSO:
- NDC Confirms Peter Obi As Only Presidential Aspirant After Deadline
- “Atiku Can’t Win Election” — Amaechi Rules Out Stepping Down
- El-Rufai Denies Wrongdoing As DSS Presents TV Interview In Court
The Islamic Center of San Diego, regarded as the largest mosque in the city, also houses Islamic schools attended by Muslim children.
Witnesses described terrifying scenes as gunfire erupted during activities around midday prayers, forcing worshippers and students to seek cover while heavily armed police officers flooded the area.
A nine-year-old student who survived the attack told reporters he hid inside a closet with classmates as the shooting continued outside.
Police said officers arrived at the scene within four minutes of receiving the first emergency call at about 11:43 a.m. local time.
More than 50 officers later conducted an extensive search of the mosque and surrounding buildings as part of the emergency response.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) confirmed that federal agents, evidence response teams and victim specialists had joined the investigation.
FBI Director Kash Patel said federal authorities would provide all necessary resources to support the probe into the deadly attack.
Imam and Director of the mosque, Taha Hassane, condemned the shooting and described the attack on a place of worship as heartbreaking.
“We have never experienced a tragedy like this before,” Hassane said while thanking emergency responders and community leaders for their support.
Authorities confirmed that all children, teachers and staff members linked to the mosque’s schools were safely evacuated.
Following the shooting, police departments in cities including New York, Los Angeles and Washington increased security patrols around mosques and other places of worship.
United States President Donald Trump and California Governor Gavin Newsom were also briefed on the incident.
Trump described the attack as “a terrible situation” and said federal authorities were closely monitoring developments.
Meanwhile, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) condemned the violence and warned about rising cases of Islamophobia and anti-Muslim discrimination across the United States.
Investigators said the motive behind the California mosque shooting remains under active investigation as authorities continue reviewing surveillance footage, weapons evidence and the suspects’ online activities.
Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
![]()
International
Iran Demands Sanctions Relief In Response To US Peace Offer
Iran Demands Sanctions Relief In Response To US Peace Offer
Iran has formally submitted its response to the latest United States proposal aimed at ending the ongoing conflict, using Pakistan as a mediator, as tensions continue to rise over the future of the fragile ceasefire between both sides.
According to reports by Al Jazeera and Iran’s semi-official Tasnim News Agency, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed on Monday that Tehran’s latest position had been delivered to Washington through Pakistani intermediaries.
“The points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian negotiating team in every round of negotiations,” Baghaei said during a press briefing.
The diplomatic exchanges come amid growing uncertainty surrounding a ceasefire that largely halted six weeks of fighting involving Iran, the United States, and Israel.
Talks mediated by Pakistan have reportedly stalled in recent days, with US President Donald Trump warning that the truce was “on life support.”
Iran’s latest demands reportedly include the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad, the lifting of US sanctions, compensation for war-related damages, and the removal of what Tehran described as a blockade on Iranian ports.
Iran is also insisting on a complete halt to hostilities across all fronts, including Lebanon, where Israeli military operations and airstrikes have reportedly continued despite ceasefire arrangements.
READ ALSO:
- Chike Reacts To Rumours Linking Him With Frank Edoho’s Estranged Wife
- Kidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded As Makinde Confirms Arrest Of Six Suspects
- Seven Soldiers Killed As Lakurawa Terrorists Ambush Troops In Sokoto
According to Iranian media outlet Fars News Agency, the latest US proposal presented a five-point framework that conditioned a permanent cessation of hostilities on Tehran entering formal peace negotiations with Washington.
The proposal reportedly included demands for Iran to maintain only one operational nuclear facility and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.
Washington has also reportedly pressed Iran to dismantle key elements of its nuclear programme and ease restrictions affecting navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategic oil shipping routes.
Before the conflict escalated, the Strait of Hormuz reportedly handled nearly one-fifth of global crude oil and liquefied natural gas exports.
Iran, however, has maintained that it would continue to oversee activities around the waterway, which has remained partially disrupted since the beginning of the war.
Fars also claimed that the United States had refused to release “even 25 percent” of Iran’s frozen assets or agree to reparations for damages caused during the conflict.
Over the weekend, Trump intensified pressure on Tehran in a post shared on Truth Social.
“The Clock is Ticking,” Trump wrote, warning that Iran “better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!”
Meanwhile, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent announced plans to urge G7 finance ministers to align with US sanctions aimed at cutting off financing to what he described as Iran’s “war machine.”
US news outlet Axios also reported that Trump is expected to meet national security advisers on Tuesday to discuss possible options for renewed military action should negotiations collapse completely.
Analysts say concerns are growing that hostilities could resume within days if diplomacy fails.
Mohamad Elmasry, a professor of media studies at the Doha Institute of Graduate Studies, told Al Jazeera that competing influences within the Trump administration and pressure from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu could push Washington back toward military confrontation.
Despite the mounting pressure, Iranian officials insist the country is prepared for any escalation.
“As for their threats, rest assured that we are fully aware of how to respond appropriately to even the smallest mistake from the opposing side,” Baghaei said during the televised briefing.
The developments have continued to trigger concerns across global energy markets and diplomatic circles, with fears that a collapse of negotiations could further destabilise the Middle East and disrupt international oil supplies.
Iran Demands Sanctions Relief In Response To US Peace Offer
![]()
International
Man ‘Allowed’ Landlord to Rape His Wife, Daughter to Settle Unpaid Rent
Man ‘Allowed’ Landlord to Rape His Wife, Daughter to Settle Unpaid Rent
MORBI, India – In a shocking case of exploitation and betrayal, a labourer and his landlord have been arrested in Gujarat’s Morbi district after police uncovered a horrific arrangement where the husband allegedly allowed the landlord to repeatedly rape his wife and 13-year-old daughter in exchange for waiving off pending house rent of just ₹2,000 per month.
The case has sparked outrage across the country, highlighting how extreme financial distress can lead to unimaginable human rights violations. Police have registered charges under the Bharatiya Nyay Sanhita (BNS) and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
How the Exploitation Began
According to the First Information Report (FIR) and police statements, the family—originally from Surendranagar—had moved to Morbi six months ago in search of work. They rented a house for ₹2,000 per month. However, as the husband’s financial condition worsened and his small business failed, they fell behind on rent for three to four months.
Police Inspector Y.B. Jadeja of Morbi ‘A’ Division stated that the landlord, aged 55, took advantage of the family’s desperation. Instead of pursuing legal recourse for the unpaid rent, he allegedly proposed a criminal “oral agreement” : sexual favours from the labourer’s wife in exchange for clearing the rent debt.
READ ALSO:
- DHQ Denies Foreign Troops Participated In Operation That Killed Al-Minuki
- Kabiru Sokoto Challenges Life Sentence, Seeks Acquittal
- 15-Year-Old APC Aspirant Quits Kaduna Reps Race Over Age Scandal
Father’s Alleged Consent Led to Repeated Assaults
Shockingly, police investigations revealed that the husband consented to the arrangement. Following this, the landlord allegedly raped the woman multiple times—at their rented home, at the landlord’s residence, and at another property in Tankara.
The situation escalated when the landlord’s demands turned to the couple’s minor daughter, aged 13. According to police, the father again gave his consent, leading to the serial sexual abuse of the child by the landlord and another individual.
How the Case Came to Light
The cycle of abuse might have continued indefinitely had it not been for police intelligence. Officers received confidential information about the exploitation and began discreet inquiries. When they confronted the family, the husband allegedly tried to send his daughter away to relatives to evade investigation.
Police traced the maternal grandmother of the minor victim (the wife’s mother), who was unaware of the atrocities. Disturbed by the revelations, she filed a formal complaint on April 24 (or May 1 per some sources), triggering the formal legal process.
Arrests and Legal Action
Following the complaint, Morbi Police swiftly arrested:
-
The landlord (55) – Charged with rape under BNS and POCSO Act.
-
The labourer (husband/father) – Charged with abetment of rape for consenting to the crimes against his own wife and child.
A third accused—a relative or aide of the landlord—is currently absconding and is accused of raping the wife. Police have formed special teams to track him down.
The landlord was initially remanded to one day of police custody before being sent to judicial custody. The father has been sent to jail. The case has been registered under stringent sections of the BNS and the POCSO Act.
Official Statements
Deputy Superintendent of Police J.M. Lal confirmed the arrests and stated that investigations are ongoing. “We have recorded the statements of the victims and collected forensic evidence. The third accused will be arrested soon,” he said.
No comment has yet been issued by the landlord or the labourer’s legal representatives.
A Grim Reminder of Vulnerability
This case has reignited debates about tenant rights, economic coercion as a tool for sexual exploitation, and the failure of social safety nets. Child rights activists have demanded the strictest punishment under the POCSO Act, including the possibility of the death penalty for the landlord and the father as an abettor.
Man ‘Allowed’ Landlord to Rape His Wife, Daughter to Settle Unpaid Rent
![]()
-
metro2 days agoAbducted Oyo School Principal Begs FG For Rescue In Viral Video
-
metro3 days agoFayose Loses Wife To Cancer After Prolonged Illness
-
metro20 hours agoKidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded As Makinde Confirms Arrest Of Six Suspects
-
metro3 days agoMURIC Raises Alarm Over Appointments, Administrative Processes at FUNATO
-
Politics3 days agoOsogbo Community Leader Sues for Peace as Political Rivalry Divides Odekilekun Family
-
News3 days agoVirgo International Sensitises Intending Pilgrims Ahead of 2026 Hajj
-
News2 days agoAFIDMURG Trains Over 150 African Researchers On Infectious Disease Systematic Review
-
Politics2 days ago15-Year-Old APC Aspirant Quits Kaduna Reps Race Over Age Scandal
