Osun man on death row for fowl theft shares how police subjected 17-year-old self to torture - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Osun man on death row for fowl theft shares how police subjected 17-year-old self to torture

Published

on

Osun man on death row for fowl theft shares how police subjected 17-year-old self to torture

Segun Olowookere, a man who was sentenced to death for stealing fowls in Osun State when he was 17, has recounted how the police tortured and gave him a cutlass used as an exhibit against him as a minor in court.

FIJ had earlier reported that Governor Ademola Adeleke planned to pardon Olowookere after news of how Justice Sakariya Oyejide Falola sentenced Olowookere and Morakinyo Sunday to death in 2014 broke out.

Olowookere was charged in court with conspiracy, armed robbery and stealing. It was on these grounds that Falola delivered his judgment.

Olowookere and Sunday spent some days at a police station in Okuku before their arraignment and conviction. Olowookere said that the police gave them one cutlass each while at the station for weeding the premises.

However, the two of them were later transferred to Osogbo, the state capital, with the cutlasses. These cutlasses were later presented before the judge as exhibits of an armed robbery offence, Olowookere told The Punch in an interview on Sunday.

HOW HE WAS ARRESTED

Now in a custodial centre working with a medical team, Olowookere said he gave himself up for the arrest in November 2010.

“I was at my father’s shop in Oyan after returning from school. My dad and I were discussing my university admission and suddenly, we heard gunshots, and everybody ran away except my dad and a few others,” he narrated.

“My father was taken to a police van where there were some children. I was peeping out and could hear and see what was going on. The police asked my dad where I was and he asked them what my offence was. When they couldn’t give him a satisfactory response, my father shouted at the top of his voice that I should run away because the police wanted to arrest me.

READ ALSO:

“But I was wondering what my offence was. So, I came out and went to meet them. I was detained at the police post in Oyan and was taken to Okuku Divisional Police Headquarters the following day. I met the children who were in the police van when they came for me sitting on the ground and eating rice.”

THEY WERE GIVEN CUTLASSES

Olowookere recalled that the divisional police officer (DPO) heading the station at the time accused him of being a leader of an armed robbery gang consisting of teenage children.

Some days after his arrest, his parents were still making efforts to secure his bail. While this was ongoing, the police engaged them in labour, giving them a cutlass each to cut the grasses at the station.

“The DPO told me that one of the children confessed to stealing two broilers and some crates of eggs. I met the broilers and the eggs at the station,” he said.

“The children were eight in number. He told me the children said I was their gang leader, which I denied. The children he was talking about were around 12 and 13 years old, while I was 17 then. I told him I knew the children but I didn’t have anything to do with them other than greeting them in the community.

“I met Sunday Morakinyo at the station, and he told the police that he didn’t know me nor had anything to do with me. I don’t even know where he was arrested. All the children were released but Morakinyo and I were not.

“We were seriously tortured from the first day I got to the Okuku Police Station under the supervision of the DPO. The children who allegedly committed the crime were not beaten. He repeatedly asked me to admit and confess to a crime I didn’t commit.

READ ALSO:

“After some days, we were given cutlasses to cut the grass at the police station premises despite having injuries on every part of our body as a result of the torture.”

BAIL SUM BEYOND HIS PARENTS

Olowookere’s father was asked to produce N30,000 for his bail, but his father could only raise N20,000, and the police would not cut down this financial bail demand.

His father then left the station, perhaps to gather the shortfall of N10,000. Before his father could return, the police had ferried them to Osogbo.

“My father could only raise N20,000 out of the N30,000 they demanded. The police rejected it and insisted on the N30,000,” Olowookere said.

“My dad left the station to look for the money. But before he returned the following day, we had been moved to the SARS office in Osogbo. The cutlasses that were given to me and Morakinyo to cut the grass were presented to SARS as exhibits and they were told we were armed robbers.

“After 17 days in the SARS cell, we were taken to a magistrate court and charged with robbery, and from there to the High Court, where we were sentenced to death.”

The poultry farm from which they were alleged to have stolen fowls belonged to one of his uncles.

Despite initially promising not to pursue the case against him, the uncle went on to testify in court against him.

“We are from the same Ajerotutu Compound in Oyan. He was summoned to a family meeting where he said I was not among those who stole the fowls, but my name was mentioned by the children who were arrested,” Olowookere explained.

“He told the family that he would discontinue the case. But he later came to court to testify against me.

“I never wrote any statement to the police. My parents never had a flat, not to mention a six-bedroom flat. I lived with my parents until I was arrested.”

READ ALSO:

Asked why his lawyer didn’t object to the statement during the trial, Olowookere said, “I didn’t know anything, but I am sure I didn’t write any statement.”

SUNDAY SUFFERS MENTAL ILLNESS

As a result of the torture they received at the police station before arraignment, Sunday began to bleed from several parts of his body.

Eventually, this bleeding led to his becoming mentally ill, according to Olowookere.

“He is now a mad person. He is at Ibara Prison. He developed mental issues when we were tortured at the police station in Okuku and by the officers of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad. I am just lucky, and I believe God’s grace is over me,” he said.

“Morakinyo was bleeding from the anus, ears, nose and on the head. The police did not treat him despite that. I cleaned the cell every day because his blood stained the floor. He was bleeding for the entire six days we spent inside the Okuku police cell before we were transferred to the SARS cell in Osogbo.

“We spent 17 days with SARS and Morakinyo bled every day. Some of the SARS officers noticed that he was not mentally normal again but others thought he was pretending, and from there, he developed full mental issues.

“When we were remanded at Ilesa Custodial Centre, the warders tried to manage his mental health but they didn’t have the capacity. His condition then worsened. As I am talking to you, he doesn’t recognise anybody again. His mother has stopped checking up on him.”

Olowookere said he was hopeful that he would regain his freedom someday to pursue his academic studies and become useful to the world.

“I first enrolled in Yewa College of Education, Abeokuta, Ogun State, after my sentence. It is my dream to study medicine, but it is not available at a college of education. I was later transferred to a maximum prison in 2016. But due to financial constraints, I couldn’t study my dream course,” he explained.

“However, I was encouraged to train under the medical practitioners in the prison. So, I applied and I was accepted into the medical line in 2017. Since then, I have been working with the nurses, pharmacists and doctors inside the prison.

“I believe I will be free one day, and when I regain my freedom, I will definitely go for medicine. I pray to God to set me free because I am innocent.

“I don’t know anything about the crime I am convicted for. I pray to God to give me the opportunity to prove my innocence to the world and be useful to society. I am not a criminal; I have never stolen anything in my life, not to talk of robbing somebody.”

Osun man on death row for fowl theft shares how police subjected 17-year-old self to torture

metro

Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger

Published

on

Police-Arrest

Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger

Security agencies in Niger State have arrested a village head and 33 other suspects following the killing of Police Constable Emmanuel Shamsi and the burning of an NSCDC patrol vehicle during a violent confrontation linked to illegal mining activities in Zuzungi, Katcha Local Government Area.

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Niger State Command, confirmed the arrests, stating that 34 suspects are now in custody. Nineteen of the suspects were apprehended at the village head’s residence in Zuzungi Gwari, Kataeregi, where they had sought refuge after the incident. The remaining fifteen suspects were intercepted while attempting to flee the community.

The deadly incident occurred last Wednesday during a joint security patrol involving the NSCDC, Nigeria Police Force (NPF), and the local Anti-Drugs Control (ADC) outfit. The patrol was conducted in the mining area operated by Millennium Metals Mining Company, as part of ongoing efforts to curb illegal mining and mineral smuggling in the state.

READ ALSO:

According to NSCDC Commandant Suberu Siyaka Aniviye, the security team intercepted individuals allegedly involved in illegal mining and the smuggling of minerals, but the suspects violently resisted. The confrontation escalated, leading to the destruction of an NSCDC patrol Hilux vehicle and the tragic death of Police Constable Emmanuel Shamsi in the line of duty. Security personnel tactically withdrew to prevent further casualties before launching an operation to apprehend the perpetrators.

Authorities describe the arrest of the village head and 33 others as part of a broader crackdown on criminal elements in Niger State’s mining communities. The arrests aim to ensure that justice is served for the slain officer and to reinforce lawful compliance within the solid minerals sector.

The incident has sparked condemnation from government officials, including Dr. Dele Alake, Minister of Solid Minerals Development, who described the killing as “criminal murder” and assured that security and intelligence agencies are on high alert. He further pledged that violent resistance to lawful mining operations will not be tolerated.

Illegal mining in northern Nigeria has increasingly resulted in violent confrontations with security forces, highlighting the risks faced by law enforcement and the need for stronger enforcement and community engagement to curb criminal activities. Investigations into the role of each suspect are ongoing as authorities prepare legal proceedings against those involved.

Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger

Continue Reading

metro

Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes

Published

on

Chairman of the Presidential Committee on Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms, Mr. Taiwo Oyedele
Taiwo Oyedele, Chairman of the Presidential Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms Committee

Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes

The Federal Government has dismissed claims that the Nigeria Tax Act 2025 imposes a 25% tax on building materials, construction-related funds, business expenses, or money in bank accounts. The government described the viral video circulating on social media as false and misleading, adding that the law, which has already taken effect, does not postpone implementation until 2027.

Taiwo Oyedele, Chairman of the Presidential Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms Committee, said the misinformation misrepresents the objectives of the Tax Act, which are to lower housing costs, support real estate development, and encourage economic growth. He clarified that the video’s claims — that the law would start in 2027 and impose a 25% levy on construction transactions — are both inaccurate.

Under the new law, several housing and construction reliefs have been introduced. Land and buildings are exempt from Value Added Tax (VAT) under Section 185(l), while contractors can recover VAT on materials and services, reducing overall construction expenses. The Withholding Tax (WHT) rate on construction contracts has been lowered to 2%, improving cash flow for developers. Individuals building owner-occupied homes can deduct mortgage interest, and property owners earning rental income may deduct expenses such as repairs, insurance, and agency fees. These provisions are designed to make housing projects more affordable and attractive to investors.

READ ALSO:

The Act also offers direct support for renters and low-income earners. Eligible tenants can claim rent relief of up to ₦500,000, equivalent to 20% of annual rent, while rent payments are fully exempt from VAT. Lease agreements below ₦10 million per year, or less than ten times the national minimum wage, are also exempt from stamp duty. These measures are expected to increase disposable income for low-income households and reduce the financial burden of housing.

Incentives under the Act extend to investors and businesses in the construction and real estate sectors. Individuals are exempt from Capital Gains Tax when selling a dwelling house or interest in one. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) distributing at least 75% of dividends or rental income within 12 months are exempt from Companies Income Tax. Manufacturers of building materials, including iron, steel, and domestic appliances, may qualify for tax holidays of up to 10 years, while large businesses could see Companies Income Tax reduced from 30% to 25%. These provisions are intended to encourage investment, stimulate local production, and support the growth of the housing sector.

The Tax Act also includes provisions that relieve workers and small businesses. The taxable value of employer-provided accommodation is capped at 20% of an employee’s annual gross income, excluding rental value. Small companies that qualify under the Act will pay 0% Companies Income Tax, are exempt from charging VAT, and are not required to deduct Withholding Tax from invoices and payments. These measures reduce the compliance burden on smaller businesses and support entrepreneurship.

The committee also clarified what the Act does not include. It does not tax money in bank accounts, does not impose 25% taxes on construction costs or building materials, and does not delay implementation until 2027. Officials described claims suggesting otherwise as misleading and urged Nigerians to rely on verified government sources for accurate information. According to the committee, the Tax Act is intended to make housing more affordable, reduce rent, and stimulate economic growth, not to increase taxes on citizens or businesses.

Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes

Continue Reading

metro

Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community

Published

on

Public Relations Officer, Kwara State Police Command, SP Adetoun Ejire‑Adeyemi
Public Relations Officer, Kwara State Police Command, SP Adetoun Ejire‑Adeyemi

Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community

Barely 24 hours after armed bandits attacked communities in Patigi Local Government Area and Edu Local Government Area, suspected terrorists on Sunday night carried out a fresh attack on Share, the headquarters of Ifelodun Local Government Area, forcing residents to flee for safety.

The attack reportedly occurred around 8:00 pm, when heavily armed gunmen stormed the town and began shooting indiscriminately, throwing the community into panic and confusion. Residents said the sustained gunfire lasted for a prolonged period, prompting many families to abandon their homes and seek refuge in neighbouring areas.

Eyewitnesses, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the assailants appeared to be on a targeted mission, allegedly searching for specific individuals. One resident claimed the gunmen were looking for a person identified as Zulu Alfa Dako, adding that the attackers entered the town from a nearby axis.

Kidnappers have entered Share; everyone is running for safety,” a resident said. “They kept shooting endlessly and the whole town was thrown into chaos.”

READ ALSO:

Another resident, overwhelmed by fear, said while the attackers targeted some individuals, it was still unclear whether anyone was abducted during the operation.

“The gunmen entered the town and caused havoc by shooting non-stop. I don’t know if anyone has been kidnapped yet,” the resident said.

Efforts to get immediate comments from the Kwara State Police Command spokesperson, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, were unsuccessful as of press time.

However, the Kwara State Government later confirmed that the attackers were repelled by security forces. The Special Assistant on Communication to Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, Ibrahim Abdullateef, said combined security operatives swiftly responded to distress calls and engaged the gunmen.

“Local security sources have reported that bandits that were reportedly attacking Share community, Ifelodun LGA, have been successfully repelled by combined security forces,” Abdullateef said in an update.

He added that the exchange of gunfire lasted for about one hour, noting that no death or abduction has been officially recorded so far, though security agencies are still monitoring the situation.

The latest attack came against the backdrop of rising insecurity in Kwara State, following bandit raids on communities in Edu and Patigi LGAs, where four people were kidnapped and several others injured. The back-to-back attacks have heightened fear among residents and renewed calls for stronger security presence, improved intelligence gathering, and sustained patrols across vulnerable communities.

Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending