metro
Osun man on death row for fowl theft shares how police subjected 17-year-old self to torture
Osun man on death row for fowl theft shares how police subjected 17-year-old self to torture
Segun Olowookere, a man who was sentenced to death for stealing fowls in Osun State when he was 17, has recounted how the police tortured and gave him a cutlass used as an exhibit against him as a minor in court.
FIJ had earlier reported that Governor Ademola Adeleke planned to pardon Olowookere after news of how Justice Sakariya Oyejide Falola sentenced Olowookere and Morakinyo Sunday to death in 2014 broke out.
Olowookere was charged in court with conspiracy, armed robbery and stealing. It was on these grounds that Falola delivered his judgment.
Olowookere and Sunday spent some days at a police station in Okuku before their arraignment and conviction. Olowookere said that the police gave them one cutlass each while at the station for weeding the premises.
However, the two of them were later transferred to Osogbo, the state capital, with the cutlasses. These cutlasses were later presented before the judge as exhibits of an armed robbery offence, Olowookere told The Punch in an interview on Sunday.
HOW HE WAS ARRESTED
Now in a custodial centre working with a medical team, Olowookere said he gave himself up for the arrest in November 2010.
“I was at my father’s shop in Oyan after returning from school. My dad and I were discussing my university admission and suddenly, we heard gunshots, and everybody ran away except my dad and a few others,” he narrated.
“My father was taken to a police van where there were some children. I was peeping out and could hear and see what was going on. The police asked my dad where I was and he asked them what my offence was. When they couldn’t give him a satisfactory response, my father shouted at the top of his voice that I should run away because the police wanted to arrest me.
READ ALSO:
- Why we displayed ‘Jesus Christ is not God’ banner at Lekki mosque -Imam
- Lagos-Calabar coastal road: Train track work begins 2025, says minister
- Three days to Christmas, food prices, transport fares hit the roof
“But I was wondering what my offence was. So, I came out and went to meet them. I was detained at the police post in Oyan and was taken to Okuku Divisional Police Headquarters the following day. I met the children who were in the police van when they came for me sitting on the ground and eating rice.”
THEY WERE GIVEN CUTLASSES
Olowookere recalled that the divisional police officer (DPO) heading the station at the time accused him of being a leader of an armed robbery gang consisting of teenage children.
Some days after his arrest, his parents were still making efforts to secure his bail. While this was ongoing, the police engaged them in labour, giving them a cutlass each to cut the grasses at the station.
“The DPO told me that one of the children confessed to stealing two broilers and some crates of eggs. I met the broilers and the eggs at the station,” he said.
“The children were eight in number. He told me the children said I was their gang leader, which I denied. The children he was talking about were around 12 and 13 years old, while I was 17 then. I told him I knew the children but I didn’t have anything to do with them other than greeting them in the community.
“I met Sunday Morakinyo at the station, and he told the police that he didn’t know me nor had anything to do with me. I don’t even know where he was arrested. All the children were released but Morakinyo and I were not.
“We were seriously tortured from the first day I got to the Okuku Police Station under the supervision of the DPO. The children who allegedly committed the crime were not beaten. He repeatedly asked me to admit and confess to a crime I didn’t commit.
READ ALSO:
- Three Ogun varsity students die auto crash
- Dangote, MRS agree to sell petrol at N935/litre nationwide
- How another Nigerian allegedly murdered by four South Africans
“After some days, we were given cutlasses to cut the grass at the police station premises despite having injuries on every part of our body as a result of the torture.”
BAIL SUM BEYOND HIS PARENTS
Olowookere’s father was asked to produce N30,000 for his bail, but his father could only raise N20,000, and the police would not cut down this financial bail demand.
His father then left the station, perhaps to gather the shortfall of N10,000. Before his father could return, the police had ferried them to Osogbo.
“My father could only raise N20,000 out of the N30,000 they demanded. The police rejected it and insisted on the N30,000,” Olowookere said.
“My dad left the station to look for the money. But before he returned the following day, we had been moved to the SARS office in Osogbo. The cutlasses that were given to me and Morakinyo to cut the grass were presented to SARS as exhibits and they were told we were armed robbers.
“After 17 days in the SARS cell, we were taken to a magistrate court and charged with robbery, and from there to the High Court, where we were sentenced to death.”
The poultry farm from which they were alleged to have stolen fowls belonged to one of his uncles.
Despite initially promising not to pursue the case against him, the uncle went on to testify in court against him.
“We are from the same Ajerotutu Compound in Oyan. He was summoned to a family meeting where he said I was not among those who stole the fowls, but my name was mentioned by the children who were arrested,” Olowookere explained.
“He told the family that he would discontinue the case. But he later came to court to testify against me.
“I never wrote any statement to the police. My parents never had a flat, not to mention a six-bedroom flat. I lived with my parents until I was arrested.”
READ ALSO:
- Copyright: Court orders Adele’s song removed from platforms
- Ibadan, Abuja, Anambra stampedes: IG orders probe, threatens prosecution of organisers
- Gabriel Jesus shines as Arsenal thrash Palace 5-1 in London derby
Asked why his lawyer didn’t object to the statement during the trial, Olowookere said, “I didn’t know anything, but I am sure I didn’t write any statement.”
SUNDAY SUFFERS MENTAL ILLNESS
As a result of the torture they received at the police station before arraignment, Sunday began to bleed from several parts of his body.
Eventually, this bleeding led to his becoming mentally ill, according to Olowookere.
“He is now a mad person. He is at Ibara Prison. He developed mental issues when we were tortured at the police station in Okuku and by the officers of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad. I am just lucky, and I believe God’s grace is over me,” he said.
“Morakinyo was bleeding from the anus, ears, nose and on the head. The police did not treat him despite that. I cleaned the cell every day because his blood stained the floor. He was bleeding for the entire six days we spent inside the Okuku police cell before we were transferred to the SARS cell in Osogbo.
“We spent 17 days with SARS and Morakinyo bled every day. Some of the SARS officers noticed that he was not mentally normal again but others thought he was pretending, and from there, he developed full mental issues.
“When we were remanded at Ilesa Custodial Centre, the warders tried to manage his mental health but they didn’t have the capacity. His condition then worsened. As I am talking to you, he doesn’t recognise anybody again. His mother has stopped checking up on him.”
Olowookere said he was hopeful that he would regain his freedom someday to pursue his academic studies and become useful to the world.
“I first enrolled in Yewa College of Education, Abeokuta, Ogun State, after my sentence. It is my dream to study medicine, but it is not available at a college of education. I was later transferred to a maximum prison in 2016. But due to financial constraints, I couldn’t study my dream course,” he explained.
“However, I was encouraged to train under the medical practitioners in the prison. So, I applied and I was accepted into the medical line in 2017. Since then, I have been working with the nurses, pharmacists and doctors inside the prison.
“I believe I will be free one day, and when I regain my freedom, I will definitely go for medicine. I pray to God to set me free because I am innocent.
“I don’t know anything about the crime I am convicted for. I pray to God to give me the opportunity to prove my innocence to the world and be useful to society. I am not a criminal; I have never stolen anything in my life, not to talk of robbing somebody.”
Osun man on death row for fowl theft shares how police subjected 17-year-old self to torture
![]()
metro
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, supported by vigilantes and local hunters, apprehended 30-year-old Halima Ibrahim during an intelligence-led raid in Bassa Local Government Area. The operation, linked to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, a locally fabricated revolver, and other military items.
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, in collaboration with members of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria and local hunters, have arrested a suspected gunrunner and recovered an AK-47 rifle, magazines and other military-related items in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State. The operation was carried out on Friday, August 21, following intelligence linking the area to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, Dr Abraham Owoicho, who was kidnapped on August 19.
According to security sources who spoke to security analyst Zagazola Makama, troops moved into Kisayi and Dogon Daji settlements after receiving intelligence on the activities of suspected criminals operating in the communities. The troops, supported by local security volunteers and hunters, raided the settlements and searched identified locations.
Several male residents reportedly fled into the surrounding bush when they sighted the advancing security personnel, leaving women and children behind. A 30-year-old woman, identified as Halima Ibrahim, was however arrested while allegedly attempting to escape with two AK-47 rifle magazines. Following her arrest, troops cordoned off and searched her residence in Kisayi B Village.
The search reportedly led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, which investigators are working to trace to its source and determine its ownership. During preliminary questioning, the suspect allegedly told investigators that the rifle belonged to her husband, identified as Ibrahim. Troops also recovered a locally fabricated revolver pistol, a military jungle hat and three mobile phones from the residence. The suspect and the recovered items have been taken into military custody as investigations continue.
READ ALSO:
- Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu, By Farooq Kperogi
- Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
- IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
The Nigerian Army has reiterated its commitment to conducting intelligence-driven operations to dismantle criminal networks involved in kidnapping, arms trafficking, and other violent crimes across the country. The operation in Plateau was part of broader efforts, with separate operations in Edo State leading to the rescue of a kidnapped victim.
According to security sources, investigators are working to establish the source of the firearms, the circumstances surrounding their possession and any possible links between the suspects and criminal networks operating in the area. The operation forms part of ongoing efforts by security agencies to disrupt kidnapping networks and the illegal arms trade in Plateau State, particularly following recent abductions in Bassa Local Government Area. Further intelligence-driven operations are expected in the affected communities as security agencies continue investigations.
The arrest comes amid heightened security operations in Plateau State, where troops and other security agencies have intensified efforts to disrupt criminal networks. In a separate operation on August 19, troops of Sector 8, Operation Enduring Peace, recovered one AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated revolver rifle, two Dane guns and 15 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition during a raid in Mangu Local Government Area, following intelligence about a suspected attack on Mwar community. The military has also intensified operations across the state, with troops of Sector 6 arresting 19 suspects in Riyom Local Government Area following an ambush that killed two security operatives.
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
![]()
metro
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on Osun State Government bank accounts after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu directed the agency to vacate the order.
The affected accounts, held with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now operational, according to confirmations from both the Presidency and an aide to Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.
A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed, saying the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive.
“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.
An aide to Governor Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit (PND) restriction had been vacated and that the state government’s accounts were functioning again.
The EFCC had imposed the restriction on August 5, 2026, as part of an investigation into the alleged fraudulent handling of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).
The commission said the investigation had been ongoing since March 2026 and was aimed at preventing the alleged diversion of public funds.
The decision to restrict the accounts, however, generated significant controversy because it came shortly before the August 15 Osun State governorship election.
READ ALSO:
- IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
- Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder
- N3.14 Trillion Spent on Electricity Subsidy in 31 Months – FG
The timing prompted allegations from the Osun State Government and its supporters that the EFCC action was politically motivated and intended to weaken Adeleke ahead of the election. The commission rejected the allegations and maintained that its action was connected to an ongoing financial investigation.
The dispute escalated after the President intervened and directed the EFCC to take steps to vacate the restriction.
Tinubu expressed concern about the timing of the action and its potential implications for public confidence in the electoral process, while also maintaining that anti-corruption agencies should carry out their responsibilities professionally.
The account restriction had also triggered a legal battle between the Osun State Government and the EFCC.
The state government approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to challenge the restriction and sought N2 billion in damages, arguing that the EFCC’s action unlawfully interfered with the state’s access to its funds.
The legal dispute changed following Tinubu’s intervention and the subsequent lifting of the restriction.
After being declared winner of the governorship election, Adeleke directed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the suit against the EFCC.
Adeleke said the President’s intervention had addressed the immediate dispute and that there was therefore no need to continue with the case.
With the accounts now operational, the immediate confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC appears to have eased.
However, the lifting of the account restriction does not necessarily mean that the underlying investigation has been discontinued. The EFCC’s earlier allegations concerning the handling of about N11 billion remain separate from the decision to restore access to the accounts.
The development has also renewed discussions about the relationship between anti-corruption agencies and elected governments, particularly when financial investigations take place close to major elections.
For the Osun State Government, the restoration of access to its accounts removes an immediate financial constraint and allows the state to continue accessing funds required for government operations.
For the EFCC, the development means the financial investigation, if still ongoing, would have to proceed through the appropriate legal and investigative channels without the earlier account restriction.
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
![]()
metro
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
![]()
-
metro2 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
Auto3 days agoNew Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
-
Business3 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
metro2 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
-
News2 days agoTinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND
-
Politics2 days agoAtiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
-
metro3 days agoArmed Men Raze ADC Chieftain’s House, Beat Family Members in Rivers Attack
