metro
Osun soldiers torture, force man to eat vomit, abandon corpse
The family of a car dealer, Adeyinka Adekunle, have called on the Osun State Police Command and the military authorities to bring his killers to book after he was tortured to death by soldiers at the Nigerian Army Barracks, Ibodi, Osun State.
The victim’s father, 79-year-old Pa David Adekunle, lamented that none of the officers involved in the killing had been brought to book since the incident happened.
The torture was allegedly carried out on the orders of one Lt. Tobi Akindapo.
PUNCH Metro gathered that Adeyinka and a friend, Solomon Ogundare, went to a beer parlour at Imo, Ilesa, on Thursday, March 24.
While the duo were drinking, they were approached by three men who solicited drinks from them.
Adeyinka and his friends, however, refused, saying they did not have money to buy extra drinks.
Our correspondents learnt that the men, who were soldiers, were not in uniform.
The youngest among them, said to be in his 20s, later queried Ogundare for slacking his trousers.
READ ALSO:
- Train attack: Terrorists release fresh video of kidnap victims
- As war enters bloody new phase, Ukraine again calls for more weapons
- Gbajabiamila launches App for tracking legislators’ performances
Adeyinka, 37, was said to have rebuffed him, questioning his authority to correct his friend’s dressing.
The matter was said to have led to exchange of words between the two groups.
As the altercation degenerated, one of the three men made a call to the barracks and soldiers stormed the scene.
However, while Adeyinka escaped from the area, his friend was caught and taken to the barracks, where he was tortured and locked up in a cell.
A Lexus 250 car belonging to Adeyinka which he drove to the beer parlour was reportedly vandalised and towed to the barracks.
Ogundare’s sister, Elizabeth Itunu, said she spoke to the soldiers during a visit to the barracks and they demanded N500,000 for the release of the car.
She said, “The soldiers said we would have to pay the money they used to tow the vehicle. I called Adeyinka and told him their demand. He thought the soldiers would not recognise him because the fracas happened at night.
“As we were both begging the soldiers, one of them identified him and that was how they seized him and started beating him in my presence. My brother was also tortured as well.
“So, I told the soldiers that now that you have beaten them, can you allow us take them for treatment? They did not listen. Instead, the young soldier who started the fight the previous night said he had not beaten them and he would start his own the following day.
“After much begging, they agreed to take N200,000 from us. I asked Adeyinka how much he had, and he said N40,000.
“We gathered N140,000 and I begged the soldiers to take the money and release them to us that night, and when we completed the payment, they could release the car; but they refused.”
Itunnu said she and a few other friends returned home without either Adeyinka or Ogundare, who were locked up in the guardroom.
READ ALSO:
- Osinbajo to APC governors: I’m running for president
- Lawmaker, others injured as thugs attack PDP meeting in Enugu
- I advised late Osinachi to leave her violent husband — Producer
The following day, she returned to the barracks and met the two men cutting grass as the soldiers whipped and kicked them.
“I observed that Adeyinka was very weak. He suddenly fell. They thought he was pretending and they started hitting him. When they saw that he was not moving, they checked his body and their boss said he should be rushed to a hospital,” she added.
Itunnu explained that her brother was put in the army truck, saying she later heard that the car dealer died before he got to a hospital.
“At that point, I became afraid as I saw that my brother was not breathing well. Their commander asked us to take my brother to a hospital as well.
“My brother told me that while he and Adeyinka were in the guardroom, he (Adeyinka) vomited. The soldiers then ordered him to start eating the vomit,” she stated.
The deceased’s father, Pa David, said he was informed that his son was taken to a police station when he visited the barracks.
“I went to the Ayeso Police Division and the police said they did not see any soldier. One of the policemen said I should go to Wesley Guild Hospital, Ilesa. On getting to the hospital, I was referred to the mortuary.
“At the mortuary, they said soldiers brought a corpse, but they rejected it and demanded to see a police report. They said they were forced to take the body. They brought out the body and it turned out to be my son,” he added.
He accused the Osu Divisional Police Officer, Akinsanya Ebenezer, who had jurisdiction over the matter, of attempting to bury the case.
READ ALSO:
- Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna
- Late Osinachi’s Husband Arrested As Nigerians Rise Against Domestic Violence
- Soyinka accuses Ganduje of hypocrisy over atheist’s imprisonment
The septuagenarian said he later reported the case at the police headquarters, Osogbo.
PUNCH Metro also learnt that the family had written a petition to the police and the army, demanding the arrest and prosecution of those involved in the murder.
“My son was buying and selling vehicles. He was my last child and my only son. He and his wife just had their first child, who is just two months old. I insist that the soldier that killed my son should be handed over to the police to face prosecution,” he added.
Akindapo could not be reached on his mobile phone, as he had yet to respond to a text message from our correspondents as of the time of filing this report.
The Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, Yemisi Opalola, confirmed that a soldier approached the Ayeso division, seeking assistance to enable him to deposit a corpse in the morgue.
She said, “But the police did not give him any operative to accompany him. The DPO only called the morgue and spoke to people there. That was the only police involvement.”
The spokesperson for 2 Division, Nigerian Army, Ibadan, Major Ikedichi Iweha, said investigation had commenced into the incident.
He said, “Our official position is that investigation has already commenced and appropriate action would be taken after the investigation.”
PUNCH
metro
Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother
Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother
In a development that has sparked widespread conversation across Nigeria’s religious and political space, Primate Elijah Ayodele has built and commissioned a new mosque in Lagos in honour of Chief Abibatu Mogaji, the late mother of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The prominent cleric, who leads the INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church, unveiled the mosque during his annual thanksgiving programme held in Oke-Afa, Isolo, describing the project as a fulfillment of what he called a divine instruction.
According to Ayodele, the decision to construct the mosque was not politically motivated but rooted in spiritual obedience. He stressed that the gesture was not aimed at gaining favour from the presidency or securing political influence, but rather to promote religious harmony and unity in Nigeria. “I built the mosque because God directed me to do so,” the cleric reportedly said at the commissioning ceremony.
READ ALSO:
- Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections
- Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
- MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
Ayodele explained that the newly completed mosque would be fully handed over to Muslim leaders and the local Islamic community for administration. He stated that neither he nor his church would be involved in its management, reinforcing his claim that the project was purely an act of faith and interreligious goodwill. Originally, the mosque was said to have been planned under a different name, but Ayodele disclosed that he later renamed it in honour of Tinubu’s mother following what he described as further divine direction. Chief Abibatu Mogaji, a respected community leader during her lifetime, remains a significant figure in Lagos political history due to her influence and grassroots mobilisation efforts.
The commissioning event drew attendance from religious leaders, traditional rulers, and political representatives, reflecting the broader significance of the gesture. Observers described the commissioning as a rare example of Christian–Muslim interfaith collaboration, particularly in a country where religious identity often intersects with politics. Supporters say the act underscores the importance of peaceful coexistence and tolerance between faiths, while critics have questioned the timing and broader implications of the move within Nigeria’s political climate.
Nonetheless, Ayodele maintained that the mosque stands as a symbol of unity and obedience to divine guidance, rather than a calculated political gesture. The development has since generated conversations online, with many Nigerians debating its spiritual, social and political dimensions.
Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother
metro
Bandits Abduct Wives, Daughters of JIBWIS Chief Imam, Others in Bauchi
Bandits Abduct Wives, Daughters of JIBWIS Chief Imam, Others in Bauchi
Suspected bandits have abducted the wives and daughters of the Chief Imam of Jama’atu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa Ikamatis Sunnah (JIBWIS) in Digare, Abubakar Muhammad Digare, during a late-night attack in Bauchi State, escalating concerns over rising insecurity in Northern Nigeria.
The attack reportedly occurred on Saturday night in Digare town, Alkaleri Local Government Area, where gunmen stormed the cleric’s residence and forcibly whisked away several women, including his wives and daughters, alongside other residents.
Eyewitnesses said the assailants invaded the community under the cover of darkness, firing sporadically to scare residents before targeting the imam’s home. Villagers fled into nearby bushes while others locked themselves indoors as the attackers operated unchallenged for several minutes. The abducted victims were taken to an undisclosed location, and as of the time of filing this report, the exact number of those kidnapped has not been officially confirmed.
READ ALSO:
- Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections
- Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
- MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
Residents described the incident as one of the most brazen attacks in recent months, noting that targeting the family of a respected religious leader such as Abubakar Muhammad Digare has deepened fear within the community. Local sources said the attack has triggered panic across surrounding villages in Alkaleri LGA, with many residents calling for increased security presence to prevent further raids.
The Bauchi State Police Command has yet to release a detailed statement on the incident. However, community leaders are urging security agencies to intensify search-and-rescue efforts and strengthen patrol operations in vulnerable rural communities. Security analysts warn that repeated bandit attacks in Bauchi and neighbouring states highlight persistent gaps in intelligence gathering and rapid response coordination, stressing that kidnapping for ransom remains a major driver of armed violence in parts of northern Nigeria.
The latest abduction adds to a growing list of kidnapping incidents in Northern Nigeria, where armed groups frequently target rural settlements, religious leaders, women and children. Observers say the targeting of high-profile community figures could further destabilise affected areas if urgent measures are not implemented to restore confidence and deter future attacks. Authorities are expected to provide further updates as investigations continue.
Bandits Abduct Wives, Daughters of JIBWIS Chief Imam, Others in Bauchi
metro
MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has firmly rejected allegations linking the association to terrorism, banditry, and mass violence, describing such claims as unfounded, misleading, and damaging to its reputation and the livelihoods of millions of pastoralists across Nigeria.
The National President of MACBAN, Baba Othman Ngelzarma, stated this on Sunday while addressing journalists in reaction to ongoing discussions surrounding a proposed United States legislation, H.R. 7457, currently before the United States Congress.
Ngelzarma said while MACBAN respects the sovereign right of the United States to debate issues relating to religious freedom and human rights, the association is deeply concerned about narratives that allegedly portray it as a violent or extremist organisation. He warned that such portrayals risk misinforming international policymakers and undermining peace-building efforts within Nigeria.
He stressed that MACBAN is a legally registered association, established in 1986 under Nigerian law, and has operated openly for decades with elected leadership structures at national, state, and local levels. According to him, the association is formally recognised by federal and state governments as a critical stakeholder in livestock development, pastoral welfare, and farmer–herder conflict mediation.
READ ALSO:
- Customs Seize Cocaine Worth N1bn Along Nigeria–Benin Corridor
- Security Row: El-Rufai Accuses Ribadu of Procuring Dangerous Chemicals
- Singer Market Fire: Tinubu Sends Shettima, FG Delegation to Kano
The association cautioned that any attempt to blacklist, stigmatise, or criminalise legitimate organisations could lead to serious consequences, including economic losses, disruption of livestock trade, and further marginalisation of pastoral communities, which play a vital role in Nigeria’s food security and rural economy.
Reiterating its mandate, MACBAN said its activities are focused on improving pastoral welfare, promoting modern and sustainable livestock practices, fostering peaceful coexistence with host communities, and supporting security agencies through dialogue and early-warning mechanisms aimed at preventing conflict.
Ngelzarma emphasised that MACBAN has never supported banditry, terrorism, kidnapping, or cattle rustling, noting that no court in Nigeria or abroad has ever indicted the association for involvement in terrorist activities. He argued that it is unjust and legally flawed to attribute the criminal actions of individuals to a registered national organisation.
The association also highlighted that pastoralists themselves have been major victims of insecurity, citing repeated attacks by armed groups and bandits that have resulted in displacement, cattle rustling, and loss of lives. It disclosed that at least eight MACBAN state leaders were killed in 2025 by criminal elements in different parts of the country.
According to MACBAN, the association has consistently collaborated with security agencies through intelligence sharing, community mediation, and participation in technical committees on grazing reforms, ranching initiatives, and livestock identification systems, including efforts to curb cattle rustling and illegal arms movement.
The group called on the Senate Committees on Foreign Affairs and National Security to adopt a formal resolution clarifying Nigeria’s legislative position on what it described as misleading international narratives. It also urged the National Assembly to engage U.S. lawmakers through parliamentary diplomacy to ensure accurate representation of Nigeria’s internal dynamics.
MACBAN further appealed to the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Office of the National Security Adviser to initiate diplomatic engagement with American authorities, with a view to presenting documented evidence of its lawful status and compliance with Nigerian laws.
While cautioning against generalised profiling of communities, the association urged both local and international media to avoid sensational reporting that could inflame tensions and deepen mistrust between communities.
Reaffirming its commitment to national unity, peace, and lawful engagement, MACBAN maintained that accountability must remain evidence-based, warning that international actions founded on misinformation could undermine legitimate Nigerian institutions and complicate efforts to address insecurity.
MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
-
Education19 hours agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News10 hours agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro3 days agoLagos Police Launch Manhunt for Suspect in Brutal Ajah Murder
-
News3 days agoAso Rock Goes Solar as Tinubu Orders National Grid Disconnection
-
metro2 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro2 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
News21 hours agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
Sports3 days agoLookman Shines as Atlético Madrid Hammer Barcelona 4-0


