Police dismiss report of Boko Haram arrests in Lagos - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Police dismiss report of Boko Haram arrests in Lagos

Published

on

Lagos Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Benjamin Hundeyin

Police dismiss report of Boko Haram arrests in Lagos

The Lagos State Police Command has denied a report that Boko Haram suspects have been apprehended in the state.

On Thursday, Kumar Sanda, the commander of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) in Lagos, was reported to have said thousands of suspected Boko Haram members had been arrested in the city.

“If I should mention the number of Boko Haram members we have arrested in Lagos State, people will not believe it. But we have arrested thousands,” he was quoted as saying.

In a statement on Friday, Benjamin Hundeyin, the state’s police spokesperson, said following the publication, Olohundare Jimoh, police commissioner, directed an immediate investigation of the claim.

Hundeyin said the investigation revealed that no Boko Haram member was seen or arrested anywhere in the state.

READ ALSO:

“Furthermore, in the trailer park communities mentioned, the leaders, operators and drivers in the indicated places in the report clarified to the police that there were no such elements of Boko Haram seen or arrested in those localities,” the statement reads.

“The command, notwithstanding, deployed surveillance police detectives, the Lagos State Police Intelligence Department (SID), and other formations of the Force to the mentioned places for the purpose of verification of the claim.

“No one confirmed the presence or arrest of such group members as reported in the write-up throughout Lagos State.

“Therefore, the report in its entirety is false, malicious, and ill-intended to cause fear and apprehension in the minds of the public.”

Hundeyin said the report was a figment of the imagination of the writer, urging residents to go about their normal businesses without fear.

“Members of the public are encouraged by the Commissioner of Police to go about their duties and other means of livelihood without fear or apprehension,” he said.

Police dismiss report of Boko Haram arrests in Lagos

metro

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf
Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.

Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.

READ ALSO:

The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.

Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.

The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.

The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Continue Reading

metro

Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers

Published

on

Asari Dokubo
Asari Dokubo

Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers

Port Harcourt — Former Niger Delta militant leader and activist, Asari Dokubo, has cautioned Igbo residents and groups against any attempts to instigate a religious crisis in Rivers State, warning that such actions could destabilise the state.

In a video widely shared on social media, Dokubo urged individuals and organisations to refrain from acts capable of triggering violence, emphasising that Rivers State must not become a theatre of religious conflict. He reportedly warned of serious consequences for anyone attempting to foment unrest in the oil-rich region.

READ ALSO:

Known for his outspoken views on regional and political issues, Dokubo highlighted the importance of peace and stability in Rivers State, which is economically significant due to its oil and gas resources.

His comments have sparked mixed reactions. The apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, dismissed claims that Igbo groups were planning any form of religious war, affirming that Igbo residents in Rivers State are law-abiding and committed to peaceful coexistence.

Security authorities in the state are reportedly monitoring the situation closely, amid concerns that inflammatory rhetoric could heighten tensions in a region with a diverse ethnic and religious composition.

Observers stress that dialogue, mutual respect, and proactive conflict prevention are crucial to maintain stability in Rivers State, particularly given its history of political and communal tensions.

As of the filing of this report, the Rivers State Government has not issued an official statement regarding Dokubo’s comments.

Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers

Continue Reading

metro

Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan

Published

on

Bauch State Governor, Bala Mohammed
Bauch State Governor, Bala Mohammed

Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan

The Bauchi State Government has announced a reduction in working hours for civil servants during the holy month of Ramadan, aimed at accommodating fasting schedules and religious observances.

A statement issued by the State Head of Service, Dr. Yusuf Gidado, directed all civil service offices to adjust their working hours from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm throughout the month. The adjustment applies to both permanent and contract staff across all ministries, departments, and agencies.

Dr. Gidado urged civil servants to use the shortened working hours productively, maintain high performance, and continue delivering efficient public services to residents.

READ ALSO:

The government noted that the decision was part of its commitment to supporting employees during religious observances, ensuring they can fulfill both spiritual and professional duties without undue strain.

Officials also reminded staff to adhere to workplace regulations and maintain discipline despite the adjusted schedule, emphasizing that public service continuity remains a priority.

This move follows similar initiatives by other states in Nigeria that seek to balance work efficiency with religious observance during Ramadan.

Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending