Sports
Popular football star shot dead by gunmen

Popular football star shot dead by gunmen
A member of Panama’s national football team was shot and killed in the city of Colón.
Gilberto Hernández, 26, was one of several people who had gathered in a downtown building when gunmen began firing at them.
Hernández was killed and seven other persons were hurt in the attack.
The football player, who also played for Club Atlético Independiente, was shot, but it is now unknown whether he was the intended target or the shooting’s motivation.
In recent months, Colón has seen an increase in homicides as two rival gangs battle for control of lucrative drug smuggling routes.
So far, more than 50 people have been killed in Colón, a city of 40,000 inhabitants, so far this year.
READ ALSO:
-
Inexperienced boy bought private jet, Dubai, London houses under Buhari — Sanusi
-
Tinubu not worried about tribunal judgment – Ajuri Ngelale
-
Road projects: FG demands 30-year durability agreement from contractors
The port city, on the north entrance to the Panama canal, is a transit point for cocaine smuggled from South America through Panama to Europe.
The shooting happened on Sunday afternoon local time.
Two gunmen forced a taxi driver to take them to a building in the city’s Barrio Norte neighbourhood and opened fire on the group gathered there.
The gunmen fled the scene, but a suspect has since been arrested in a flat nearby.
Gilberto Hernández had made his debut in the Panamanian national side in March this year in a match against Guatemala.
The player’s father urged the youth of Colón “to stop the violence” and called on the authorities to “launch projects to save the youth from this violence”.
He also asked the killers to hand themselves in: “Don’t cause more harm.”
Panama’s football federation and Gilberto Hernández’s club expressed their condolences to his family.
Popular football star shot dead by gunmen
Sports
Liverpool leap closer to title with narrow Everton win

Liverpool leap closer to title with narrow Everton win
Liverpool claimed bragging rights on Merseyside with victory over rivals Everton and edged closer to lifting the Premier League title.
Arne Slot’s men require only 13 points from a possible 24 available to guarantee a deserved and record-equalling 20th top-flight triumph.
The Reds were being frustrated by Everton’s backline sitting deep, but claimed the three points courtesy of a moment of magic from Diogo Jota.
The Portuguese forward was on the periphery of the game but collected Luis Diaz’s cute backheel before showcasing dancing feet by jinking past challenges and slotting home.
Before the deadlock was broken, a moment of controversy was the main talking point with Everton defender James Tarkowski incredibly fortunate to stay on the pitch.
READ ALSO:
- Deadly strikes in Gaza as Netanyahu says Israel will seize new military corridor
- Wike congratulates Okpebholo on tribunal victory
- FG orders immediate reopening of independence bridge in Lagos to ease traffic
Tarkowski received only a yellow card early on when he won the ball with a sliding challenge but caught Alexis Mac Allister on the knee with his studs with the follow-through.
The video assistant referee (VAR) decided not to upgrade the tackle to a red card and Dominik Szoboszlai curled the resulting free-kick narrowly wide, while the in-form Mohamed Salah headed straight at Jordan Pickford at the back post.
Beto had the Liverpool backline rattled and saw a goal ruled out for offside after outmuscling Virgil van Dijk.
The striker got the better of the Reds captain again, but this time could only hit the post when one-on-one with Caoimhin Kelleher.
Liverpool and their supporters looked to up the ante in the second period and Ryan Gravenberch’s stinging drive from range was pushed away by Pickford, but Jota’s 56th-minute strike made the difference.
Liverpool leap closer to title with narrow Everton win
Sports
Ancelotti says mission accomplished as Real Madrid reach cup final

Ancelotti says mission accomplished as Real Madrid reach cup final
It was mission accomplished, said Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti after his side fought back from two-goals behind to snatch a rip-roaring 4-4 draw on Tuesday for a 5-4 aggregate win that put them through against Real Sociedad to the Copa del Rey final.
Ancelotti brushed off questions about a sub-par performance by Real Madrid and praised his players’ effort in what he considered a highly entertaining encounter.
“We have achieved our goal today which was to reach the final and there is not much time to think about it,” Ancelotti told a press conference.
“It was an entertaining game with some mistakes and a lot of good things. It was fun and we are in the final.
READ ALSO:
- Rainstorm destroys schools, mosques, others in Kwara community
- Rivers police arrest General Overseer for alleged homosexuality
- CBN posts $23bn net FX reserve, strongest in three years
“I never saw ourselves out of it because anything can happen at the Bernabeu. When we have to come from behind, we never give up. We never give up, especially at home, with the fans by our side.”
Ancelotti said David Alaba was not to blame after he deflected two balls into his own goal, calling it “bad luck” by the Austrian defender, but urged his defence to play with better focus moving forward.
“It’s not good to concede four goals in a game,” Ancelotti said.
“Right now we are a team that has a lot of effectiveness up-front, but little balance.
“However, we can’t ignore what we did in attack, scoring four goals against Real is not that easy. I think we are doing quite well.”
Real Madrid, who have won the Spanish Cup only once in over a decade, will play either Barcelona or Atletico Madrid in a mouth-watering final in Seville next month.
Atletico fought back to hold Barca to a thrilling 4-4 draw ahead of Wednesday’s second-leg in Madrid.
Ancelotti says mission accomplished as Real Madrid reach cup final
Sports
Saka’s stunning return powers Arsenal to victory over Fulham

Saka’s stunning return powers Arsenal to victory over Fulham
Arsenal secured a crucial 2-1 victory over Fulham at the Emirates Stadium, with Bukayo Saka making a triumphant return from injury to score the decisive goal.
The match saw the Gunners dominate possession, but it was Fulham who came closest to scoring in the opening stages.
Arsenal struggled to break down their resolute defence early on, with Gabriel Martinelli having a goal ruled out for offside and several opportunities narrowly missed.
In the 37th minute, Mikel Merino gave Arsenal the lead, collecting a pass from Ethan Nwaneri to strike a low shot past Fulham goalkeeper Bernd Leno. The first half ended with Fulham unable to find an equaliser, despite a couple of dangerous moments.
READ ALSO:
- Nigerian Army opens online registration for new intakes
- Woman arrested for trafficking daughter for N50,000 to Mauritania
- Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
The turning point came just after the hour mark when Arsenal doubled their advantage. Gabriel Martinelli delivered a perfect cross, and Saka, making his return to action, rose to head home a brilliant goal. The Gunners were cruising with a comfortable 2-0 lead.
However, Fulham responded on added time when Rodrigo Muniz capitalised on a deflected shot to pull one back for the visitors. Despite the late pressure, Arsenal’s defence held firm, and the match finished 2-1 in their favour.
Saka’s return was a key moment, not only for the goal but also for the confidence he brought to the team, sealing another vital three points for Arsenal in their quest for the title.
Saka’s stunning return powers Arsenal to victory over Fulham
-
metro2 days ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
metro1 day ago
Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport
-
International1 day ago
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown
-
metro1 day ago
Updated: Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 for Eid
-
metro2 days ago
Edo Gov Okpebholo wins round one as tribunal upholds his election
-
metro2 days ago
Police hunt for last suspect in LASU graduate killing
-
Business1 day ago
More heads to roll in NNPCL, subsidiaries as Ojulari assumes office
-
metro1 day ago
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail