Cristiano Ronaldo has made in history, becoming the all-time top goal scorer in football after scoring for his 760th goal on Wednesday in a match he featured for Juventus against Napoli, according to Daily Mail report.
The 35-year-old was expected to reach the stunning landmark against Inter on Sunday after edging closer to history by scoring against Sassuolo last week to level to record.
But the legendary Juve forward waited for the big occasion in the Italian Super Cup and duly delivered against Gennaro Gattuso’s men as he found the back of the net – sending his special career to new incredible heights.
That effort moved him above Josef Bican – with the Austrian-Czech striker scoring 759 goals between 1931 and 1955.
Ronaldo now has 760 goals in his storied career and is only bound to extend that record as he continues to shine at the summit of world football.
Only his eternal rival Lionel Messi looks capable of surpassing his record. The Barcelona and Argentina superstar has 715 career goals for club and country but has played just under 150 games fewer so far and, being two years Ronaldo’s junior, has time on his side.
However, for now this record belongs to Ronaldo. The forward, who turns 36 on February 5, has written his name in the record books across a career that has seen him excel at Sporting Lisbon, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and Portugal.
On January 3, Ronaldo moved himself above three-time Brazil World Cup winner Pele (757 career goals) into second on this list following a brace in a 4-1 Serie A home win over Udinese.
That placed him on 758 career goals and he equalled Bican’s feat with a injury-time right-footed strike during Juve’s 3-1 home win over 10-man Sassuolo in Serie A on January 10.
When you breakdown Ronaldo’s goal scoring numbers – they emphasise how complete a footballer he truly is.
His jaw-dropping tally isn’t just stacked by his favoured right foot. He scores six of every 10 goals with this body part, but almost two in 10 with his left and two in 10 with his head.
One goal came off his elbow, against Athletic Bilbao in the 2014-15 season, and another rebounded in off his groin for Manchester United against West Ham in 2008.
Unsurprisingly the majority of his goals have come from open play – 569 of them, a stonking 75 per cent.
Penalties account for 18 per cent of his goals, while he has scored 57 from free-kicks.
And home comforts don’t skew the numbers either. Only 54.80 per cent of his goals have been scored in home fixtures, while 40 per cent have come on the road.
Neutral grounds – international tournaments, cup finals – have accounted for 45 goals, a touch over five per cent.
But the secrets behind Ronaldo’s remarkable record mean that, even well into his mid-thirties, he could feasibly still have another five years in him at the top level.
He has shown little sign of slowing down; instead he has refined his game from being a dynamic all-round superstar into the ultimate goal machine.
Ronaldo will be hoping to carry on his record-breaking form on Sunday evening next at Serie A title rivals Inter Milan.
Apologise to Nigerians for Tinubu Chatham House embarrassment, PDP tells APC
The Peoples Democratic Party has taken a swipe at the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, over his performance at the Chatham House in London on Monday, where he delivered a lecture but delegated some members of his team to respond to questions from the audience.
The PDP’s Atiku/Okowa Presidential Campaign Organization, which described the outing as disgraceful, asked the Tinubu’s handers to apologise to the nation and stop embarrassing their principal.
It said Tinubu failed to perform the simplest of tasks required of a person desiring to lead the world’s largest black nation.
Spokesperson for the Atiku-Okowa presidential campaign group, Kola Ologbondiyan, said this in Abuja, on Monday.
He said, “Nigerians including supporters of the APC Presidential Candidate were thoroughly embarrassed to watch Asiwaju Tinubu who earlier showboated with a scripted speech went blank on the world stage in tragic display of emptiness and inability to personally address questions that were put to him on economy, security and other challenges facing our nation.
“Our Campaign finds it very appalling that a candidate aspiring to be the President of a nation as complex as Nigeria exhibited an embarrassing inability to coordinate his own thought process to the extent that he could not personally think through issues and address them but had to direct questions put to him including those on his health and policies to others to answer.“
Ologbondiyan further said, “Asiwaju Tinubu has confirmed to Nigerians and the world that he has no business contesting the 2023 presidential election; that he is grossly incompetent, completely unprepared for leadership and intends to transfer the onerous task of leading our nation to proxies and a cabal that did not seek votes from Nigerians.
“Of course, Nigerians cannot afford to have a President who cannot take responsibility to lead but intend to shift burden to others apparently to find scapegoats to blame for his inevitable failures.
“The APC presidential candidate ended up becoming a butt of international joke as he could not provide any lead on the critical issues of economy, security, youth development and foreign policies, despite notes passed to him at the event by his handlers.”
He advised Tinubu’s handlers to stop embarrassing him by always pushing him to make public appearances, even when they were aware of his incompetence.
Ologbondiyan said, “What Nigerians expect is for the Tinubu/Shettima Presidential Campaign to apologize to the nation and stop embarrassing their principal with poorly scripted appearances.
“Now that the APC Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Tinubu has confirmed his unpreparedness and lack of capacity on the world state, we urge that he should immediately collapse his campaign, stop wasting resources, go home and rest.”
Alake defends Tinubu delegating people to speak for him during debates, interviews
Director of Strategic Communication of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council, Dele Aleke, has defended APC presidential election, Bola Tinubu, for choosing to call on members of his delegates to public debates, press conferences and interview sessions to respond to issues raised by people at such events.
Tinubu at a public held Monday at the lecture Chatham House, London, delegated some members of the party to respond to questions posed to him.
He was in Chatham House to speak to Nigerians in the Diaspora on why he should be elected in 2023.And after his presentation, some members of the audience asked him questions on insecurity, oil theft, education and economy and how he planned to address the issues if elected Nigeria’s president, he passed on the responsibility of answering the questions to others in his team.
Alake, who was featured on Channels Television Politics Today, Monday night, explained why Tinubu asked his team members to answer questions, saying it that was one of the attributes of a good leader.
He said, “Delegating people in his team to answer questions was one of the innovations of Tinubu.
“Don’t forget that one of his main strengths has been identifying talents and head-hunting of the highest order.
“Asiwaju is a team builder and that is what he has been showcasing. Again, Asiwaju has shown that he is a leader.
“So, those who fault that style of leadership are ignorant of the nuance and dynamics of leadership. Leadership is not a one-man show.”
Alake noted that some of his opponents were trying to copy Tinubu, but said they can’t get it because they don’t have a team like Tinubu.
“Asiwaju spoke directly for 28 minutes without anyone aiding him. When it was question and answer time, he displayed the dexterity of his team, which is one of the hallmarks of successful leadership.”
Alake, who disclosed that in due course, Tinubu would engage some media houses, however, maintained that the party’s candidate would not succumb to any form of blackmail.
He said, “Tinubu will be engaging with some journalists with time. But our candidate will not subject himself to any blackmail by a section of the media, which arrogates to itself self-importance.”
He also said, “The engagement of our presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has been inviting, reinvigorating, superlative and reassuring.
“Tinubu has disproved all the naysayers. Asiwaju has been applauded and commended by all and sundry. All the reviews we have got so far are positive. He was flawless and faultless in his delivery.”
We’ll recover semester, session lost to strike – ASUU
The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, Alex-Ekwueme Federal University Ndufu-Alike Ikwo, AEFUNAI, Ebonyi chapter, says it will cover grounds lost to the eight-month called off in October.
The union, therefore, appealed to stakeholders to prevail upon the Federal Government to “avoid engaging in any activity that could plunge the nation’s public university system into another needless strike”.
The lecturers’ body disclosed this during a peaceful protest on Wednesday.
Dr Egwu Ogugua, the ASUU-AEFUNAI chairperson, while addressing newsmen, said that the lecturers were duty-bound to complete teaching for the backlog of academic semesters and sessions lost due to the strike.
He alleged that government, instead of working to find a permanent solution to the crises in the universities, had resorted to the implementation of policies that would worsen the situation.
- Aisha Buhari to testify against student over ‘poor people money’ tweet
- Former Minister blasts Aisha Buhari for assaulting student, calls on IGP to invite her for questioning
- Ronaldo Misses Portugal Training Ahead Of South Korea Clash
He recalled that the ASUU strike was suspended based on the intervention of Femi Gbajabiamila, Speaker of the House of Representatives, and the court order.
“Ladies and gentlemen, recall that on October 14, ASUU decided to suspend their eight-month strike following the intervention of Femi Gbajabiamila and the Appeal Court ruling ordering us to go back to work.
“It is important for the world to know that since the said intervention and the court order, the government has not paid lecturers for eight months and decided to casualise intellectuals by prorating our October salaries.
“We, the members of ASUU, AEFUNAI branch, therefore, reject in totality, this alien casualisation of intellectuals, demeaning the centrality of the ivory towers in Nigeria and insulting the sensibilities of the intelligentsia.
“Yes, we were in the trenches for eight months – February 14 to October 14, now that we are back, we are duty-bound to complete teaching for the backlog of academic semesters and sessions lost due to the strike.
“The word ‘lost’ does not entail a permanent loss because most officials of the federal government have consistently believed in the alternative truth that the lost semesters have been lost permanently.
“In AEFUNAI, following the suspension of the strike action, we have almost concluded the remaining first semester of the 2021/2022 academic session.
“We are under enormous pressure to complete the whole session before April and commence the 2022/2023 session.
“We use this opportunity to appeal to well-meaning Nigerians and various stakeholders – religious leaders, traditional rulers, parents, students – to prevail on government not to further desecrate the sanctity of the future of our children,” Mr Ogugua said.
He accused the federal government of not placing the education sector among high-priority areas.
He lamented that government’s decision to place university lecturers on pro-rata would deepen the crisis in the entire public university system.
“It is worthy to note that the recently released November salaries have recorded a high degree of deductions.
“As a people, we shall not keep quiet and we shall continue to scream like the voice in the wilderness for the survival of the public university system in Nigeria.
“If the body of intellects is shabbily treated, then we can sing to the rooftops that government has no regard for education,” he stated.
EFCC to conclude auction of 435 forfeited vehicles Thursday
Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia returns as high court judge four years after her dismissal
Court throws out suit challenging Tinubu’s candidacy
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
metro5 days ago
Gunmen attack mosque in Delta, abduct Imam, 11 worshippers injured
Sports7 days ago
Mexico exit World Cup despite beating Saudi Arabia
Sports7 days ago
Argentina beat Poland 2-0, advance to last 16
metro7 days ago
Former Minister blasts Aisha Buhari for assaulting student, calls on IGP to invite her for questioning
Politics5 days ago
Why Oyetola, others took away official vehicles – Osun APC
Business5 days ago
Old N200, N500, N1,000 notes will be in use till Jan 31- CBN
Politics2 days ago
Tinubu: Private sector should drive economy; speaks on power, insecurity, electoral violence, his identity
Entertainment5 days ago
I may accept if Ooni proposes marriage — Peju Johnson