Rwanda’s President Kagame announces fourth term bid – Newstrends
Connect with us

Africa

Rwanda’s President Kagame announces fourth term bid

Published

on

Rwanda’s president Paul Kagame

Rwanda’s President Kagame announces fourth term bid

Rwanda’s president Paul Kagame declared he will run for a fourth term next year, saying that “what the West thinks is not my problem,” after the United States and others criticized the earlier lifting of term limits to extend his rule.

Kagame made the announcement in an interview with the French-language publication Jeune Afrique published Tuesday.

The 65-year-old Kagame has been president since 2000 and was declared the winner of the previous election in 2017 with more than 98% of the vote. He has been the de facto leader since Rwanda’s 1994 genocide.

He is one of a number of African leaders who have prolonged their rule by pursuing changes to term limits. In 2015, Rwandans in a referendum voted to lift a two-term limit. Kagame could stay in power until 2034 if he wins a five-year term next year and then another.

When asked what he thought the West would think of him running again, he replied, “I’m sorry for the West, but what the West thinks is not my problem.”

Kagame was re-elected as chair of the ruling Rwandan Patriotic Front party earlier this year for another five-year term. The U.S.-based watchdog Freedom House described Rwanda as “not free” in its latest report and said the party has been “banning and repressing any opposition group that could mount a serious challenge to its leadership.”

Political analyst Gonzaga Muganwa, a former executive secretary of the Rwanda Journalists Association, said Kagame’s control over the party is total and that “All the legal political parties in the country are subservient to his authority.”

READ ALSO:

“Rwandans expect him to be around until at least 2034 unless a major upheaval happens. In the leadup to the polls, his biggest challenge is managing the cost-of-living crisis as food inflation is wiping away any rise in incomes” since the COVID-19 pandemic, Muganwa said.

Kagame and his government have received praise for stabilizing the country and developing public health and the economy since the genocide in which more than 800,000 people were killed. But human rights groups and other critics have long accused the government of harshly targeting opponents, including with extrajudicial killings even far outside the country’s borders.

The government has rejected such allegations. But earlier this year, under diplomatic pressure, Rwanda released Paul Rusesabagina, who had inspired the film “Hotel Rwanda,” after tricking onto a plane to the country and convicted of terror offenses in a widely criticized trial.

The other candidate who has declared he will run for president is lawmaker Frank Habineza with the Green Democratic party, who received 0.45% of the votes in 2017.

Habineza told The Associated Press his party was not surprised by Kagame’s announcement and will continue to fight for democracy.

“As we speak now, there is a high level of poverty and people have no food and youth have no jobs. This is what bothers Rwandans,” he said.

Some Kagame supporters believe he needs more time. William Harerimana, a 53-year-old businessman, said “we need to be patient a bit more and under him, the country will register more economic growth and benefit all Rwandans.”

Rwanda’s President Kagame announces fourth term bid

AP

Africa

Okada rider allegedly stabbed to death by wife over money

Published

on

Jeff and Geoffrey Oumaa

Okada rider allegedly stabbed to death by wife over money

A Bodaboda operator identified as Geoffrey Ouma, was allegedly stabbed to death by his wife in their home in Ongata Rongai town, Kenya after he returned with less money than usual.

Witnesses reported that the man fondly called Jeff, had just come back from work, having earned significantly less due to heavy rainfall affecting business.

His wife confronted him about the household items that they lacked and demanded that he provided the money to get them. When he was unable to do so, an argument ensued between them.

READ ALSO:

In a fit of rage, she rushed to the kitchen to grab a knife.

Sensing the imminent danger, the Bodaboda operator attempted to flee but slipped and fell on the floor.

The wife then stabbed him in the chest, ending his life instantly.

By the time neighbors arrived, it was too late; he was already dead.

The two have been married for around 5 years and have a child.

It was gathered that the Ongata Rongai Police have arrested the woman.

Okada rider allegedly stabbed to death by wife over money

Continue Reading

Africa

W’African juntas impose levy on imported goods from ECOWAS nations

Published

on

W’African juntas impose levy on imported goods from ECOWAS nations

West African neighbours Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger have announced a new 0.5% levy on imported goods as they seek to fund a new three-state union after leaving the larger regional economic bloc, they said in a statement.

The Alliance of Sahel States began in 2023 as a security pact between the military rulers of the three countries, who all took power in coups in recent years.

It has since grown into an aspiring economic union with plans for biometric passports and closer economic and military ties.

The levy was agreed on Friday and will take effect immediately.

It will affect all goods imported from outside the three countries, but will not include humanitarian aid, the statement said.

It will “finance the activities” of the bloc, it said, without giving details.

READ ALSO:

The move ends free trade across West Africa, whose states have for decades fallen under the umbrella of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), and highlights the rift between the three states that border the Sahara Desert and influential democracies like Nigeria and Ghana to the south.

The juntas of the three countries announced plans to leave ECOWAS last year, accusing the bloc of failing to assist in their fight against Islamist insurgents and ending insecurity.

ECOWAS had imposed economic, political and financial sanctions on the three in a bid to force them to return to constitutional order, to little effect.

Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger are some of the poorest countries in the world and have been overrun by an armed Islamist insurgency over the past decade.

The violence, committed by groups linked to al Qaeda and Islamic State, has killed thousands, forced millions to flee, and eroded faith in the democratically-elected governments who initially struggled to contain it.

W’African juntas impose levy on imported goods from ECOWAS nations

Continue Reading

Africa

Niger coup leader sworn in as president for five years

Published

on

Niger’s military ruler Gen Abdourahamane Tchiani

Niger coup leader sworn in as president for five years

Niger’s military ruler Gen Abdourahamane Tchiani has been sworn in as the country’s president for a transitional period of five years.

Tchiani has led the country since 2023, after he deposed Niger’s elected president, Mohamed Bazoum.

On Wednesday, Tchiani took the presidential office under a new charter that replaces the West African country’s constitution.

He was also promoted to the highest military rank of army general in the country and signed a decree ordering that all political parties be dissolved.

During the ceremony in Niamey, Tchiani said of his new military rank, “I receive this distinction with great humility… I will strive to live up to the trust placed in me.”

The transition to democratic government is consistent with the recommendations of a commission formed following national deliberations.

The new charter states that this five-year timeframe is “flexible” based on the country’s security position.

READ ALSO:

Niger has been plagued by Islamist attacks for years, which was one of the reasons junta officials staged their coup.

The military takeover came after a number of others in the region; adjacent Mali, Guinea, and Burkina Faso are also ruled by dictatorships.

All four countries have split ties with erstwhile colonial power France, forming new alliances with Russia.

And all save Guinea have pulled out of ECOWAS, the West African regional group.

Niger’s relations with ECOWAS broke down when the junta demanded a three-year transition period to democratic governance directly after the coup.

Ecowas labelled this plot a “provocation” and vowed to interfere with force before eventually backing down.

Gen Tchiani’s regime is prosecuting former President Bazoum on charges of high treason and damaging national security.

Bazoum and his wife remain in the presidential palace, despite the fact that his son was granted provisional freedom in January.

According to state-run news agency ANP, Gen Tchiani stated that Niger’s new charter adheres to traditional constitutions while also implementing “unprecedented measures to protect our natural resources so that Nigeriens truly benefit from the exploitation of their wealth.”

Niger coup leader sworn in as president for five years

Continue Reading

Trending