S'African soldier convicted of deliberately infecting girlfriend with HIV – Newstrends
Connect with us

Africa

S’African soldier convicted of deliberately infecting girlfriend with HIV

Published

on

Antoinette Ndishishi and Leon Santos Conga

S’African soldier convicted of deliberately infecting girlfriend with HIV

A former member of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has been convicted of attempted murder and rape after intentionally infecting his girlfriend with HIV.

Leon Santos Conga appeared before the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, June 11, 2024, where he was found guilty of rape and attempted murder.

The victim, Antoinette Ndishishi, was represented by AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit.

AfriForum said it forced the SANDF to release Conga’s medical records, which revealed that he had been aware of his HIV status since 2007.

According to AfriForum, the SANDF initially refused to release the records that led the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to withdraw the case twice.

READ ALSO:

Conga became romantically involved with the victim, who is also in the SANDF, in 2016.

The victim said she only consented to having sex with Conga on the understanding that he was HIV-negative.

She said they had discussed the issue before but Conga never disclosed his status.

She further added that if Conga had disclosed his status, she would not have agreed to have sex.

The court also found the victim to be a credible witness.

South African soldier convicted of attempted murder and rape after deliberately infecting his girlfriend with HIV

Antoinette Ndishishi and Leon Santos Conga

“Despite her testifying after at least four years since the incident took place, she gave a clear and a detailed account of what transpired. She didn’t contradict herself on any aspect,’’ said the Magistrate.

Meanwhile, advocate Gerrie Nel, AfriForum’s head of the Private prosecution unit said the judgment was a significant development of the law because it has provided a better understanding of the meaning of consent.

“We share the victim’s relief over the verdict, but we also believe she has been vindicated. When she approached our office, she was receiving no assistance, not even from the SANDF. The private prosecution unit will continue to support women who fight their way through the justice system in order for their voices to be heard,” Nel said.

Matter has been postponed to August, 7, 2024 for sentencing argument.

S’African soldier convicted of deliberately infecting girlfriend with HIV

Africa

Kenya: Court stops police ban on Gen Z protests

Published

on

Kenya: Court stops police ban on Gen Z protests

The High Court of Kenya has suspended the National Police Service’s (IG) ban on protests by Kenyan youths (Gen Z). The ban was issued by IG Douglas Kanja.

Justice Bahati Mwamuye of the Milimani High Court declared the application challenging the ban urgent. The case will be prioritized.

“Pending the hearing on 18/07/2024, a conservatory order suspending the National Police Service’s ban on demonstrations in Nairobi Central Business and nearby areas is issued,” the ruling stated.

The judge restrained the acting IG from enforcing his decision dated 17th July 2024. This order also applies to all other personnel in the National Police Service (NPS) or those supporting them.

This suspension remains until the case is heard on July 18. The judge also directed IG Kanja to communicate these orders to all NPS officers.

READ ALSO:

“The Acting Inspector-General of Police must circulate official communication of these orders to all NPS officers and the general public by the end of 19/07/2024. Evidence of this must be filed in court,” the ruling added.

This order followed a petition by Katiba Institute against the State Law Office after the NPS banned planned protests in Nairobi CBD and surrounding areas.

Acting IG Douglas Kanja cited security concerns and previous disruptions as the reasons for the ban. He mentioned that since the protests began in June, there have been significant losses, injuries, and damage to property and businesses.

“Criminals have infiltrated the protesting groups, causing disorder and destruction. For national security, we have credible intelligence that organized criminal groups plan to use these protests for attacks, including looting,” said Kanja.

The acting IG highlighted the lack of leadership within the Gen Z protests, making it hard to enforce safety protocols. Hence, no demonstrations will be allowed in Nairobi CBD and its surroundings until further notice to ensure public safety.

Kenya: Court stops police ban on Gen Z protests

Continue Reading

Africa

Man dresses as woman to catch cheating wife

Published

on

Man dresses as woman to catch cheating wife

In an extreme attempt to catch his wife in the act of infidelity,  a man identified as Wellington Phiri from Chegutu, Zimbabwe resorted to an unusual and elaborate disguise.

Phiri dressed in his wife Prisca Mhuru’s clothes, including her dress, bra, and headscarf, to sneak into the house where he suspected she was with her lover.

Phiri’s plan, however, did not unfold as expected. Upon arriving at the house and knocking on the door, he was confronted by a man identified as Mabhayo, whom Phiri alleges is having an affair with his wife. Recognizing Phiri despite the disguise, Mabhayo locked the door and threatened him with an axe, forcing Phiri to flee the scene.

READ ALSO:

 

“My neighbour has wrecked my marriage. I learned that Mabhayo was accommodating my wife in his bedroom since he is single. I dressed myself like a woman and visited Mabhayo’s house, knowing he had a weakness for women. His dog tried to scare me, but I kept knocking until he attended to me,” Phiri recounted.

Phiri, who has two children with Prisca, believes Mabhayo’s actions have contributed significantly to the breakdown of his marriage. “After noticing it was me, he locked the door while my wife was inside, took an axe, and threatened to kill me, so I ran away,” Phiri told H-Metro.

Man dresses as woman to catch cheating wife

Continue Reading

Africa

Kagame wins fourth term as Rwanda president with 99% votes

Published

on

Rwandan President Paul Kagame

Kagame wins fourth term as Rwanda president with 99% votes

Rwandan President Paul Kagame is preparing on Tuesday for a fourth term in office after winning 99.15 percent of the vote in an election with only two competitors allowed to compete against him.

The results of Monday’s election were never in doubt, with Kagame dominating the small African country with an iron fist as de facto leader and then president for three decades.

The election commission published partial results seven hours after polls closed, showing that Kagame had won 99.15 percent of the vote—more than the 98.79 percent he received in the previous ballot seven years earlier.

According to the results, Democratic Green Party candidate Frank Habineza received only 0.53% of the vote, while independent Philippe Mpayimana received 0.32%.

In an address from the headquarters of his ruling Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF), the 66-year-old praised Rwandans for another five years in power.

READ ALSO:

“The results that have been presented indicate a very high score; these are not just figures; even if it were 100 percent, these are not just numbers,” he said.

“These figures show the trust, and that is what is most important,” he added.

“I am hopeful that together we can solve all problems.”

Full provisional results are due by July 20 and definitive results by July 27.

“In general, the electoral process happened in a safe and transparent atmosphere for Rwandans living abroad and at home,” the National Electoral Commission said in a statement.

With 65 percent of the population under the age of 30, Kagame is the only leader most Rwandans have ever known.

Kagame wins fourth term as Rwanda president with 99% votes

Continue Reading

Trending