Scores killed as two terrorist groups clash in Zamfara - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Scores killed as two terrorist groups clash in Zamfara

Published

on

Zamfara State Commissioner of Police Muhammad Dalijan

Scores killed as two terrorist groups clash in Zamfara

Not less than 16 terrorists including two top commanders have been killed after two groups turned on each other in Maru local government area of Zamfara State in the early hours of Friday.

According to counter-insurgency expert and security analyst in the Lake Chad region, Zagazola Makama, who posted the news on X, the two top terrorists commanders were identified as Alhaji Nagala and Maikube, who have been engaging each other in a supremacy and territorial battle.

Writing on the incident, Makama said:

“In a shocking turn of events, a group of terrorists have killed each other in a brutal clash between rival factions. The incident occurred in a remote Northwestern region of Maru LGA where the terrorists had been causing havoc in the peaceful community.

“According to sources, the clash erupted when one faction attempted to gain control over a strategic territory held by the rival group. The fighting was intense, with both sides suffering heavy losses.

READ ALSO:

“Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that at least 16 terrorists were killed in the clash, including several top bandits commanders, amongst the prominent were Alhaji Nagala and Maikube

“The sources said that the rival factions have been at odds for months, with tensions escalating in recent weeks. The clash is seen as a significant blow to the terrorist organization, which has been weakened by internal divisions and infighting.

“The authorities have welcomed the news, stating that the elimination of terrorists is a positive development in the fight against terrorism.

“The incident is a clear indication that the terrorists are capable of turning on each other, and that their ideology is rooted in violence and destruction.”

16 bandits including 2  top Terrorists Commanders, Alhaji Nagala and Maikube, Killed in Rival Clash in Zamfara

By: Zagazola Makama

In a shocking turn of events, a group of terrorists have killed each other in a brutal clash between rival factions. The incident occurred in a… pic.twitter.com/HTaaqSwBPM

— Zagazola (@ZagazOlaMakama) June 21, 2024

Scores killed as two terrorist groups clash in Zamfara

metro

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Published

on

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu State — At least 18 passengers were killed after a massive ancestral tree, locally known as “Ukwu Akpu Awhum,” collapsed onto a commercial 18‑seater bus on Tuesday, during a heavy thunderstorm and rainfall. The bus was en route from Ukehe in Igbo‑Etiti LGA to Enugu metropolis when the tragedy occurred.

Eyewitnesses said the ancient tree fell without warning, crushing the bus and its occupants instantly. “The rain was very heavy, the wind was strong, and we heard a loud crash,” one resident recalled. All passengers were reportedly killed on impact.

READ ALSO:

Local resident Charly Okeke suggested that recent human activity, including tying red and white cloths around the tree trunk for spiritual purposes, may have weakened the tree, contributing to the collapse. The community has been thrown into mourning, as families grapple with the sudden loss.

Emergency responders and local volunteers rushed to the scene, pulling survivors from the wreckage and transporting the injured to nearby hospitals. Authorities are expected to investigate the cause of the collapse, though no official statement has been released by Enugu State authorities as of now.

The tragedy highlights the dangers posed by aged trees along busy roads, especially during periods of torrential rain and strong winds, and underscores the need for public safety measures and regular assessments of roadside trees to prevent similar disasters.

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Continue Reading

metro

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Published

on

Over 200 Killed as Deadly Landslide Hits Mining Community in Congo

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State — Tragedy struck early Wednesday morning as a carbon monoxide gas leak at an underground mining site claimed the lives of at least 37 miners and injured more than 20 others. The incident occurred around 6:30 a.m., shortly after workers returned from morning prayers.

According to eyewitness Safiyanu Haruna, survivors and local residents discovered miners unconscious inside the poorly ventilated tunnels. “It’s heartbreaking to wake up to the news that 37 miners, who had been struggling to make ends meet, have died,” he said.

READ ALSO:

The injured miners were immediately transported to a hospital in Wase town for treatment. Authorities and emergency response teams had not yet arrived at the site when the leak occurred, highlighting the dangers of underground mining in poorly regulated areas.

Funeral prayers for the deceased are currently being held in the community, with the Local Government Area chairman reported to have attended. Security forces have sealed off the mining site to prevent further casualties and aid ongoing investigations.

The tragedy underscores the critical need for improved mining safety regulations, particularly in remote areas where miners often work under hazardous conditions with limited safety protocols. Experts warn that carbon monoxide exposure in mines can be deadly within minutes if ventilation and gas detection measures are inadequate.

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Continue Reading

metro

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf
Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.

Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.

READ ALSO:

The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.

Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.

The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.

The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending