Nigerian military troop
Seven Soldiers Killed As Lakurawa Terrorists Ambush Troops In Sokoto
No fewer than seven Nigerian soldiers have been killed after suspected Lakurawa terrorists ambushed troops returning from a military operation in Sokoto State, deepening concerns over worsening insecurity in Nigeria’s North-West region.
The deadly attack occurred on Saturday evening at Runji village, located about 10 kilometres from Illela town in Illela Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
According to security and local sources, the troops had earlier carried out a successful raid on a Lakurawa hideout, using three military vehicles during the operation. The offensive reportedly inflicted heavy losses on the armed group before the soldiers began their return journey to base.
However, one of the military vehicles reportedly developed a mechanical fault along the route, forcing some of the soldiers to stop for repairs.
A source familiar with the operation said the terrorists regrouped after the earlier military assault and tracked the troops before launching a revenge attack.
“The attackers came on about 30 motorcycles, with each motorcycle carrying three heavily armed fighters,” the source revealed.
The ambush reportedly triggered a fierce gun battle between the soldiers and the terrorists.
READ ALSO:
Another security source disclosed that some troops had abandoned the faulty vehicle and were trekking back to their base with the help of a civilian guide when the terrorists struck.
“The Lakurawa ambushed them on the way, killing seven soldiers and the civilian assisting them,” the source said.
Residents of Illela said six soldiers were initially confirmed dead at the scene, while the corpse of another soldier was later discovered in a nearby bush during a follow-up search.
“We saw seven corpses altogether after the incident. Another body was discovered the following day,” a resident told reporters anonymously due to security concerns.
Security officials confirmed that the bodies of the slain soldiers had been evacuated to Sokoto metropolis, while reports indicated that a senior military officer, believed to be a lieutenant, was among those killed.
The spokesperson of the Sokoto State Police Command, DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, and the state government’s Special Adviser on Security Matters, Col. Ahmed Usman, declined comments on the incident.
However, a senior military officer confirmed the attack and described the casualties as regrettable.
“Yes, we recorded a regrettable casualty over the weekend around Illela. Immediate tactical reinforcements have since been deployed to the area, while aggressive intelligence-led operations are ongoing to track and neutralise the terrorists responsible,” the officer said.
The military also stated that the identities of the deceased soldiers would remain undisclosed until their families had been officially informed.
The latest attack highlights the growing threat posed by Lakurawa terrorists in parts of Sokoto and Kebbi states, particularly communities around the Nigeria-Niger border.
In recent months, troops under Operation Fansan Yamma have intensified military offensives against armed groups operating across the North-West, including raids targeting Lakurawa camps and logistics bases.
Despite these operations, insecurity remains a major concern in the region, with repeated attacks on communities, security formations, and travellers.
UTME 2026: JAMB Gives Fresh Update on Original Result Slip Delay The Joint Admissions and…
NYSC Charges Corps Members on Election Duties as Camp Closes in Osun The National Youth…
Frank Edoho Faces Fresh Allegations as Estranged Wife Breaks Silence Media personality Frank Edoho is…
DAPPMAN Reacts As Dangote Refinery Challenges Fuel Import Licences In Court The Depot and Petroleum…
Yahaya Bello Sweeps Kogi Central APC Primary As Oshiomhole Wins Edo North Former Kogi State…
Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide Three people were…