Sheikh Jassim, Ratcliffe make final bids for Man United - Newstrends
Connect with us

Sports

Sheikh Jassim, Ratcliffe make final bids for Man United

Published

on

Sheikh Jassim, Ratcliffe make final bids for Man United

Qatari banker Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani and British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe made their third and final offers to buy Manchester United on Friday.

Sheikh Jassim is in a bidding war with Ratcliffe after the pair emerged as the main contenders to buy the Premier League club from the Glazer family.

While Sheikh Jassim’s latest offer is reported to be over £5 billion ($6.2 billion), the size of Ratcliffe’s improved bid was yet to be made public when Friday’s deadline for the third round of bidding passed at 2100 GMT.

Sources said Sheikh Jassim’s bid for 100 per cent control of the club comes with the promise of significant additional funding for transfers and infrastructure.

The spending would include either redeveloping United’s outdated Old Trafford stadium or building a new ground, along with overhauling the club’s training facilities.

Sheikh Jassim’s bid also promises to erase United’s $620 million debt.

INEOS chemical company founder Ratcliffe, a boyhood United fan who failed in his attempt to buy Chelsea last year, reportedly wants to purchase a controlling stake in United of more than 50 per cent.

READ ALSO:

That would allow United’s executive co-chairmen Joel and Avram Glazer to remain as shareholders with a 20 per cent stake, which has raised concerns among a fanbase tired of the Americans’ controversial reign.

The Glazers reportedly want a world record £6 billion fee for a sports club before they agree to sell the Old Trafford outfit, raising the possibility they might not accept either Sheikh Jassim’s offer or Ratcliffe’s approach.

Deeply unpopular with supporters since they saddled the club with debt in a £790 million leveraged takeover in 2005, the Glazers appeared ready to cash out at an enormous profit when they first invited external investment in November.

However, Elliot Investment Management and The Carlyle Group are among the private equity firms in the market for a minority stake that could allow the Glazers to retain control and provide the funding for investment in the club’s infrastructure.

Avram and Joel Glazer are reportedly keen to hold on to their stakes in United, while siblings and fellow directors Kevin, Bryan and Edward Glazer and Darcie Glazer Kassewitz are open to offloading their shares.

Offers from the last round of bidding, a process run for the Glazers by New York merchant bank the Raine Group, were believed to have been worth a maximum of £5 billion.

That would have smashed the Premier League record of £2.5 billion paid for Chelsea last year by a consortium led by Los Angeles Dodgers co-owner Todd Boehly and private equity firm Clearlake Capital, with a further £1.75 billion promised in investment in infrastructure and players.

‘Dire need’

The Manchester United Supporters’ Trust (MUST) has called for a swift conclusion to the process to allow new owners to be in place for the summer transfer window.

“We are in dire need of new investment, which undoubtedly requires new ownership. MUST, along with United fans all around the world, are calling for this process to be concluded without further delay,” the fans’ group said in a statement.

READ ALSO:

United fans are believed to be planning a protest against the Glazers ahead of Sunday’s match with Aston Villa at Old Trafford.

Decade of decline

Under the Glazers’ ownership, United have been in a steady decline on and off the field over the past decade.

The Red Devils have not won the Premier League title since former manager Alex Ferguson retired in 2013, while the club’s revenue has fallen behind local rivals Manchester City and Liverpool due to a lack of regular Champions League football and a failure to modernise Old Trafford.

But they are enjoying a renaissance under Erik ten Hag’s management this season, having ended a six-year trophy drought by lifting the League Cup in February.

They also face Manchester City in the FA Cup final on June 3.

Just months after hosting the 2022 World Cup, a successful Qatari bid would give the Gulf state pride of place in the Premier League — the world’s most-watched domestic competition.

But Sheikh Jassim is the son of former Qatari prime minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, and his close links to the gulf state’s ruling elite would raise questions over another Premier League club becoming a state-backed project.

Finnish tycoon Thomas Zilliacus is the outside contender, having recently said his offer from the second round of bidding still stood despite labelling the prolonged sale process as a “farce”.

Sheikh Jassim, Ratcliffe make final bids for Man United

AFP

Sports

Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League

Published

on

Victor Osimhen
Victor Osimhen

Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League 

Galatasaray delivered a remarkable comeback to defeat Juventus 5–2 in the Champions League knockout playoff first leg at Rams Park, Istanbul, giving the Turkish side a commanding three-goal advantage ahead of the second leg in Turin on 25 February 2026. The match was a thrilling spectacle of attacking brilliance, defensive lapses, and key disciplinary moments that turned the game in favor of the hosts.

Juventus initially took the lead after Gabriel Sara opened the scoring for Galatasaray in the 15th minute, only for Teun Koopmeiners to equalize immediately and then score again in the 32nd minute, giving the Italian side a 2–1 advantage at halftime. The Serie A giants appeared in control, but the second half saw Galatasaray shift momentum dramatically.

Just minutes into the second half, Noa Lang scored to level the game at 2–2, followed by Davinson Sánchez heading in a set-piece goal in the 60th minute to give Galatasaray the lead. Juventus’ hopes were further dented when Juan Cabal, a second-half substitute, was shown a second yellow card in the 67th minute, reducing the visitors to 10 men and giving Galatasaray a clear numerical advantage.

READ ALSO:

Exploiting their superiority, Noa Lang netted his second goal of the evening in the 74th minute, and Sacha Boey sealed the emphatic 5–2 victory with a late strike in the 86th minute, completing one of Galatasaray’s most memorable Champions League performances in recent years.

The win marks a historic European night for Galatasaray, boosting confidence and positioning the Turkish side strongly for progression to the round of 16. Juventus, meanwhile, faces a challenging second leg in Turin, needing a near-perfect performance to overturn the three-goal deficit.

The match showcased Galatasaray’s attacking prowess, tactical discipline, and resilience, highlighting their ability to exploit opportunities and capitalize on numerical advantage while keeping pressure on a historically dominant European side.

Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League

Continue Reading

Sports

Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica

Published

on

Vinicius Jr
Vinicius Jr

Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica

Vinicius Jr scored a stunning match-winning goal to secure Real Madrid’s 1–0 victory over SL Benfica in the UEFA Champions League play-off first leg at Estádio da Luz in Lisbon on Tuesday. The Brazilian winger’s brilliance, however, was overshadowed by a racism controversy that marred the game.

The decisive moment came five minutes into the second half when Vinicius Jr curled a magnificent strike into the top corner, breaking the deadlock against a resilient Benfica defence. The goal put Real Madrid in a strong position ahead of the return leg in Madrid next week.

The celebrations quickly sparked tension when Vinicius ran toward the Benfica supporters after scoring. According to reports, Gianluca Prestianni, an Argentinian winger for Benfica, allegedly directed a racial slur at Vinicius. The referee, François Letexier, paused the game for about 10 minutes under UEFA’s anti-racism protocol as players and coaches conferred on the field. (goal.com)

READ ALSO:

Television footage showed Prestianni covering his mouth while speaking to Vinicius, which many interpreted as an attempt to conceal a racist comment. Real Madrid players, including Kylian Mbappé, confronted the Benfica player, calling for disciplinary action. Mbappé later said Prestianni “doesn’t deserve to be in the Champions League.”

The crowd reacted with hostility toward Vinicius, frequently booing him and even throwing objects on the pitch. Defender Trent Alexander-Arnold described the alleged abuse as “a disgrace to football,” reflecting widespread frustration over persistent racism in European competitions.

Vinicius responded strongly on social media, calling the abusers “cowards” and emphasising that racism remains a serious issue in football. He urged stronger measures to protect players and ensure zero tolerance for racial discrimination.

Benfica manager José Mourinho defended his club, insisting Benfica is not racist and pointing to its history of diversity and iconic Black players. Mourinho acknowledged the tension around Vinicius’s goal celebration but urged players and fans to exercise restraint.

Despite the off-field drama, Real Madrid emerged victorious thanks to Vinicius Jr’s technical brilliance, taking a crucial advantage into the second leg. The match will be remembered both for the goal of the night and the alleged racial incident, which continues to spark debate across football communities.

Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica

Continue Reading

Sports

X Restored After Global Outage Disrupts Millions Worldwide

Published

on

X-logo

X Restored After Global Outage Disrupts Millions Worldwide

The social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, has been fully restored after a global outage that left millions of users unable to access the service across several countries on Monday.

The disruption, which began earlier in the day, affected users in the United States, United Kingdom, Nigeria, India, and parts of Europe and Asia, with widespread complaints of blank timelines, login failures, error messages, and inability to post or refresh feeds. Both the mobile application and web version of the platform were impacted.

Online outage-tracking platforms recorded a sharp spike in user complaints, confirming that the issue was global rather than country-specific. Many users reported seeing messages such as “Something went wrong” while attempting to access their accounts.

After roughly two hours of downtime, services were gradually restored, with users regaining access to timelines, posts, messages, and other core features. By mid-afternoon GMT, functionality had largely returned to normal worldwide.

READ ALSO:

While the platform confirmed restoration through improved service performance, X did not issue an official explanation for the outage. There was also no immediate public statement from the company’s owner, Elon Musk, regarding the cause of the disruption.

Industry observers described the incident as an international technical failure, stressing that it was not linked to government restrictions or localized internet shutdowns. The outage adds to a growing list of service disruptions experienced by the platform in recent months, raising renewed concerns about platform stability and infrastructure resilience.

X remains one of the world’s most influential social media platforms, widely used for breaking news, public discourse, business communication, and real-time updates, making the outage particularly disruptive for users and organizations that rely on it for timely information.

X Restored After Global Outage Disrupts Millions Worldwide

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending