Shocking, Port Harcourt refinery stops working days after operation resumed - Investigation - Newstrends
Connect with us

Business

Shocking, Port Harcourt refinery stops working days after operation resumed – Investigation

Published

on

Shocking, Port Harcourt refinery stops working days after operation resumed – Investigation

 

The Port Harcourt Refining Company (PHRC) has stopped production of petroleum products days after the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited boldly announced the resumption of the refinery’s operation, which instantly elicited jubilation across the country.

Photos and videos of loading of fuel trucks from the just rehabilitated refinery on the day of announcement were flaunted on the internet, generously used by both conventional and online media.

However, an investigation by a reporter who visited the refinery on Friday showed that the facility was idle, with no visible signs of operation.

This tallies with the position of a Rivers State community leader (from Alesa), Timothy Mgbere, who declared that the refinery was yet to start producing fuel.

Indeed, Mgbere who came on a national television on Thursday accused the NNPCL of lying to Nigerians and faulted the claim that the revived facility was already processing 1.4 million barrels of fuel per day.

Although he confirmed that the refinery had commenced skeletal service, he said the NNPCL only sent out old stock of fuel in the so-called first loading to mark its resumption.

“They released that stock and then loaded six trucks and then televised it to Nigerians that it is the production from the old refinery. That is not true,” he said.

A report by PUNCH in Saturday also quoted one of refinery’s workers as revealing that the loaded trucks contained ‘dead stock’.

He said, “Before the refinery was shut down between 2015/2016, we had dead stock left in the tank, including some Premium Motor Spirit (petrol) DPK (kerosene), and Automated Gas Oil (diesel). These products were in large quantities in stores in those tanks.

“So, the product that was loaded was dead stock, that is the old product that was in the system.

“So, after these dead stocks, they will have to clean the tank, remove all the debris before pumping the new project into that tank, and redye it.”

It was also leant that the facility was still undergoing a calibration process, which might continue until next week.

The NNPC had earlier proudly claimed that trucks had commenced loading petroleum products, including petrol, diesel and kerosene from the refinery but would restrict its fuel supply to the NNPCL retail outlets for now.

The Chief Corporate Communications Officer of NNPCL, Femi Soneye, came out to debunk Mgbere’s claim that the refinery was not producing fuel and declared that it was operating at 90 per cent capacity.

He tried to rubbish any contrary report describing it as “sheer mischief and blatant display of ignorance.”

But Mgbere insisted, “Let it be clear here; no single product has moved from the Port Harcourt refinery area into the product reception area of the depot.”

He stressed the need for a complete system audit to establish the true status of the refinery’s operations.

Loading

Railway

NRC Cries Out as Vandals Strip Railway Tracks in Plateau, Bauchi

Published

on

NRC Cries Out as Vandals Strip Railway Tracks in Plateau, Bauchi

 

The Nigerian Railway Corporation has raised fresh concern over  reported coordinated attacks on railway infrastructure in parts of the country, warning that the growing wave of vandalism may trigger fatal train accidents and undermine billions of naira invested in the rail sector.

The corporation said recent incidents recorded in Plateau and Bauchi states have exposed a dangerous trend of deliberate destruction and illegal removal of railway materials critical to safe train operations and national economic activities.

According to a statement issued by the Chief Public Relations Officer of the NRC, Callistus Unyimadu, one of the latest incidents occurred on May 21, 2026, when a truck loaded with suspected vandalised railway materials got stuck between Kuru and Science School in Plateau State, exposing the activities of criminal elements involved in the theft and illegal transportation of railway assets.

The NRC also disclosed that along the Zango axis in Bauchi State, between Kilometer 878 and 889, railway slippers were completely removed on both sides of a level crossing, leaving only a few disconnected rail components behind.

The corporation warned that the destruction of railway tracks, slippers, clips, fastenings and signalling materials poses grave danger to rail transportation, noting that such acts could lead to catastrophic train accidents, disruption of services, loss of lives and severe economic setbacks.

Describing the development as an attack on critical national infrastructure and public safety, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NRC, Kayode Opeifa, condemned the persistent vandalism, saying it amounted to sabotage against national progress.

He noted that the increasing incidents across the North Central and North East railway corridors indicate an alarming pattern requiring urgent intervention from security agencies, state governments, traditional rulers, community leaders and residents living along rail lines.

Opeifa appealed to Nigerians to regard railway infrastructure as a strategic national asset built with taxpayers’ money to support transportation, trade and economic growth, stressing that such facilities should not be reduced to scraps for illegal business activities.

He warned vandals, scrap dealers and other individuals involved in the unlawful purchase, destruction or movement of railway materials to desist immediately or face prosecution.

The corporation further called on security agencies to strengthen surveillance and enforcement operations around railway corridors nationwide, while urging members of the public to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities around railway facilities.

The NRC urged Nigerians to join hands in protecting railway infrastructure, insisting that the nation’s rail system remains too important to be left vulnerable to criminal attacks.

Loading

Continue Reading

Railway

Sallah Rush: NRC Adds Extra Lagos-Ibadan Train Trips, Osun Sponsors Free Rail Service 

Published

on

Sallah Rush: NRC Adds Extra Lagos-Ibadan Train Trips, Osun Sponsors Free Rail Service 

 

The Nigerian Railway Corporation has announced additional train services on the busy Lagos–Ibadan corridor ahead of the Sallah celebration, citing an anticipated surge in passenger traffic during the festive period.

In a statement signed by the Corporation’s Chief Public Relations Officer, Callistus Unyimadu, the rail operator said six train trips would operate on Tuesday, May 26, 2026, instead of the regular four trips currently running on the Lagos–Ibadan Train Service (LITS) route.

According to the NRC management, the temporary increase is aimed at easing movement for Nigerians travelling to celebrate Sallah with their families and loved ones.

Under the special arrangement, trains will depart from the Lagos end at 7:45am, 1:40pm and 4:00pm, while departures from Ibadan are scheduled for 8:00am, 10:50am and 4:30pm.

The corporation stressed that the expanded operations are only for the Sallah travel window, noting that the normal four-trip Tuesday timetable would resume immediately after the festivities.

It also disclosed that the recently introduced six-trip Thursday operations on the corridor would be temporarily scaled down next week, with only four trips scheduled for Thursday, May 28, during the review period. The regular Thursday six-trip schedule will return the following week.

Meanwhile, the Osun State Government is set to operate its annual free Sallah train service on the NRC narrow gauge line for indigenes travelling home for the celebration in Osogbo.

The special train service will depart from Iddo Station in Lagos on Tuesday, May 26, while the return journey from Osogbo to Lagos is scheduled for Thursday, May 28.

NRC explained that the service, traditionally provided during festive seasons, is being sponsored by the Osun State Government through a paid partnership with the Corporation to enable Osun indigenes travel free of charge for the Sallah celebration.

The management reaffirmed the corporation’s commitment to providing safe, efficient and reliable rail transport services across the country, while wishing Nigerians a peaceful and memorable Sallah celebration.

Loading

Continue Reading

Auto

Jetour T2 Earns Top Global Safety Rating, Intensifies SUV Battle in Nigeria

Published

on

Jetour T2 Earns Top Global Safety Rating, Intensifies SUV Battle in Nigeria

 

Jetour has thrown down the gauntlet in Nigeria’s increasingly competitive SUV market after its rugged T2 model secured the coveted NCAP 5-Star safety rating — a global benchmark regarded as the highest standard in crash protection and accident avoidance technology.

The achievement is expected to boost the brand’s appeal among Nigerian motorists seeking tough, family-oriented SUVs that combine advanced safety, luxury and off-road capability for the country’s challenging road conditions.

Jetour Nigeria discloses this in a statement, stressing that it is backing the T2 with a growing nationwide dealership and after-sales support network, including trained technicians, genuine spare parts, structured maintenance plans and warranty coverage aimed at boosting long-term ownership confidence.

Positioned as a bold “super SUV,” the Jetour T2 was designed specifically with Nigerian driving conditions in mind, according to the automaker.

In a country where motorists often encounter congested urban roads, long-distance highways and rough rural terrain within the same trip, the T2 is engineered to adapt seamlessly to changing environments.

Safety is seen as one of the vehicle’s strongest selling points. The SUV comes equipped with a comprehensive airbag system, SRS airbags, parking sensors, rear camera and surround-view monitor.

It also features advanced driver-assistance technologies such as Anti-lock Braking System, Emergency Braking Assist and Auto-Brake Assist, which help detect potential collisions and automatically apply braking when necessary.

Beyond safety, the T2 projects a muscular and commanding presence aimed at drivers looking for both ruggedness and refinement.

Jetour says the SUV was built to offer confidence for daily commuting while remaining capable enough for off-road adventures.

Inside, the cabin combines premium comfort with practical space. Measuring 4,785mm in length, 2,006mm in width and 1,880mm in height, the SUV offers generous legroom and headroom for occupants, making it suitable for long-distance travel and family use.

Under the hood, the T2 is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged engine delivering 187kW (254hp) and 390Nm of torque.

Paired with a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission, the setup provides strong acceleration, smooth overtaking capability and enough power to tackle steep inclines and demanding terrains.

A major highlight of the SUV is its advanced multi-terrain capability. The T2 features a BorgWarner sixth-generation four-wheel-drive system and XWD automatic intelligent drivetrain.

Multiple drive modes — including Sport, Eco, Normal, Mud, Rock and X Smart — allow the vehicle to adjust to varying road conditions ranging from muddy rural tracks to sandy and rocky surfaces.

Technology and convenience also feature prominently in the package. A 15.6-inch LCD touchscreen serves as the hub for infotainment, vehicle diagnostics and off-road information.

Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth connectivity, intelligent voice commands, cruise control and crawl control are integrated to enhance the driving experience.

Additional features such as remote start, push-button ignition, lane departure warning and blind-spot detection further improve convenience and safety for drivers.

With the T2, Jetour is seeking to position itself as a brand that understands the realities of Nigerian roads and the increasing appetite among motorists for SUVs that combine adventure, luxury and safety without compromise.

Jetour Nigeria specifically lists its accredited dealers spread across the country as Elizade Nigeria Limited, New Era AutoVehicle Services Limited, Kojo Motors, Germaine Auto Centre, Tab Autos Limited, R. T. Briscoe Motors and Mandilas Autos.

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending