Connect with us

metro

Sultan condemns killing of Sokoto student over alleged blasphemy

Published

on

The Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Abubakar, has condemned the killing of a female student at the Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto over allegation of blasphemy.

The Sultan urged security operatives to ensure that the perpetrators are apprehended.

The police command in Sokoto said already two suspects had been arrested over their alleged involvement in the murder.

In a statement by Sa’idu Maccido, secretary of the sultanate council, the Sultan also urged the public to “remain calm and ensure peaceful co-exiatence among all people of the state and nation”.

The student, identified as Deborah Samuel, was said to have been attacked by a mob over remarks considered to be an insult to Prophet Mohammed.

Videos of the student being stoned and beaten with sticks were shared on social media, and the incident was reported to have occurred in the early hours of Thursday.

In a statement on the incident, Sanusi Abubakar, spokesman for the Sokoto police command, said operatives had been deployed to the area.

“At about 0900hrs, a distress call was received from Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto, stating that students were rioting over one female student named Deborah Samuel, a level two student, who was accused of making a social media post that blasphemed the holy prophet Muhammad (SAW),” the statement read.

“Students forcefully removed the victim from the security room where she was hidden by the school authorities, killed her and burnt the building.

The police said, “The students together with miscreants barricaded the Sokoto/Jega road. Upon receiving the information, the DC Operations led a team of policemen and all other operational commanders in the state to the school where the road was cleared and the situation was brought under control.

“Two students were arrested in connection with the crime committed.

“The school has been closed down by the school authority, and policemen were deployed to give tight security coverage.

“The Commissioner of Police, Sokoto State Command, CP Kamaldeen Kola Okunlola fdc, mnim, is appealing to members of the public to go about their lawful activities and should not panic as the situation is under control.

“Meanwhile, the suspects in the viral video on Twitter were spotted and will be nailed soon.”

metro

DSS storms ECWA Church, takes out 21 Muslim boys allegedly being forcefully converted to Christianity

Published

on

JOS – The Department of State Security (DSS) has raided a house located at JMDB quarters, in the Tudun Wada community of Jos North LGA of Plateau State, North-central Nigeria where the operatives rescued 21 young people, including almajirai, Daily Trust has reported.

The Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), while confirming the incident, said the rescued victims told the group during interrogation that they were forcefully brought to the house and converted to Christianity.

The General Secretary of the Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA), Rev. Yunusa Nmadu, said the house which was raided by the DSS was under the custody of the church but denied that it was used to convert people to Christianity, adding the claim should be discarded.

Daily Trust reports that the DSS raided the house on June 14, and recovered the victims, who were said to have been brought to Jos from another state.

The raid of the house, according to the JNI’s Director Aid Group Plateau State chapter, and Chief Security Officer, Jos Central Mosque, Danjuma Khalid, came after one of the victims, Abdulrahman Usaini, who escaped from the house, reported that they had been camped in the house for eight months.

Khalid said the DSS operatives raided the house following JNI’s report.

READ ALSO:

“On June 13, a group of people including Abdulrahman who ran away from the house met me here in the Central Mosque saying that they had come to report an issue regarding forceful adoption and conversion of their pupils to Christianity by ECWA Church in Jos.

“While narrating the incident, the escapee told me that he and one other, Nura Usama, were forcefully taken by some individuals in a Camry Toyota Car from Gombe, to ECWA headquarters, Jos, and after being documented, they were later taken to a house at Tudun Wada, where they were camped, and that he had ran away, leaving his brother, Nura at the house.

“On June 14, we reported the case to the DSS, Plateau State command, and the escapee narrated to the DSS how they were taken from Gombe to Jos and how he escaped from the house in Tudun Wada area. Immediately after we reported the matter, the DSS swung into action. The operatives of the command went to the house in Tudun Wada alongside the escapee, stormed the premises and rescued 21 children.”

He said when the victims were brought to the DSS State Command, two of the victims  – Abdulrahman Usaini and Nura Usama – were handed over to JNI, the uncle to Abdulrahman, and their teacher, while the remaining victims were left under the custody of the DSS until their parents or relatives were found.

Continue Reading

metro

NDLEA arrested some politicians in possession of illicit drugs

Published

on

NDLEA boss, Buba Marwa

Buba Marwa, chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), says officers of the agency arrested some politicians in possession of illicit drugs.

Marwa said this on Sunday when he featured on Channels Television’s ‘Hard Copy’.

The chairman said he was “somewhat disappointed” that the drive to have public officers undergo drug-tests before they assume office did not go through.

“But the idea is not original. We are promoting what is going on already in Kano state. In kano state, all politicians under the governor’s party, aspiring for an office, must first demonstrate in the screening process that they are drug negative and I’m in full support of that,” he said.

READ ALSO:

“We have arrested politicians who either are holding political office or have retired. Recently one of them was jailed in Lagos, he was trying to smuggle 1kg, maybe to use it to run for office.

“As you know, the cartels also participate in political institutions, they actually fund candidates into the various levels so that the correct laws (that favour them) are enacted.”

Speaking on the rehabilitation of drug users, the NDLEA chief said there is a dearth of rehab centres “and there are thousands if not millions of drug users who need help but there’s no where to go. And so they snuck back into their bedrooms and continue to take drugs”.

“Right now we have just 11 model rehab centres in the country which is very low. The Presidential Advisory Committee on Elimination of Drug Abuse (PACEDA) recommended that there should be about three centres per state looking at the prevalence and the federal government already through the ministry of health, has agreed to build one more rehab centre in every state,” he said.

THE CABLE

Continue Reading

metro

Surety docked for failing to produce brother in court

Published

on

A 28-year-old man, Innocent Okoloneli, who allegedly stood as surety for his brother and failed to produce him in court, was on Monday docked in a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Yaba, Lagos.

The police charged Okoloneli, who resides in Bariga area of Lagos, with attempt to pervert justice.

He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Prosecution Counsel, ASP Rita Momah, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on April 30, at the office of  the Deputy Commissioner of Police, State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti in Yaba, Lagos.

Momah said the defendant stood as a surety for his brother, Victor, who was facing a charge of obtaining by false pretences and theft.

She that while the matter was still being investigated by the police, the defendant willingly stood as a surety for his brother at the station.

READ ALSO:

She added that the defendant also signed an undertaking to produce his brother in court until the end of the case against him but failed to do so.

The offence, she said, contravenes the provisions of Section 97 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 97 provides seven years imprisonment for attempt to pervert justice.

Chief Magistrate Adeola Adedayo admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N5million with two responsible sureties in like sum.

She held that the sureties must submit copies of their National Identification Number (NIN), and their Lagos State Residents Registration Agency (LASRRA) card.

She further directed that both of them must be residing within the court’s jurisdiction and be gainfully employed with evidence of three years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.

Adedayo adjourned the case until July 19 for mention.

EAGLE

Continue Reading

Trending