Trump fires election security official who rejected fraud claims - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Trump fires election security official who rejected fraud claims

Published

on

United States President Donald Trump has fired the government’s top election security official, who rejected the President’s claims of “massive” fraud in the November 3 poll, which he lost to the Democratic Party candidate, Joe Biden.

Trump announced on Twitter the termination “effective immediately” of Chris Krebs, who led the agency that jointly declared “the November 3rd election was the most secure in American history.”

Trump, who refuses to acknowledge that he lost his bid for reelection to Biden, has repeatedly claimed without evidence that the voting and count were replete with fraud.

“The recent statement by Chris Krebs on the security of the 2020 Election was highly inaccurate, in that there were massive improprieties and fraud,” Trump wrote in a tweet.

“Therefore, effective immediately, Chris Krebs has been terminated as Director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.”

Krebs, who reportedly told friends last week he expected to be removed, appeared to confirm it in a tweet on his personal account.

“Honored to serve. We did it right. Defend Today, Secure Tomorrow,” he wrote.

Krebs was in charge of fending off possible foreign and domestic hacker intrusions into myriad voting machines, sorting and counting machines, databases and other systems that states and localities rely on to tally ballots.

Adam Schiff, the Democratic chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said Krebs and his team had “worked diligently to safeguard our elections.”

“Instead of rewarding this great service, President Trump is retaliating against Director Krebs and other officials who did their duty,” he said in a statement.

Republican Senator Ben Sasse wrote: “Chris Krebs did a really good job — as state election officials all across the nation will tell you — and he obviously should not be fired.”

The challenge was even tougher this year because of the complexities of the coronavirus, which forced a sweeping turn to voting by mail.

Under Krebs, CISA had also warned several times that Russians and Iranians were making attempts to break into the US systems, as Russians had tried in 2016.

The White House was reportedly particularly unhappy about a CISA webpage set up to fight disinformation called “Rumor vs Reality.”

The page rejected claims Trump and others have made, including that many votes were made in the names of dead people, that counting the ballots days after election day is not normal and that shifting vote counts indicate fraud.

Through numerous reviews, investigations and lawsuits, no evidence has come up of any significant distortion or loss of votes, by accident or fraud.

“There is no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised,” an official group of senior US federal and state election officials said in a report last week.

Loading

News

BBNaija’s Phyna Exposes Alleged WhatsApp Chats, Accuses VeryDarkMan of Sexual Advances, Retaliation

Published

on

BBNaija’s Phyna Exposes Alleged WhatsApp Chats, Accuses VeryDarkMan of Sexual Advances, Retaliation

 

Former Big Brother Naija winner Phyna has released screenshots of alleged WhatsApp conversations in which social activist VeryDarkMan (VDM) appears to make crude sexual advances toward her, including a message that read: ā€œIf we fuck, fine; if we don’t, bye.ā€ The reality star, whose full name is Ijeoma Josephina Otabor, accused the outspoken online critic of later turning against her after she rejected his overtures.

In the screenshots shared via her official social media handles, a contact saved as ā€œVdmmmmā€ sent a series of sexually explicit texts. Among them: ā€œGrowing up I just say I’m sexually attracted to you,ā€ ā€œI always add sexually,ā€ and ā€œMake we fuck.ā€ Phyna’s responses in the chat show her declining the alleged request. She replied: ā€œI wasn’t interestedā€ and accused the activist of lying and manipulation.

Phyna further claimed that after she turned him down, VeryDarkMan weaponized unrelated personal matters to damage her public image. ā€œAll this time I’ve been saying you lied, you refused to reply,ā€ she wrote. ā€œCan’t wait for your downfall because you are EVIL.ā€ She also alleged that VDM involved a mutual contact—referred to as ā€œfriend blackyā€ā€”to pressure her, and later exploited a controversy involving her sister and a Dangote truck accident as a means of retaliation. ā€œThe worst lie a man can tell is to lie to someone to get their feelings,ā€ Phyna wrote. ā€œYou choose my sister’s birthday of all days to divert attention.ā€

The leaked exchanges have ignited fierce debate online. Some social media users condemned the circulation of private chats, while others argued that the messages, if authentic, reveal a pattern of coercive and manipulative behavior. As of press time, VeryDarkMan had not issued any formal response to the specific WhatsApp screenshots or the allegations of romantic advances. His representatives could not be reached for comment.

 

The controversy adds to a growing list of public confrontations between Nigerian celebrities and online activists. Phyna had previously sought VDM’s help regarding a legal issue involving her sister, but that relationship has since collapsed. Observers note that allegations involving rejected advances followed by online retaliation often raise serious questions about privacy, consent, and the misuse of digital influence.

 

While the screenshots have circulated widely, no independent forensic verification of the WhatsApp exchanges has been conducted. Both parties have not provided call recordings or additional metadata to authenticate the timeline of messages. The development remains a he-said-she-said dispute, though Phyna has urged the public to review the chats and draw their own conclusions.

 

BBNaija’s Phyna Exposes Alleged WhatsApp Chats, Accuses VeryDarkMan of Sexual Advances, Retaliation

Loading

Continue Reading

News

Trump’s Reception of Ambassador Are Signals Stronger Nigeria–US Partnership

Published

on

Trump’s Reception of Ambassador Are Signals Stronger Nigeria–US Partnership
US President Donald Trump and Ambassador Kayode Are

Trump’s Reception of Ambassador Are Signals Stronger Nigeria–US Partnership

The national leadership of accredited Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) and Community-Based Organisations (CBOs) in Nigeria has commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for appointing Ambassador Kayode Are as Nigeria’s envoy to the United States, describing the decision as a strategic diplomatic move capable of strengthening bilateral ties between both nations.

The commendation was conveyed through the Civil Society Organisations on Community Advancement and Humanitarian Empowerment Initiative (CSCHEI), a United Nations-recognised platform that coordinates accredited civil society and community-based organisations across Nigeria.

In a statement signed by its Director-General, Hon. Kunle Yusuff, the organisation praised the appointment, noting that Ambassador Are’s vast experience in security, intelligence gathering, diplomacy, and international relations positions him to effectively advance Nigeria’s strategic interests in Washington.

According to CSCHEI, the appointment reflects the Tinubu administration’s deliberate effort to deploy highly experienced professionals to key diplomatic postings as part of broader foreign policy reforms aimed at enhancing Nigeria’s global influence and strengthening international partnerships.

The organisation noted that Nigeria–United States relations have remained critical to Nigeria’s socio-economic development over the years, with longstanding cooperation spanning vital sectors such as education, healthcare, security collaboration, oil and gas, aviation, trade, technology, and industrial development.

CSCHEI also expressed appreciation to the United States Government for formally accepting Ambassador Are and facilitating the commencement of his diplomatic assignment in Washington.

READ ALSO:

The group said the envoy’s official reception by US President Donald Trump at the Oval Office of the White House on Thursday, May 21, sends a strong diplomatic signal of renewed commitment to deeper institutional engagement between both countries.

It added that the development could unlock fresh opportunities for development-focused partnerships involving US-based international non-governmental organisations, development agencies, donor institutions, and accredited CSOs and CBOs in Nigeria.

The statement further disclosed that CSCHEI’s development partner, Africa United Congress USA, described Ambassador Are as a seasoned diplomat whose integrity, competence, and professional track record make him well-positioned to strengthen bilateral cooperation and promote Nigeria’s economic and developmental interests abroad.

According to the group, Ambassador Are’s diplomatic credentials and expertise are expected to help facilitate stronger collaborations in key areas including security cooperation, counterterrorism intelligence sharing, foreign direct investment, youth development, infrastructure financing, innovation, and humanitarian intervention programmes.

ā€œThe global community witnessed the official presentation at the Oval Office of the White House on Thursday, May 21. Capacity and performance in diplomacy are evident, and accredited civil society and community-based organisations in Nigeria are proud of Ambassador Kayode Are’s representation of the country,ā€ the statement read.

Analysts believe the envoy’s appointment comes at a critical period when Nigeria is seeking to reposition itself as a leading destination for international investment while deepening strategic partnerships with major global powers.

Observers also note that stronger diplomatic engagement between Abuja and Washington could accelerate cooperation in critical sectors such as energy transition, digital innovation, defence modernisation, education exchange programmes, and sustainable development initiatives.

The latest development is widely seen as the beginning of a renewed chapter in Nigeria–US diplomatic relations, with expectations of expanded economic cooperation and stronger institutional collaboration in the months ahead.

Trump’s Reception of Ambassador Are Signals Stronger Nigeria–US Partnership

Loading

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Has No Plan to Change Nigeria’s Name or Abolish Sharia Law – Presidency

Published

on

Tinubu Has No Plan to Change Nigeria's Name or Abolish Sharia Law – Presidency
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Tinubu Has No Plan to Change Nigeria’s Name or Abolish Sharia Law – Presidency

PresidentĀ Bola Ahmed TinubuĀ has reacted to a report making rounds in some quarters on the alleged plan by his government to change the name of Nigeria and abolishĀ Sharia lawĀ in the northern part of the country. The President, in a statement issued by his spokesman,Ā Bayo Onanuga, on Thursday night, May 21, 2026, described the report as far from the truth. The statement from the Presidency reads: “The Presidency wishes to inform Nigerians and state clearly that there isĀ no truthĀ whatsoever to the viral fake story claiming that President Bola Tinubu seeks to carry out constitutional amendments that will changeĀ Nigeria’s nameĀ to the ‘United States of Nigeria’ and abolish Sharia Law in the Northern region, among other claims.” According to the Presidency, the report—which cited anonymous sources—is part of a “dubious plot by some desperate politicians to create disaffection in our country, stir up a political crisis, and heat the polity ahead of the general elections.” The statement urged Nigerians to ignore the viral story in its entirety, describing the purveyors of the fake news as “agents of destabilisationĀ and merchants of disorder.”

The statement also clarified that President Tinubu has “no plan whatsoever to send any bill code-namedĀ ‘Project True Federation’Ā to the National Assembly by December 15, a few weeks before the general election.” The Presidency emphasized that under Nigerian law, constitutional changes and amendments are serious matters that require legislative scrutiny, oversight, and extensive debate. “The process of amending the constitution is not at the President’s or the National Assembly’s whim. It is a task that requires aĀ 2/3 majority in both chambersĀ of the National Assembly and the concurrence ofĀ 24 State Houses of Assembly.” This constitutional safeguard ensures that no single individual or branch of government can unilaterally alter the nation’s founding document, a fact that makes the alleged “Project True Federation” bill not only improbable but legally impossible to execute within the claimed timeline. The rigorous amendment process, which involves extensive public hearings, legislative debates, and state-level ratification, is deliberately designed to protect Nigeria’s federal structure from arbitrary changes by those in power.

READ ALSO:

The Presidency further stressed thatĀ President TinubuĀ is focused on the arduous task of entrenching and deepening theĀ economic reformsĀ his administration has embarked upon, with the aim of delivering more tangible dividends to Nigerians. Since assuming office, Tinubu’s administration has pursued a series of landmark economic policies, including the removal of fuel subsidies and the unification of exchange rates, aimed at stabilizing the economy and attracting foreign investment. The statement cautioned citizens against consuming fake and divisive reports, warning that misinformation is likely to proliferate as the nation begins political campaigns, a prelude to theĀ general elections scheduled for January 2027. According to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the 2027 general elections have been scheduled to hold onĀ Saturday, 16th January 2027Ā for the Presidential and National Assembly Elections, while the Governorship and State Houses of Assembly Elections will hold onĀ Saturday, 6th February 2027. Political campaigns are expected to commence in August 2026, which the Presidency noted as a period when fake news could proliferate as desperate politicians seek to gain an advantage through misinformation and fear-mongering.

The viral report had sparked widespread concern across the country, particularly in the Northern region whereĀ Sharia lawĀ operates alongside the secular legal system in several states including Zamfara, Kano, Sokoto, Kebbi, Niger, and Kaduna. The false claims raised alarms among religious and traditional leaders, who feared the potential social and legal implications of abolishing a system that has been in operation for over two decades in some Northern states. However, the Presidency’s swift and categorical denial appears aimed at dousing any potential tensions arising from the false claims. Meanwhile, the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC) has also weighed in on the broader political landscape, declaring that the only factor holding the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) is political power, though this comment was made in a separate context at the launch of the Rise Up Naija Movement (RUN) in Abuja. Nigerians are advised to rely on official communications from the Presidency and verified news sources for accurate information, especially as the country heads toward the 2027 general elections. The Presidency reiterated its commitment to transparency and called on citizens to verify any sensational claims through official channels before sharing, warning that spreading unverified information could lead to unnecessary panic and social unrest.

Tinubu Has No Plan to Change Nigeria’s Name or Abolish Sharia Law – Presidency

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending