metro
Uber driver admits killing female passenger after raping her
Uber driver admits killing female passenger after raping her
Police say an Uber driver recently arrested in the death of an Indianapolis woman admitted he r@ped, sh0t and k!lled her after picking her up from work Sunday morning, September 8.
Francisco Valadez, 29, was arrested Tuesday morning, September 10, by Indianapolis homicide detectives and preliminarily charged with m*rder.
The Uber driver reportedly admitted to police that he shot and k!lled 30-year-old Chanti Dixon in a fit of rage after picking her up and attempting to r@pe her in the back of his car.
Valadez also allegedly admitted to dumping Dixon’s body in an alleyway in a wooded area near the victim’s home after trying to r@pe her corpse again.
“This is just disgusting all around and it did not have to happen,” said Indianapolis Metro police chief Chris Bailey.
According to court documents filed Tuesday in Marion County Court, officers were called around 1 p.m. Monday, September 9, to the 1800 block of Wagner Lane after a woman’s body was found in a nearby wooded area.
IMPD arrived to find a woman naked, unresponsive and lying on her stomach. The victim’s family said they tracked her phone to the woods behind her home where they found her body and called the police.
The woman, later identified by the Marion County Coroner’s Office as Dixon was pronounced de@d on the scene.
After the crime scene was processed for evidence, it was discovered that Dixon had suffered a gunshot wound to the left side of her head.
A woman near the scene told police that the de@d woman was her daughter who had been missing since early Sunday morning. The woman told officers her daughter had gotten off work around 3:30 a.m. and ordered an Uber to get home. No one had talked to her since.
IMPD crews reportedly found two cell phones in the wooded area near Dixon’s body, both of which belonged to Dixon. Her mother gave police the passcodes for both phones, which investigators said would eventually lead them to Valadez.
READ ALSO:
- Troops eliminate more bandit leaders in Plateau
- Borno flooding: WHO steps in as state govt opens relief account, Dangote donates N2bn
- Zamfara residents, other jubilate after Niger Rep-born bandit leader, followers were eliminated
Once back at the homicide office, detectives found that Dixon had ordered an Uber at 3:34 a.m. from the 2300 block of W. 16th Street. She reportedly made one stop along Washington Street in the Uber before being taken in the same car to her home address on Earhart Street.
According to data stored in the Uber app, Dixon’s driver drove a BMW with an Indiana license plate, which detectives later connected to Valadez.
Detectives then went to Valadez’s home and began questioning him about Dixon. He told police that he did pick up Dixon on Sunday but then began to tell a story of how an armed Black man came up to his car and tried to rob Dixon.
“[Valadez] added that the suspect shot [Dixon] in the thigh and that she kicked herself out of his car and he fled the scene,” police wrote.
“He also said that he had cleaned the blood out of his car.”
Police also reportedly spoke with Valadez’s mother, who told them that her son owned a gun that he regularly carried. She added that he had recently cleaned out his car.
After seizing items inside his car for evidence, police took Valadez in for interrogation.
Admission and arrest Detectives took Valadez to the IMPD homicide office where he was reportedly read his Miranda Rights and signed a waiver agreeing to speak with police.
After telling several stories about what happened to Dixon, Valadez reportedly admitted what actually happened.
“Mr Valadez told two different stories as to what happened with Ms Dixon,” police wrote in the court documents.
Detectives said Valadez admitted to r@ping the woman in the back of his car.
While r@ping the woman, Valadez said she insulted his body. This reportedly caused him to become enraged and shoot Dixon in the head.
Valadez told police that after the shooting, he dragged Dixon out of his car and placed her lifeless body behind a concrete barrier at the dead end of Wagner Lane.
The Uber driver also admitted to trying to have s*x with Dixon’s de@d body, police said.
READ ALSO:
- US imposes new sanctions on Russian state media
- Court jails Inspector General of Police to six months
- Why only Nigerians call petrol PMS – Farooq Kperogi
Valadez was then taken into custody by IMPD and later booked into the Marion County Jail on a felony m*rder charge. IMPD officials said Tuesday that more charges can be expected in the case.
An initial court hearing has not yet been scheduled.
Indianapolis police officials held a news conference Tuesday afternoon discussing Dixon’s murder and the arrest of Valadez.
“This is disgusting, it’s disturbing,” IMPD Chief Chris Bailey said during the conference.
“No one deserves to be treated this way in our community and I am so sorry to her family that we’re here today.”
Bailey then touched on the effect this has on the victim’s family.
“This is a family that’s been ripped apart,” he said.
“This woman is gone from the world unnecessarily by an evil act, and I’m glad that we were able to find this individual as quickly as we did so that he didn’t have an opportunity to perpetuate violence further in our community.”
IMPD’s social media accounts posted a photo of a gun seized in relation to the case.
Bailey indicated that more charges were forthcoming in the case and stressed that the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office would make the final charging decision.
“Women, girls, mothers … they have a right to exist freely in our community without fear of something heinous happening to them,” said IMPD Assistant Chief Catherine Cummings. “They have a right to walk, bike, order a rideshare without fearing something bad will happen to them.”
While they insist the murder is an isolated incident, IMPD said ride-share users can always share their location with friends and family and that women should trust their instincts if things feel dangerous.
“Rideshares continue to be an excellent and safe option to use when you’re out in our community,” said Cummings. “This is a family’s worst nightmare. We’re disgusted by these allegations.”
Uber driver admits killing female passenger after raping her
metro
Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus
Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus
Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu State — At least 18 passengers were killed after a massive ancestral tree, locally known as “Ukwu Akpu Awhum,” collapsed onto a commercial 18‑seater bus on Tuesday, during a heavy thunderstorm and rainfall. The bus was en route from Ukehe in Igbo‑Etiti LGA to Enugu metropolis when the tragedy occurred.
Eyewitnesses said the ancient tree fell without warning, crushing the bus and its occupants instantly. “The rain was very heavy, the wind was strong, and we heard a loud crash,” one resident recalled. All passengers were reportedly killed on impact.
READ ALSO:
- Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
- BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
- Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
Local resident Charly Okeke suggested that recent human activity, including tying red and white cloths around the tree trunk for spiritual purposes, may have weakened the tree, contributing to the collapse. The community has been thrown into mourning, as families grapple with the sudden loss.
Emergency responders and local volunteers rushed to the scene, pulling survivors from the wreckage and transporting the injured to nearby hospitals. Authorities are expected to investigate the cause of the collapse, though no official statement has been released by Enugu State authorities as of now.
The tragedy highlights the dangers posed by aged trees along busy roads, especially during periods of torrential rain and strong winds, and underscores the need for public safety measures and regular assessments of roadside trees to prevent similar disasters.
Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus
metro
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State — Tragedy struck early Wednesday morning as a carbon monoxide gas leak at an underground mining site claimed the lives of at least 37 miners and injured more than 20 others. The incident occurred around 6:30 a.m., shortly after workers returned from morning prayers.
According to eyewitness Safiyanu Haruna, survivors and local residents discovered miners unconscious inside the poorly ventilated tunnels. “It’s heartbreaking to wake up to the news that 37 miners, who had been struggling to make ends meet, have died,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
- Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
- Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
The injured miners were immediately transported to a hospital in Wase town for treatment. Authorities and emergency response teams had not yet arrived at the site when the leak occurred, highlighting the dangers of underground mining in poorly regulated areas.
Funeral prayers for the deceased are currently being held in the community, with the Local Government Area chairman reported to have attended. Security forces have sealed off the mining site to prevent further casualties and aid ongoing investigations.
The tragedy underscores the critical need for improved mining safety regulations, particularly in remote areas where miners often work under hazardous conditions with limited safety protocols. Experts warn that carbon monoxide exposure in mines can be deadly within minutes if ventilation and gas detection measures are inadequate.
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
metro
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.
Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.
READ ALSO:
- Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
- Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan
- E‑Transmission Alone Cannot Guarantee Free, Fair Elections – Shehu Sani
The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.
Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.
The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.
The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
-
News1 day agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro1 day agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
metro2 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News1 day agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
Entertainment2 days agoMystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
-
metro2 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
Auto2 days agoAppeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
-
metro1 day agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate


