Politics
We’ll ensure true reconciliation before national convention – APC
The Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee of the All Progressives Congress has said it will not rush into conducting a national convention.
The committee led by Governor Mai Mala Buni said it would ensure genuine reconciliation that would engender enduring peace among aggrieved members of the party before going into a national convention.
It stated this in a statement lasting unity, peace and reconciliation across party ranks
The APC said this in a statement by its Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Yekini Nabena.
It was responding to a report accusing the caretaker committee of tactically seeking an extension of its six-month mandate.
The committee was inaugurated by the APC National Executive Committee NEC in June with a mandate to achieve peace-building, true reconciliation and give a sense of belonging to every member of the party.
The APC must not go into a national convention, and indeed a general election in crisis. We should take it one step at a time and ensure that the ongoing national reconciliation process being undertaken by the CECPC is sustained, successful and continue to yield results
It said, “It is important that the APC conducts its planned national convention to produce the party’s national leadership as a united house. Otherwise, the main aim of constituting the CECPC following the dissolution of the immediate-past National Working Committee (NWC) will be defeated.”
The statement said the Governor Buni-led CECPC had deployed a combination of true reconciliation, consultation and inclusiveness in achieving unity and cohesion in the party.
It stated, “To reposition the party to ensure good governance, Governor Buni proposed the recently-inaugurated tripartite Executive/Legislative/APC Consultative Committee which is ensuring synergy, good governance and accelerated implementation of the Next Level agenda.
“A peacemaker and stabilizing voice, Governor Buni is meeting all leaders, known party groups and interests in order to accommodate all interests. This has resulted in renewed commitment on the part of party members. “Ahead of the planned APC National Convention and indeed the 2023 General Elections, stakeholders should continue to support the CECPC efforts to unite the party in order to make it formidable enough to consolidate on the APCs national governing status and landmark achievements.”
Politics
Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo
Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo
Idanre, Ondo State — At least two people were killed and five others injured on Wednesday after violence broke out during the All Progressives Congress (APC) ward congress in Idanre, Ondo State.
The incident occurred at Odode-Idanre, the headquarters of Idanre Local Government Area, as the ruling party conducted ward congresses across its 203 wards in the state. What was meant to be a routine party exercise quickly descended into chaos when suspected party thugs allegedly invaded the venue.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers opened fire and used machetes on party members, triggering panic and forcing residents and participants to flee. During the violence, a vehicle was set ablaze, while several people sustained serious injuries.
Sources said the Idanre violence may be linked to heightened political tensions from Tuesday’s disruption at the APC state secretariat in Akure, where suspected hoodlums reportedly stormed a stakeholders’ meeting and attacked party leaders. That incident had already raised fears ahead of the ward congresses.
READ ALSO:
- Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
- BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
- Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
Among those targeted in the Idanre attack was Raphael Adetimehin, younger brother of Ade Adetimehin, the APC caretaker chairman in Ondo State. Raphael Adetimehin reportedly sustained machete injuries after attackers allegedly mistook him for his brother. His vehicle was also set on fire before he was rescued and rushed to the General Hospital in Idanre for treatment.
The Ondo State Police Command later confirmed that two persons died from the attack, while three others sustained varying degrees of injuries and are currently receiving medical care. Police said five unidentified individuals were attacked during the violence.
Security operatives, led by the Commissioner of Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) commandant, were deployed to the area and successfully restored calm.
Reacting to the incident, Ade Adetimehin alleged that the violence was politically motivated, accusing supporters of Tajudeen Adefisoye, a former member of the House of Representatives and ally of Lucky Aiyedatiwa, of orchestrating the attack. These allegations have not been independently verified, and no official response has been issued by those named.
Police authorities said investigations are ongoing to identify and apprehend those responsible, as concerns grow over political violence, party congress safety, and rising internal tensions within the ruling party in Ondo State.
Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo
Politics
Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
Lawmakers of the Osun State House of Assembly elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have endorsed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for the 2027 presidential election, while also declaring their support for Governor Ademola Adeleke’s re-election bid in 2026.
The endorsement was announced at a joint meeting of the PDP lawmakers in Osogbo, where they said the decision was driven by what they described as the need for political stability, continuity in governance, and sustained development at both the state and federal levels.
Speaking on behalf of the lawmakers, the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Adewale Egbedun, said the endorsement of President Tinubu was based on his administration’s policies and interventions, which, according to them, have had a positive impact on Osun State and the South-West region.
READ ALSO:
- MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
- Customs Seize Cocaine Worth N1bn Along Nigeria–Benin Corridor
- Security Row: El-Rufai Accuses Ribadu of Procuring Dangerous Chemicals
Egbedun noted that backing President Tinubu for a second term would strengthen federal-state collaboration, especially in the areas of infrastructure development, security, and economic reforms, while also ensuring continued federal presence in Osun.
The lawmakers also unanimously passed a vote of confidence in Governor Adeleke, citing what they described as his people-oriented leadership style, commitment to workers’ welfare, and ongoing projects across key sectors, including education, healthcare, road infrastructure, and local government development.
According to the PDP legislators, Governor Adeleke’s administration has prioritised inclusive governance, fiscal discipline, and the restoration of public confidence in government, adding that these achievements make him deserving of a second term in office.
They dismissed suggestions that endorsing President Tinubu, who belongs to a different political party, contradicts their loyalty to the PDP, arguing that the move reflects political pragmatism and the overriding interest of Osun State.
The lawmakers stressed that their decision does not weaken the PDP in Osun but rather positions the state to benefit from harmonious political alignment between the state and the federal government.
Reaffirming their commitment to the PDP, the legislators said they would continue to work for the party’s success in future elections while supporting leadership choices they believe would advance peace, stability, and development in Osun State and Nigeria at large.
Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
Politics
Ex-APC Chairman Ganduje Discusses Kano Politics, National Leadership Plans
Ex-APC Chairman Ganduje Discusses Kano Politics, National Leadership Plans
Former All Progressives Congress (APC) National Chairman and ex-Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has opened up about life after leaving office, his ongoing projects, and the future of Kano State politics in an exclusive interview.
Ganduje described life after office as less stressful but still busy, noting that he remains actively involved in party politics both in Kano and Abuja. He explained that while the pressures of leadership are gone, politics and governance never truly end. “You can’t just stop, since politics and governance never really end,” he said.
The former governor revealed that he is spending much of his time writing books to keep his mind sharp and contribute to knowledge-based politics. Among his current projects are “Abuja: Evolutionary Development of a City in Nigeria’s Capital Territory,” “Progressive Leadership and Sustainability of Democracy in Nigeria,” and “Progressive Party Ideology and Philosophical Direction.” Ganduje stressed the importance of education, research, and ideology in sustaining democracy and shaping effective governance.
READ ALSO:
- DPO Killed in Katsina Gun Duel With Bandits
- Kannywood Actress Samha Inuwa Jailed for Defacing ₦1,000 Note in Kano
- INEC May Adjust 2027 Election Dates Over Ramadan Concerns
Reflecting on his early life, Ganduje highlighted how knowledge, experience, and patience shaped his political journey. From attending primary school in a remote village to earning a PhD from the University of Ibadan, he emphasized that education and persistence were crucial in achieving his goals. His career spanned roles as local government secretary, commissioner, deputy governor, governor, and APC national chairman, providing him with extensive governance experience from the grassroots to the national level.
On Kano politics, Ganduje expressed pride that his predictions of a progressive return to APC in the state have been realized. He highlighted APC’s success in delivering the highest number of delegates and votes for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu during primaries and defeating the PDP in the general election by over 500,000 votes.
Addressing the Kwankwasiyya Movement and former governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, Ganduje dismissed claims that the movement could challenge APC dominance in Kano. “The Kwankwasiyya Movement will not have any impact. Even though you see large crowds, the APC can mobilize bigger numbers if we choose,” he said, stressing that public sentiment favors APC due to concerns over the use of state resources for national ambitions by opposition leaders.
Ganduje also left the door open for political reconciliation with Kwankwaso, provided they share a common vision for the state and country. “I am ready. Politics is about interests. There are no permanent enemies or friends… What matters is what we want to achieve,” he said.
On the national stage, Ganduje addressed fears that northern Nigeria may not support President Tinubu in 2027, dismissing the notion as wrong. He emphasized that most Northerners accept the rotation of the presidency and are supportive of Tinubu completing his term. “Politics will always have noise, but the reality on the ground is different,” he added.
Ganduje’s reflections highlight the intersection of political strategy, education, and leadership experience in shaping both personal legacy and the future trajectory of Kano State and Nigerian politics.
Ex-APC Chairman Ganduje Discusses Kano Politics, National Leadership Plans
-
News1 day agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
metro1 day agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News24 hours agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
Entertainment2 days agoMystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
-
metro2 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
Auto2 days agoAppeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
-
News2 days agoTeargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives



You must be logged in to post a comment Login