Connect with us

Sports

Wenger Insists Arsenal Are “In Good Shape” Despite Woeful Start To The Season

Published

on

The Gunners, who won three Premier League titles under the Frenchman including an Invincibles honour, are bottom of the pack.

They have lost their first three games of the season, scored no goals and conceded nine, with five of them coming against champions Manchester City.

It comes after a summer of heavy spending, with Mikel Arteta splashing more than £100m on six new players as pressure has grown on the Spaniard.

But Wenger, who has been retired from management since 2018, believes all is not lost in North London.

Speaking to BILD Live [via football.London] , the former Gunners boss said: “Today the club is in good shape.

“They had two tough games [against Chelsea and Man City], the team has potential and I hope they can come back.”

The Gunners are looking to improve on last season’s performance, finishing eighth to miss out on European football for the first time in 26 years.

While they have spent £100m-plus on new players including Martin Odegaard.

Wenger’s absence is being felt, though, as fan and former England cricketer Mark Ramprakash said the club has suffered since his departure.

Speaking to Compare.Bet earlier this week, the 51-year-old said: “It’s interesting you say ‘Since Wenger left’ because there were so many people who were so determined to get rid of Arsene Wenger.

“I guess sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for and the club has never managed to stop that slide out of the top four.

With fans even cheering Man City’s goals in the 5-0 rout, Wenger believes the Gunners have ‘potential’

When you have success in sport, it’s a fragile thing. It’s so hard to create it, but sustaining it is so difficult. In football, with the amount of money flying around, it’s incredibly difficult.

“Wenger did it for so long and we had so many good times as Arsenal fans but now some reality is hitting a little bit and they’ve been struggling.

“I think Arsenal spent some money in the transfer window and we’ve yet to see the impact of that money spent.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Ronaldo says media lies about Man United future

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo has hit out at the “lies” surrounding reports about his future at Manchester United.

The Portugal forward missed United’s pre-season tour to Thailand and Australia due to personal reasons as speculation swirled over whether he would be leaving Old Trafford.

READ ALSO:

It has been reported Ronaldo wants to play Champions League football, but United maintain the 37-year-old is not for sale and remains an integral part of the plans of new boss Erik ten Hag.

In a reply to a fan account on Instagram that referred to a report linking the United frontman to Atletico Madrid, Ronaldo said fans would “know the truth” in a couple of weeks, adding: “The media is telling lies.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Falconets beat Canada, to face the Netherlands in quarter-final

Published

on

The Nigeria U-20 women ‘s team, the Falconets early Thursday morning rounded off their group stage campaign in the ongoing World Cup taking place in Costa Rica in style; beating Canada 3-1 at the Estadio Alajuela Morera Soto.

The Falconets will face the Netherlands in the quarter-final phase of the tournament.

Coach Chris Danjuma had before now relied on late goals to secure slim 1-0 wins over France and the Korea Republic but the game against Canada was a completely different ball game.

It was the Canadian girls that drew the first blood from an error in the Falconets’ defence.

But two goals from the penalty spot by Esther Onyenezide and another goal in the second half by Chioma Olise saw the Falconets cruising to their biggest win so far in the ongoing tournament in Costa Rica.

Coach Danjuma said before the Canada tie that his girls would seek to win even though they had already booked their place in the last eight.

After falling behind to the early Canada goal, Onyenezide, whose vicious curling shot earned all three points against the Korea Republic, drew the Falconets level from the penalty spot in the 24th minute.

Defender Mia Pante who had handled the ball from a Blessing Okpe shot in the box gifted Nigeria a way back into the game.

Onyenezide was on hand to shoot Nigeria into the lead, also from the spot, in the 32nd minute after Simi Awujo’s dangerous play against Mercy Idoko.

As the Nigeria U20s ended the first half 2-1, nothing suggested the Canadians could mount a fightback in the second half, instead, it was the Falconets that increased their lead.

Substitute Chioma Olise got Nigeria’s third goal as the Falconets finished top in Group C with nine points from three games.

With Thursday’s outcome, the Falconets now have a quarter-final date with The Netherlands in Alajuela on Monday.

Continue Reading

Sports

Osimhen scores, taunts racist Verona fans

Published

on

Victor Osimhen

Victor Osimhentaunted racist Hellas Verona fans after he scored his first Serie A goal of the season for Napoli, who fought back from a goal down to win 5-2 at the Stadio Bentegodi stadium on Monday, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.

The Nigerian striker also made a back heel flick assist for Matteo Politano to score Napoli’s fifth goal from 12 yards in the rout.

Kevin Lasagna’s cushioned volley at the back post shot Verona into the lead in the 29th minute, but parity was restored when Kvicha Kvaratskhelia headed in Chucky Lozano’s cross eight minutes later.

Napoli turned it around with a goal almost identical to Verona’s, this time a corner was flicked on by Giovanni Di Lorenzo for Osimhen to score with a flexible attempt at the far post.

After scoring to hand the Partenopei a 2-1 lead in the 46th minute, the 23-year-old kicked the ball into the stands in anger at the Hellas Verona fans, who had been hurling racist abuses and monkey chants at him each time he touched the ball during the encounter.

READ ALSO:

The Nigeria international also mocked the fans by pretending to cry into the camera as he celebrated his goal with his teammates.

The former Lille striker, who was replaced in the 83rd minute of the win by Adam Ounas, was booked for a foul on Koray Guenter in the 54th minute.

Napoli host Monza at the Diego Maradona stadium on Saturday.

Reacting to his side’s win Osimhen said, “It is important for us to start well because we have lost some great players.

“I am very happy for this victory because it was not easy. We have to feel like last year. This victory shows we are on the right track. I don’t care how many goals I score, I will score to help the team but I always put the team first.

“Spalletti trusts me and he tries to encourage me, it is normal to make some mistakes during matches. He also helps me a lot with individual work.”

On being one of the leaders in the team, the 23-year-old said, “It is important that we all have to take a share of the responsibility. I’m in my third year at the club and it is important for me to encourage new ones like Kvaratskhelia. He had predicted my goal two minutes earlier

Continue Reading

Trending