145 killed as bandits attack 23 villages in Plateau - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

145 killed as bandits attack 23 villages in Plateau

Published

on

Chief of Defence Staff, CDS, Maj.-Gen. Christopher Musa

145 killed as bandits attack 23 villages in Plateau

No fewer than 145 persons are said to have been killed in bandits’ attacks on 23 villages in Plateau State.

The assailants reportedly killed 113 persons in 20 villages in Bokkos Local Government Area and 32 in three villages in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area.

It was gathered that the villages were attacked from Saturday night to the early hours of Monday.

The attacks were also said to have left hundreds of people injured and property destroyed.

Areas affected included Ruku, Hurum, Darwat, Mai Yanga Sabo and NTV villages in the Gashish and Ropp districts.

The Transition Committee Chairman of Bokkos Local Government Area, Monday Kassah, confirmed the incident to reporters yesterday.

When contacted for reaction, the spokesman for the state police command, Alabo Alfred, did not respond to text messages sent to him by our correspondent.

But Captain Oya James, spokesperson for Operation Safe Haven, a security taskforce maintaining peace in the state, confirmed the attacks to Daily Trust yesterday.

He, however, said he could not confirm the casualty figures at the moment, but said the situation had been brought under control.

READ ALSO:

“For now, the situation has been brought under control. More reinforcement has been deployed in the affected communities. But I don’t have the figure of casualty at the moment,” James told one of our correspondents.

A humanitarian worker who spoke in confidence said they counted over 180 dead bodies from the attacks.

We’ve recovered 113 bodies – Council chair

The Transition Committee Chairman of Bokkos LGA, Kassah, told journalists yesterday that 113 bodies were recovered from the attacks.

“The attacks were well coordinated, no fewer than 20 different communities were attacked by the bandits.

“As I am talking to you, we have recovered 113 dead bodies from those communities. We have recovered more than three hundred injured; some were taken to hospitals in Jos, some to hospitals in Barkin Ladi and others have been taken to hospitals in Bokkos.

“The security personnel have been doing their best, the difficult terrain reaching those communities has made the security not reaching there on time to prevent those communities,” Kassah stated.

The chairman of Barikin LGA, Danuma Dakil, who also spoke to Daily Trust yesterday, said the attackers killed 32 persons and burnt many houses in three villages in his local government area.

Dakil further stated that the search for more bodies was ongoing.

Attacks barbaric – Gov 

Governor Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang described the attacks as barbaric, brutal and uncalled for.

According to a statement by his Director of Press and Public Affairs, Gyang Bere, the governor directed security agencies to promptly apprehend the attackers and ensure they face the full force of the law.

The governor, who expressed deep concern over the incident, urged communities across the state to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities to security forces for immediate action.

READ ALSO:

He questioned “The impunity of the attackers who inflicted harm on communities, destroyed property and evaded justice.”

The governor assured that proactive measures would be taken to curb attacks on innocent citizens.

He sympathised with affected families, and urged them to find solace in God as the government diligently works to end the “prolonged violence.”

Residents narrate ordeals

An indigene of Darwat community, Friday Maska, told our correspondent that his mother and younger brother were injured in the attack.

Maska said his mother, Rebecca Maska, was pursued into the bush by the attackers and shot, but was lucky to survive.

He said his mother bled for about three hours before help came her way; while his brother, Nanpan Maska, had his hand cut off and head macheted.

He said both his mother and younger brother were rushed to the General Hospital in Barkin Ladi, but were later referred to Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH).

Maska said the assailants operated from 6pm to 11pm.

The Berom Youth Moulders-Association (BYM), under the leadership of Solomon Dalyop Mwantiri Esq, condemned the attack, describing it as an act of terrorism.

The association, in a statement, by its National Publicity Secretary, Rwang Tengwong, said the attack has already led to the complete displacement of thousands of persons.

Tengwong said the attack did not only demonstrate a blatant disregard for human life, but also sought to undermine the peace and unity that are at the core of their values.

He called on the international community to add its voice to the crisis on the Plateau, which has been going on for years.

“On a day meant to celebrate love, compassion, and togetherness, the perpetrators of this dastardly act have brought untold agony, suffering and grief to the affected communities.

“We call on the government and relevant authorities not only to conduct a thorough and impartial investigation into the incident, identify those responsible, and bring them to justice, but to swiftly come up with palliative packages as well as compensation for the victims.

READ ALSO:

“The BYM also urges the government to take immediate and decisive action to prevent further attacks and ensure the safety and security of all citizens regardless of their ethnic or religious background.

“We want to urge all Plateau sons and daughters to put aside their differences and come together to resist elements perpetrating the dastardly acts,” he said.

Not the first time 

Hundreds of people had been killed in Plateau State within this year. Between January and June alone, a total of 201 people were reported killed in 27 attacks in seven local government areas of the state, including Riyom, Bokkos, Jos South, Jos East, Barkin Ladi, Bassa and Mangu, according to a tally by Daily Trust.

Attacks on communities in the state have been ongoing since the ethno-religious crisis broke out in Jos in 2001.

Since then, violence has spread to communities in the state, and there have been clashes between the farmers and the herdsmen with devastating consequences.

Three days ago, 22 persons were killed in attacks on Mangu and Bokkos apart from eight persons that were killed in an attack on Du village of Kwall District, Rigwe Chiefdom, in October.

The National Publicity Secretary, Irigwe Development Association (IDA), Davidson Malison, had said the incident in their communities had been a sad continuation of destruction of lives and properties of the people.

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association (MACBAN), Plateau State Chapter, had also said they had lost many members owing to attacks on them in the latest resurgence of violence.

Take ownership of security, defence chief tells Nigerians 

Meanwhile, the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen. Christopher Musa, has called on Nigerians to take ownership of security challenges in the country.

READ ALSO:

He spoke yesterday at the Defence Headquarters Hospital located at Mogadishu Cantonment, Abuja, when he visited ailing personnel to mark Christmas and his birthday.

Musa, who also called on all Nigerians to have love for and confidence in Nigeria and fight together for its peace and progress, noted that running away from the country is not the solution to the present challenging situation.

He was explaining what he meant in his Christmas message that Nigerians should be united against the common enemies.

“It (Christmas message) entails that all Nigerians should take ownership of the challenges we’re facing as a country. The security challenges, especially, are not armed forces or police challenges or any individual parastatal.

“It is a collective effort for all Nigerians and all Nigerians should put hands together. We cannot do it alone. We need the support of everyone. When you see something, say something, talk as quickly as possible so that measures can be put in place.

“We will continue to seek support from members of the public to take ownership of our challenges. Nigeria is our own. If Nigeria succeeds, we all succeed, if Nigeria fails we all fail and we don’t want Nigeria to fail. So, I call on all Nigerians to give us all the support,” he said.

Musa told journalists that the visit to the hospital was in tune with his leadership concept, which is people-centric, adding that the outreach was to ensure that people, both the security agents and the citizens, felt the impact of love being shared, especially their healthcare.

According to him, it is always good at this period of celebration to come around and see how those who are in hospital who don’t have the ability to celebrate, how they are doing and to wish them well.

“It is for them to always know that we are always with them, we are praying with them and we want them to recover so that they can come back fully to life. We will continue to do that as we have been doing. So this is just not a one off thing, it is something we do regularly,” he added.

Speaking further, the defence chief said those traveling out of the country would not have countries to run to if the indigenes did not develop those countries.

He stated, “We must stay and fight whatever challenge is. Those countries they are running to, stood back and fought and got to where they are. If they had run away, they would not have achieved that for them to go and meet them.”

The CDS, who was flanked by his wife and other principal officers at Defence Headquarters, donated hampers and cash gifts to all the patients in the hospital during the visit.

145 killed as bandits attack 23 villages in Plateau

Daily Trust

metro

EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai
Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai

EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, spent Monday night in detention at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission headquarters in Abuja after hours of interrogation over allegations linked to a multi-billion-naira corruption investigation involving his administration.

El-Rufai arrived at the EFCC headquarters around 10 a.m. on Monday after honouring an invitation and was questioned throughout the day over claims contained in a **2024 report of the Kaduna State House of Assembly. The report accused his government of financial mismanagement, abuse of office, irregular contract awards, and improper loan utilisation between 2015 and 2023. By late Monday night, sources confirmed that he remained in custody.

A senior EFCC official said investigators had been working on the case for nearly a year, explaining that invitations to high-profile suspects are usually issued only after preliminary findings reach an advanced stage. EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale confirmed that El-Rufai honoured the invitation but declined to comment on the substance of the interrogation or disclose the next steps in the investigation.

READ ALSO:

The EFCC probe is anchored on findings by an ad hoc committee of the Kaduna State House of Assembly mandated to review the state’s finances, loans, and contract executions during El-Rufai’s tenure. The committee alleged that several loans were not applied to their stated purposes, claiming that about ₦423 billion was misapplied or unaccounted for, leaving Kaduna State with heavy financial liabilities.

Lawmakers subsequently recommended the prosecution of El-Rufai and senior officials of his administration for alleged money laundering, contract irregularities, and reckless borrowing. The report also cited disputed payments exceeding ₦155 million, the alleged diversion of ₦1.37 billion meant for a light rail project, and the purported laundering of ₦64.8 million by senior aides.

El-Rufai has consistently denied wrongdoing, describing the legislative report as politically motivated and insisting that all loans were lawfully obtained and deployed to projects in infrastructure, education, healthcare, and security across Kaduna State.

In a parallel development, the Federal Government filed criminal charges against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja, accusing him of unlawfully intercepting communications linked to the **National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The three-count charge, filed under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act and the Nigerian Communications Act, alleges that El-Rufai admitted during a **February 13 interview on Arise TV that he and associates listened to phone calls connected to the NSA. Prosecutors argue that the alleged actions amount to illegal interception and failure to report a cybercrime offence, which they say could pose national security risks. No arraignment date has been fixed.

Meanwhile, security sources disclosed that the Department of State Services has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, a lecturer and government critic who went missing in Kaduna.

According to the sources, El-Rufai’s international passport was seized at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, as part of ongoing investigations. Officials said the probe may also extend to social media activities by individuals connected to the case.

El-Rufai has repeatedly denied any involvement in Dadiyata’s disappearance, maintaining that he neither knew the activist personally nor ordered or sanctioned any action against him, and has called for an independent investigation to establish the truth.

EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations

Continue Reading

metro

Troops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations

Published

on

Troops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds in Borno

Troops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have intercepted ₦37 million in cash and several mobile phones suspected to be linked to terrorist financing and coordination during a security operation in Borno State.

The recovery was made at the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Chabbal checkpoint, a strategic location along routes frequently exploited by insurgents in the North-East. During a routine stop-and-search, troops intercepted a vehicle conveying five occupants—three men and two women—and discovered about ₦37 million concealed in bags.

According to the North-East Joint Task Force, multiple mobile phones were also recovered from the suspects. The devices are believed to have been used for terrorist communication, coordination, and funding activities. The suspects and items have been taken into custody for further investigation.

READ ALSO:

The interception forms part of sustained efforts to dismantle financial networks sustaining insurgent operations, with the military intensifying checks along key transit corridors to disrupt terror funding pipelines.

In a related operation, troops of Sector 1, working with local vigilante forces, carried out a night ambush along a known crossing route used by insurgents moving from Cameroon into Nigeria. Elements of the Islamic State West Africa Province encountered heavy firepower, retreated, and abandoned logistics supplies believed to be intended for their operations.

The military said the coordinated actions were aimed at blocking both the movement and financing of terrorist groups, adding that the high command has commended the troops for vigilance and professionalism, and reaffirmed commitment to restoring peace and stability in the North-East.

Troops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations

Continue Reading

metro

Police Arrest 13 as Armed Robbers Engage Officers in Fierce Gun Battle in Abuja

Published

on

FCT Police Commissioner, CP Miller G. Dantawaye
FCT Police Commissioner, CP Miller G. Dantawaye

Police Arrest 13 as Armed Robbers Engage Officers in Fierce Gun Battle in Abuja

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested 13 suspected members of a criminal syndicate responsible for a wave of violent armed robberies across Federal Capital Territory, following intense gun battles in multiple locations within the nation’s capital.

The suspects were linked to coordinated robberies in Gwagwalada, Apo, Waru, Jahi, Wuse, and other parts of Abuja, with investigations revealing that the same gang had earlier carried out attacks in Asokoro, Mabuchi, and Utako, targeting hotels, residential apartments, and unsuspecting residents.

Confirming the development, the FCT Commissioner of Police, Miller G. Dantawaye, said the arrests followed credible intelligence that led operatives to a criminal hideout in Durumi, an Abuja suburb notorious for criminal activity.

According to the police chief, operatives stormed the hideout after sustained surveillance but were met with heavy gunfire from the suspects. The police team responded decisively, overpowering the gang and arresting eight suspects during the initial exchange.

READ ALSO:

The operation was led by ACP Victor O. Godfrey, commander of the Scorpion Squad, a tactical unit of the FCT Police Command tasked with handling high-risk crime and armed robbery cases.

The command explained that the Scorpion Squad had earlier conducted intelligence-led operations in Apo-Waru and Durumi following multiple complaints from victims of violent robberies in Asokoro, Mabuchi, and Utako.

Further follow-up operations led operatives to a second hideout in Apo-Waru, where another gun duel occurred. Five additional suspects were arrested at the location, bringing the total number of suspects in custody to 13.

Police said the suspects were positively identified using CCTV footage obtained from one of their recent robbery operations, providing critical evidence linking them to multiple crimes across the FCT.

Preliminary investigations revealed that the syndicate was behind several high-profile robberies, including an attack on a hotel in Gwagwalada, where victims were dispossessed of cash, foreign currency, and mobile phones, while a vigilante operative was disarmed.

Another incident linked to the gang was a robbery at a Travel Lodge in Wuse Zone 6, during which a police officer sustained serious injuries, and a vehicle was stolen. The suspects were also implicated in a robbery at a residential apartment in Jahi, affecting residents, including security aides attached to the Executive Governor of Kebbi State.

The 13 suspects were identified as Yahaya Hassan, Umar Shuaibu, Adamu Ibrahim, Abubakar Sani, Abdullazeez Usain, Aliyu Aminu, Aliyu Adam, Ibrahim Usman, Suleiman Yawata, Mohammed Ali, Sani Hamza, and Hassan Abba.

Items recovered from the suspects include a grey Toyota Corolla (2015 model) with registration number ABC 200 GP, one AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated rifle, one Jericho 941 pistol, 7.62×39mm ammunition, seven rounds of 9mm live ammunition, assorted iPhones, $100 in one-dollar denominations, and assorted charms.

CP Dantawaye said investigations are ongoing to identify other members of the syndicate and trace the source of the weapons. He added that the suspects would be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigations.

The police commissioner reaffirmed the command’s commitment to protecting lives and property in Abuja and urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities through the command’s emergency lines: 08032003913 and 08061581938.

Police Arrest 13 as Armed Robbers Engage Officers in Fierce Gun Battle in Abuja

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending