300 hoodlums invaded NPA headquarters, destroyed 60 vehicles – MD – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

300 hoodlums invaded NPA headquarters, destroyed 60 vehicles – MD

Published

on

  • Stole Toyota Prado SUV, Hilux patrol van
  • Burnt 27 vehicles, vandalised 33 others

The Managing Director of the Nigerian Ports Authority, Hadiza Bala-Usman, has disclosed that those who attacked the corporate headquarters of the agency in Lagos recently were about 300 hoodlums and they destroyed 60 vehicles.

She said the hoodlums who forced their way into her office, were bent on grounding port operations at Tin-Can, Apapa and Calabar seaports as they vandalised some facilities before setting fire to 27 vehicles and a section of the NPA building.

She spoke in Lagos after conducting some journalists round some of the areas torched by the rampaging urchins.

Usman said, “The NPA regrets the attack on its 26/28 Marina Road, Lagos, corporate headquarters and the Tin can Island Port by unknown persons on Wednesday October 21st and Tuesday October 20th, 2020 respectively.

“The attack on the Tin can Island Port commenced at 9:45am on Tuesday October 20th 2020. The hoodlums made an attempt to forcefully gain access into the port, attacked the administrative building and set ablaze a truck which was evacuating cargo. It took the combined efforts of officers of the port authority police, the police mobile force and the Nigerian Customs Service to repel the attack.

“The attackers at the headquarters numbering over 300 persons, gained access into the premises at 8:42am on Wednesday October 21st 2020 from the outer Broad Street wing brandishing daggers, sticks and cutlasses.

“After attacking, disarming and chasing the security personnel on duty out of the headquarters premises, the attackers proceeded to burn and vandalise several vehicles belonging to the Authority and some members of staff. They thereafter set a wing of the office building on fire.”

The NPA MD said after the dust had settled, it was discovered that the invaders also went away with a Toyota Prado SUV and a Hilux patrol van

An assessment of the extent of damage, she also said, showed that apart from the annex wing that was burnt, many offices were vandalised, while computers, printers, water dispensers and other electronic devices were looted.

“A total of twenty-seven (27) vehicles, including cars, utility vehicles, pick up vans and staff buses were set on fire, while thirty-three (33) other vehicles, twenty-two of which belong to members of staff were vandalised. A Toyota Prado SUV, a Bajaj Motorcycle and one Hilux patrol van were also stolen from the premises.”

She however stated that the Nigerian military invited to save the situation, successfully dispersed the hoodlums and reclaimed possession of the premises as well as secured other port facilities.

“Upon knowledge of the attack, officers of the Nigerian Armed Forces were invited and deployed on the premises. They successfully dispersed the hoodlums and reclaimed possession of the premises following which the authority’s firemen were able to gain access into the building and put out the raging fire.”

She, however, declared that the situation had not in any way affected operations of the authority, adding, “We have continued to render our services unhindered.”

She recalled that the hoodlums had earlier threatened to burn down the Tin-Can Island and Apapa port before they were repelled by officers of the Nigeria Customs Service and mobile police officers.

Usman said the NPA would not have to suffer much of the huge loss as “all assets of the authority are comprehensively insured, and insurers are currently undergoing an assessment of the damages.”

She expressed gratitude to those who quickly responded to the issue and was happy that no life was lost especially because “some members of staff who were on critical duties were in the building at the time of the attack.”

“The authority recognises the gallantry of men of the Nigerian Armed Forces and our firemen whose intervention restored normalcy. We also appreciate the concerns of all stakeholders and citizens who have reached out with kind words of support and encouragement,” she said.

News

BREAKING: Tinubu appoints new Head of Service

Published

on

Mrs. Didi Esther Walson-Jack

BREAKING: Tinubu appoints new Head of Service

President Bola Tinubu has approved the appointment of Mrs. Didi Esther Walson-Jack as the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (HoCSF), with effect from August 14, 2024.

According to a statement by Presidential spokesman, Ajuri Ngelale, on Wednesday night, Mrs. Walson-Jack was appointed as Federal Permanent Secretary in 2017 and had served in several Ministries.

READ ALSO:

“The new appointee will take over from the incumbent Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Dr. Folasade Yemi-Esan, who is due to retire on August 13, 2024.

“President Tinubu, while thanking the outgoing Head of Service for her stewardship, tasks the incoming Head of Service to discharge her duties with innovative flair, integrity, and stringent adherence to the extant rules and regulations of the Civil Service of the Federation,” he added.

BREAKING: Tinubu appoints new Head of Service

Continue Reading

News

Gov Zulum begs Nigerians not to stage nationwide protests

Published

on

Borno State governor, Babagana Umara Zulum

Gov Zulum begs Nigerians not to stage nationwide protests

Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State has appealed to residents of Borno and Nigerians to refrain from participating in the proposed nationwide protests slated for next month.

During a stakeholders’ town hall meeting held at the Government House in Maiduguri on Wednesday, Zulum emphasized the importance of engaging in constructive dialogue instead of protests, which he believes may lead to violence and distractions. He highlighted the severe impact of the 13-year insurgency conflicts on the state and noted that protests would not be the best approach to maintaining the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Borno.

“Any break of law and order will be a disaster for us. I am appealing to the people, not only of Borno State but all Nigerians, to shun any protests that will bring hardship to Nigerians. Let us engage in positive dialogues. The Federal and state governments are doing everything possible to reduce the hardships people face in Nigeria,” Zulum said.

READ ALSO:

He stated, “The Government of Borno State and its people have been experiencing insurgency for the past 13 years, but now peace has gradually returned to Borno State, and we must maintain this peace.”

Zulum expressed satisfaction that many stakeholders had committed not to join the protests and assured that the government of Borno State would follow up to ensure these commitments are upheld.

The town hall meeting was attended by heads of security agencies, traditional rulers, the Network of Civil Society Organizations, Young Peace Advocates, the Nigerian Union of Journalists, and the Nigerian Bar Association. Other attendees included representatives from the Civilian Joint Task Force, the Christian Association of Nigeria, Jammatul Nasir Islam, student and youth groups, women’s groups, traders, people living with disabilities, and the Nigeria Labour Congress.

Gov Zulum begs Nigerians not to stage nationwide protests

Continue Reading

News

401 Osun LG caretaker leaders quit after S’Court judgment

Published

on

401 Osun LG caretaker leaders quit after S’Court judgment

Four hundred and one chairmen and members of caretaker committees running Local Government Areas and Local Council Development Areas in Osun State have all resigned their positions.

Those that resigned include; 69 caretaker chairmen and 332 caretaker members drawn from each of the 332 wards in the state.

Letters of resignation of the chairmen circulated on social media on Wednesday but a clear reason behind their resignation was not given.

In one of the letters seen by PUNCH, the caretaker chairman of Odo-Otin local government area, Okuku, Adewale Adeyinka, said he was quitting office to pursue other opportunities to serve his people.

The letter addressed to Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, dated July 17, 2024, partly read,  “It is with a sense of duty and respect for our democratic principles that I write to tender my resignation from my position as Chairman of the Caretaker Committee for Odo-Otin Local Government, effective immediately.

READ ALSO:

“As I move on to pursue further opportunities to serve my people, I want to assure you that the good work we have started will not end.

“I remain committed to supporting the growth and development of Odo-Otin Local Government in any capacity I can.”

When contacted for comment on Wednesday, the immediate past chairman of the Association of Local Government of Nigeria in Osun State, Sarafadeen Awotunde, said all the 69 caretaker chairmen and 332 members drawn from different wards across the state have resigned their positions since the Supreme Court has declared them as illegal office occupants.

Asked to confirm the resignation of the 332 caretaker members and the chairmen, Awotunde said, “Since we already called them caretaker, I don’t think there is any appropriate word to use than that they resigned. Nobody sacked them.

“Caretakers have temporary time to spend. It means their time is over. If you look at it critically, you will see that the Supreme Court has given a verdict. So whatever is called caretaker now is illegal. So, there is nothing like a caretaker in Nigeria again.”

In Osun State, there are 30 local government areas, 32 local council development authorities, 6 area councils and one administrative office.

The last set of caretaker committee chairmen and members were appointed by Adeleke in August 2023 and their tenure of office was extended by 6 months in February 2024.

401 Osun LG caretaker leaders quit after S’Court judgment

Continue Reading

Trending