333 Katsina schoolboys still missing, says Governor Masari as parents protest – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

333 Katsina schoolboys still missing, says Governor Masari as parents protest

Published

on

Governor Aminu Masari of Katsina State has said 333 students are still missing after an attack on Government Science Secondary School, Kankara in the state.

He gave the number when a Federal Government delegation led by National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno, visited him on Sunday.

Gunmen had invaded the school on Friday night, shooting into the air to scare away people in the area, giving them the opportunity to abduct many students.

Some people including parents of the abducted students took to protest on Sunday over the abduction and demanded immediate rescue of their children.

This came as Northern Governors Forum (NGF) condemned the Saturday’s attack by bandits on the school, describing the development as “unfortunate, regrettable and intolerable”.

The school is said to have a population of around 800 students. The police said when the gunmen attacked the school; some of the students scaled the fence to escape.

Spokesman for the Katsina Police Command, Isah Gambo, had earlier said 200 students were rescued as of Saturday morning.

On Saturday evening, Spokesman for President Muhammadu Buhari, Garba Shehu, said the armed forces had located the hideout of the bandits in a forest.

The president directed the security agencies to ensure the rescue of the abducted students and urged parents whose children fled home during the attack to notify the school.

The protesters in Katsina on Sunday demanded the immediate rescue of students abducted by bandits.

The protest was led by a woman who identified herself as one of the mothers of the abducted students.

They went around the school’s premises and some parts of the town with placards showing messages such as ‘Government must speak out’, ‘We want our children back’ and ‘We want security in Kankara’.

The Northern Governors Forum also condemned the attack and said through their Chairman and Governor of Plateau State, Simon Lalong, in a statement signed by his Director of Press, Dr Simon Macham, that they remained solidly behind the security agencies in the pursuit of the bandits to ensure that normalcy was restored and the abducted students rescued.

They appreciated the directive by President Muhammadu Buhari to the security forces to deploy every available resource needed to deal with the situation.

They also expressed solidarity with the Governor of Katsina State, Aminu Bello Masari, the government and people of the state and urged that everything possible should be done to ensure that no student was left behind in the bandits’ captivity or harmed

Lalong said the prayers of the forum were with the families of the students, the school authorities and called on the citizens to volunteer useful information to the security agencies and relevant government bodies to assist in the quick arrest of the situation.

Coalition of Northern Groups had earlier threatened to mobilise students and youths to go on protest in if the abducted students were not rescued on time.

Chairman of the North-West zone of the group, Jamiu Aliyu, who addressed a press conference in Katsina, said, “We condemn in totality this barbaric act and call for the immediate arrest and prosecution of the culprits, we equally stress the inability of the government to protect those young, innocent, vibrant students from this horrible attack as uncalled for.

“Failure of the government to rescue the missing students within a shortest period of time, CNG will not hesitate to mobilize hundreds of thousands on the streets of Katsina state for a continuous protest, until the students are fully rescued, even if it’s going to cost our lives.”

Meanwhile, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has ordered the deployment of additional forces to Katsina to assist in the rescue operations.

“The deployment, which includes personnel from the Police Tactical Squads and crack detectives from the Force Intelligence Bureau, will provide investigative support to the Katsina State Police Command,” a statement by the Police spokesman, Frank Mba, said.

metro

Police Inspector gunned down in Rivers days after 2Baba’s killing

Published

on

Police Inspector gunned down in Rivers days after 2Baba’s killing

The Rivers State Police Command said an Inspector was killed by gunmen who ambushed and attacked its men on a stop and search duty at the Eliozu Flyover in Obio/Akpo Local Government Area of the state on Wednesday night.

The spokesperson of the command, Grace Iringe-Koko, disclosed this in a statement issued on Thursday.

Iringe-Koko said the gunmen who were spotted in a carton-colored Sienna bus with fully tinted glasses drove in from the Rumuodumaya axis, near Port Harcourt where they launched the offensive which claimed the officer’s life.

She, however, said the team rose to the occasion and returned fire and neutralise one of the miscreants who wore masks, but that other gang members escaped by the whisker.

The statement reads, “We are deeply saddened to announce a heinous incident that occurred on 21st February 2024, involving an attack on policemen attached to Operation Sting of the Rivers State Police Command.

“At approximately 2145hrs, while conducting routine stop-and-search at Eliozu flyover, the officers were ambushed by unidentified hoodlums operating in a carton-colored Sienna bus, with fully tinted glasses.

“The registration number of the vehicle remains unknown at this time.

READ ALSO:

“The assailants drove in from the Rumuodumaya axis, and opened fire on the police team, resulting in the tragic loss of one Inspector who valiantly gave his life in the line of duty.

“Undeterred, the police team responded with bravery, engaging the attackers and managing to neutralise one of them with a mask on his face, while the others managed to escape, potentially sustaining gunshot wounds.

“The command has launched a thorough investigation into this despicable act and has already identified the group responsible.

“Rest assured, we will relentlessly pursue these criminals and bring them to justice. No amount of intimidation will hinder our officers’ unwavering commitment to safeguarding the lives and property of the citizens.”

While noting that such acts of aggression against security forces detrimentally impact the safety and security of our entire society, she stressed that the command remains resolute in its duty to maintain peace and protect the well-being of the populace.

“The Commissioner of Police, Olatunji Disu, reiterates unequivocally that those who perpetrate violence against policemen or any citizen will face the full weight of the law.

READ ALSO:

“We urge all law-abiding citizens to continue with their daily activities without panic, as we are determined to uphold our mandate of preserving lives and property in the face of such challenges.

“We extend our deepest condolences to the family and colleagues of the fallen inspector, and we assure them that his sacrifice will not be in vain. Our resolve to serve and protect remains unwavering as we stand together against those who seek to disrupt the peace and harmony of our society.”

Last year, a former Divisional Police Officer of Ahoada Division, Bako Angbashim, was ambushed and killed by a cult gang.

Since the death of the cop, the command has been on the trail of the alleged mastermind of Angbasim’s killing, one Gift Okpara, also known as 2Baba, with constant land and air bombardments in the various hideouts of the Iceland cult leader, even as some of his lieutenants were gunned down previously.

However, on Monday, Grace Iringe-Koko, said intelligence reports revealed that the wanted cult kingpin, 2Baba, was killed in a recent joint security raid in the Idu-Ekpeye community, Ahiada East LGA.

Police Inspector gunned down in Rivers days after 2Baba’s killing

Continue Reading

metro

Troops kill wanted terrorist leader, Boderi Isyaku, in Kaduna

Published

on

Boderi Isyaku

Troops kill wanted terrorist leader, Boderi Isyaku, in Kaduna

Troops of the Nigerian Army have shot dead a notorious terrorist leader, Boderi Isyaku, during a gun duel between troops and the bandits around Bada/Riyawa general areas of Chikun and Igabi Local Government Areas of Kaduna State.

Samuel Aruwan, the Overseeing Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Kaduna State, , in a release obtained by on Thursday confirmed the development, adding that it was Boderi who plotted and executed the 11th March 2021 abduction of 39 students of the Federal College of Forestry Mechanization, Afaka, Igabi LGA.

The terrorists leader was also the mastermind of the attack on the Afaka campus of the Nigerian Defence Academy, Igabi Local Government Area where two officers were killed and another abducted.

He said, “Stemming from consistent support to security forces by Kaduna State Governor, Senator Uba Sani, a major breakthrough has been recorded in Nigeria’s fight against banditry and terrorism. The notorious bandit, insurgent and ruthless killer, Boderi Isyaku, has been neutralized in a gun duel alongside some of his fighters, by troops of the Nigerian Army, around Bada/Riyawa general areas of Chikun and Igabi LGAs.

“This feat was confirmed to the Kaduna State Government by security forces carrying out internal security operations and diligent checks from human intelligence sources.

READ ALSO:

“Boderi, as he was simply known, had for nearly a decade propagated a reign of fear, death and destruction in Kaduna State and neighboring Niger State, with a trademark of brutal attacks, mass abductions and cruel, relentless killing. His elimination comes as the culmination of tireless efforts by dedicated troops committed to restoring peace and security in the region. The General Officer Commanding, 1 Division, Nigerian Army (and Force Commander, Operation Whirl Punch) Major General VU Okoro, coordinated the operation through meticulous planning and intelligence.

“The troops on Wednesday night, came in contact with Boderi and his fighters around Bada general area of Chikun LGA. Despite the terrorists’ well-fortified position, the troops laid a successful ambush. Boderi and his associates walked into the trap, and were cornered.

“In the ensuing confrontation, Boderi chose to resist the troops and engaged them in a fierce firefight. He was ultimately subdued, and his reign of terror ended in a burst of bullets and eternal ignominy. Two of his associates were likewise neutralized. After the operation, the troops recovered two AK47 rifles, 300 rounds of ammunition, nine AK47 magazines, one magazine carrier, one Baofeng radio set and five motorcycles.

“Boderi was involved in a range of deadly attacks spanning Sabon Birni, Rigasa, Buruku, Gwagwada, Rijana and Kateri general areas, the Kaduna-Abuja Road, the Kaduna-Birnin Gwari Road, as well as Shiroro, Alawa, and Mangoro general areas of neighbouring Niger State. His activities included vast and elaborate operations in cattle rustling and gunrunning. He was also known to have built a close rapport with terrorist groups, collaborating with them towards establishing footholds in these areas. Recent intelligence reports revealed his plans to attack a school in his sphere of operation. Those plans have been thankfully truncated.

“It was Boderi who plotted and executed the 11th March 2021 abduction of 39 students of the Federal College of Forestry Mechanization, Afaka, Igabi LGA. This high-profile kidnapping generated shock waves and massive panic around the country, as dozens of young students were whisked away and their families left to deal with unimaginable turmoil.

“On the 24th of August 2021, Boderi masterminded another deadly attack, this time on the Afaka campus of the Nigerian Defence Academy, Igabi LGA. Two officers were killed and another abducted. Weeks later, on 14th September 2021, Boderi led his gang of bandits in the kidnapping of the Emir of Bungudu, Alhaji Hassan Atto, around Dutse village, Chikun LGA. The Emir’s Police Detail was killed.”

Troops kill wanted terrorist leader, Boderi Isyaku, in Kaduna

Continue Reading

metro

Man ‘machetes’ lover for failing to show up on Valentine’s Day after collecting N7,000

Published

on

Man ‘machetes’ lover for failing to show up on Valentine’s Day after collecting N7,000

The police command in Cross River on Thursday paraded a 30-year-old man who allegedly macheted his lover for failing to show up in his house on Valentine’s Day.

The police alleged that Amber Ubung carried out the act when his lover, Blessing Onawu, 25, reneged on her promise to spend the Valentine night with him after collecting N7,000 from him to dress her hair.

The state Commissioner of Police, Mr Gyogon Grimah, told newsmen in Calabar that the incident happened at Okuni in Ikom Local Government Area.

READ ALSO:

“After waiting and the said lady did not show up, the suspect, Ubung, armed himself with a machete, went to the house of Onawu, attacked and gave her several machete cuts all over her body with the intent to kill her.

“In an attempt by the victim’s mother to rescue her, he used the same machete to inflict injuries on her.

“A team of policemen were mobilised to the scene, and the suspect was arrested with the machete.

“The suspect was transferred to SCID for further investigation and will be charged to court as soon as investigation is concluded,” he said.

The commissioner also said that the victim and her mother were receiving treatment in different hospitals.

Man ‘machetes’ lover for failing to show up on Valentine’s Day after collecting N7,000

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content