Railway
NRC targets moving 100 containers daily from Lagos to Kaduna, Kano by rail
NRC targets moving 100 containers daily from Lagos to Kaduna, Kano by rail
There are plans to commence movement of containers by rail soon from Lagos port to Kaduna by rail with an initial target of 50 to 100 containers daily.
Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, Dr Kayode Opeifa, disclosed this when he received the management team of the ICNL, led by the Managing Director, Mr Omotayo Dada, at the corporation’s headquarters, Ebute Metta, Lagos, on Tuesday.
Only recently, the corporation re-launched the rail cargo train from Apapa port Lagos to Moniya container terminal deport in Ibadan, Oyo State, following a partnership deal with APMT.
The NRC MD had earlier paid a visit to ICNL headquarters in Kaduna, which paved the way for discussion on the resumption of container movement by rail to Kaduna, according to a statement by the corporation.
Opeifa said the corporation was willing to partner with major movers of large containers from across the country.
He said the corporation would continue to design products for companies willing to use the rail to move its cargoes.
He noted that with the ICNL partnership, the corporation hopes to move additional 50 to 100 containers per day from Lagos to Kano via Apapa, Ijoko, Ilorin, Minna and Kaduna.

L-R: Managing Director, Nigerian Railway Corporation, Dr Kayode Opeifa; Managing Director, Inland Containers Nigeria Ltd, Mr Omotayo Dada, and the Head of Commercial Services, Mrs Odetunde King Abigail, during the courtesy call on the NRC MD…on Tuesday.
Earlier, the Director of Operations and Commercial of the corporation, Mr Akin Osinowo, said the corporation was in talks with many manufacturers, including the Dangote Group of Companies and BUA, among others.
He added that the NRC still continues to service Lafarge, taking cement consignments from Ewekoro to Osogbo and Ilorin.
He however said any company or terminal operator partnering with it is meant to add value to rail movement by using their size and status to prospect new customers in order to boost the railway’s haulage capacity.
He said the ICNL is a long standing customer of the corporation, adding that some of the factors that led to the stoppage of cargo movement especially on the narrow gauge are being addressed.
He said issues such as insecurity, especially between Minna and Kaduna, and the washouts of several portions of the rail tracks, among others, were being aggressively addressed either by the corporation’s team of engineers or by the Federal Government.
The NRC management and that of ICNL expressed commitment to continue their engagement and draw a road map for quick commencement of container freight to as far as to Kaduna and Kano on the western line.
Entertainment
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
A team of leading Nigerian artistes and entertainment executives has paid a courtesy visit to the Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Kayode Opeifa, ahead of the 2026 Valentine Love Train experience.
The delegation included celebrated musician Sunny Neji, Managing Director of Ojez Entertainment Limited, Joseph Odobeatu, and veteran vocalist Yinka Davies.
The high-profile visit formed part of final preparations for the Valentine-themed train ride scheduled for Saturday, February 14, 2026, at the Mobolaji Johnson Train Station.
Dr. Opeifa received the artistes and commended the creative industry for choosing the national rail system as the venue for the annual Valentine event. He noted that the partnership reflects growing public confidence in the corporation’s safety standards, operational improvements, and renewed focus on customer experience.
READ ALSO:
- 2027 General Elections: INEC Announces February 20 for Presidential Poll
- EFCC Nabs Three in Borno Over Viral ₦500 Naira Mutilation Video
- Omokri Accuses El-Rufai of Rights Abuses During Kaduna Governorship
“The 2026 edition aims to deliver an unforgettable experience while deepening public engagement with the rail service,” Opeifa said, reaffirming the NRC’s commitment to providing secure and efficient transport for passengers during special events.
Organisers disclosed that this year’s edition will feature an expanded entertainment lineup, including performances and appearances by Charles Inojie, Yinka Davies, Sunny Neji, and Segun Arinze. Guests are expected to enjoy live music, comedy, a couple’s game show, fashion showcases, and special performances throughout the Lagos–Ibadan–Lagos train ride, culminating in a Valentine banquet ball.
The Valentine Love Train has in recent years become a fixture on the NRC’s festive calendar, attracting couples, families, and leisure seekers with its blend of travel, romance, and entertainment. The initiative also aligns with ongoing efforts by the corporation to promote rail transportation as a viable and enjoyable alternative for intercity travel.
With final logistics being fine-tuned, organisers say the 2026 edition promises to combine safety, comfort, and premium entertainment for participants.
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
Railway
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
The Lagos State Government has taken steps to address persistent flooding within the Ebute-Meta railway corridor and adjoining communities with the construction of a major stormwater drainage channel in collaboration with the Nigerian Railway Corporation.
The NRC said the state government had awarded a contract for the construction of the Carter-Railway Channel, also known as System 4, aimed at deflooding the railway compound as well as parts of Olaleye and neighbouring areas within Lagos Mainland Local Government Area.
The reinforced concrete drainage channel will run from Murtala Muhammed Way in Ebute-Meta through the railway corridor to a discharge point at Iponri on Western Avenue.
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting held at the railway premises, the Director of Drainage Services at the Lagos State Ministry of Environment and Water Resources, Engr.
READ ALSO:
- Outrage Mounts Over ‘Ministry of Sex’ Proposal Ahead of General Election
- Nollywood in Mourning as Family Confirms Death of Actress Aunty Ajara
- Kwankwaso Condemns Kwara Massacre, Calls for Strong Federal Response to Terrorism
Adedapo Ajadi, said the project would permanently address the perennial flooding that has affected residents, institutions and businesses in the area for years. He added that construction work is expected to last about 18 months and urged stakeholders to cooperate with contractors to ensure smooth execution.
Stakeholders at the meeting included representatives of St Saviour’s School, NTA Channel 10, the Railway Museum, Federal Medical Centre Ebute-Meta, CCECC quarters, churches, mosques, as well as industrial and small business operators within the railway corridor.
Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, Dr Kayode Opeifa, described the intervention as timely, assuring that the corporation would give full support to the multi-billion-naira project.
He noted that the infrastructure, when completed, would significantly reduce flooding and improve safety within the railway environment and neighbouring communities.
Some stakeholders welcomed the development, saying annual flooding had disrupted academic, medical and commercial activities in the area and posed risks to lives and property.
Officials of the Lagos State Government and the NRC later carried out a joint inspection of the proposed corridor to assess the alignment and identify areas that may be affected before construction begins.
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
Railway
Excited passengers hail FG as 50% yuletide train fare cut sparks nationwide rush
Excited passengers hail FG as 50% yuletide train fare cut sparks nationwide rush
Excitement swept through major railway stations across the country on Tuesday and Wednesday as thousands of passengers turned out to enjoy the Federal Government’s 50 percent yuletide train fare reduction, with many openly praising the initiative as a major relief amid rising transport costs.
From the Lagos–Ibadan and Abuja–Kaduna standard gauge corridors to key narrow gauge routes, passengers arrived early, smiling, cheering and expressing gratitude to the government for what they described as a “timely Christmas gift.”
Several train services departed with near-full capacity as Nigerians seized the opportunity to travel cheaply to reunite with family and loved ones for the Christmas and New Year celebrations.
The discounted festive rail service, approved by the Federal Government and implemented by the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), runs from Tuesday, December 23, 2025, to Sunday, January 4, 2026, offering passengers a 50 percent reduction on fares nationwide.
Speaking at various stations, passengers said the fare cut had significantly eased the financial burden of holiday travel, especially for families and group travellers.
Many described the initiative as people-centred and compassionate, noting that it allowed them to travel safely and comfortably at a time when road transport costs have surged.
“I never imagined I would travel this cheap during Christmas,” a passenger at the Lagos terminus said. “This is a big relief. The government has really tried, and we are grateful.”
Confirming the successful commencement of the programme, the NRC Chief Public Relations Officer, Callistus Unyimadu, said the turnout across major routes showed strong public acceptance of the initiative, adding that early bookings reflected overwhelming passenger interest.
The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NRC, Dr Kayode Opeifa, assured passengers that the corporation was fully prepared to sustain safe, efficient and customer-friendly services throughout the festive period.
He said enhanced security, safety and customer service measures had been put in place across stations and onboard trains to manage the increased traffic resulting from the fare reduction.
The NRC noted that both standard gauge and narrow gauge services are fully operational, advising passengers on standard gauge routes to continue using NRC-approved online booking platforms, while narrow gauge passengers can purchase tickets directly at designated railway stations.
The 50 percent yuletide train fare cut is part of the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, aimed at reducing transportation costs, promoting inclusive mobility and encouraging rail transport as a safer and more reliable option during peak travel seasons.
As the festive rush continues, the NRC urged passengers to cooperate with railway officials and comply with travel guidelines to ensure smooth and hitch-free journeys throughout the discount period.
If you want, I can make it more emotional, more political, or more populist depending on the platform (Vanguard, Punch-style, or government-leaning tone).
Excited passengers hail FG as 50% yuletide train fare cut sparks nationwide rush
-
Education1 day agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News1 day agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro2 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
News1 day agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro2 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
metro1 day agoUS Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop
-
metro7 hours agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
metro1 day agoArgungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu


