Brazil police thwart bomb attack on Lady Gaga concert - Newstrends
Connect with us

International

Brazil police thwart bomb attack on Lady Gaga concert

Published

on

Brazil police thwart bomb attack on Lady Gaga concert

Brazilian police said they thwarted a bomb attack planned for Lady Gaga’s concert on Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday.

The Civil Police of Rio de Janeiro state, in co-ordination with the justice ministry, said suspects had recruited participants to carry out attacks using improvised explosives and the plan was aimed at gaining notoriety on social media.

The person responsible for the plan and a teenager were arrested, the police said.

Lady Gaga’s team said they learned about the bomb threat only from media reports the morning after the gig. A crowd of more than two million people gathered for the concert, which was free to attend.

Police said the group that planned the attack had been spreading hate speech, mainly against children, adolescents and the LGBTQ+ community.

The alleged mastermind was arrested for illegal possession of a firearm in the southern state of Rio Grande do Sul, while the teenager was detained for storing child pornography in Rio.

Those responsible were also promoting the radicalisation of teenagers, including self-harm and violent content “as a form of belonging and challenge among young people”.

READ ALSO:

A spokesperson for Lady Gaga told The Hollywood Reporter: “We learned about this alleged threat via media reports this morning.

“Prior to and during the show, there were no known safety concerns, nor any communication from the police or authorities to Lady Gaga regarding any potential risks.”

The justice ministry said the suspects had identified themselves as Lady Gaga fans, known widely as “Little Monsters”.

Police issued search warrants across the states of Rio de Janeiro, Mato Grosso, Rio Grande do Sul and Sao Paulo, and electronic devices and other materials were seized.

“Operation Fake Monster” was launched following a tip-off from Rio state police intelligence, which uncovered online groups encouraging violence among teenagers using coded language and extremist symbolism.

The concert was paid for by the city in an attempt to revitalise Rio’s economy, with expectations it could bring in $100m (£75m).

In a massive security operation, 5,000 officers were deployed and attendees had to pass through metal detectors. Drones and facial recognition cameras were also used to police the event.

Lady Gaga, who last performed in Brazil in 2012, took the stage as part of a tour to promote her eighth album, Mayhem.

The singer wore Brazil-themed costumes for some of her acts, with outfits inspired by the national football team.

“You waited for more than 10 years for me,” an emotional Lady Gaga told the huge crowd, holding out a Brazilian flag.

Brazil police thwart bomb attack on Lady Gaga concert

BBC

Loading

International

Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again

Published

on

Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again

Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again

Tensions between Iran and the United States escalated on Wednesday after Tehran warned that any new American military strike could trigger a conflict extending beyond the Middle East region.

The latest threat followed comments by US President Donald Trump, who disclosed that he was close to authorising another military operation against Iran before deciding to delay the move to allow diplomatic talks to continue.

Speaking at the White House on Tuesday, Trump said he had nearly approved a fresh bombing campaign targeting Iran.

“I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump told reporters, while warning that military action remained possible if ongoing negotiations fail.

The warning comes six weeks after Trump paused the military operation known as “Operation Epic Fury” under a temporary ceasefire arrangement aimed at creating room for diplomacy. However, efforts to secure a long-term peace deal between Washington and Tehran have reportedly stalled.

Earlier reports revealed that Iran submitted a new peace proposal to the United States, demanding control over the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damages, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen Iranian assets, and withdrawal of US troops from parts of the Middle East.

READ ALSO:

The proposal was reportedly rejected by the Trump administration.

Reacting to Trump’s latest remarks, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) renewed threats of retaliation against American interests and countries hosting US military bases across the region.

In a statement carried by Iranian state media on Wednesday, the IRGC warned that any renewed aggression from Washington would spark a broader conflict outside the Middle East.

“If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” the statement said.

The development has further heightened global fears over a possible expansion of the Iran-US conflict, particularly around the strategically important Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s busiest oil shipping routes.

Analysts warn that any escalation could disrupt global crude oil supplies, increase tensions across the Gulf region, and trigger fresh instability in international energy markets.

The renewed standoff also comes amid rising concerns over Iran’s nuclear programme, ongoing sanctions, and the growing military presence of the United States and its allies in the Middle East.

Diplomatic observers say the coming days could prove critical as both countries continue negotiations while simultaneously exchanging threats of military action.

Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again

Loading

Continue Reading

International

Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured

Published

on

Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured

Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured

Spanish authorities have arrested a 25-year-old man on suspicion of killing his parents and injuring four other people, including two babies, during a deadly mass shooting in the southern Spanish town of El Ejido near Almería.

According to the Guardia Civil, the shooting occurred shortly after 11:00 p.m. local time on Monday in the El Canalillo area of El Ejido, a municipality located in the Andalusia region of southern Spain.

Police confirmed that two people died in the attack, while four others sustained serious injuries and were rushed to nearby hospitals for emergency treatment.

Spanish media reports identified the deceased victims as the suspect’s parents, who were allegedly found inside a vehicle riddled with bullets near the scene of the attack.

Among those injured were two young children, including a seven-month-old baby believed to be the suspect’s son, according to local reports. An 18-month-old child was also seriously injured during the shooting.

READ ALSO:

Authorities further confirmed that a 60-year-old man was among those wounded in the incident, though officials have not yet publicly disclosed the identities of all victims.

Following the shooting, the suspect reportedly fled the area, triggering a police manhunt involving heavily armed security operatives and emergency response teams. However, Spanish news agency Europa Press later reported that the suspect eventually surrendered himself at a local police station.

The Guardia Civil said investigations are ongoing to determine the motive behind the attack, including whether domestic disputes, mental health issues, or other personal factors may have contributed to the shooting.

Spanish investigators are also examining how the suspect obtained the firearm used in the attack, amid reports suggesting he may not have possessed a valid firearms licence.

Emergency medical personnel and specialized police units were deployed immediately after authorities received multiple reports of gunfire late Monday night.

The incident has shocked residents across the Andalusia region and reignited concerns over gun violence, although mass shootings remain relatively rare in Spain due to strict firearm regulations and comparatively low gun-crime rates.

According to Project Insight, a European gun violence monitoring initiative, only four mass shootings were recorded in Spain between 2000 and 2023.

Local authorities in El Ejido expressed condolences to the affected families and pledged full cooperation with investigators as the case continues to unfold.

Meanwhile, officials urged the public to avoid speculation while police complete forensic examinations and gather witness statements connected to the deadly attack.

Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured

Loading

Continue Reading

International

Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles

Published

on

Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles

Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles

A fast-moving Simi Valley wildfire has forced authorities to expand evacuation warnings across communities along the Ventura County and Los Angeles County border as firefighters battle intense flames threatening homes, schools, and critical infrastructure across Southern California.

The blaze, identified as the Sandy fire, erupted on Monday morning in Ventura County and rapidly spread through dry vegetation fueled by strong winds and hot weather conditions. By Monday evening, the fire had scorched approximately 1,364 acres and remained at 0 per cent containment, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire).

Officials confirmed that at least one home and another structure were destroyed as the wildfire intensified, raising fears of further damage if weather conditions worsen.

Evacuation warnings and mandatory evacuation orders were expanded across large parts of southern Simi Valley and surrounding county-line communities, including areas near Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Hidden Hills, Chatsworth, West Hills, Lake Manor, and northern Thousand Oaks.

According to Ventura County officials, more than 28,600 residents were under evacuation orders or warnings as emergency crews worked to prevent the fire from spreading deeper into populated areas.

READ ALSO:

Authorities urged residents in affected communities to remain prepared to evacuate immediately, especially elderly individuals, families with children, and residents requiring additional time to relocate safely.

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass confirmed that although the wildfire was burning in Ventura County, the Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) had deployed significant resources to support containment efforts and protect nearby Los Angeles communities.

“While the Sandy Fire is in Ventura County, the Los Angeles Fire Department continues to closely monitor the situation and has deployed resources on the ground — including strike teams, a hand crew, and helicopters — to assist local crews in firefighting efforts,” Bass said in a statement.

She added that the city had strategically positioned firefighting resources throughout the San Fernando Valley to respond rapidly if the fire advanced toward Los Angeles neighborhoods.

Fire officials confirmed that more than 500 firefighters, along with helicopters, bulldozers, hand crews, water tenders, and strike teams, had been mobilized as part of ongoing containment operations.

The wildfire also triggered growing air quality concerns across Ventura County and parts of Los Angeles County as thick smoke drifted into nearby communities.

Jamie Stewart, spokesperson for the fire department, warned that shifting winds were carrying smoke into the Los Angeles region, potentially affecting vulnerable residents.

“Winds are carrying smoke from the Sandy fire into Los Angeles, and air quality may be impacted,” Stewart said. “If you are sensitive to smoke or have respiratory conditions, stay indoors, keep windows closed, and limit outdoor activity.”

In a separate but related development, another wildfire known as the Burro fire broke out Monday near Burro Peak in the Angeles National Forest. The U.S. Forest Service reported that the fire had burned approximately 30 acres by Monday night and was about 20 per cent contained, with officials describing its spread as moderate.

The fires have also disrupted education across the region. Officials with the Simi Valley Unified School District confirmed that at least seven schools were directly impacted after falling within evacuation zones, forcing temporary closures and emergency safety measures.

California authorities have repeatedly warned that dry vegetation, rising temperatures, and gusty winds are increasing wildfire risks across Southern California as the state enters another potentially dangerous fire season.

Emergency management agencies continue to monitor weather conditions closely as firefighters work around the clock to prevent additional destruction and protect threatened communities.

Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending