metro
Osun gov refutes claim of protecting Amotekun commander wanted for killings
Osun gov refutes claim of protecting Amotekun commander wanted for killings
Osun state governor, Ademola Adeleke, has denied allegations by the All Progressives Congress (APC) of sheltering the commander of the Osun Amotekun corps, Adekunle Omoyele, who is wanted by the police over the killing of residents in Akinlalu community, Ife north local government area.
The APC, in a statement issued by its spokesperson, Kola Olabisi, on Sunday, October 12, accused Adeleke of protecting Omoyele to prevent his arrest, describing the act as “condemnable, irresponsible, wicked, and unpatriotic.”
The party urged the governor to show genuine respect for the rule of law by cooperating with the police and handing over the Amotekun boss for investigation.
The opposition party said reports circulating in Osogbo suggested that Omoyele had been hiding in the government house to evade arrest, insisting that governor Adeleke must be held accountable if the allegations were true.
It added that Adeleke’s earlier praise for the police’s “professional handling” of the case would be meaningless if he continued to shield suspects.
The APC further alleged that the governor’s conduct reflected a pattern of “aiding and abetting impunity,” citing previous incidents involving Omoyele, his former chief security officer, who went into hiding after his reported assassination claim was dismissed by the police.
In response, governor Adeleke, through his spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed, rejected the accusations as unfounded, describing them as “another attempt by a desperate opposition to remain relevant.”
He reaffirmed his administration’s confidence in the police investigation and said his government would not interfere in the process.
READ ALSO:
- ‘Long and painful nightmare finally over,’ Trump tells Israel’s parliament
- Middle East ‘doomed’ without Palestinian state, King of Jordan
- Ahmed Musa condemns Pillars fans for attacking referees, Shooting Stars players
“The Akinlalu case is strictly a matter of law and order under the jurisdiction of the inspector-general of police,” Adeleke’s statement read.
“The police are actively investigating, and our administration will not intervene. We urge the public to avoid politicising this unfortunate incident. The APC’s claims are baseless and aimed at destabilising the state. We will not yield to blackmail.”
The controversy follows the September 30, 2025, incident in Akinlalu, where Amotekun operatives opened fire on residents, killing three people and injuring several others.
The victims were identified as Ibrahim Oyebamiji (26), Sefiu Oyebamiji, and Abiola Olutayo.
Injured persons included Adeagbo Kadijat (22), Oke-Ila Oyebamiji (60), and Fayomi Toheeb (19).
Police reports indicated that Amotekun officers removed the corpses from the scene.
While the corps admitted its men shot three people, it claimed the victims were among hoodlums who ambushed its operatives during an attempt to recover stolen rifles.
The Inspector-general of police, Kayode Egbetokun, has since deployed a special team from Force Headquarters to handle the investigation.
Five Amotekun operatives have been arrested, while commander Omoyele has yet to respond to police summons, a situation that sparked the APC’s latest criticism of the governor.
As investigations continue, the incident has intensified political tensions in Osun state, with the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the APC trading accusations over the handling of the tragedy.
Osun gov refutes claim of protecting Amotekun commander wanted for killings
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Sports2 days agoWAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
-
Politics2 days agoDavido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
