Education
Kaduna student shot dead, el-Rufai denies deploying operatives against protesters
A student of the Kaduna State College of Education, Gidan Waya, was on Monday shot dead while protesting an increase in tuition fees of the school.
He was said to have joined his colleagues, who were protesting the hike in school fees, when security operatives made attempt to disperse them.
One of the protesters, who preferred anonymity, told Daily Trust that they came out to protest the increase of school fees in the state-owned institution when they met security operatives outside the college.
Kaduna State Governor Nasir el-rufai in a statement, signed by the Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs in Kaduna, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed the incident but denied sending security operatives to suppress the protesters.
He called for a thorough investigation into the death, promising to make the report public, just as he commiserated with the family of the deceased.
The statement read, “The Kaduna State Government is awaiting full reports on Monday’s protest by students of the Kaduna State College of Education, Gidan Waya.
“In the preliminary report received so far, one student lost his life and some others were wounded, while three security personnel also sustained injuries.”
“The Governor of Kaduna State, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, condoled the family of the student that lost his life, and wished the students and operatives who sustained injuries speedy recovery. The government of Kaduna State also wishes to debunk reports that it deployed security operatives to suppress protesting students. The KDSG is awaiting briefings to enable it to understand the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate violent incidence in Gidan Waya.”
“At the time of this update, the governor is awaiting reports from the military, police, DSS, the management of the institution, the student union as well as the traditional institution in the area. The government will publish its findings after receipt of the expected reports.”
Education
Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has confirmed that more than 1.5 million candidates have registered for the 2026 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), as the deadline for e‑PIN vending and registration rapidly approaches.
In a statement released in Abuja by the board’s Public Communication Advisor, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, the board said the sale of e‑PINs — required for candidates to proceed with registration at accredited centers — will close at midnight on Thursday, February 26, 2026, while actual registration at centres will end on Saturday, February 28, 2026.
According to JAMB, its daily registration capacity stands at 100,000 candidates, but most centres are currently operating at roughly 30 per cent capacity, indicating that a significant number of eligible candidates have yet to register. The board emphasised that there will be no extension of the registration window, explaining that the schedule aligns with the national examination calendar and is coordinated to allow other examination bodies to conduct their exercises without conflict.
READ ALSO:
- FG Seals Plateau Mine After 37 Killed in Toxic Gas Tragedy
- Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau
- Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy
JAMB urged candidates to secure their e‑PINs early and complete registration at accredited CBT centres without delay. The board warned that last-minute registration could result in avoidable challenges and reiterated that it will not entertain appeals for deadline extensions.
The 2026 UTME is scheduled to hold from April 16 to April 25 and will determine admission into universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education across Nigeria. JAMB also assured candidates that all testing centres would have adequate security, technical support, and invigilation to ensure a smooth and credible examination process.
Education experts and stakeholders have encouraged candidates to register promptly and take advantage of preparatory resources offered online and at local centres. State education authorities have also organised orientation programmes to guide students through registration, examination, and post-UTME procedures.
JAMB continues to provide updates and guidance through its official portal and social media channels, ensuring that candidates have access to information about registration, examination procedures, and exam day requirements.
Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
Education
BREAKING: Academic Activities Halted as ASUU Resumes Strike
BREAKING: Academic Activities Halted as ASUU Resumes Strike
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Taraba State University (TSU) branch, has resumed an indefinite strike, citing the failure of the Taraba State Government to honour agreements reached earlier with the union.
The industrial action comes weeks after ASUU suspended its earlier strike following negotiations held on January 17, 2025, a move the union said was done in good faith to allow the government time to meet its commitments. According to ASUU, those promises were not fulfilled, forcing lecturers to withdraw their services again.
In a statement issued in Jalingo, the ASUU TSU branch chairman, Joshua Garba Mbave, said the government failed to take practical and verifiable steps toward resolving the lingering issues affecting staff welfare.
READ ALSO:
- Ramadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
- Tinubu Urges Senate to Confirm Yusuf for NAHCON, Marafa for INEC
- Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League
The union said its congress meeting held on February 18, 2026, reviewed developments since the suspension of the strike and unanimously agreed to resume the total, comprehensive, and indefinite strike.
ASUU listed several unresolved demands, including unpaid salary arrears, non-payment of Earned Academic Allowances, the absence of a functional pension scheme for university workers, and the failure to implement the 2025 ASUU–Federal Government agreement applicable to state-owned universities.
Dr. Mbave warned that the continued neglect of these issues has crippled staff morale, worsened economic hardship for lecturers, and disrupted academic stability at Taraba State University. He stressed that sustained dialogue with the Taraba State Government had produced no concrete outcome.
As a result of the renewed strike, academic activities at Taraba State University have been suspended indefinitely, with students advised to remain at home until further notice.
BREAKING: Academic Activities Halted as ASUU Resumes Strike
Education
Check Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
Check Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
The University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) has released a new list of students eligible to apply for the 2024/2025 NELFUND refund, according to the UNILORIN Students’ Union (SU). Students who paid school fees before NELFUND disbursed funds directly to the university are now required to check their names and submit refund requests through the proper channels.
The official refund eligibility list has been shared in an Excel spreadsheet format and contains verified student details, including full name, matriculation number, department, and eligibility status. Students can search the file using their name or matric number to confirm their eligibility.
Those whose names appear on the list are instructed to fill the official refund form and submit supporting documents, including fee receipts and bank account details, to the Student Affairs Unit (SAU) or their respective Dean’s Office. The refund disbursement is gradual and ongoing, depending on NELFUND fund release schedules.
READ ALSO:
- Argungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu
- US Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop
- Afenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
For students whose names are not on the current list, they are advised to check their NELFUND portal status at portal.nelf.gov.ng and ensure all records are correctly verified. UNILORIN and the Students’ Union have also clarified that this is not the final list, as additional batches of eligible students may be added as verification continues.
Students are urged to act promptly, as following the prescribed procedures will ensure timely refund of fees paid in advance.
How to Check Your Eligibility
Students can confirm their eligibility by viewing the official list published by the university. To streamline verification, a table of students in the Department of Accounting and select departments is presented below.
| S/N | Matric Number | Student Name | Programme | Level | Department |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | 20/66MA093 | Johnson Babatunde Ogunwunmiju | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 2 | 21/66MA002 | Zainab Oreoluwa Abdulrahmon | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 3 | 21/66MA021 | Shukurat Oluwapelumi Adetunji | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 4 | 21/66MA038 | Josephine Oluwateniola Akoki | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 5 | 21/66MA049 | Vivian Member Aun | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 6 | 21/66MA054 | Yusuf Olamilekan Babatunde | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 7 | 21/66MA065 | Precious John Elijah | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 8 | 21/66MA083 | Mariam Omowunmi Issa | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 9 | 21/66MA088 | Toyosi Kolade | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 10 | 21/66MA091 | Ayanfe Olaoluwa Makanjuola | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
Note: The above table shows a partial list for illustration. The full list includes hundreds of students across various faculties and levels.
UNILORIN NELFUND Refund List 2025/2026
Check Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News3 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro3 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
International19 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
metro3 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News2 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


