International
UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure
UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure
The United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada have condemned Israel’s decision to close a criminal investigation into the 2024 killing of seven World Central Kitchen (WCK) aid workers in Gaza, calling the move “shameful” and “both too little, and too late.” The announcement came on World Humanitarian Day, August 19, 2026, a timing the three governments described as “particularly egregious.”
The Israeli military announced on August 19 that it would not pursue criminal proceedings into the April 1, 2024 strike on the WCK convoy, saying there was no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct. The attack killed seven humanitarian workers who were delivering food to civilians in Gaza. The victims included Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom, three British security personnel, a dual Canadian-US citizen Jacob Flickinger, Polish national Damian Sobol, and Palestinian Saifeddin Issam Ayad Abutaha. The deadly strike occurred despite the convoy having coordinated its route with the Israeli military, and the vehicles were clearly marked with the WCK logo.
In a joint statement issued on August 21, the foreign ministries of the three countries said they had spent more than two years pressing Israel to conduct a swift and thorough investigation into the attack and hold those responsible to account. The governments noted that at the time, the Israel Defense Forces had described the incident as a serious mistake and failure, and that in the more than two years since, they had been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account. The statement said the decision to close the case without further explanation was “shameful” and that announcing it on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honoured the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious. The governments stressed that the World Central Kitchen attack was not an isolated incident, arguing that the lack of accountability extended to numerous other incidents involving humanitarian workers in Gaza, noting that despite a fragile ceasefire, Gaza remains the deadliest place to deliver aid, with 186 humanitarian workers killed in 2025.
READ ALSO:
- 2027: Wike Declares Adeleke Belongs to Tinubu Camp, Predicts ‘Largest Rainbow Coalition’
- Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break
- Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million
Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong separately expressed outrage at the decision, stating that the Israeli military’s response fell short of the standards of accountability Australia expected following the killing of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six other WCK workers. Wong summoned Israel’s ambassador to Australia, Hillel Newman, to express her concerns and later acknowledged that relations between Australia and Israel were at a “difficult time.” She said the government had learned of Israel’s decision moments before it was announced on World Humanitarian Day, which she described as “especially insulting to Zomi’s loved ones, humanitarians and all Australians.” The foreign minister said key questions remained unanswered, including why two further strikes followed the initial attack, each two minutes apart, why the strikes occurred in a humanitarian “fire control” zone, and Israel’s repeated refusals to hand over audio evidence of the attack. Wong stated that Australia did not have confidence in the IDF’s Military Advocate-General’s process given the many unanswered questions.
Frankcom’s family expressed deep disappointment and called on the Australian government to pursue all available legal avenues for an independent and credible investigation. Her brother, Josh Frankcom, said Israel’s decision was “simply not good enough.” The family has been vocal in demanding accountability for Zomi’s death, and they have questioned why the Israeli military has not provided a satisfactory explanation for the attack.
Israeli Ambassador to Australia Hillel Newman defended the military investigation, saying it was thorough and that the findings should not be attacked if they were not suitable to one’s political agenda. He said the IDF conceded serious failures had led soldiers to mistakenly believe a Hamas fighter was travelling with the convoy, but concluded there was no criminal intent. Newman said Israel was open to discussing reparations for Frankcom’s family if a formal request was lodged, but he stopped short of offering a formal apology, saying doing so could have legal ramifications. The IDF’s decision came alongside announcements that it would open criminal investigations into two other high-profile Gaza incidents: the killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab and six family members in January 2024, and the killing of 15 rescue workers in a Rafah convoy in March 2024. The United Nations has accused Israel of failing to provide adequate accountability for civilian deaths in Gaza, and the latest decision is likely to deepen international isolation for Israel.
UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure
![]()
International
North Korea Fires 10+ Missiles Hours After Trump Signals Fresh Kim Summit
International
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
![]()
International
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
Justice Department Unseals 14-Count Superseding Indictment Alleging Massive Hacking Operation Conducted on Behalf of Iranian Government and IRGC
The United States has charged 17 Iranian nationals in connection with an alleged massive cyber-theft campaign that targeted hundreds of universities, private companies, government agencies, and non-governmental organisations across the globe. The US Department of Justice announced on Tuesday that a 14-count superseding indictment had been unsealed against members of the Mabna Institute, an Iran-based company accused of conducting coordinated cyber intrusions since at least 2013, according to multiple reports.
The indictment, which has been assigned to US District Judge Jesse M. Furman in the Southern District of New York, represents one of the most extensive cyber-related prosecutions ever brought against Iranian actors. Nine of the 17 defendants were previously charged in a seven-count indictment announced in March 2018, while Tuesday’s superseding indictment adds eight additional defendants to the case, expanding the scope of the alleged criminal enterprise.
Assistant Attorney General for National Security John Eisenberg stated that the defendants allegedly hacked universities and research institutions worldwide at the behest of entities including Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), stealing large volumes of information and intellectual property. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) also stated that the defendants allegedly operated a “hacking-for-hire” network targeting intellectual property belonging to American and allied universities, companies, and government agencies for the benefit of the Iranian government. The US authorities stressed that an indictment is merely an allegation and that all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
READ ALSO:
- Police Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
- WMotors takes Jetour Africa Expedition to Lagos, Puts SUVs to Off-Road Test
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
The alleged hacking campaign targeted a staggering number of victims globally, including 144 US-based universities and 178 foreign universities, totalling 322 academic institutions worldwide. The hackers are alleged to have targeted more than 100,000 university professor accounts globally and successfully compromised about 8,000 accounts across the identified universities. The campaign, which began around 2013 and continued through at least December 2017, targeted academic research and intellectual property across fields including science and technology, engineering, social sciences, and medicine.
The Justice Department said the hackers stole at least 31.5 terabytes of academic data and intellectual property, including journals, theses, dissertations, and electronic books. Some of the stolen material was allegedly sold through websites operated or affiliated with members of the conspiracy, transforming stolen academic resources into a profitable underground enterprise. Beyond universities, the defendants allegedly compromised employee email accounts at at least 42 US-based private companies, 11 foreign companies, and several government agencies and non-governmental organisations.
The alleged hacking campaign extended beyond academic institutions to include several high-profile government and non-governmental organisations. The Justice Department identified the following entities as among those targeted: the US Department of Labor, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the states of Hawaii and Indiana, the United Nations, and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The superseding indictment also alleges that members of the group targeted HBO and were involved in hacking private companies and government entities, causing victims to incur more than $20 million in investigation and remediation costs.
A central element of the indictment is the alleged connection between the Mabna Institute and Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). The Justice Department alleged that many of the cyber intrusions were conducted on behalf of the IRGC and other Iranian government and university clients. The Mabna Institute was founded around 2013 by Gholamreza Rafatnejad and Ehsan Mohammadi, according to the Justice Department. The organisation allegedly assisted Iranian universities and research institutions in obtaining unauthorised access to scientific resources outside Iran while also providing hacking services to Iranian government and private entities.
This mirrors actions taken by the US Treasury Department in March 2018, when it announced sanctions against the Mabna Institute and 10 individuals, stating that the group had been acting at the behest of the IRGC. The Treasury Department had also noted that one of the hackers involved had attempted to extort $6 million from a US media company and was previously indicted in November 2017, demonstrating a pattern of aggressive cyber-operations and financial extortion.
The US Department of State’s Rewards for Justice programme is offering up to $10 million for information leading to the location of five of the defendants: Behzad Mesri, Mojtaba Galekuhi, Arman Kahzadian, Keyvan Fayaz, and Saber Shahbazi Ballojeh. This substantial reward reflects the seriousness with which US authorities view these alleged cyber-operations and their commitment to bringing the perpetrators to justice.
The case highlights the persistent challenge of state-sponsored cyber-operations and the ongoing efforts by US authorities to hold perpetrators accountable through legal and financial measures. With the charged individuals believed to be outside the United States and no extradition treaty with Iran, their apprehension remains uncertain. However, the US continues to pursue international cooperation and legal avenues to bring them to justice, signalling that such cyber-operations will not go unanswered.
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
![]()
-
Insurance2 days agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
metro1 day agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
Health3 days agoStage 4 Cancer: Understanding Ogogo’s Diagnosis and Treatment Options
-
metro2 days agoUS Court Grants Four-Day Extension for Release of Tinubu Drug-Trafficking Records
-
Auto2 days agoNew Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
-
Business2 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
metro1 day agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
metro2 days agoPolice Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
